IGNORED

Kasey Palmer

Shuffle

Started 5 games in a row which included 3 wins and seems to be scapegoat after Derby and reduced to bit part role again.  Play him as a 10 in a 3-5-2 & if he fails in his best position after a run of games in his then we know that we need to try and off load.  I’m not saying he’s the messiah but just get frustrated that he seems the first one dropped.  We certainly haven’t improved since he’s been out of side and he equally needs to learn when and where to play and appreciate he can frustrate but he can beat a player and pass.  

Am I in minority or do people feel he’s had enough chances and isn’t the answer?

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Did we win any of those 3 games because of him?   My opinion on him hasn’t changed.  Flatters to deceive, loses the ball too much, poor off the ball.  Far too inconsistent. I’m not interested in one moment of magic if he can’t back it up 

Was very good v PNE, created a goal v Huddersfield & decent at Millwall so he certainly contributed to wins

5 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Started 5 games in a row which included 3 wins and seems to be scapegoat after Derby and reduced to bit part role again.  Play him as a 10 in a 3-5-2 & if he fails in his best position after a run of games in his then we know that we need to try and off load.  I’m not saying he’s the messiah but just get frustrated that he seems the first one dropped.  We certainly haven’t improved since he’s been out of side and he equally needs to learn when and where to play and appreciate he can frustrate but he can beat a player and pass.  

Am I in minority or do people feel he’s had enough chances and isn’t the answer?

I’ve said before, I’d play him. I’ve put it in ‘My Team‘ topics before, I’d actually get him & Paterson  in the team at the same time. Play a version of 3-5-2 ( 3-4-2-1) with both playing in the 10 role behind Wells. Think Paterson & Palmer would be interesting, they would have the security of a solid 2 behind them. I also think Wells might thrive of those two getting on the ball. So in short, yeah, play him, give him a run of games, where he isn’t constantly looking over his shoulder waiting to be hooked (Massengo!!!). Get him into positions where he can affect the game & at the same time, be less of a liability without the ball. COYR 

53 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

I’ve said before, I’d play him. I’ve put it in ‘My Team‘ topics before, I’d actually get him & Paterson  in the team at the same time. Play a version of 3-5-2 ( 3-4-2-1) with both playing in the 10 role behind Wells. Think Paterson & Palmer would be interesting, they would have the security of a solid 2 behind them. I also think Wells might thrive of those two getting on the ball. So in short, yeah, play him, give him a run of games, where he isn’t constantly looking over his shoulder waiting to be hooked (Massengo!!!). Get him into positions where he can affect the game & at the same time, be less of a liability without the ball. COYR 

This all day long. Wells up top unstead of fammy might also stop the long hoof but have to play through the lines. I would bracket massengo with Patterson and palmer so its any 2 from 3. Nagy, williams, bakinson or vyner if desperate taking 2 of the roles behind. Wing backs can then be quite attacking. 

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Did we win any of those 3 games because of him?   My opinion on him hasn’t changed.  Flatters to deceive, loses the ball too much, poor off the ball.  Far too inconsistent. I’m not interested in one moment of magic if he can’t back it up 

Yes. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

I don't know how many more chances he needs. Not good enough. Yes he can put in a slide rule pass every now and again, but loses the ball, doesn't track back, doesn't put a shift in. Don't get the KP45 Wet Dream to be honest

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Think he's been generally really good since he has come back from loan. Lively sub appearances last few games - on both occasions the only one offering some go forward. And yeah, agree, that he is an easy target after a weak team performance and its unjust he's lost his place. I'd like to see him pushed up a bit more nearer a lone striker. Think that could be his position - although that's very speculative and might not work at all. That said, given current form of our strikers, now would be the time to try something different so...

Not pro or anti - I just think you can't judge any player on a couple of games here and there and a few bit parts in a constantly changing formation and team. We'll only know what he's capable of if we can give him a run of games in a s yelled side (preferably one that plays to his strengths) - but there seems no real prospect of that right now.

7 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I don't know how many more chances he needs. Not good enough. Yes he can put in a slide rule pass every now and again, but loses the ball, doesn't track back, doesn't put a shift in. Don't get the KP45 Wet Dream to be honest

I totally get this point of view. For me though, last night is a really good example. When he came on, he was the only one of our players who wasn't interested in some kind of try our best, back to the walls, brave underdog performance. He got on the ball, moved it, looked to get it forward and create a bit of danger... and actually looked like he thought he could put his ability up against a prem team. And I thought it raised the confidence on the ball of the players around him too.

So if you start from that point - that he has the required technically ability to play at a high level - then its about trying to get best out of him. We aren't doing that. That's not entirely on manager. Player needs to take responsibility. But since he's come back from loan he looks like he's doing that when he's given chance. 

So he's not the messiah. But he's clearly an extremely gifted footballer and we could do with one of those so should work to get the best out of him. 

But, again, I understand the view of those that want to write him off and move on. 

I'd like to see us go 5-3-1-1, following the showings of Wells and Fam in recent games.

- GK: Bentley

- RWB - Hunt

- CB - Vyner

- CB - Kalas

- CB - Mawson

- LWB - Towler

- CM - Lansbury

- CM - Williams

- CM - Paterson

- CAM - Palmer

- ST - Semenyo

Providing the above are all fit and available (Mawson red, and Williams hamstring aside) over the course of the next few games.

I'd like to see us get at team more. I mentioned last night that the Palmer - Semenyo link up could work well. A creative passer and a willing 'direct' runner. 

Yes we may lose possession on occasions, but they are always look to play forward with intent. 

Lansbury & Williams could form the midfield pivot that once worked so well for Smith & Pack. 

This would allow Pato to break forward when in possession to allow for an attacking trio of Pato, Palmer and Semenyo. 

All of that front 5 (Williams, Lansbury, Paterson, Palmer and Semenyo) would be comfortable on the ball, and look to play forward wherever possible. 

Currently we look lost when we get to the edge of the opposition's box. I'd like to see us set up with players who can play with 'attacking freedom'. 

2 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I'd like to see us go 5-3-1-1, following the showings of Wells and Fam in recent games.

- RWB - Hunt

- CB - Vyner

- CB - Kalas

- CB - Mawson

- LWB - Towler

- CM - Lansbury

- CM - Williams

- CM - Paterson

- CAM - Palmer

- ST - Semenyo

Providing the above are all fit and available (Mawson red, and Williams hamstring aside) over the course of the next few games.

I'd like to see us get at team more. I mentioned last night that the Palmer - Semenyo link up could work well. A creative passer and a willing 'direct' runner. 

Yes we may lose possession on occasions, but they are always look to play forward with intent. 

Lansbury & Williams could form the midfield pivot that once worked so well for Smith & Pack. 

This would allow Pato to break forward when in possession to allow for an attacking trio of Pato, Palmer and Semenyo. 

All of that front 5 (Williams, Lansbury, Paterson, Palmer and Semenyo) would be comfortable on the ball, and look to play forward wherever possible. 

Currently we look lost when we get to the edge of the opposition's box. I'd like to see us set up with players who can play with 'attacking freedom'. 

I think something like this or a 5221, suits the players we have in the front 5 positions.  We don’t have a striker pairing that works, so don’t try to find one.  Just go with Wells or Semenyo.  You then have 4 midfield spaces in any permutation really.

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Have we won many with him out the side?

We literally make zero chances, it's no wonder we don't score goals. KP is one of the few players who can play a killer pass, take him out and there's no creativity. Yes he may lose the ball, yes he doesn't bring much defensively to the team, but he is the only player who will assist the strikers.

We've had this issue for years, this is why the likes of Brentford and Peterborough keep producing top strikers, because they are set up in a way they provide lots of chances.

We've got Wells, one of the top goalscorers last season, who isn't firing this season. Put him in the Brentford team and he'd be up there again. 

I was thinking along the lines of

GK - Bentley

RWB - Hunt/Sessegnon

LCB - Mawson

CB - Kalas

RCB - Vyner/Moore

LWB - Whoever is fit

CM - Nagy/Bakinson

CM- Williams/Vyner

AM - Palmer/Massengo

AM- Paterson/Lansbury

CF- Wells/Semenyo

Options in most positions. No hoofball as I wouldnt have fammy in the first eleven. Impact sub possibly if he can be arsed. You could press quite high with that team as well. 

12 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

- RWB - Hunt

- CB - Vyner

- CB - Kalas

- CB - Mawson

- LWB - Towler

- CM - Lansbury

- CM - Williams

- CM - Paterson

- CAM - Palmer

- ST - Semenyo

Do you not think Wells could do well with KP?

Harsh on Moore who was good last night and I think we need to keep developing as he is big future asset. And I like vyner in midfield. Appreciate we have a lot of midefield options who individually have strengths but together arent really performing. Challenge is to find a combination that does. 

And Hunt - we don't have many other options currently but he is giving up possession a lot without really trying to make much happen so I think his place has to be looked at. Vyner or moore at Rb RWB for a bit??? Might not be solution but would help ball retention I think

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Far too inconsistent. I’m not interested in one moment of magic if he can’t back it up 

We have got 20+ players able to adequately fulfil the role of "unable to create one single moment of magic" so there ought to be the occasional space to squeeze in the one player who might.

15 minutes ago, Selred said:

We've got Wells, one of the top goalscorers last season, who isn't firing this season. Put him in the Brentford team and he'd be up there again. 

Hmm, wonder why brentford werent all over trying to sign wells then when they had the chance?? Might be because hes as much a con artist at football as ashton is as ceo.

for what it’s worth, we might as well play palmer, he can pick a pass in the final third which is a talent we otherwise are struggling with.

13 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Hmm, wonder why brentford werent all over trying to sign wells then when they had the chance?? Might be because hes as much a con artist at football as ashton is as ceo.

for what it’s worth, we might as well play palmer, he can pick a pass in the final third which is a talent we otherwise are struggling with.

Because they had Watkins. 18 league goals last season isn't a con artist. 

Looking at the players we have who are actually playing not too badly...and available, I'd try something different.

I'd drop Famara and Wells completely...they offer nothing at the moment.

I'd have Bents as GK 

A back three of Vyner, Kalas, Mawson/Moore.

Midfield of Palmer, Nagy, Williams, Massengo, Lansbury.

And I'd play Semenyo and Pato up front.

I'd play more narrow, with high press from the front. Pato and Semenyo have ability to press. Bags of energy in behind with Massengo and Nagy. Creativity with Palmer and Lansbury.

Williams tackles, energy, eye for a pass...leader.

Solid back 3.

Sod aimless balls into the box.

Play through them.

I like some of the things Palmer can do but ultimately he is part of the problem in the midfield where we get overrun. Played well for 30 minutes against Huddersfield and then went missing. Not the answer but possibly has a role as back-up. Certainly needs to contribute more in the rest of his game than just the odd wonder pass.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Looking at the players we have who are actually playing not too badly...and available, I'd try something different.

I'd have Bents as GK 

I'd play more narrow, with high press from the front. Pato and Semenyo have ability to press. Bags of energy in behind with Massengo and Nagy. Creativity with Palmer and Lansbury.

Solid back 3.

Play through them.

Palmer and Lansbury as wing backs ?

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'd have Bents as GK 

Solid back 3.

Play through them.

Wouldn't we get murdered down the wings though?

5 hours ago, Shuffle said:

I'm with you. 

Sublime pass for, effectively, the winner the last time we won. He's not perfect but, my god, I find myself becoming mildly excited by our play when he's on the field - as opposed to being bored senseless or swearing loudly.

Archived