IGNORED

We lack any sort of penetration

Major Isewater

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Scraping the barrel here, but I felt Semenyo offered more threat in his brief cameo than Wells and Famara. Perhaps the most prudent thing to do is give him a full run of starts now where possible. 

Semenyo is the only player we have who is capable of doing something ‘off the cuff’. We are a static, sterile side full of players who can pass the ball 15 yards, but incapable of going past anyone and actually creating anything.

Ive never watched a less entertaining City side in my 40 plus years, 

Then when we haven’t got the ball, we sit back get our shape and let the opposition do whatever they like, But never really look like we are capable of keeping them out.

Whatever happened to pressing, a poor Sheff U side were there for us to put some pressure on last night, we did nothing, just stood off and gave them all the time they needed.

5 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

He’s never scored 20 league goals in a season , even in League 2

And hit 20 in all competitions once in his career - whilst in League 2

He never was what many seemed to think

Fair point.

I still think we’ve wasted money on someone purely because of their reputation and are now trying to shoe horn him in. 

We should have bought someone who fits our system

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Semenyo is the only player we have who is capable of doing something ‘off the cuff’. We are a static, sterile side full of players who can pass the ball 15 yards, but incapable of going past anyone and actually creating anything.

Ive never watched a less entertaining City side in my 40 plus years, 

Then when we haven’t got the ball, we sit back get our shape and let the opposition do whatever they like, But never really look like we are capable of keeping them out. 

I agree but I'd expect the coaches to set the tone. Do they encourage them to take chances or to play safe. Why is it that, much as I think he has potential, Massengo plays everything short and rarely forward? 

I suspect it is due to being constantly dropped. Towler can be proud of his debut but understandably he took very few chances. Invariably, in possession, he played it to the nearest team mate. You can understand him not wanting to let the team down with a silly pass on his debut. However it feels like the whole side play that way most of the time. 

This might be lack of confidence I guess but surely this is where our coaching team should be taking a lead. Doesn't feel like they are being given any sort of encoragement to go for it. 

28 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Fair point.

I still think we’ve wasted money on someone purely because of their reputation and are now trying to shoe horn him in. 

We should have bought someone who fits our system

Said before - He was a ‘lazy’ buy off a unusuallly hot 3/4 months at QPR

Johnson was desperate for a new shiny toy to play with , Ashton ready to back him as he had promised to find a ‘proven 9’ as he kept saying

Johnson had no idea how he was going to use him , nor does Holden

Although I rate neither there is an element of Wells himself in that

Hes better than he’s shown here but he’s not what some seems to think he is (Lots getting excited purely because of a 3 month goal return) and I’m one who doesn’t like his overt body language or attitude 

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Said before - He was a ‘lazy’ buy off a unusuallly hot 3/4 months at QPR

Johnson was desperate for a new shiny toy to play with , Ashton ready to back him as he had promised to find a ‘proven 9’ as he kept saying

Johnson had no idea how he was going to use him , nor does Holden

Although I rate neither there is an element of Wells himself in that

Hes better than he’s shown here but he’s not what some seems to think he is (Lots getting excited purely because of a 3 month goal return) and I’m one who doesn’t like his overt body language or attitude 

I think Vydra could've fitted better.

In that January the talk was Vydra or Wells in part exchange or we buy one as part of the Brownhill deal. I preferred Vydra for the following reasons:

1) Younger.

2) Technically better than Wells.

3) Clearly more versatile.

4) Better all round game than Wells.

Some of those points overlap and merge but of the two, Vydra would have brought more to the table IMO.

Still think Wells would have had more to offer- not his QPR half season but more- if we played to his strengths a bit. Sticking him on the left or pairing with Diedhiou doesn't do this.

I can see the January business in theory if you set up correctly. Which we didn't.

Kalas and Benkovic of a profile to play a higher line, or indeed Kalas RCB, Baker CB, Benkovic LCB. Williams perhaps wasn't due to age and Baker generally wasn't. We saw Williams v Watkins against Brentford. Great head start and yet...

Then if you sign Henriksen I didn't see him as a direct replacement for Brownhill but would be effective in a 3. As he was at Hull. Wells would with the right midfield and team structure compensate with a few goals.

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Benkovic DaSilva

Henriksen Nagy Smith 

Weimann Wells Eliasson

Maybe structure the CM 3 differently but a starting point. Massengo energy also an option, could play Paterson on left, O'Dowda comes into consideration for certain roles.

Dont mind Kalas and Baker either if we're happier with more of a medium block, Rowe as part of that CM 3 can be option too, or could have back 4, CM 3 and then Palmer behind I dunno Wells and Weimann. Those two seemed to combine well at Middlesbrough last June.

My observation was tactically was we stood off and kept our shape, not my preferred way to play but that’s the system Dean seems to have set up. What I do have an issue with is that it was clear as crystal as soon as we had possession Sheffield Utd were in our faces straight away. Why oh why are our players out of possession not imeadiatly making themselves available to receive the ball, reading the game if you wish to call it that. Time after time it was a punt up field as there were no options. Completely naive. What is going down there with the coaching.

Archived