IGNORED

The Youth of Today

ExiledAjax

I keep reading people saying if a youngster is played and we lose it will 'shatter their confidence'  Surely this is the risk they take being a footballer and if one bad game does this then perhaps they're in the wrong profession. You will never know what you are capable of until you try. In the famous first game against Fulham after the 8 were sacrificed Rob Newman was probably the worst player on the pitch,two games later he scored the winner at Walsall.Tommy Doc was 18 when he ruled the midfield.Play them and find out!!

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agreed. From what we've seen this season I'm not sure we currently have another Lloyd Kelly or Joe Bryan in this bunch, but there's certainly some nascent Championship players there. 

Again I agree that Bell in particular seems to have had the carrot dangled in front of him for too long without being given a fair chance. But that's part of my question - if you switch Bell into the starting XI last night, perhaps in place of Wells, then are you at the point of having too much youth in the team?

NO.

As a long standing fan, I have always watched youth games and in the real old days, the Reserves. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to see youth/Academy boys making the grade.

In times long passed, those who made it seemed to come in bursts and during lean years it was usually due to shortage of funds.

Now with an Academy which is very well funded by SL, is it too much to hope or even expect that at least a couple make the breakthrough every year?

Young players featuring is only positive if they are of standard to perform and the inclusion is on merit.

Hey if all the first team players are  out through covid, then we'd have 20 academy players in the squad! What a positive!

You need the context of them performing well.

29 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Young players featuring is only positive if they are of standard to perform and the inclusion is on merit.

Hey if all the first team players are  out through covid, then we'd have 20 academy players in the squad! What a positive!

A team full of young guns would not normally be a success. So some older wiser heads are absolutely necessary. AD brought in Ernie Hunt and later Norman Hunter and Peter Cormack.

DH has brought some in partly, I assume to help younger ones and partly due to injuries.

46 minutes ago, Prinny said:

It takes them 20-30 games before they even get used to the game at that level too. However we’ve had to chuck a few in out of necessity and it should benefit us in the long run.

Archived