IGNORED

Dean Holden Post Match

Red Army 75

26 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

LJ wouldn’t have said the players, he’d have said “Taylor Moore/Zac Vyner needs to look himself in the mirror.” - even if Kalas had had a worse game. 

Don’t you recall when Magnússon was subbed on at 3-0 down and LJ singled him out for us losing 4-0?

Fair comment. He is though slipping into Dopey Darrell territory. I used to mock him for saying "no excuses" followed by excuses and "I take responsibility" then blaming the players.

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I don't disagree with you post Dave but the reality of life is that there's a 'human side' in everyone's life experience. Doesn't amount to a get out card for being rubbish at your job. The only reason any of us know who Dean Holden is, or his back story, is because he's managing Bristol City. 

That Dean Holden isn't a very good manager at Championship level is no surprise. That he's not going to get us into the top 6...which is what we were told he was appointed to do...is also no surprise.

He needs to go.

Totally agree here. If we performed in our jobs like Holden etc has  I'd be sacked long before now.

No sentiment shown cos I'm a nice guy. Get rid ßoon as no ******* about. 

Don't like to see anyone lose their job - but clearly out of his depth.

DH will not quit so the buck stops with SL and MA - Pay him his years salary and admit you were wrong. . If DH stays i predict we will be dragged into a relegation battle this season sooner than some people think.  

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I don't disagree with you post Dave but the reality of life is that there's a 'human side' in everyone's life experience. Doesn't amount to a get out card for being rubbish at your job. The only reason any of us know who Dean Holden is, or his back story, is because he's managing Bristol City. 

That Dean Holden isn't a very good manager at Championship level is no surprise. That he's not going to get us into the top 6...which is what we were told he was appointed to do...is also no surprise.

He needs to go.

That’s why I followed it with the next sentence, which said in essence you can’t take into the equation, but it does mean I have sympathy.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That would just be a 12 month contract, not a rolling 12 month contract. 

https://www.mikethornton.xyz/rolling-employment-contracts/

So whenever he goes it will be 12 months to pay so there is no saving to be made by staying until the end of the season, just we will continue to decline so the net effect is a greater cost to the reputation of the club.

if anything getting a new guy in this season gives them a greater runway to get up speed ready for next season

Anything else is just wasting time & deferring the inevitable - there no way he can turn this around. 

2 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I shall have to Google it, my first impression was as you say, but somebody on here posted a googled definition that described it as a 12 month contract that automatically renews unless opted out of by either party.

Ashton was asked about it when Holden got the job and I'm 99% sure he confirmed it works as I described. 

Millen and Coppell were both on 12 month rolling contracts too. 

2 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I shall have to Google it, my first impression was as you say, but somebody on here posted a googled definition that described it as a 12 month contract that automatically renews unless opted out of by either party.

That would be a fixed term contract, "rolling" means it will always have a set period of termination. We've dealt with rolling agreements regularly & they are as standard always "rolling" the period every day of the agreement.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Ashton was asked about it when Holden got the job and I'm 99% sure he confirmed it works as I described. 

Millen and Coppell were both on 12 month rolling contracts too. 

He very carefully said “it’s a standard football contract Geoff” when on Twentyman recently.  When appointed he said nothing more than it was rolling....see my Mike Thornton link in my previous thread.  It was news to me too.

image.thumb.jpeg.25bc51e245466c39b5a79b2cd94642b8.jpeg

So he was lying!!!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

He very carefully said “it’s a standard football contract Geoff” when on Twentyman recently.  When appointed he said nothing more than it was rolling....see my Mike Thornton link in my previous thread.  It was news to me too.

So he was lying!!!

Well, interesting if that's correct. That's never how it was described as working for Millen and Coppell either. 

There are dates that can be inserted, so I guess we don't know how it works for sure.

Would add yet more evidence to my feeling (and many others) that DH was a short-term covid appointment.

Allow me to be the I told you so tosser... when everyone was marvelling at what a straight talking guy he seemed when he was appointed, I pointed out that his earlier press conferences had always been dull as dishwater. So no surprise we’re now lamenting his drab cliche ridden interviews.

Holden was sold an an antidote to Lee Johnson based on that being good PR. Ditto the ill-judged 3 Lions stunt. 
Ultimately what really matters is what happens on the pitch and I don’t think we can credit Holden with doing well enough with what he had. 

When he says we were out muscled or not strong enough or lost concentration it is clearly obvious they dont want him as manager and have stopped playing for him. He clearly tells them what they need to do and they cant be bothered to make the effort knowing he will be gone very soon. McCarthy at cardiff is a classic case, stopped playing for Harris and now 5 unbeaten and upto 7th.

9 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

That would be a fixed term contract, "rolling" means it will always have a set period of termination. We've dealt with rolling agreements regularly & they are as standard always "rolling" the period every day of the agreement.

I always thought that was how it works but by all accounts it’s slightly different now 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So he was lying!!!

Or more likely he was lied to by his boss.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well, interesting if that's correct. That's never how it was described as working for Millen and Coppell either. 

There are dates that can be inserted, so I guess we don't know how it works for sure.

Would add yet more evidence to my feeling (and many others) that DH was a short-term covid appointment.

Exactly, none of us know.  It’s completely different to how I thought rolling contracts worked, but Mike Thornton is someone I read a lot re Villa, FFP, ground sale a while back, so unlikely to be based on nothing.

Whether it applies to Dean, no idea.

But I’ve updated my thinking as a result.

In terms of short term, it would back up your thoughts.  To me, it also shows a lack of faith / a gamble in Holden. Sad state of affairs.

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Dean probably needs to resign and learn his trade at a lower level.  Anyone know of a League 1 team that may be looking for a new manager?

Northampton? Can't think of anybody else! But why should he resign when the responsibility rests with those who appointed him?

I reckon Dean would be ideally suited to a big club in the Conference.. I mean no disrespect in saying that. He would be well under the radar and able to craft his trade without undue hindrance from press or critic. Someone like Chesterfield who recently parted company with John Pemberton are a sleeping giant at that level and had a new stadium built just before they started falling. They were always knocking on the door of the Championship and even made it up I think for one season. No reason why they cannot rise again. Perfect for Holden's CV.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Northampton? Can't think of anybody else! But why should he resign when the responsibility rests with those who appointed him?

Dean would be very unlikely to obtain a league 1 job; if it takes a few months for Cotterell and Johnson to land one who have quite a few jobs under their belts Dean is going to have to look much lower. 

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No mate, it's a contract that always has 12 months remaining on it from one day to the next. 

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That would just be a 12 month contract, not a rolling 12 month contract. 

24 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Nope, a rolling 12 month contract is exactly that - it will always be 12 month form the date of termination, standard contract terms in a rolling agreement 

@IAmNick

???

1 hour ago, LoyalRed said:

My thoughts also, Ashton quiet as usual - scumbag he is 

Standard PR strategy.

Say nothing.

Statements in crisis or turbulent times only provide ammunition for the other side to fir back at you.

Note the opposite. Ashton highly visible and available to comment whenever something positive happens (albeit a rare event nowadays).

We need to prod the bear and force him out of the cave. No hiding place this time.

Indeed , we had a right old top of the table clash with (ahem) Paul Cooks Chesterfield in League 1 at the gate one season.....

3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I reckon Dean would be ideally suited to a big club in the Conference.. I mean no disrespect in saying that. He would be well under the radar and able to craft his trade without undue hindrance from press or critic. Someone like Chesterfield who recently parted company with John Pemberton are a sleeping giant at that level and had a new stadium built just before they started falling. They were always knocking on the door of the Championship and even made it up I think for one season. No reason why they cannot rise again. Perfect for Holden's CV.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can he put much more in under FFP- can the club expend much more under FFP? Has to be considered a grey area.

I'm hoping we will tap into the free agent market- will be a lot of good ones out of contract this summer.

I don’t mean it from a pure money standpoint. He won’t take the risk of hiring a football man and putting him in charge of this club. I’d gladly take 1 less Marley Watkins and 1 less Tommy Rowe to pay for that person but SL doesn’t seem to want to relinquish that power. 

People go on about having a good stable owner. That we will have a football club to come to but how many championship clubs are actually going bust? What is the point of going on if it isn’t going to be forward or the intention of moving forward? 

Archived