IGNORED

Mawson appeal?

Eddie Notgetinya

2 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Are we appealing? Surely he can’t get a 3 game ban for that!? It’s not even worthy of a sending off. If the rules say it’s a penalty then fine but it wasn’t deliberate. VAR has been a farce in the last 2 weeks but I guess nobodies talking about us because we’re only a championship club. 

It’s a penalty but the sending off is pretty harsh . It wasn’t deliberate , no chance. 

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s a penalty but the sending off is pretty harsh . It wasn’t deliberate , no chance. 

As has ben said by many already, the problem is with the rule makers, not last nights officials. They administered the rules to the letter, a crap rule I'll agree. 

4 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

So, if we had scored a perfectly good goal, and the ref said "I'm not giving that but you can have a penalty instead" which Wells then Panenka'd over the bar, that would be ok?

Except the ball never hit the net for them ,I get what your saying but it shouldn't be a red card for a ball fired at you from 5 yards away. The penalty was fair enough but not the red card and suspension that comes with it.

11 hours ago, Rob k said:

I just can’t get my head around how people can’t see this?! 

I was listening to one of the City podcasts which is decent but one of the guys on there said you could see it was deliberate, i couldn’t disagree more, the ball has been kicked so hard he literally can’t do anything about it 

You need to realise that handball “inside” the penalty area doesn’t need to be deliberate anymore. Handball “outside” the penalty area still does though. This has been the case for two seasons now. Surely you have seen the ( possibly) hundreds of penalties given for the ball just hitting a players hand?. 

This has been debated time and time again, the law makers have created a ridiculous situation. So much so, that if Mawson was on the halfway line instead of the goal line, it’s probably 90% certain that even a free kick would not have been given. All that happened last night is that the referees ( including the var one ) applied the law 100% correctly.

The referees don’t make the laws, but they have to apply them correctly.

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Except the ball never hit the net for them ,I get what your saying but it shouldn't be a red card for a ball fired at you from 5 yards away. The penalty was fair enough but not the red card and suspension that comes with it.

The referee applied the laws of the game correctly. By the laws of the game it was a penalty and a red card, unfortunately that’s it. If the referee didn’t send him off he wouldn’t have been adhering to the laws of the game, and would now be in deep trouble from the relevant authorities. 

@Portland Bill is 100% spot on couldn't agree more. The issue is that the referees are not applying the laws of the game consistently (Aston Villa's Matty Cash a few weeks back) and they are not being pulled up on it by the relevant authorities. That is the real issue imo. VAR was used correctly, laws of the game applied correctly therefore punishment handed out correctly. No complaints from me. An appeal would be an absolute waste of time, we suck it up and move on.

The fact that the VAR people looked at it numerous times, then had to call the Ref to see it several more times and then even in slow mo it wasn’t clear says it all for me. Without VAR it wouldn’t have even been noticed and therefore not given is telling.

12 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

The advantage would have been the penalty, if they would have squandered it that's there issue.

That's not an advantage compared to a goal. I agree in a situation where striker gets brought down, hence why they brought in double jeopardy. There's no guarentee the player would score so harsh to punish twice for a genuine tackle.

In our situation it was very obviously going in had Mawson not blocked it. The penalty is not an advantage over a definite goal.

12 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Any sport where you can be sent off and banned for a game when it was not a deliberate action has got something wrong. 

Well obviously that's a bit of silly statement. Very few reds these days are a delibarate action. I don't think many players who get a red for a late tackle meant to foul the opponent, they just mistimed it! Even those nasty looking wild lunges are rarely done intentionally, it's usually just desperation/exuberance/enthusiasm to get the ball. e.g. Semenyo v Derby at the Gate

I only remember a few delibarate ones, obvious one that comes to mind is Roy Keane all those years back and most headbuts. Also in person the worst I remember was Steve Thompson on Basso at the gate, that was horrendous.

6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

You need to realise that handball “inside” the penalty area doesn’t need to be deliberate anymore. Handball “outside” the penalty area still does though. This has been the case for two seasons now. Surely you have seen the ( possibly) hundreds of penalties given for the ball just hitting a players hand?. 

This has been debated time and time again, the law makers have created a ridiculous situation. So much so, that if Mawson was on the halfway line instead of the goal line, it’s probably 90% certain that even a free kick would not have been given. All that happened last night is that the referees ( including the var one ) applied the law 100% correctly.

The referees don’t make the laws, but they have to apply them correctly.

Morning Bill - in this instance im not debating the law, even though i have seen another instance this week where the ball has struck a players hand accidentally and no penalty was given. I do think the law is ridiculous though as funnily enough defenders have arms. 
I’m saying i disagree with the chap on the pod saying he’s moved his arm deliberately to stop the goal. 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

The fact that the VAR people looked at it numerous times, then had to call the Ref to see it several more times and then even in slow mo it wasn’t clear says it all for me. Without VAR it wouldn’t have even been noticed and therefore not given is telling.

Spot on. Whatever happened to ‘clear and obvious’?

What I don’t like about VAR (in fact there are many things) which I touched up in FBC pod, is that when the ref goes over to the monitor, why do they only get one view.  Why wasn’t Wednesday’s ref shown the video from the position of the shot, to see if it got a touch by O’Leary or even did flick Mawson’s thigh.

I think they made the right decision, but they are leaving it a bit to chance.

I recall on Super Bowl back in the 80s (C4 and all that), and a player went of injured early on.  They used about 5 camera angles and nobody could work out why he’d gone off.  They showed the 6th camera and basically his leg has snapped but you couldn’t see it on the other angles.

It all seems a bit amateur imho.  If you cannot accurately freeze play at the point the ball is kicked in an offside (they can’t), then VAR is either not fit for purpose or needs re-structuring.

For me there’s an option to take 3 freeze frames, the middle one being the one closest to point of kicking, the others the frame either side.  You could then use the three frames to create your own version of cricket’s “umpires call” / benefit of doubt.

7 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Yep.  But that will be in the FA Cup next season for whoever he is registered for..

Don’t believe so....it’s only yellow cards that persist within the competition, e.g. 2 yellows in a cup comp equals miss next game in that comp..  Red cards cut across all comps, and create a ban in the next game, irrespective of comp (except EFL Trophy).

essential-information-for-players---2020

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t believe so....it’s only yellow cards that persist within the competition, e.g. 2 yellows in a cup comp equals miss next game in that comp..  Red cards cut across all comps, and create a ban in the next game, irrespective of comp (except EFL Trophy).

essential-information-for-players---2020

Bizarre

Just now, The Bard said:

Bizarre

It was brought in because players were intentionally picking up yellows to hit the “one match ban” limit ahead of a non-important game.

If you go back to the Brighton / Man U final of early 80s. Steve Foster (CB with a headband) missed the cup-final because he picked up his 5th yellow in the league game ahead of the finals did therefore had to serve his ban in the next competitive match.  That seemed unfair.

Nothing was done about it until a few years back, when there were a couple of examples of players picking up a yellow in a cup match (which they were several goals ahead), missing the next game because they’d hit the 5 yellow ban, and then were safe to play in the game after, a crunch game.  So in effect they were tactically picking up bookings to coincide their ban with an easy game.

Hence the rule change.  Now you could argue it should apply to red cards too.  I agree.  But I think the feeling was getting sent off in a game disadvantages you in THAT game so players won’t do it.

5 hours ago, MarcusX said:

That's not an advantage compared to a goal. I agree in a situation where striker gets brought down, hence why they brought in double jeopardy. There's no guarentee the player would score so harsh to punish twice for a genuine tackle.

In our situation it was very obviously going in had Mawson not blocked it. The penalty is not an advantage over a definite goal.

Well obviously that's a bit of silly statement. Very few reds these days are a delibarate action. I don't think many players who get a red for a late tackle meant to foul the opponent, they just mistimed it! Even those nasty looking wild lunges are rarely done intentionally, it's usually just desperation/exuberance/enthusiasm to get the ball. e.g. Semenyo v Derby at the Gate

I only remember a few delibarate ones, obvious one that comes to mind is Roy Keane all those years back and most headbuts. Also in person the worst I remember was Steve Thompson on Basso at the gate, that was horrendous.

I stand by what I say. If you issue bans based on the outcome rather than the intent I think its wrong.

The most honest and innocuous tackles can break legs. The most cynical and dangerous can result in no injury whatsoever. 

The intent is everything. 

Archived