IGNORED

Dean Holden Post Match

Red Army 75

49 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Fam’s performance since it became clear that he wasn’t going to get a big money move by the end of Jan have been awful.....let’s play Semenyo and Wells .... Fam was simply awful today and looks like he couldn’t care less 

I don’t disagree re Fam, but cannot think Semenyo and Wells are the answer either.

Semenyo seems to have either been found out or experiencing the inconsistencies of being a young player, he rarely looks like scoring and his assists have dropped right off. Impact sub is ideally his role, but we aren’t in an idea situation at the moment.

As for Wells, has he ever looked either happy or capable of producing in this club? Not for me. I watched a Watford stream today and it was actually quite good, much better than what Robins TV produces, anyway their commentators noted about Wells ‘that he looks (body language) like a player who has had a big falling out with his manager’. This is from the opposition with the match well won, so they had no reason to be bitter. Quite a telling observation?

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

There was one really touching bit where he says about how he has responded to challenges in his life. And we all know what he refers to.

There are two ways you can go. You can go under or you can find a way.

I really feel for the guy. Should never have been put in this position in the first place.

my thoughts to, that's why i find it hard kick him when he is down, what he has been through shows the man has a big inner strength just wish he could turn it around but i cant see it happening. Mind you i also blame the gutless experience players who have let dean and the young lads down badly.

put pride in that shirt don't hide in the shirt

Unlike LJ you can tell Holden is a decent guy who'd you'd be happy to have as a mate/have a few pints with at the pub but for his long term career he needs to call it a day and with hindsight he'll agree. It must be hard for anyone to have Ashton as their boss!       

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t mean it from a pure money standpoint. He won’t take the risk of hiring a football man and putting him in charge of this club. I’d gladly take 1 less Marley Watkins and 1 less Tommy Rowe to pay for that person but SL doesn’t seem to want to relinquish that power. 

People go on about having a good stable owner. That we will have a football club to come to but how many championship clubs are actually going bust? What is the point of going on if it isn’t going to be forward or the intention of moving forward? 

I have some sympathy with this- Rowe I think is fine, alright- the number of over 30s is concerning though. Could be money better spent, few less over 30s, more cash towards a football man- spend a bit better.

Bolded bit? It'll be interesting to see- lots of them will owe arrears in PAYE to HMRC, the furlough comes to an end in April, so do Government Support Schemes- read that quite a lot of clubs have rolled over credits to next season for season tickets, that'll be a huge hole in budget especially with PAYE to consider.

Further- can think of at least 3 who have borrowed secured against assets, or future income. Another consideration.

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don’t disagree re Fam, but cannot think Semenyo and Wells are the answer either.

Semenyo seems to have either been found out or experiencing the inconsistencies of being a young player, he rarely looks like scoring and his assists have dropped right off. Impact sub is ideally his role, but we aren’t in an idea situation at the moment.

As for Wells, has he ever looked either happy or capable of producing in this club? Not for me. I watched a Watford stream today and it was actually quite good, much better than what Robins TV produces, anyway their commentators noted about Wells ‘that he looks (body language) like a player who has had a big falling out with his manager’. This is from the opposition with the match well won, so they had no reason to be bitter. Quite a telling observation?

Assuming you got the same EFL broadcast stream, were you left frustrated by how much time they spent on replays or cameras aimed at the benches.  Wound me up big time.

3 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Shame.

It's just like a record going round and round, repeating the same old, same old - "we go again, more hard work blah, blah, blah.

You can hear the desperation and hopelessness in his voice, and sense it in his demeanour. He really doesn't know what to do next.

Not quite at the Tinnion desperation stage yet, but I think he is too proud for that to show in the same way. It does seem cruel to keep him in post without the proper help ( 2 ex England U23 coaches doesn’t cut it for me) and you cannot convince me all the players are giving their all for him either.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

Not quite at the Tinnion desperation stage yet, but I think he is too proud for that to show in the same way. It does seem cruel to keep him in post without the proper help ( 2 ex England U23 coaches doesn’t cut it for me) and you cannot convince me all the players are giving their all for him either.

This is one I'm conflicted on.

Vs Brentford I'd say there were few issues on that score, in some respects vs Sheffield United too- but vs Derby, Cardiff and Watford we were shocking- and the lack of fight does raise q's in this department. What makes me go back though is the lack of capitulation in the other 2.

Whether in those 2 games they were playing for Holden, or playing for the TV game- that's another consideration still.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Assuming you got the same EFL broadcast stream, were you left frustrated by how much time they spent on replays or cameras aimed at the benches.  Wound me up big time.

Yes that’s true, think we were making subs and they were showing some non related view of a player or something. The actual commentary wasn’t too bad tho ?

1 minute ago, RedM said:

Think about it, I think they said 12 weeks and that would take us to mid May, so yes end of season. :sad26:

I meant I thought the poster posted before the interview and was making a joke about what dean might say, I didn’t catch the bit where it was actually said!

11 minutes ago, big dosser said:

my thoughts to, that's why i find it hard kick him when he is down, what he has been through shows the man has a big inner strength just wish he could turn it around but i cant see it happening. Mind you i also blame the gutless experience players who have let dean and the young lads down badly.

I just think he would be happier back as an assistant and coaching again. He doesn’t seem happy which is sad.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Having met him a few times and spoken at length with him about all manner of things, I can categorically state he is bloody top bloke.  He doesn’t do things for effect, he’s straight up.

He looked and sounded gutted tonight.  This was a huge opportunity for him.  He won’t have earned loads throughout a journeyman career, has a family....and a strong family unit by the seems of it, so if he is sacked he will be like many others in football....wondering where his next gig will be.

There’s a human side to this.

But that also can’t get in the way of tough football decisions either.

Not met Dean , but I wanted him to succeed and when you hear his back story you can’t but feel for the guy & his family. Having gone through a similar experience I’m slightly driven by emotion in saying that.

However, as you say that shouldn’t impact on any decisions to be made. He shouldn’t have been appointed in the first place, maybe a condition on a new manager he stayed on as part of the coaching team. However, dean rightly backed himself and accepted the role. The club should do the right thing , sack him and replace with someone who CAN take this club forward but also ensure dean is paid exactly what he is due he deserves that and dignity when he does go

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I meant I thought the poster posted before the interview and was making a joke about what dean might say, I didn’t catch the bit where it was actually said!

I must admit when I heard it it sounded months away. With having started the season late and with us not at matches I tend to lose site of what stage of the season we are at, but yes we are further in than we realise!

15 minutes ago, big dosser said:

Totally agree, the man is a "Human" (hate to use that term) that has had devastating family losses & worked his way through it. He just doesn't have the experience to get through this & I won't kick him in the teeth while he's down. It's the people that have put him in this position that should really have a good look at themselves.

Not sure how important what DH year rolling contract terms actually mean, he knew his salary and severance terms when he took the job and that is what he will get.

Another awful post match interview that cannot give anyone any confidence that DH can turn it around. 

The longer he stays the harder the job will be for the next manager to avoid relagation

29 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I reckon Dean would be ideally suited to a big club in the Conference.. I mean no disrespect in saying that. He would be well under the radar and able to craft his trade without undue hindrance from press or critic. Someone like Chesterfield who recently parted company with John Pemberton are a sleeping giant at that level and had a new stadium built just before they started falling. They were always knocking on the door of the Championship and even made it up I think for one season. No reason why they cannot rise again. Perfect for Holden's CV.

I’m not sure of you’re logic with this. You can either coach and be tactically aware or you can’t. I’m afraid Holden seems clueless, so why would he suddenly get better at a level where the players are less skilful?  There are plenty of league managers and coaches who drop into the National League and fail - e.g. John Pemberton who was a good coach at City but has been sacked by Chesterfield. There are exceptions- e.g. Gary Johnson but he had a successful league manager’s career

2 hours ago, bris red said:

Some of the cliches and phrases that come out of his mouth wouldn’t sound out of place in a changing room at Eastville park or on the Downs.. Hw seems like a nice enough honest bloke but he really is so out of his depth as the head coach of a championship club its embarrassing. 

Watching that is pitiful makes me feel sad a man who took the chance and sadly he's failing miserably 

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

A simple open question -

Does anyone for one moment believe that under a manager such as Neil Warnock , covid or no covid , injuries or not , that you’d see a ‘performance’ like that 

Not a chance 

You might tbf............only the once for that group of players though.

Archived