IGNORED

LJ didn't get credit

Yoyo2345

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

The history 'we' have with Warnock would make that as controversial an appointment as anyone else.

Understand the sentiment, but a few poor results and people would be straight on his back.

People complain about how poor the football is as entertainment, and then they want Warnock as manager.  Jeez...

Sorry to the OP but, there is very little I will give credit to Lee Johnson for. I think he fell on his feet with this job. I think he inherited a reasonable squad, plus the loans to get him past the first half season. I think Pemberton laid the foundation of that first seasons escape. I think he messed with the team experimenting for the last six matches in that first season, which I'll let him have the benefit of. I think he fell out with any players that were not subservient to him and they were never seen again. I think he was lucky when converting B R to a striker, as there was nobody else. I think he was lucky to get the job, lucky to have the backing and in reality, that was only because Lansdown didn't want another failure on his appointment record, basically he was what one might call, a lucky sod.

His football was generally poor, with team selection/rotation far too complex for the players to cope with. I think he ultimately failed to progress the club while still having more backing than any manager in the clubs history. And, he was out thought technically on so many occasions, it was embarrassing. 

He's got himself another lucky appointment and should walk that league with the squad he's inherited and the size of that club. I honestly don't know how he's ever made a living out of football with his limited ability. I wonder if it has anything to do with having his father and close friends in positions of power.

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Who might we have appointed instead five years ago, if we had been recruiting more thoroughly than from people in football SL knew well?

We don't know who might have taken the job, or how they would've done (good or bad). Sliding doors and all that.

Lee's average finish across more than 4 years was 12th, when SL was looking for minimum 6th. There will have been someone that could do better than that (not that SL could spot him).

I don’t disagree but we’ll never know. Could just as easily have brought someone in who didn’t keep us up.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

People complain about how poor the football is as entertainment, and then they want Warnock as manager.  Jeez...

A manager whose teams create chances and goalmouth action, tackle hard, etc.  

Another poster who’s been fooled into thinking that only tiki-taka football can be seen as entertaining.

Its Football snobbery at its heart.

Just now, Davefevs said:

A manager whose teams create chances and goalmouth action, tackle hard, etc.  

Another poster who’s been fooled into thinking that only tiki-taka football can be seen as entertaining.

Its Football snobbery at its heart.

Chances, goalmouth action , tackles

Booooooooo

Booooooooo

What sort of entertainment is that  

Theres a handful on here would turn down a Mega bacon bap for a s**t sandwich as long as it had the Club crest on it

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

After the 0:5 at Preston, we went on a five game unbeaten run.

Yes, there were only 6 games left and we lost the last game of the season. In the 5-game run we won 4 including wins against Wolves and Brighton so it was a good response. If we do that again this time I'll have no complaints but can't see it happening.

6 hours ago, bris red said:

Indeed. Even if covid never happened we still wouldn’t of appointed a McCarthy or a Hughton and I genuinely believe that. We appointed Holden because he was the best fit for whatever this strange and quite frankly ridiculous set up that we have at this club headed by the complete cock that is Mark Ashton!!

I'm not convinced about Holden being appointed if not for Covid.

12 month rolling contract combined with notes in the accounts with respect to an assumption that Stadia wouldn't reopen to full capacity until Summer 2021 does make me wonder. Reference to Business Planning based on these assumptions etc.

Remember too that the £25m loss from 2017/18 drops off the FFP calcs after this season, in theory we could capitalise if it's rolled over as I think it might be.

That combined with a more normal, steady income stream (hopefully), our new starting point being a £10m profit and quite a few out of contract could give us, and more significantly a new manager some headroom moving into 2021/22. Both actual and comparative to rivals.

Unsure about beyond then however.

11 hours ago, Elruliri said:

We should of appointed Neil Warnock five years ago and replaced him with a top flight manager after a couple of years to keep us in the Premier league. That was never going to happen under this management structure but it would of been the way to go.

If people complain about the football under Holden and LJ, then they certainly won't like Warnock's frequent style of play.

That said I think he's more varied or has been more varied than he gets credit for, perhaps moreso earlier in his career.

About 21 and a half years or so as we all recall, Pulis got appointed. Sure there were many complaints about his style, not in keeping with our preferred ways etc.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If people complain about the football under Holden and LJ, then they certainly won't like Warnock's frequent style of play.

That said I think he's more varied or has been more varied than he gets credit for, perhaps moreso earlier in his career.

About 21 and a half years or so as we all recall, Pulis got appointed. Sure there were many complaints about his style, not in keeping with our preferred ways etc.

What’s wrong with Warnock’s “frequent” style of play?

As for this season, much more passing, and a very good plan without the ball.

9 hours ago, Superjack said:

And the team picked itself due to injuries.

If we’re talking about the team that had a good first half of the season, that included the Man U game, of that starting 11 only Flint, Pack, Smith and Bryan were SC regulars? There are reasons to criticise LJ but not sure that’s one.

7 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

If we’re talking about the team that had a good first half of the season, that included the Man U game, of that starting 11 only Flint, Pack, Smith and Bryan were SC regulars? There are reasons to criticise LJ but not sure that’s one.

I think you’re missing one. And he’s definitely in the building. 

19 hours ago, Superjack said:

And the team picked itself due to injuries.

Might be slight exaggeration , but an interesting point.
I've likened it to Bobby Robson at the World Cup . Injuries more or less forced him to a back 3 and It worked, and worked well. LJ's options were limited and he stumbled on a team that could press high, could pass and move the ball quickly, could rotate positions and could see a pass. The big part of that was LJ's options were limited, he couldn't change much so the team was settled and didn't get confused. Move on a few games and Fam got fit, LJ started to switch the team and we lost that energy we had had. 

Johnson had lots of ideas but couldn't form them into a workable, coherent and simple plan. 

I’ve got mixed feelings on LJ’s tenure. On the one hand he had a passion for the club, we established ourselves as a club aiming for the playoffs and some of the football in that 2017-2018 season was excellent. 

On the flip side there was the way he seemed to overcomplicate things, the increasingly grating spiel in interviews, the losing streaks, turgid football, the calling out of players, the chopping and changing, and his role in the huge turnover of players and money spent that sometimes smacked of desperation. 

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What’s wrong with Warnock’s “frequent” style of play?

As for this season, much more passing, and a very good plan without the ball.

Usually it's quite direct isn't it? That said I believe his style has been more varied over his career than he gets credit for. As you say more passing this season but his football isn't over time known as particularly flowing.

Notable exceptions might include:

1) QPR 2010/11 promotion. Taarabt really shone under him.

2) Sheffield United he did a useful medium/long term job with, used some youth as well.

3) First spell at Crystal Palace, quite a bit of youth came through.

4) Could argue adding players such as Arter, Camarasa and Reid in PL was out of keeping with his traditional perceived approach. Sala too potentially if not for the tragic circs.

Over a long career though, a lot of jobs it doesn't seem that he has a reputation for high possession, high pressing taking the initiative etc.

Archived