IGNORED

Mawson appeal?

Eddie Notgetinya

18 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Are we appealing? Surely he can’t get a 3 game ban for that!? It’s not even worthy of a sending off. If the rules say it’s a penalty then fine but it wasn’t deliberate. VAR has been a farce in the last 2 weeks but I guess nobodies talking about us because we’re only a championship club. 

At normal speed it looked accidental but in slo mo it definitely looked as if Mawson deliberately moved his arm to deflect the ball.

It was the right decision but conceding a penalty and having a player sent off is too harsh a punishment imo.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

At normal speed it looked accidental but in slo mo it definitely looked as if Mawson deliberately moved his arm to deflect the ball.

It was the right decision but conceding a penalty and having a player sent off is too harsh a punishment imo.

Not really because if he hadn't handled it, accidentally or not, it was in the net. So if they had missed the penalty, wheres the advantage gone?

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

At that speed there is no way it is deliberate. He wouldn't have been able to react to a ball being smashed at him from 4 yards away at 60 mph. The reason his arm moves is he is running trying to defend the goal. Anyone who has played football knows that by moving around the pitch your arms will end up in all kinds of positions that are natural but if you slowed them right down they would look odd. Its a nonsense rule and like VAR - a joke.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think slow motion can be deceiving.  I don't believe there is any way that, with a ball travelling at that speed, Mawson could have acted deliberately. Obviously the bottom line is is hand blocked the ball and it is a penalty and red card under the rules but I agree that the rules are unfair here. I feel, for this sort of clearly inadvertent handball, a yellow and penalty is appropriate. 

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I think slow motion can be deceiving.  I don't believe there is any way that, with a ball travelling at that speed, Mawson could have acted deliberately. Obviously the bottom line is is hand blocked the ball and it is a penalty and red card under the rules but I agree that the rules are unfair here. I feel, for this sort of clearly inadvertent handball, a yellow and penalty is appropriate. 

I would go even further and say nothing should be given. Its not deliberate and no one is genuinely asking for a penalty in reality. But its the rules that need changing.

11 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

At that speed there is no way it is deliberate. He wouldn't have been able to react to a ball being smashed at him from 4 yards away at 60 mph. The reason his arm moves is he is running trying to defend the goal. Anyone who has played football knows that by moving around the pitch your arms will end up in all kinds of positions that are natural but if you slowed them right down they would look odd. Its a nonsense rule and like VAR - a joke.

I just can’t get my head around how people can’t see this?! 

I was listening to one of the City podcasts which is decent but one of the guys on there said you could see it was deliberate, i couldn’t disagree more, the ball has been kicked so hard he literally can’t do anything about it 

Just now, Rob k said:

I was listening to one of the City podcasts which is decent but one of the guys on there said you could see it was deliberate, i couldn’t disagree more, the ball has been kicked so hard he literally can’t do anything about it 

Yeh definitely not deliberate but sadly slow motion can be used to prove things that aren't actually right. 

Like someone said before, if he did save it then he should be in goal because no keeper I know would have stopped that.

3 minutes ago, SinéadB said:

Intent isn't in the law, he has stopped a goal scoring opportunity with his hand therefore the rules state it's a red and a penalty. 

Unfortunate as he was just putting his body on the line, unfortunately it was the wrong part of his body.

Yeh but it really should be changed. He is getting penalised for a genuine attempt to stop the ball going in and for something that no opposition realistically was asking for a penalty on. It just ruins the game.

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

Yeh definitely not deliberate but sadly slow motion can be used to prove things that aren't actually right. 

Like someone said before, if he did save it then he should be in goal because no keeper I know would have stopped that.

That’s why i wouldn’t allow VAR to use slow motion when making a decision - it distorts everything, even with offsides when they are a toenail offside how do they know 100% to the split second when that foot first made contact with the ball 

3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

It doesn't matter under the current rule. Maybe the rule needs looking at but it's 100% the correct decision.

Just now, Super said:

It doesn't matter under the current rule. Maybe the rule needs looking at but it's 100% the correct decision.

I’m not talking about the rule in this instance, I’m talking about the fact that somebody thought it was a deliberate handball where in my opinion it wasn’t 

Just now, Super said:

Don't think there is any maybe about it - its a nonsense rule like 99% of VAR is! Even Chris Wilder who was the recipient of this decision said 'The manner of our goal will be debated'. Ie he doesn't believe this kind of nonsense is right for the game and has moaned about it in the past like many players and managers (VAR in general and not just the handball rule). 

45 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

No chance of successfully appealing it.  I believe 1 match ban.

If its just 1 match then just take the ban and move on. Anymore then appeal. No way in a million years it was a red card. Spoken to 3 friends (one an ex pro footballer) here today none of whom have an interest in BCFC and all think the red was ludicrous. Interestingly all of them thought we played quite well also.

Not sure he'll even be suspended, based on this article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56000437

Since 2018, yellow cards in English domestic professional football have only counted towards suspensions in the competition in which they are received. Pieters was banned for collecting two bookings in this season's FA Cup.

Happy to be corrected but my interpretation is that Mawson is now suspended for the next FA Cup game that he is eligible for.

Edit: Ah - just re-read the yellow card reference - interesting that it doesn't work like that for red cards particularly as this was not one for violent conduct.

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

If its just 1 match then just take the ban and move on. Anymore then appeal. No way in a million years it was a red card. Spoken to 3 friends (one an ex pro footballer) here today none of whom have an interest in BCFC and all think the red was ludicrous. Interestingly all of them thought we played quite well also.

I said earlier that I didn't think we were as bad as people are making out considering they had a strong side out and we were not full strength last night (for reasons I understand tbh). It's the months of negative football that have made some people so weary that they are now jumping on every last thing unfortunately. If Wells squares that ball we could easily have been walking out of there and back on that bus with a Quarter Final place.

23 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I said earlier that I didn't think we were as bad as people are making out considering they had a strong side out and we were not full strength last night (for reasons I understand tbh). It's the months of negative football that have made some people so weary that they are now jumping on every last thing unfortunately. If Wells squares that ball we could easily have been walking out of there and back on that bus with a Quarter Final place.

I thought we were ok first half then then obviously it's difficult to judge the second half with the sending off. 

Deliberate or not, it struck his hand/arm and prevented a goal. Penalty and a red card according to the law.

Give it up. This is something the other lot up the road would do - crying about a red card and trying to "appeal" it when it was the right decision.

You might not like the decision, but it was correct. Suck it up and move on.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

But it’s not, if the penalty is missed we’ve got away with one

Remember Suarez in the World Cup against Ghana and they missed the pen

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Not really because if he hadn't handled it, accidentally or not, it was in the net. So if they had missed the penalty, wheres the advantage gone?

And that, of course, is why the law is as it is. It's actually logical, however harsh it might have felt in that particular instance.

For me, it was a red card and penalty every day of every week (until the law is changed about what constitutes handball, although I still feel that should always be a penalty: arm out and stops a goal. It's just one of those things you have to accept).  

It would have been far better for us if the ball had gone in (11 v 11 and no one-match ban). 

Archived