IGNORED

Season Over

TomThumb84

12 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Not as bad - but its a low benchmark.

37% possession 

2 shots on target

1 corner

We need to be more than be happy we are a containing outfit and “not awful”.

Have I got this wrong? But surely when you play a game of football the object is to win. Containment is fine providing that you find a way to score more goals than you concede. Last night was a classic lack of ambition display. Yes we restricted them to very few clear chances but in doing so, other than Wells failing to pass to Pato we did not create anything. With the best "containment in the world you would only draw all of your games and go down. There is no reason to pat yourself on the back for restricting the opposition or moan about a VAR decision when you are so poor in attack that you simply cannot win games.

Our form reflects the fear of our manager. He knows that his system creates no chances or excitement and so he tries to focus on stopping the opposition a la LJ. Who can forget when under LJ we changed our entire formation when playing a team 15 places below us at home.

DH must be dreading playing in front of fans at AG again

25 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Whilst I'm not arguing your point, we lost to a team whose results have overshadowed decent performances on occasion. They only tend to lose by the odd goal in a lot of games, and recently beat United.

I'm not saying they were good, but they aren't absolute cannon fodder that their league position may suggest. And they only beat us by a penalty.

In isolation, that result last night wasn't awful, but given the previous offerings it was more of the same shit.

I’d like to concentrate on our performances rather than who were playing. We don’t have a go against anyone. It’s passive . A lot of the players wanted Holden to get the job and that was a worry from the start . Comfort zone , the whole club is in one and it’s a massive problem 

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

I’d like to concentrate on our performances rather than who were playing. We don’t have a go against anyone. It’s passive . A lot of the players wanted Holden to get the job and that was a worry from the start . Comfort zone , the whole club is in one and it’s a massive problem 

Agreed. I was really uneasy with how so many players and staff kept calling him ‘Deano’. A small thing, but symbolic. It’s clear many didn’t recognise or register with his transition from coach to manager.

13 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Have I got this wrong? But surely when you play a game of football the object is to win. Containment is fine providing that you find a way to score more goals than you concede. Last night was a classic lack of ambition display. Yes we restricted them to very few clear chances but in doing so, other than Wells failing to pass to Pato we did not create anything. With the best "containment in the world you would only draw all of your games and go down. There is no reason to pat yourself on the back for restricting the opposition or moan about a VAR decision when you are so poor in attack that you simply cannot win games.

Our form reflects the fear of our manager. He knows that his system creates no chances or excitement and so he tries to focus on stopping the opposition a la LJ. Who can forget when under LJ we changed our entire formation when playing a team 15 places below us at home.

I'm afraid to say that I'm not sure he will ever get the opportunity. I think we are only a couple of defeats away from people really throwing their toys out and at that point Teflon will get rid.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. I was really uneasy with how so many players and staff kept calling him ‘Deano’. A small thing, but symbolic. It’s clear many didn’t recognise or register with his transition from coach to manager.

There should be a element uncertainty  for a player. It’s too cosy . It’s also from the touchline during a break in play. I saw this during the Cardiff & Brentford game . Players going over for a few tips/coaching from them . Our players just standing around . It was a terrible start v Cardiff yet when their keeper became ill , instead of getting into the players he did nothing . Neither did the coaches. 

29 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Therein lies the problem at the moment. In isolation from a purely footballing perspective you would say that there is an obvious and massive over-reaction to last night. The problem is when you combine it with months of football that is less than pleasing on the eye and a current run of form that only exacerbates that situation then you can see why people are getting very restless. It's bad enough having to sit through poor winning football let alone poor losing football.

When you then hear from a tv commentator that our inexperienced Manager is apparently finding it challenging to cope with politics at the club it defies belief and only highlights how poorly run we seem to be as a club. How can a club as relatively small as ours in the overall scheme of things be so beset by internal politics? Who is answerable for that? Does anyone in ownership care enough to find out?

I dont think it's an over-reaction as such, just a little bit of perspective on who we lost to.

Not denying there's absolutely a problem with performances and results

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm afraid to say that I'm not sure he will ever get the opportunity. I think we are only a couple of defeats away from people really throwing their toys out and at that point Teflon will get rid.

He’ll get rid to save his own neck . When does Ashton come under serious scrutiny 

47 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

The whole sorry debacle resembled a pre season friendly

@grifty

The FA Cup run you mention, was matched in this century in 2001 under Wilson and under LJ 2 years ago.

Actually that reminds me, two years ago we lost in Round 5 to a top half PL side in Wolves, who had gone up from our level in fine style and we were much better than our okay display last night. 2nd half especially.

Last night was miles off that, albeit down to 10 from the middle of 2nd half played a part.

Archived