IGNORED

Holden - sack or keep?

Major Isewater

Holden - sack or keep?   

647 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The questions that need asking ;

Why not now ?

Why not us ?

It seems like we are always just hoping  rather than grabbing the bull by the horns and insisting that this season is our season and fighting to achieve our goal , whatever it costs .

Is Uncle Steve that  hard nosed owner demanding nothing less than a promotion ?

I feel your pain and frustration Major. Why are we not more successful? Same old same old most of the time. I remember when it was just a football club trying to be successful and not Basketball, Rugby, Womens football all trying to compete as well. Still, Mr L is doing ok with project Ashton Gate isnt he? Believe!

54 minutes ago, blockbrowt1 said:

I feel your pain and frustration Major. Why are we not more successful? Same old same old most of the time. I remember when it was just a football club trying to be successful and not Basketball, Rugby, Womens football all trying to compete as well. Still, Mr L is doing ok with project Ashton Gate isnt he? Believe!

Try as I might (not very hard) I can't rustle up the slightest interest in any of that.

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Tisdale at Exeter worked wonders year after year with a very average squad including several ex-City players.

He got the best out of them as a team which is what a good coach is there for.

In these days of FFP turning average players into a good team is the way to achieve promotion; not by having Harry Redknapp-alikes come in and start leaf-blowing money around on new signings.

He also had a fantastic youth academy at Exeter, and those players were/ are being given the chance to progress. 
The amount of players they are producing puts us to shame imo.

20 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

He also had a fantastic youth academy at Exeter, and those players were/ are being given the chance to progress. 

We haven't had a single academy player in the first 11 for the last couple of games. 

4 minutes ago, !james said:

Have you got a large amount of money on him?!

Ha - no, not yet at least. But if Robins does well in the Championship and "completes" his job at Cov (keeps them up) then it could be a good fit come the end of the season.

32 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, he worked wonders there.

That it was in a lower league is inevitable because if he had done that in the Championship then the Premiership clubs would be after him.

He was at Exeter 2006 - 2018 and in that time:

In recent times, Exeter City Academy graduates Dean Moxey, George Friend, Matt Grimes and Ethan Ampadu have gone on to play in the Premier League, while Danny Seaborne and Elliott Frear established themselves as regulars in the Scottish Premier League. Ampadu (son of former Arsenal and Exeter City player Kwame Ampadu), has also been capped twice for Wales. Jamie Mackie, who played for the Grecians between 2005 and 2008, went on to play 60 Premier League games for QPR, and has picked up 9 caps for Scotland. Ollie Watkins, who while at the club was named 2017 EFL Young Player of the Season,[77] joined Brentford in July 2017 for a club record fee.[78]

I think he is the contemporary equivalent of Dario Gradi or Martin O'Neill who will make a team steadily better year after year despite selling their best players.

This is just what we need; and as we are a lot bigger (history, fanbase, capacity and chequebook) than any of Crewe, Wycombe or Exeter the potential is that much greater.

7 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I still think if we want to continue with this framework after Holden, Howe is the ideal candidate.

Impressive coach, less impressive on the transfer front. Let him focus on the pitch and somebody else on the recruitment and I think there is a recipe for success there.

Also, his ex-assistant is now the Bournemouth manager, so he might not desire to bring in his own backroom staff.

Now EH is indisputably a good coach but let’s not pretend he didn’t have a shedload of cash to spend to help get Bournemouth into the Prem (FFP charge), regardless of how well he spent it.

Also not sure he’d go for us unless we really pushed the boat out in terms of budget, which given the (IMO sensible) way we’re run is unlikely.

8 hours ago, Negan said:

It's actually mental that Bristol f*****g rovers have a better manager than us. Would happily swap with them right now. Still backing Holden but I pray to god the 12 month contract is it, didn't deserve the job to begin with and from the performances we've seen, doesn't deserve to keep it. Needs to step up over the next 6 weeks and prove he's the man for the job, otherwise we should let him see out the contract and begin the recruitment search ready for someone to take over at the end of the season. Howe or Bilic being the ideal replacement. Might sound harsh and sudden but if we want to make it to the prem we have to do it ASAP before we turn stale and have a bad season. Have a feeling next seasons championship will be even more wide open than this one, should we lose Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford, which seems likely, and gain Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham, again likely, then id fancy our chances more for next season than this, should we have a proper manager in place that is.. 

It was a rolling 12 months not a standard 12 month contract, so despite being 6 months in its still 12 months away from not having to compensate him. 

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think it's fairly obvious that the next manager will be Mark Robins.

I think it’s fairly obvious that Holden is a ‘season-long’ caretaker, and E Howe will be in charge at the start of 21/22 season. 

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The questions that need asking ;

Why not now ?

Why not us ?

It seems like we are always just hoping  rather than grabbing the bull by the horns and insisting that this season is our season and fighting to achieve our goal , whatever it costs .

Is Uncle Steve that  hard nosed owner demanding nothing less than a promotion ?

So Long as Lansdown' is the 'keyholder well never get to the Premier League....

Archived