IGNORED

Best commentary all season

the frampton balti

3 hours ago, spudski said:

He's like what Peter Allis was to golf.

It's comforting to listen to. Informative. I don't need commentators to tell me what's going on the pitch...I can see for myself. With radio it's different.

Can't stand over excited about commentators. Would much rather listen to Pearce.

I used to like Peter Allis! You’re right about them being comforting. 
I’m sure if the game was more exciting and City was more exciting, it would’ve been even better.

5 hours ago, Northern Red said:

There was something else Pearce said about "having to manage upwards" as well as dealing with players.

I find the best way of managing upwards is to tell them when they make a mistake, most people in senior management positions are sprinting all day and don't have time to figure out where the problems are so rely on being told - they can then make a decision about what they want to do about it. That kind of relationship is very important and it takes great character in the senior management position that's willing to accept when they make mistakes. If they turn into an omnipotent dictator type or aren't open to change then it's not going to end well for anyone. 

33 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Appreciate i will be in the minority but they were both getting on my nerves by the end 

Must be hard to commentate on such a boring game though!

I was in two minds, it was a little over the top and cringey, but I did admire his deep knowledge of the game and the club.

Like others said, if the game had been more exciting it might have been better

8 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Worth staying up for that MOD analysis. The one positive is that they avoided referring to us as ‘Bristol’ by the simple expedient of not referring to us at all. Literally.

The female commentator did have a wobbly moment to be fair; Bristol.... Have a slurp of tea.. City...argghhhh.

52 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Must be hard to commentate on such a boring game though!

I was in two minds, it was a little over the top and cringey, but I did admire his deep knowledge of the game and the club.

Like others said, if the game had been more exciting it might have been better

I think it was when one second we had defended superbly, looked organised etc and then literally 90 seconds later we look like we’re going to conceded and starting to look leggy that did it for me - i just thought your saying things for the sake of it. 

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

On the subject off commentary, anybody name the only footballer, to present, two shows, on english tv running at the same time on diffrent channels?

Must be Jenas he is on everything these days.

11 hours ago, phantom said:

Agree, thought it was awful. 

Constantly rambling about random things

Sorry I know JP is City through and through but I also thought the pair of them were awful as well.  Even my missus who knows the square root of f all about football commented "were these two for real"Bet the likes of Downsy, Trego and Gilmartin loved it - talking just for the sake of talking and talking mostly crap.  The linesmen wearing gloves when its -3 has taken the game to the dogs BUT the VAR decision was totally justified.  One example in my opinion of them getting it totally wrong.

Enjoy Pearce's references to City every time he commentates - never leaves the viewer in any doubt which club he supports - even though I sometimes feel he gets a few details wrong. Did I hear 'Taylor Moore went off to try his luck in French football', or similar, last night? Well, no, he grew up in France!

What with JP growing up in the gantry filming matches with his Dad (iirc.) then going to Radio Bristol (started by commentating on Rovers games I believe) and on to London for his commentary career, both of which would naturally have impacted on his ability to regularly watch City games, plus living in Sussex, I do wonder how much he's watched City live since the '70's - the period he so often refers to.

He's a great advocate for BCFC, with a boyhood history at a club he clearly loves, but how often has he had a ST, if ever?

Put me right somebody - it won't have been easy with his career but has he often been seen down AG over the decades, standing in the EE or sitting in the stands as a paying supporter?

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

I think it was when one second we had defended superbly, looked organised etc and then literally 90 seconds later we look like we’re going to conceded and starting to look leggy that did it for me - i just thought your saying things for the sake of it. 

Haha, that bit I agree with....it came from nowhere, just because they had a good attack.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Enjoy Pearce's references to City every time he commentates - never leaves the viewer in any doubt which club he supports - even though I sometimes feel he gets a few details wrong. Did I hear 'Taylor Moore went off to try his luck in French football', or similar, last night? Well, no, he grew up in France!

What with JP growing up in the gantry filming matches with his Dad (iirc.) then going to Radio Bristol (started by commentating on Rovers games I believe) and on to London for his commentary career, both of which would naturally have impacted on his ability to regularly watch City games, plus living in Sussex, I do wonder how much he's watched City live since the '70's - the period he so often refers to.

He's a great advocate for BCFC, with a boyhood history at a club he clearly loves, but how often has he had a ST, if ever?

Put me right somebody - it won't have been easy with his career but has he often been seen down AG over the decades, standing in the EE or sitting in the stands as a paying supporter?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he say he is a big Leeds fan too?

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't think so, he just seems to mention that Leeds match, Gillies, Gow etc every time he's on!

I remember hearing the interview he did for OTIB, and he said there was another team he followed. I thought it was Leeds, I could well be wrong though.

I liked him. He’s got more of a ‘test match special’ old school style of commentary which is quite unique.

If I was a Sheffield United fan I’d have probably found it quite irritating though.

The co-commentator was ok. Wasn’t sure they had that much broad knowledge about either side - she only seemed to reference Billy Sharp.

Archived