IGNORED

VAR

GTFABM

15 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I don't have a problem with the concept of VAR, but the way it's applied is terrible. I'd make the following changes:

1) the ref has to ask for it and ask the video ref to look for a specific infringement

2) the video ref has no more than 60 seconds to review the footage and the ref doesn't get a pitch side monitor. If it takes more than that to determine if someone is offside or it's a handball, then it's not an egregious error

For me the ref shouldn’t even have to get involved with VAR decisions. If the VAR officials can’t decide on whether a rule breakage has happened then play should just go on.

VAR should stay out of offside decisions unless a lineman has made a clear mistake.

Don’t get me started on the handball rule. Combination of that and VAR together is ruining the game.

I miss the days of refs actually treating players as human beings and being able to decide what is intentional and needs punishing and what isn’t and should just be let go. Ok, that may lead to some terrible refereeing performances but then the officials are humans too. It’s just part of the game

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

The other thing is the rules are shocking. Handball - just put it back to deliberate. At the moment you can be sent off for a ball blasted at 60mph from 4 yards away whilst running to defend your goal. An absolute nonsense.

On 90% of the pitch it still has to be deliberate. 
It was only the pundits and commentators on the tv that made such a big deal about penalties not being given a couple of years ago, that it got debated. The rest is history.

All technology in football is a farce imo, and I’ve said it from the start.

Go back to having the 25 humans on the pitch deciding football matches.

Yes, there will be mistakes as there always has been, but at least we will get our game back.

As it is, it’s a farce.

But, I will say it,  so many on here wanted it, and those of you who did, were warned how it would pan out, and you didn’t want to listen!.

The way forward for VAR is to apply the same rules used in hockey. Each team has one video umpire appeal. Asked for  by captain if your referral is unsuccessful it is forfeited to make another appeal during game. If referral is successful you retain a referral Umpire can ask VU at any time but rarely use it to overturn their original decision. 
Much better than the total shambles that is being used currently in football. 
I agree with Dean tonight why should you have it at a premiership ground but in no other game. 

Just now, Portland Bill said:

On 90% of the pitch it still has to be deliberate. 
It was only the pundits and commentators on the tv that made such a big deal about penalties not being given a couple of years ago, that it got debated. The rest is history.

All technology in football is a farce imo, and I’ve said it from the start.

Go back to having the 25 humans on the pitch deciding football matches.

Yes, there will be mistakes as there always has been, but at least we will get our game back.

As it is, it’s a farce.

But, I will say it,  so many on here wanted it, and those of you who did l, were warned how it would pan out, and you didn’t want to listen!.

Well the only thing I would disagree about is goal line technology which has been great except that Villa thing. But I think that is only thing that has gone wrong which isn't bad.

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

Well the only thing I would disagree about is goal line technology which has been great except that Villa thing. But I think that is only thing that has gone wrong which isn't bad.

I know a lot of people still want the goal line technology. I would agree to keep it if they got rid of the rest of it!
As it is, the game is being won or list by tv cameras rather than footballers!.

Just now, Portland Bill said:

I know a lot of people still want the goal line technology. I would agree to keep it if they got rid of the rest of it!

I didn't want goal line tenchnology but happy to say I've been proven wrong on that. But VAR has gone too far and I was right (for once) on that.

Just watched back @Super. Couple of muted appeals although nothing serious and when ball is cleared no one is seriously asking for a penalty. I think the time and effort wasted to find the exact correct decision (or not in some cases) is not a benefit to the game. I know nothing will change sadly but frustrating.

46 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I don't have a problem with the concept of VAR, but the way it's applied is terrible. I'd make the following changes:

1) the ref has to ask for it and ask the video ref to look for a specific infringement

2) the video ref has no more than 60 seconds to review the footage and the ref doesn't get a pitch side monitor. If it takes more than that to determine if someone is offside or it's a handball, then it's not an egregious error

I love that word, because, believe it or not, it used to mean something that was really good.

That’s the sending off - If we have to keep enduring this technology which to me is ruining the game then i think you should have to watch the replay in real time to see it a clear and obvious mistake has been made - I’m trying not to be biased but i still don’t know how he’s supposed to get his arm out the way as clearly goes for the ball with his leg 

If players are getting sent off, and being banned for the next game, and a team is having to play with 10 men for THAT, the game is ******.

Simple as that. Penalty being awarded, I can just about accept, although it's still accidental to me.

The red card and the VAR nonsense, is just a joke.

12 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Unfortunately VAR is for the armchair fan - the only time clubs will start making it an issue is when season ticket sales decline because of it. I don’t want to watch football without the emotion of celebrating a goal or having everything checked. In time you will instinctively stop celebrating and then the moment is lost. It might be a small thing to some but to me it’s a big part of being an attending fan.

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

Unfortunately VAR is for the armchair fan - the only time clubs will start making it an issue is when season ticket sales decline because of it. I don’t watch to watch football without the emotion of celebrating a goal or having everything checked. In time you will instinctively stop celebrating and then the moment is lost. It might be a small thing to some but to me it’s a big part of being an attending fan.

Its not a small thing - its a huge thing. And is point that hasn't been mentioned on this thread as we've been discussing other things on VAR. But so much wrong with it.

Luckily I've only been to one game featuring VAR. 3rd place play-off of Nations League and even that game England had a goal disallowed that not one player complained about at the time. The game before against Holland we had a goal ruled out for someone's toe being offside - its that kind of stuff that kills the emotion. If an opposition team scores a winner and their toe is offside then I'm not going to care about that and 99% of people don't. It's when they are a yard off that we vent and the move on. VAR is not required and adds nothing.

11 hours ago, Dottie said:

As far as the cup is concerned, if VAR can’t be used in all games, it shouldn’t be used at all. 

This, a million times this. I've been banging on from the first game they used it in. 
IT IS NO LONGER A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD !

The whole thing relies on the luck of the draw. Regardless of results, a decision studded and analysed in slow motion for 5 minutes at one venue , versus a split second naked eye decision at another. The Cup should be the same rules over every game in that competition, or none of them.

12 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Goal line tech is very black and white, it's over the line or it isn't. The VAR decisions they are coming up with are a joke. Trying to judge offsides to the mm when they don't have the tech to do it. Giving Pens for someones feet miraculously going from under them, when touched on the shoulder, slow it down, he touched him, has to be a Pen... complete shit IMO

A significant number of supporters (and players) said before it all started - why bother?

Yes sometimes decisions are wrong and it can annoy you or make you laugh depending on your support - now we spend ages and still get decisions wrong.

It was never needed, redundant before we even tried it - get rid and get back to football and moaning about a Human Being making a genuine error rather than a Machine ruining our game.

VAR is ****ing stupid, is killing the game and must be dispensed with immediately.

Reasoning:

It demonstrably does not reduce errors though itself creates errors (sic) that otherwise normally wouldn't exist;

It wholly undermines the onfield officials;

It slows the game irritating fans;

It permits meaningless passages of play that may or may not be significant (so how the hell do I know whether or not to get excited?)

It runs contrary to the spirit of the Laws of football in that football, at all levels, is adjudicated on a common basis.

Although in the past fans were sometimes irate at decisions that went against them they were equally ecstatic when, '..we got away with one there...' or the plain old, '..couldn't tell either way.' And that's how football should be. Officials making immediate, impartial  judgements to the best of their ability. Not bothered they're always right, just that the spirit and meaning behind them is fair. Gave us something to talk about during the post match beer.

Last night, in real time, the officials and pundits saw no offence, that only became apparent after multiple replays from, it seemed, only the one angle. Recall Law 12 says if the ball fleetingly glanced his hip first it's not a pen. In the real world, were there that level of doubt, it's reasonable to assume no offence had been committed. Worse, assume exactly the same incident occurred in a game played by our next opponents, a game not selected by the media such did not have VAR in operation. We get punished in both games by losing a player, our opponents do not. How is that equitable?

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

This, a million times this. I've been banging on from the first game they used it in. 
IT IS NO LONGER A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD !

The whole thing relies on the luck of the draw. Regardless of results, a decision studded and analysed in slow motion for 5 minutes at one venue , versus a split second naked eye decision at another. The Cup should be the same rules over every game in that competition, or none of them.

Goal line tech is very black and white, it's over the line or it isn't. The VAR decisions they are coming up with are a joke. Trying to judge offsides to the mm when they don't have the tech to do it. Giving Pens for someones feet miraculously going from under them, when touched on the shoulder, slow it down, he touched him, has to be a Pen... complete shit IMO

Very much so. VAR came on the agenda when tv companies started freeze framing offside decisions and trying to prove linesman were wrong.

What they forget to tell you is the Lino has to watch the ball get played first, then look along the line. The tv companies ( var) seem to want the ‘perfect’ game, where everything is 100% correct. Whereas in reality, strikers miss sitters, defenders score own goals and the Lino misses an offside by 6 inches.

Just get it out of our game, it’s destroying it.

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Very much so. VAR came on the agenda when tv companies started freeze framing offside decisions and trying to prove linesman were wrong.

What they forget to tell you is the Lino has to watch the ball get played first, then look along the line. The tv companies ( var) seem to want the ‘perfect’ game, where everything is 100% correct. Whereas in reality, strikers miss sitters, defenders score own goals and the Lino misses an offside by 6 inches.

Just get it out of our game, it’s destroying it.

Being a lino is actually extremely difficult job. The best I've seen is Sian Massey who rarely gets even the tightest of calls wrong and that should be the standard we aim for. Not having VAR as a substitute for good officials.

This thread is principally discussing the penalty/red card incident but did anyone hear JP say that they were checking VAR after Max had his rush of blood to see whether he`d handled outside the box? When he said it, we must have been playing for two or three minutes after it happened.

If anyone still wants it just think what would have happened with one of our greatest moments in recent years if we had it at AG. No `and it`s Smith` as they would certainly have found a marginal offside (Matty Taylor) in the build up and even if they hadn`t would anyone have wanted to wait five minutes while they looked before celebrating?

Get rid of it - it`s sucking the life out of the game. No-one ever walked out of a ground saying `ah well, we`d have gone up if that goal had stood rather than his toe being offside but at least all the decisions were checked and corrected in a satisfactory manner`.

I honestly think I`m done with football if we ever have to use it for City games. It`s an overused expression but `the game`s gone`.

OK, keep VAR, but use it like DRS in cricket.

There the umpire can use it if he's unsure of something and both teams are allowed wo reviews.

Get it right and hey still have two, each time they get it wrong that's one less review left.  

4 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Being a lino is actually extremely difficult job. The best I've seen is Sian Massey who rarely gets even the tightest of calls wrong and that should be the standard we aim for. Not having VAR as a substitute for good officials.

We have 5,000 Lino’s in the Dolman stand that have never ever got a decision wrong ?

Just now, BigTone said:

Just bin the crock of shite. Ruining the game even more.

They won’t bin it though Tone. The tv companies love it, and it’s them that now control football. 
Football is a tv programme to most in the Uk now, millions of tv football experts have never stepped inside a ground, but know everything!! 
I work with loads of people who have never watched a live football match, but know it all, and recently they are now all expert referees as well!!.

They all love VAR, they spend each day saying how “we” were robbed ( Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs,Arsenal etc! ) last night, and all saying what the correct decision should have been. But none of them actually know the laws of the game when pushed.

VAR isn’t for us, the people who go to games, it’s for tv audiences.

Perhaps all supporters should organise a boycott of games when football crowds are allowed back in.

It may just wake a few people up!

10 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

They won’t bin it though Tone. The tv companies love it, and it’s them that now control football. 
Football is a tv programme to most in the Uk now, millions of tv football experts have never stepped inside a ground, but know everything!! 
I work with loads of people who have never watched a live football match, but know it all, and recently they are now all expert referees as well!!.

They all love VAR, they spend each day saying how “we” were robbed ( Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs,Arsenal etc! ) last night, and all saying what the correct decision should have been. But none of them actually know the laws of the game when pushed.

VAR isn’t for us, the people who go to games, it’s for tv audiences.

Perhaps all supporters should organise a boycott of games when football crowds are allowed back in.

It may just wake a few people up!

I know you are right but I just hate it.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

OK, keep VAR, but use it like DRS in cricket.

There the umpire can use it if he's unsure of something and both teams are allowed wo reviews.

Get it right and hey still have two, each time they get it wrong that's one less review left.  

And can you imagine Warnock et al disrupting the game to suit on spurious challenges. It's already bad enough with multiple substitutions.

Archived