IGNORED

Nahki Wells

Bristolisredd

Only at Bristol City would a player go from being the divisions top goal scorer to the shadow of a player we see before us now. I'm sorry, but to me that's down to the man that sets the team and tactics. For the love of God we need an experienced manager and quickly before it's too late

Wells is a finisher. He is not a Benik Afobe. A finisher needs balls into the box. Both him and Diedhiou are being asked to do jobs they are not cut out to do which is defend from the front and feed off diminishing attacks. Is it any wonder we look like we play with nine players most of the time because these two can't put pressure on opposition defenders but our tactically inept Head Coach can't see that.

I am starting to wonder if Wells was an Ashton driven signing when they baulked at getting Afobe. Afobe should've been the player we went for as he can play a variety of rolls. Wells can't.   

On 31/01/2021 at 00:39, Lrrr said:

Gee I guess there’s no point in playing if we’re just going to judge promotion candidates based on their squads on paper. And as for the under qualified manager they have us sat 9th 3 points off 6th over half the way through the season where for the majority so far we’ve been missing more than half a dozen first XI players at any one time. Regardless of the quality of football it’s hardly an average job he’s done so far let alone a bad one. 

Also you say you believe we have more league 1 quality players then championship? Even by your list we have more championship level players than league one (for which you’ve been very harsh for some players)

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Considering high fee, high wages and his age, the worst ever signing? ?

Up there with Tomlin but we did get our money back for him.

I do think Wells can be a success here and Holden uses him in the wrong way. But I still want better than what we are seeing.

And to think we have been able to get Ivan Toney for 5 million with some adds on based around promotion?

3 minutes ago, redrob said:

And to think we have been able to get Ivan Toney for 5 million with some adds on based around promotion?

We wouldn't have as Brentford would have just upped their price, they knew who they wanted and knowing Watkins and Benrahma were off they had the resources, we never would have had a chance in the summer for him.

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

We wouldn't have as Brentford would have just upped their price, they knew who they wanted and knowing Watkins and Benrahma were off they had the resources, we never would have had a chance in the summer for him.

This is true. Shame we didn't go in earlier when we did have the chance but went for Wells instead. 

If you have a proven finisher, you need to provide him with the service. Time and time again, there is long balls smashed up to him against a 6’5 centre half. Not suited to his game.

Wells is also played on the wing. Not suited to his game.

Wells is asked to track back and pick the ball up 70 yards from the opposition box. Again, not suited to his game.

How many strikers over the years have we forced to play on the wing and spend their time outside of the box? Why? It doesn’t benefit them or the team. Instead leaves them disillusioned as they are judged on goals. Very difficult to score goals when there is about 7 players and 40 yards between you and the net. 

Might get a bit of stick for saying this but Wells hasn't been on it ever since Fam came back into the squad. From memory Wells and Martin started the season okay together. Might have something to do with him being played out on the wing or the two just don't work together? The absence of Pato certainly hasn't help him either. I know Wells is getting ripped a new one tonight but Fam(who is getting a easy ride tonight) certainly isn't showing his value on the pitch since the window closed. But I am sure two ex England coaches and a defensive coach in Holden can sort it out. 

21 minutes ago, redrob said:

This is true. Shame we didn't go in earlier when we did have the chance but went for Wells instead. 

And at that stage it was Brownhill's transfer to Burnley that made Wells likely, also Posh chairman was wanting more like a guaranteed £10m for Toney in January

We've definitely not seen the best of what Wells can offer. I don't think it's because he's not interested. He's simply one of a number of players in the squad who are not performing at their best. Very frustrating for them as much as us I'm sure.

It's something that seems to be a thread running through recent years - if you like, the antithesis of the teams built by SC and GJ - where the players, manager and fans all got excited together. 

I want to experience that again!

i think the young boys need a chance up top,wells and fam was by far the worst players out there tonight. Both were lazy and both looked disinterested, when wells could have passed to pato, what surprised me most of all not once did he look up to see if there was a better option. And to be fair they both look so slow and sluggish and could not trap a bag of cement.

He was looking better in those early weeks of the season, running channels, building an understanding with Martin....wingbacks getting forward for crosses and cutbacks (Hunt primarily), etc, etc.  In summary as a team we haven’t played well in ages, he’s spent weeks on the wing.

With one striker, injured, another ####ing off in the summer, you either try to work on something that can get the best out of him, or you give up.  I wouldn’t be giving up on him, because you won’t shift him for more than his asset value, not will someone pick up his wages.  Maybe Semenyo might be an option, or maybe Pato alongside him, like he did with Reid.  I’m more cheesed off with Diedhiou than I am Wells.  Did we see Diedhiou anywhere near a channel run tonight?  Did we hell?  It’s not just Wells job.

So much for “we see more value in him staying”!

Down to coaches to work on something with Wells, he’s the one here next season.

Wells WAS a two season wonder.

The moment tonight where he briefly feigned injury having failed to control the ball sums him up. That he was off the pitch, realised how stupid he looked, then skulked back on - I wouldn't be able to show my face again. It should be played on an endless loop on the AG big screens as a warning to others.

Biggest waste of money ever at AG and that's saying something.

Coaching. Tactics. Attitude. Nahki isn't utilised like he was at QPR. He scored for fun in the League which proves he can do it in the right set up. Tactically we are all over the place. I got fed up with Lee and his box entries but there is a point. We create so few chances in games Nahki barely has a sniff. His attitude is poor. Benik played with a smile on his face Nahki looks like he's being forced his least favourite food. It's a combination of factors. I would get rid ASAP. We are not changing the coaches any time soon. 

9 hours ago, City_USA said:

Only at Bristol City would a player go from being the divisions top goal scorer to the shadow of a player we see before us now. I'm sorry, but to me that's down to the man that sets the team and tactics. For the love of God we need an experienced manager and quickly before it's too late

Wells is a lazy little bastard and one of the first players that needs to be slung out of the door regardless of who the Manager is. I would literally give him away just to get him out of the building. The fact we bought him and no half decent GENUINE top 6 challenging club speaks the loudest of volumes possible. He's crap. His general play if he isn't scoring goals completely and utterly stinks and the selfishness he showed last night when he had Paterson all alone confirms my view. Was that Holden's fault when he didn't pass to Pato in 15 yards of space with just the keeper to beat?

10 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

You mean like Semenyo? 

Tries hard, some good aggressive play but, crucially, no goals.

No I meant Bell or Britton but either way, trying hard and being aggressive with or without goals is offering more than Wells.

Wells plays for himself and only himself as demonstrated perfectly last night when he could have put Paterson in on goal.

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, but he also gives away lots of needless fouls, including in dangerous areas for us or in the final few minutes when we're chasing a game (and the foul gives our opponents a chance to waste a whole lot more time).  I really wished he'd done well for us, but it looks like one of those that just never worked.  Perhaps a combination of being desperate to sign a striker (after the Nketiah fiasco) and forming part of the Brownhill negotiations.

A player like Wells (also see Brett Pitman) requires the team to be set up to generate chances. Natural poachers like these two will score if given chances. There isn’t that much more to their overall game, so if you’re going to buy a player like that at our level you have to mitigate for it.

Both times - with Pitman and Wells - we’ve failed to use them properly. Both have been stuck out on the wing and been accused of being ‘lazy’ or ‘disinterested’ as a result. 

Sure, last night’s error from Wells was a bad one. To me though it looked like a forward who’s out of the groove, not in tune with his teammates and is frustrated. I doubt that would happen if we’d set up to his strengths all season.

7 hours ago, forbespm said:

Just compare wells with Ivan toney! Poles apart

Says it all about our recruitment really.

47 minutes ago, Kibs said:

No I meant Bell or Britton but either way, trying hard and being aggressive with or without goals is offering more than Wells.

Wells plays for himself and only himself as demonstrated perfectly last night when he could have put Paterson in on goal.

Except Wells has scored about 5 goals this season is it... Well he has at least a couple. I have not looked at the stats and I agree Semenyo has the right attitude and I sincerely hope when he gets his first goal the flood gates will open. For now, with us falling in the table DH has little to choose from and prefers the relative safety of Wells than an untested novice the likes of which you mention. Like it or not Wells does score goals so it just needs to be set up on the pitch for him as Phileas suggested.

Archived