IGNORED

Downing and Simpson?

Top Robin

So we are all focussing on Holden and quite rightly - I definitely want him gone.

But what of Downing and Simpson? 

They were brought on as experienced, quality coaches who had worked at a high level.

When Holden was given the job, I for one thought that he might get away with it by having these two coaches who would basically sort the team out in terms of influencing and having an input into the selection, shape, playing style, strategy and tactics plus the new signings.

Quite frankly, they have done naff all and in some ways our team has regressed.

This has been the most disappointing aspect for me - I was kind of relying on these two.

They must have some degree of responsibility and if Holden goes, so should they.

7 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

So we are all focussing on Holden and quite rightly - I definitely want him gone.

They were brought on as experienced, quality coaches who had worked at a high level.

When Holden was given the job, I for one thought that he might get away with it by having these two coaches who would basically sort the team out in terms of influencing and having an input into the selection, shape, playing style, strategy and tactics plus the new signings.

This has been the most disappointing aspect for me - I was kind of relying on these two.

They must have some degree of responsibility and if Holden goes, so should they.

They will probably get the job

Agree. I was very underwhelmed when Holden was appointed (well, we all were) but when these two were announced I thought 'hang on, we might just have something here'. Clearly not! 

I think someone on here referred to them as Bungle, Zippy and George. Which at the moment seems a fair assessment. 

No one really knows what impact coaches have because we aren’t privy to that info.

They might be the best coaches we can get - but unfortunately the buck stops with the manager.

Anytime the team’s form dips, this sort of discussion happens. I remember when people saw poor Holden as some sort of Jonah because his arrival coincided with our form under Johnson dipping!

Hopefully they walk when he’s sacked. Others might have thought they’d do well but I was very underwhelmed when we brought them in. Having looked at their club record it wasn’t great, I think the England roles fooled people in to thinking they were good but let’s be honest. No top manager is in the england set up, not even the one in charge of the national squad. Sorry to say but we’ve got the 3 stooges in charge of the team. God knows what goes on to produce what we’ve been watching for the last 6 months but if it was anything good we’d of started to see it by now. Sooner they are all gone the better. Knowing Ashton and JL though they’ll either keep with the current set up or sack Holden and give the job to one of the assistants. 

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I remember when people saw poor Holden as some sort of Jonah because his arrival coincided with our form under Johnson dipping!

Turns out fans right about him then eh, he’s still here and we still can’t play football ?

1 minute ago, Negan said:

Turns out fans right about him then eh, he’s still here and we still can’t play football ?

Haha, true I suppose. However being part of the coaching team and being a manager are different things.

My guess is he was probably bought in to be the ‘good cop’ in that setup.. which once again makes his appointment a bizarre one. 

I wasn’t impressed when they were appointed. Sean O’Driscoll became an England U19 coach after leaving City. Being a coach in the England set up means nothing when it comes to managing a league club 

22 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

Agree. I was very underwhelmed when Holden was appointed (well, we all were) but when these two were announced I thought 'hang on, we might just have something here'. Clearly not! 

I think someone on here referred to them as Bungle, Zippy and George. Which at the moment seems a fair assessment. 

There is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! ?

42 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Holden said recently that at City that there is  no blame culture - that obviously doesn’t apply to some of our fans tho.

If/when Holden leaves the club his assistants will go with him - unless one of them replaces him.

23 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I wasn’t impressed when they were appointed. Sean O’Driscoll became an England U19 coach after leaving City. Being a coach in the England set up means nothing when it comes to managing a league club 

That’s because SO’D is well thought of as a coach. Liverpool also employed him.

His issue is that he’s an incredibly dour and slightly odd man. That may be fine at a club the supporters acknowledge is punching above their weight (ie his time at Doncaster) but at the time our supporters never warmed to him.

The context of his time here is important, he had a very hard job to do. History should judge him kindly, he set lots of the groundwork in place for our eventual promotion.

When Johnson's job was on the line I wonder how helpful Holden was when he thought he might get a sniff of the managers job. I thought it strange that he stayed at the club. Likewise simpson seems to have more media coverage and hes been around football long enough to know that he has a chance of becoming manager if things continue, so how helpful is he being? Is he really giving Holden all his ideas? If Holden never teams up with johnson again then you know they have had a fall out.

It's impossible for us to judge the work they do behind the scenes but in hindsight it strikes me as a bit risky throwing three unfamiliar coaches together in Deano, Simmo and err... the Downmeister, and just expect them to click. There's a reason that managers typically use tried and trusted coaches.

1 hour ago, Super said:

They will probably get the job

Unfortunately I can see that happening if DH gets the boot. They will be given the job until the end of the season at least and you know full well the honeymoon period will jade the boards thoughts on them having it permanently.

It all makes sense really doesn’t it. Why 2 right hand men to dean? Ready made replacement duo?

5 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

So if he was sacked tomorow, you would be suprised to see simpson put in?

I think if he was sacked tomorrow they’d both also be gone. Although the club have been tin eared recently, they know that appointing - even on a temporary basis - Downing or Simpson is likely to alienate the fan base further.

If they do sack Holden, my bet is that it’d be Tinnion for short term - no intent for permanent from either party, but would be a galvanising short term fix from the fans perspective, and he should know the squad well enough. Likely assisted by Gilmartin in the short term also 

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think if he was sacked tomorrow they’d both also be gone. Although the club have been tin eared recently, they know that appointing - even on a temporary basis - Downing or Simpson is likely to alienate the fan base further.

If they do sack Holden, my bet is that it’d be Tinnion for short term - no intent for permanent from either party, but would be a galvanising short term fix from the fans perspective, and he should know the squad well enough. Likely assisted by Gilmartin in the short term also 

Surely MA would appoint himself?

Archived