IGNORED

The bigger picture

steviestevieneville

The bigger picture  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A addition to the sack Dean poll. We all know it’s just pointless with Ashton in charge . Who is the major problem though. Twenty years of Lansdown and two years of relative success. I’ll give him GJ because he appointed him  . We know though that Kieth Dawe recommended cotts. Some fans will say about the financial stability etc & that’s valid . However , it’s quite clear he knows very little about football and I’ve said plenty of times that we’ll never get promoted with him as owner. His strategy doesn’t work. Surely he must think , why isn’t it working .
So, should he sack MA and rethink things or would you be happy for him to sell up  

1 minute ago, Mr Chappers said:

Stable owner who loves the club, supports managers, has re-built the stadium, and developed top notch training facilities. That’s a problem most clubs would love to have

Separate investment in facilities and assets from footballing decisions and then give me your opinion on SL's FOOTBALL decision-making... 

Can't say he hasn't backed the club either. Looking at our current first team squad without injuries and we have 2 starting 11s worth of championship level players:

Bentley/O'leary

Lb - dasilva, Rowe, Sessegnon

Cb - Baker, Kalas, Mawson, Mariappa, Moore

Rb - Hunt, Vyner

Cm - Lansbury, Williams, Nagy, Massengo, Bakinson, Walsh

CAM - Palmer, Paterson

Wingers - ODowda, Adelakun, Watkins, Semenyo

Strikers - Martin, Weimann, Wells, Diedhiou 

I don't know how people can honestly say Lansdown isn't trying to get us to the next level. Sacked LJ because we didn't make the play-offs. Has spent money in proven championship quality. Don't buy that he opted for Holden as a cheap option. Invested millions in the club and so would like the prem money to be in the club too surely 

15 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Stable owner who loves the club, supports managers, has re-built the stadium, and developed top notch training facilities. That’s a problem most clubs would love to have

I covered this in my opening post. Do you think the football structure is working ? 

8 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Generally OK. I just look at other clubs owners and am very grateful for what we have.

Ok , really ? His managerial appointments  have been terrible (cotts=Kieth Dawe) and that was before Ashton mudded the waters with his recruitment . We’ve got no head scout, no director of football , it’s all mark ******* Ashton . It’s a shambles 

12 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Can't say he hasn't backed the club either. Looking at our current first team squad without injuries and we have 2 starting 11s worth of championship level players:

Bentley/O'leary

Rb - Hunt, Vyner

CAM - Palmer, Paterson

I don't know how people can honestly say Lansdown isn't trying to get us to the next level. Sacked LJ because we didn't make the play-offs. Has spent money in proven championship quality. Don't buy that he opted for Holden as a cheap option. Invested millions in the club and so would like the prem money to be in the club too surely 

Yep generally agree with this - the ambition is there and I think Holden was appointed with view of current circumstances (limited revenue). I'm grateful for SL and we aren't a Hull/Portsmouth etc who have nightmares over last few years. He isn't perfect and has made a lot of decisions that are questionable but have to be careful what you wish for sometimes.

In many ways I think Holden was a no lose appointment. If he did well then bonus but if he didn't then its because its a 'joke' season because no fans can be let in etc. A sensible appointment for these times but won't wash next season I don't think.

11 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Bentley/O'leary

Rb - Hunt, Vyner

CAM - Palmer, Paterson

No one said he hasn’t invested millions. Has it been invested wisely though. I think he’s wasted millions he didn’t need to . He or people he’s employed doesn’t understand the game. @Davefevs posted a list of players recruited since ashton has been at the club. If you go through that list , you can name on one hand the successes and there’s over 40 . No one is questioning his desire , I’m questioning his ability . He can build all the shiny new buildings he wants . ON THE PITCH where it matters he’s failed . 

18 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Generally OK. I just look at other clubs owners and am very grateful for what we have.

£200m invested over a 20 year period that has seen 50 clubs play in the Premier League, many much smaller and less well-off clubs than us, suggests failure to me. 

Which of these managerial appointments would you consider to be successful?

July 1999-January 2000: Tony Pulis
January 2000-May 2000: Tony Fawthrop **
June 2000-July 2004: Danny Wilson
July 2004-September 2005: Brian Tinnion
September 2005-March 2010: Gary Johnson
April 2010-August 2010: Steve Coppell
August 2010-October 2011: Keith Millen
October 2011-January 2013: Derek McInnes
January 2013-November 2013: Sean O'Driscoll
December 2013-January 2016: Steve Cotterill
February 2016-July 2020: Lee Johnson
August 2020 - present: Dean Holden

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Yep generally agree with this - the ambition is there and I think Holden was appointed with view of current circumstances (limited revenue). I'm grateful for SL and we aren't a Hull/Portsmouth etc who have nightmares over last few years. He isn't perfect and has made a lot of decisions that are questionable but have to be careful what you wish for sometimes.

In many ways I think Holden was a no lose appointment. If he did well then bonus but if he didn't then its because its a 'joke' season because no fans can be let in etc. A sensible appointment for these times but won't wash next season I don't think.

Why come out on national radio stating we want premier league football , breath of fresh air blah blah blah then. You state Pompey / Hull but what about Leicester or Southampton as examples. We could of been better off with a different owner . It’s very much a rovers trait to just accept things and not challenge. With the money he’s invested , it could/should be so much better

I don't know where the problem is because I don't understand the accountability at the club. How hands on is Steve Lansdown these days? We're told the Head coach gets the final say on signings, but is that only the final say on what's put in front of him? Is the head coach's desired style of play hampered because he's not able to sign who he wants as the CEO has too much influence, leaving us to recruit a team of individuals rather than a team with a style of play? What does Jon Lansdown do?

I'm sure Lansdown Snr wants premier league football, as Berkshire Red has said above, the money has been spent. But why is the football so utterly appalling? Why do we still look nothing like play-off contenders? Something has gone wrong, and with accountability unclear, it's difficult to say what. What I do know is that it's always the one at the bottom of the food chain that gets the chop, but the problems persist.

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

£200m invested over a 20 year period that has seen 50 clubs play in the Premier League, many much smaller and less well-off clubs than us, suggests failure to me. 

Which of these managerial appointments would you consider to be successful?

July 1999-January 2000: Tony Pulis
January 2000-May 2000: Tony Fawthrop **
June 2000-July 2004: Danny Wilson
July 2004-September 2005: Brian Tinnion
September 2005-March 2010: Gary Johnson
April 2010-August 2010: Steve Coppell
August 2010-October 2011: Keith Millen
October 2011-January 2013: Derek McInnes
January 2013-November 2013: Sean O'Driscoll
December 2013-January 2016: Steve Cotterill
February 2016-July 2020: Lee Johnson
August 2020 - present: Dean Holden

Interesting question. But I'd say two of the last three, so maybe that's progress?!

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Why come out on national radio stating we want premier league football , breath of fresh air blah blah blah then. You state Pompey / Hull but what about Leicester or Southampton as examples. We could of been better off with a different owner . It’s very much a rovers trait to just accept things and not challenge. With the money he’s invested , it could/should be so much better

I think it was pretty obvious what happened. We still want PL football however as the search started it became pretty clear that the circumstances meant there was no realistic chance of fans returning and therefore the club knew they wouldn't be able to promise transfer funds to an experienced manager. So the decision for this season was made to give Holden the roll (hence the 12 month rolling contract). A sensible decision provided we are in the championship when this nonsense is over (next season I would imagine).

I don't see a queue of people willing to invest at Bristol City. There are examples either way at clubs of stuff going well or amazing We have done OK but hopefully it will come good and I think it will in the future. The foundations are there. I don't just sit there and say its amazing - but I'm also not going to ask for change when I don't think that will be of any use to the club. Generally things have headed in the right direction over the last 5 or 6 years until LJ's last season. I'm a big fan of stability and what SL brings with that. I don't like the changing of managers or board or owners every 2 minutes which seems to be what so many fans want these days for whatever reason.

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Interesting question. But I'd say two of the last three, so maybe that's progress?!

I'd agree and also I'd say if Holden keeps us up this season and the foundations are laid for someone to come in then its some sort of success considering the circumstances of this season (injuries, covid etc). Cotteril got us up so success. LJ kept us up and improved us to become a top half side in this league so success. Now we need the next manager to take it the step further when things are normal.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Things could work with Lansdown. 

Things won’t work with Ashton preventing good managers from having the job. 

Which I don't actually think he has. I think serious questions would be asked about this if he doesn't appoint an experienced proven manager when the fans are back and things are normal again.

12 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I think it was pretty obvious what happened. We still want PL football however as the search started it became pretty clear that the circumstances meant there was no realistic chance of fans returning and therefore the club knew they wouldn't be able to promise transfer funds to an experienced manager. So the decision for this season was made to give Holden the roll (hence the 12 month rolling contract). A sensible decision provided we are in the championship when this nonsense is over (next season I would imagine).

I don't see a queue of people willing to invest at Bristol City. There are examples either way at clubs of stuff going well or amazing We have done OK but hopefully it will come good and I think it will in the future. The foundations are there. I don't just sit there and say its amazing - but I'm also not going to ask for change when I don't think that will be of any use to the club. Generally things have headed in the right direction over the last 5 or 6 years until LJ's last season. I'm a big fan of stability and what SL brings with that. I don't like the changing of managers or board or owners every 2 minutes which seems to be what so many fans want these days for whatever reason.

I’m a fan of stability also . The main worry for me is Lansdown keeps making the same mistakes . It’s not jus Dean or covid , it’s the current CEO and his recruitment/scouting policy and SL’s apparent lack of identifying the problem . It’s been 20 years & £200m with two promotions & one relegation . A huge amount of failed managers & players. After 20 years , do you think it’s going to change ? Something has to. 

I voted Ashton, but with every passing day he's still at the club more the focus has to shift to Lansdown. Because Ashton isn't going to sask himself.

To those questioning SL's football decision making I'd ask how involved he is? One of the few communications that's stayed consistent throughout the last few years is SL signs off major decisions like the manager's appointment and the overall transfer and wage budget.

How that budget is used he delegates. So he has allowed our wage budget to increase yet our league position has at best stagnated.

I'm sure he knows this, but is he going to act on it? Much of what he's responsible for, the stadium, training facilities are moving the club in the right direction. But they count for nothing if the football doesn't keep up.

I hate to say it but I see parallels with Sunderland at the moment...

4 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Would have thought that with Covid, no supporter income since Mar 20, no certainty of income over the next 12 months, and a truly awful injury crisis, time to cut some slack. Outside the PL, pretty sure some Clubs will be in a massive mess. Time to be grateful for what we have.

Covid has been with us a year . Lansdowns been in charge for 20 . Managerial & player recruitment has been in the main poor for most of those twenty years. It’s too easy to hide behind covid . The current on pitch situation has been coming for a few years now. 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’m a fan of stability also . The main worry for me is Lansdown keeps making the same mistakes . It’s not jus Dean or covid , it’s the current CEO and his recruitment/scouting policy and SL’s apparent lack of identifying the problem . It’s been 20 years & £200m with two promotions & one relegation . A huge amount of failed managers & players. After 20 years , do you think it’s going to change ? Something has to. 

I don't think he has made any mistakes in terms of managers for a while now. And I think in general the recruitment is very good - I'm certainly not moaning at a lot of the players that have come in over the last 5 or 6 years (Kalas, Mawson, Dasilva, Fammy etc). Mistakes have been made but every football club will have this.

I would be interested to know how much a lot of clubs have spent as the figures in football don't really mean too much these days. You can spend 100m and get nowhere quite easily. Undoubtedly teams have done better than us and some have done worse. Room for improvement definitely.

No I don't think anything has to change (fundamentally) as I believe the club is heading in the right direction in general and ignoring this unusual season in unusual times. Slow and steady progress can be frustrating in a world where people want stuff instantly. And SL has made a lot of mistakes along the way no doubt. He is far from perfect. But I do believe that Holden was the no lose man for this joke season and it will be time to start judging again next when he is put back to the role he should have (assistant).

Put it this way, if SL replaced MA with one CEO on £300k and one DoF on £240k (or any split of £540k you want to), I think we would make better corporate and football decisions.  You wouldn’t have conflicts of interest for starters.  You could have proper accountabilities.  A structure / reporting line of CEO > Head-Coach is a poor structure imho.

Archived