IGNORED

Coaching

1team

Obvious selection problem, at our most threatening without a “recognised” striker! Wells no threat, can’t hold up the ball, gives away needless fouls and too selfish to be a team player, Fam - personality does not make him a top striker, woeful ball control and wasteful in possession. 
Holden takes them both off and puts Semenyo up front - too late to change the game but a hell of a lot more entertaining.

Get a priest in the dressing room, cleanse the spirit of LJ past!

Interesting that DH said last night (paraphrased) - “I’ve been guilty of changing too much and I kinda went back to Dean Holden’s system of early season”.

OP - I don’t think formation was all over the shop last night, unless you mean the constant changes over a series of games.  Thought it’s the most solid we’ve been in weeks.

The formation changes through subs after the red card made sense and we actually managed to build a bit of possession of sorts, albeit not easy with 10 men.

Last night the problem was up top.  Yes, Wells should’ve passed, but he was far brighter than Diedhiou, who pretty much ambled around all night.  One of them is planning on being here next season, the other isn’t.  I’d stick Diedhiou on the bench, he has added very little in the last 4 1/2 games since his 20-minute brace against Huddersfield.  It is fairly standard than Diedhiou plays in spurts, in the last 18 months it appears to coincide with when his place feels threatened.  Was the January spurt his shop window.

For me, if he does sign a contract it will be a huge mistake.  It is about money, and I don’t blame him for that, his prerogative.  We don’t need to be spending £25-30k per week on a player who doesn’t want to be here.  Ignore the Knowle and UptheRobins tweets.  He’s made his position clear, and the fact that we might still be chasing his signature is poor from MA.

So we are left with Wells and Semenyo.  Our coaches need to find a way of playing them together, I think that’s possible, or on their own.  That should be their priority, not persisting with Diedhiou.  That’s just putting off the inevitable.  Start coaching what is gonna be here and committed for the rest of the season, and maybe beyond.

Its quite possible Pato could be the false-forward again, like with Reid, and spark either of Wells and Semenyo.

15 hours ago, JonDolman said:

It must be bloody hard to coach a team to pass the ball when it has Fam and Wells up top.

Semenyo up there on his own did more in one move than those 2 combined!

It's as much a selection mistake as it is coaching imo.

I think we are missing Weimann a lot - and those who tried to make him the latest scapegoat for our lack of progress and results before his injury probably only realise now that he has fabulous footballing ability. And when you add his experience, movement, speed of thought and work rate on top of that, you have a very good football player. You dunno what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone ...

Talking of Coaches what exactly do Cisse and Gilmarten do and why do we need them ?  When Cisse was brought in we were told it would encourage young foreign players to the club well that hasn't happened.. These two just seem to be stealing a living at BS3 and wages we could be used on players

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think we are missing Weimann a lot - and those who tried to make him the latest scapegoat for our lack of progress and results before his injury probably only realise now that he has fabulous footballing ability. And when you add his experience, movement, speed of thought and work rate on top of that, you have a very good football player. You dunno what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone ...

Yep, agree with all that. Add in versatility too, he made some strong self-sacrifice when put on the wing in 2018/19.

Contributed to the side...as a right sided forward ie in a 3 or a right sided midfielder more narrow fair enough but he's never a winger. Yet he contributed despite this.

All hindsight now but wonder whether Weimann through the middle in 2018/19, with an extra CM in for Diedhiou- Smith was injured so Morrell or Walsh it'd have been- would have given us a extra dimension. For some games anyway, as it was Pack- Weimann, Brownhill, Paterson, O'Dowda-Diedhiou.

Drop Walsh or especially Morrell in, it frees up Pack and Brownhill that little bit more, O'Dowda and Paterson still wide midfielders and Weimann through the middle...lot of interchanging and fluidity possible there IMO.

3 hours ago, westonred said:

Talking of Coaches what exactly do Cisse and Gilmarten do and why do we need them ?  When Cisse was brought in we were told it would encourage young foreign players to the club well that hasn't happened.. These two just seem to be stealing a living at BS3 and wages we could be used on players

Well they both coach but you are right since massengo no one has came here. Seems a bit daft but maybe the prices are inflated in France atm and its hard to bring these players in.

36 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Well they both coach but you are right since massengo no one has came here. Seems a bit daft but maybe the prices are inflated in France atm and its hard to bring these players in.

Pat Mountain is the goalkeeping coach so why do we need two ?

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep, agree with all that. Add in versatility too, he made some strong self-sacrifice when put on the wing in 2018/19.

Contributed to the side...as a right sided forward ie in a 3 or a right sided midfielder more narrow fair enough but he's never a winger. Yet he contributed despite this.

All hindsight now but wonder whether Weimann through the middle in 2018/19, with an extra CM in for Diedhiou- Smith was injured so Morrell or Walsh it'd have been- would have given us a extra dimension. For some games anyway, as it was Pack- Weimann, Brownhill, Paterson, O'Dowda-Diedhiou.

Drop Walsh or especially Morrell in, it frees up Pack and Brownhill that little bit more, O'Dowda and Paterson still wide midfielders and Weimann through the middle...lot of interchanging and fluidity possible there IMO.

Good post - I think you’re spot on about Walsh - his range of passing is so exciting - will we ever see the best of him?!

Presumably they don't have Covid, no income stream, or injuries in South Yorkshire because Barnsley have played absolutely brilliantly against their Premiership opponent tonight. And with an infinitely inferior team to ours.

Or could it be they've got an infinitely superior Coach??

Could the mighty Barnsley have persuaded someone who actually knows what he's doing to coach them??

31 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Presumably they don't have Covid, no income stream, or injuries in South Yorkshire because Barnsley have played absolutely brilliantly against their Premiership opponent tonight. And with an infinitely inferior team to ours.

Or could it be they've got an infinitely superior Coach??

Could the mighty Barnsley have persuaded someone who actually knows what he's doing to coach them??

Actually, just come here to say this. Ok they are.losing, but some invention on set pieces, created chances and just look like they know what they are doing all over the pitch.

Archived