IGNORED

Watford (A) - Sat 13th Feb 15:00 - Matchday thread

What will the result be?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What will the outcome be?

2. 2. How many will City score?

3. 3. How many will Watford score?

4. 4. How many shots on target will we have?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Better Red said:

The academy hype surely now put to bed. They are to young and not up to this level at the moment and maybe won’t be.

Everyone wanted the kids and has hyped them up despite the reality being very different.

Seymenyo just can’t score at this level so can not make it as a championship player.

Towler not ready and have doubts he will be for at least 2 seasons.

HNM & Bakinson just not strong enough for the top end of the championship also don’t see a goal in them.

T.Moore is a disaster waiting to happen every time he plays.

We don't trust O’Leary.

So where are all these great kids maybe at L1 but not this level.

Edwards aside who for me looks better than seymenyo after 70 mins of football at this level.

Its not the main problem that lies with very poor recruitment and the choice of manager who was always doomed to failure. 

But let’s stop pretending they are they are ready for this level when the just aren’t.

Well firstly as I've told you Moore and HNM don't get covered by the academy so I'm not sure what your persistence is with mentioning them on the subject

O'Leary - 'Don't trust' .... are you serious? Because that's a ******* joke. We trusted him enough to stick him in against Sheffield Utd but Bentley is deservedly number 1 and that won't change until Bentley has a horror run of form and many would class him as our player of the season. If we didn't trust Max it would have been Bentley starting Wednesday.

Towler was massively sold up the river by Taylor Moore today in terms of dealing with Sarr, we'd clearly told our WB's to get high and get involved, Sarr had no intention of tracking back to deal with Towler (probably knowing they'd create enough chances) and Moore didn't cover Towler, was brought off at HT with Dean saying afterwards he hadn't put a foot wrong for him but he wanted to protect him (as many on here were calling for). £40m player vs an 18 year old on his 1st league start.

Semenyo - I agree he needs to be doing better when he's getting shots away however compare Antoine last season (and previous seasons) vs this season, he's clearly getting better and his assist record isn't bad when you compare against forwards/wingers in the division.

Bakinson - Has good games, has bad games but its his first season in the division.

You left Vyner out whose having a good enough season being his first proper season as a 1st team player for us.

We had 14 players missing through injury today, who exactly are we supposed to be using instead? You can have recruited more players because then you have a bloated squad which isn't financially viable so you have to use academy players whether they're ready or not.

Point being all players take time to adjust to the championship standard, Brownhill, O'Dowda, Eliasson all took a season before we saw them as regular championship performers, you need exposure to the level.

O’Leary - Yes very serious. Remind me how many league games he has started... but we trust him really.....

Why I mentioned it was the team was full of the kids from the academy and we lost 6 nil.

Clearly not all down to them the older players let us down as well.

When I post that I don’t rate the ‘academy’ players to the same level lots of seem to I get post to defend them.

I am fine with a deferent opinion but some times we have got to admit they just ain’t that great.

Vyner agree has had a pretty good season and would be even better if we played him at RB.

Also Bakinson should be same as HNM and Moore as we bought him as well.

If that’s the case that don’t leave many others from the true academy that are playing - Oh I am right...

14 minutes ago, Better Red said:

O’Leary - Yes very serious. Remind me how many league games he has started... but we trust him really.....

Why I mentioned it was the team was full of the kids from the academy and we lost 6 nil.

Clearly not all down to them the older players let us down as well.

When I post that I don’t rate the ‘academy’ players to the same level lots of seem to I get post to defend them.

I am fine with a deferent opinion but some times we have got to admit they just ain’t that great.

Vyner agree has had a pretty good season and would be even better if we played him at RB.

Also Bakinson should be same as HNM and Moore as we bought him as well.

If that’s the case that don’t leave many others from the true academy that are playing - Oh I am right...

O'Leary - Because we don't rotate our keeper unless they're in poor form! We all know Holden believes in holding the shirt until a poor performance, as said he wouldn't have played against Sheffield Utd if we didn't trust him.

'full of kids' .... we had 3 who started? That's hardly full of kids, take them individually who else should have started? Vyner? He's been one of our more consistent performers especially at CB, Towler? Performed well in the cup game and your alternative is Mariappa whose been very poor at LB recently so I don't think you'd have seen many City fans criticising that selection either. Semenyo - Wells was the alternative and we've seen his performances lately, so many were happy enough to see Wells out the side, after that the next alternative is another academy player in Bell unless you change shape which Holden wasn't going to do after Wednesday. So I repeat who else do you play instead of the 3 academy players who started today?

I think everyone knows they're not 'great' championship players, Vyner/Antoine/Max steady enough for this level but as said the others will all require time to adapt to championship level, Reid and Bryan needed time and Kelly was England youth level who was playing premier league football about 18 months after his debut. Its not going to be a snap of their fingers and they're ready its going to take time, how else do they get that experience? When you look around the championship how many have 3 academy players starting with 4 more on the bench? 

Think from interviews the club counts Bakinson when they talk about academy players, could be to do with being 18 and domestically based as opposed to HNM and Moore. 

26 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

O'Leary - Because we don't rotate our keeper unless they're in poor form! We all know Holden believes in holding the shirt until a poor performance, as said he wouldn't have played against Sheffield Utd if we didn't trust him.

'full of kids' .... we had 3 who started? That's hardly full of kids, take them individually who else should have started? Vyner? He's been one of our more consistent performers especially at CB, Towler? Performed well in the cup game and your alternative is Mariappa whose been very poor at LB recently so I don't think you'd have seen many City fans criticising that selection either. Semenyo - Wells was the alternative and we've seen his performances lately, so many were happy enough to see Wells out the side, after that the next alternative is another academy player in Bell unless you change shape which Holden wasn't going to do after Wednesday. So I repeat who else do you play instead of the 3 academy players who started today?

I think everyone knows they're not 'great' championship players, Vyner/Antoine/Max steady enough for this level but as said the others will all require time to adapt to championship level, Reid and Bryan needed time and Kelly was England youth level who was playing premier league football about 18 months after his debut. Its not going to be a snap of their fingers and they're ready its going to take time, how else do they get that experience? When you look around the championship how many have 3 academy players starting with 4 more on the bench? 

Think from interviews the club counts Bakinson when they talk about academy players, could be to do with being 18 and domestically based as opposed to HNM and Moore. 

Every team rotates it’s goal keepers in the cup. We will always have a better keeper because he ain’t that good if he was we would not have signed Bentley and he would be in the team.

5 started not 3 and 1 came on as sub so that is a lot and why I made reference to it with the post.

I am not saying they should or should not have played.

I am saying they ain’t that good at the moment.

Our hope is not reflected in the reality. If it was I could not even make this point.

They very fact I can suggest this point means there most be some truth in what I am saying as painful as that Is to admit.

Its simple really - play them when they are good enough.  This is the Championship not a muck about on a Sunday Morning.

1 minute ago, Better Red said:

Every team rotates it’s goal keepers in the cup. We will always have a better keeper because he ain’t that good if he was we would not have signed Bentley and he would be in the team.

5 started not 3 and 1 came on as sub so that is a lot and why I made reference to it with the post.

I am not saying they should or should not have played.

I am saying they ain’t that good at the moment.

Our hope is not reflected in the reality. If it was I could not even make this point.

They very fact I can suggest this point means there most be some truth in what I am saying as painful as that Is to admit.

Its simple really - play them when they are good enough.  This is the Championship not a muck about on a Sunday Morning.

3 academy players - Semenyo, Vyner, Towler. As said twice now Moore/Massengo are not academy players and have never been referred to as such, younger players perhaps but not academy, but you're talking about academy player hype not young player hype.

About half the teams rotate keepers in the cup so not 'every' team and we were the only championship club to do so. But even if Max is only good enough to be a number 2 then it means the club doesn't have to recruit another who'd be on much higher wages saving the club money, in other words tick for the academy. But Tinnion was on today and said Max is a future number 1 and usually is honest with his opinions.

'Its simple really - play them when they are good enough' ... comes back to the point, who do you play instead at the moment though? Even if Wells played over Semenyo, we played Mariappa instead of Towler and played a back 4 replacing Vyner with Nagy or Palmer then your bench is mostly made up of academy players due to our injury crisis so unless you're advocating a 1 sub policy of playing the other of Palmer/Nagy then your academy players have to play at some point as there is no other option left, you can't recruit a bigger squad as said as well as then its too bloated financially. We HAVE to use academy players whether they're ready or not now we can't wait until they're better as we already didn't fill the bench.

This isn’t anything approaching an original point, but worth repeating anyway at the moment.

Bristol is doomed to be a footballing backwater forever more when you have:

i. Two sets of fans who are content to take the frequent calamities that bedevil their respective clubs on the chin provided “that other lot” are mired in all sorts of (usually self-inflicted disaster)

ii. A cup shock over a big club once in a generation 

iii. A trip to a national final of a tin pot competition where thousands of “fans” suddenly remember their allegiance to a team who are just down the road and not on the telly every week

iv. Teams only good for features in the national sports media about how Bristol suffers in comparison in terms of footballing achievements to practically every other region of England (except Cumbria; and is that a region? I fear it falls under NW England which I think just shades is in terms of accomplishments...)

v. The peanut hugging clubs winning European honours, something we can only dream of unless you count the Anglo-Scottish or Welsh Cups

vi. Owners who treat the two clubs like so much bog roll

We all knew what we were signing up for so it is what it is but when we get those little spams of belief that something special is going to happen like Korey scoring against Man U, Trundle curling one in v the Palace or Tinman scoring at Anfield we know that the crash back to earth is going to come quickly and undo all the good work that came before.

And yes, I still take solace in the Gash being absolute dog water in comparison to City...

16 hours ago, Better Red said:

The academy hype surely now put to bed. They are to young and not up to this level at the moment and maybe won’t be.

Everyone wanted the kids and has hyped them up despite the reality being very different.

Seymenyo just can’t score at this level so can not make it as a championship player.

Towler not ready and have doubts he will be for at least 2 seasons.

HNM & Bakinson just not strong enough for the top end of the championship also don’t see a goal in them.

T.Moore is a disaster waiting to happen every time he plays.

We don't trust O’Leary.

So where are all these great kids maybe at L1 but not this level.

Edwards aside who for me looks better than seymenyo after 70 mins of football at this level.

Its not the main problem that lies with very poor recruitment and the choice of manager who was always doomed to failure. 

But let’s stop pretending they are they are ready for this level when the just aren’t.

I disagree, it’s the blend having the right mix.  Youth are not Consistent they make mistakes. Get over for they’ll never improve and they’ll peak somewhere else. 

Archived