IGNORED

‘The football club excelling at everything except football ‘

Sheltons Army

24 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Got to be careful what you wish for, owning football clubs these days is a money-backed affair, you clearly don't like Lansdown, but would you rather some shady Far Eastern / Middle East syndicate owner with no ties to the area and no knowledge of the the history of the club and its place in the community, and even less clarity on the source of the backing?

Are you saying that the stadium stinks, the training ground and the clear if often misplaced use of transfer funds?

I'm as pissed off as everyone else with the current form and some of the decisions made with regard to management recruitment, but wanting wholesale change is asking for trouble, all the successful teams in the upper echelons of football and I'd go from L1 to the Prem mostly have stability behind the scenes. The chaotic ones might shine for a while and then fall away - take Wigan, Bolton and Portsmouth for examples.

As much as I like Holden, I think his time is up, and we certainly need to look closely at our recruitment and medical teams. That close look will only come from an outside managerial appointment, changing the owner is only asking for trouble.

Not aimed at you per se BR, but I guess it’s a combination of things like in this post that frustrate me. Sorry, first of all, not aimed at you, you just triggered my thoughts.  General points made by other posters too.

Why do we have to be grateful to SL?

Why can’t we critique SL from our viewpoint?

Why do new owners have to be shady and from certain countries?

Why does acting quickly have to be rash?

Are the top clubs stable?  Is a bit of chaos bad?

39 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

What do you mean by this?

The reason I feel like this is if you read back over threads on here, other social media, or in chats in person regarding 'bad' owners, there was always an sureness that 'we'd never let their antics slide here'. Remember when Tan first took over Cardiff, and changed their kit to red? There were those who thought it was funny, and those who thought it was sad, but the overwhelming consensus from most was that it was wrong. We mocked the Cardiff fans for their compliance. We'd never stand for it, we said.

The same can be said for other poor owner decisions, like Hull's owner suggesting the 'Hull Tigers' name, Sheffield Wednesday charging us £42 a ticket, or  owners of countless clubs spending beyond their means.

Fast forward to 2018 and the ST prices were released, which heavily screwed over disabled fans, and fans with young children in certain areas. At this meeting, Mark Ashton, and Gavin Marshall were totally unsympathetic and out of touch. At this meeting I witnessed grown men, and life long Reds, cry at how they were being treated. There was clearly a lot of anger and frustration in the room. After the meeting, some stayed behind to plan the 'next steps'. However despite all the bravado over the years at how different we were, there was no appetite to do anything that would affect a match. No one wanted a walk out or boycott of any kind, and certainly no one wanted stuff on the pitch, like Charlton and other clubs were doing at the time. 

In the end a few banners against Ipswich was the height of the protest. I went to the match, held one up, and then left as the whistle blew to start the game. I've not been back since. I can deal with being betrayed or let down by those above me. Be it work, football, politics...the list is endless. But to feel let down by ones peers, and at the expense of the most vulnerable supporters, was too much for me. It became evident that for the vast majority of City fans, the team was more important that fellow fans, and that just isn't what football is about for me.

I've kept watch from a distance, but the toxicity around AG has grown and grown in the last 3 years, from the powers that be, but also the fans. I'm told the atmosphere was getting worse every week, and AG was not a nice place to be. Football should be fun, no matter what happens on the pitch, but it's up to us to make it that way, not sit in silence all game, then boo at the end when we don't get what we want.

And as for scrupulous owners, changing kit colours/badges and names, charging outrageous prices, or spending outside their means, I suggest you look at Mr Lansdown, and what he's done to Bristol Rugby club, or how our prices keep going up, or our latest accounts (pre covid), and you'll see he is as bad as the rest of them, just local...which if you ask some, makes it all okay.

Indeed, given that City recorded an Expected Goals total of 0.02 of a goal at Carrow Road against Norwich City, this was a comparative feast of attacking football as Han-Noah Massengo shot low at Daniel Bachmann in goal eight minutes from the end to finally warm the Austrian's hands on a chilly day.

??

For me sums up the problem in a sentence.  We're just terribly boring to watch, and have been for a couple of years now.  If anything, we're going backwards and the "entertainment" on offer has decreased even further this year.  Good luck to the club on shifting season tickets next year without changes in management.  Even should we avoid relegation (which is by no means a given at this point), and even coupled with the starvation of live football for so long, I feel crowds will be much lower than they are used to.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Why does acting quickly have to be rash?

I started a thread this morning stating that the removal of Holden and his coaching staff would not be acting quickly. 

Frankly the football from Holden has been awful and only the results in the early part of the season have saved his skin. 

Why  is SL not active ? 
He hangs onto until way too much damage is done. 

Bournemouth got rid of Tindall when they saw a drop off in results and performances. This will perhaps save their season.

Uncle Steve is too soft to run a successful football club. 

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I started a thread this morning stating that the removal of Holden and his coaching staff would not be acting quickly. 

Frankly the football from Holden has been awful and only the results in the early part of the season have saved his skin. 

Why  is SL not active ? 
He hangs onto until way too much damage is done. 

Bournemouth got rid of Tindall when they saw a drop off in results and performances. This will perhaps save their season.

Uncle Steve is too soft to run a successful football club. 

Frightened of success, frightened of a challenge frightened of being challenged.

I'll never forget him saying that he likes to employ young hungry people. With that you will inevitably get inexperienced people. That strategy might work with investments and hedge funds, when there's a planned format to follow and alarm bells ringing when you edge closer to a loss line but, does it work when those people employed are coming up directly against people that are worldly wise and experienced to a greater degree? This unfortunately is what we've experienced on numerous occasions now, with the recruitment of managers.

I can't work you guys out as looking from the outside you seem to have it all. A wealthy genuine owner, great stadium, big fan base p, decent academy but more often than not fail to deliver what the fans want and deserve. Yes you had a spell in the top flight in the late 70's and a couple of good cup runs but it's hard to know what needs to be done as mixed in that period you've had a few decent managers who still couldn't crack it Maybe some Gas wizard has put a jinx over Ashton Gate as it's hard to fathom out what needs to be done to get success.

2 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

I am a failed journalist - not enough emojis in my articles apparently so they let me go. I kept writing really angry diabtribes where I'd totally lose my temper. Passionately felt they were, railing against injustice; viscerally written from the heart. And my editor always wanted me to put a little laughing face emoji at the end of every article. She told me, 'if you do that, people will think you're a really good bloke because you will fool them into thinking that you're not really furious, you were just having a laugh all along. Even though, from the words that you've written, it might seem that you are really, really angry.'

It was sound advice, but just wasn't for me. Sad face.

I don't want to ruin your Sunday and keep you online while you write another four posts about how I'm a stupid failure and you're mega clever and a big time success. I think everyone can see that with the sick burns you've given me in your last few posts. 

But I will just say that if you put as much effort into doing the right thing as you do into doubling down when you're wrong, maybe the world would be a slightly better place.

Or just keep doing what you're doing. Who knows - maybe if you infringe enough copyright, then you can make all newspaper journalists failed journalists like me. Save people from the ads, save people from the journalism. 

Oi.

Have a look at that Twitter clip about JRM, Weetabix and Nanny’s Marmalade.

There’s a noun used. You might recognise it.....

6 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

We had Kieth Burt who was a massive part of recruiting that 2014/15 squad . Ashton sacked him as soon as he came in. Apart from a number of players you can count on one hand that have been proper successes , Ashton has wasted millions . He’s incompetent but incompetent on over £500k a year. You really couldn’t make it up 

And here lies the part of the problem. SL does not know how how to run a football club. He has employed a complete tosser in Ashton. Plenty on here saw through Ashton a long time ago. Now most do.

No point sacking Deano as you will just get another muppet under “Ashton rules.”
How does a tosser like Ashton get away with it?
This situation is gonna get a lot worse in the next few games.

1 minute ago, lenred said:

But you aren’t right.  

I guess what @the1stknowle is saying is that Gregor's employment depends partly on the clicks the BP website gets; so copying out articles drives down its click rate and therefore the Post's ability to generate ad revenue - so in a minuscule way it endangers  journalists, including GmcG. 

An alternative way of looking at it is this thread has generated praise and interest in Gregor's journalism, which will probably translate into more clicks on his stuff online.

At any rate, the purpose of this forum is to discuss matters pertinent to Bristol City, not to shore up the ad revenue of Reach PLC.

21 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I can't work you guys out as looking from the outside you seem to have it all. A wealthy genuine owner, great stadium, big fan base p, decent academy but more often than not fail to deliver what the fans want and deserve. Yes you had a spell in the top flight in the late 70's and a couple of good cup runs but it's hard to know what needs to be done as mixed in that period you've had a few decent managers who still couldn't crack it Maybe some Gas wizard has put a jinx over Ashton Gate as it's hard to fathom out what needs to Ben done to get success.

You tell us ST as our powers that be clearly don't know.

2 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

And here lies the part of the problem. SL does not know how how to run a football club. He has employed a complete tosser in Ashton. Plenty on here saw through Ashton a long time ago. Now most do.

No point sacking Deano as you will just get another muppet under “Ashton rules.”
How does a tosser like Ashton get away with it?
This situation is gonna get a lot worse in the next few games.

Sl knows how to run a football club, the business side of it , the problem is he knows **** all about the actual playing side of it .

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I guess what @the1stknowle is saying is that Gregor's employment depends partly on the clicks the BP website gets; so copying out articles drives down its click rate and therefore the Post's ability to generate ad revenue - so in a minuscule way it endangers  journalists, including GmcG. 

An alternative way of looking at it is this thread has generated praise and interest in Gregor's journalism, which will probably translate into more clicks on his stuff online.

At any rate, the purpose of this forum is to discuss matters pertinent to Bristol City, not to shore up the ad revenue of Reach PLC.

Yeah but.... Gregor’s one of us now! ?

He needs our support via his employers. 

No way fan pressure alone will rid us of the people who are taking the Club backwards.

Just now, RedRock said:

Yeah but.... Gregor’s one of us now! ?

He needs our support via his employers. 

Well I did say there are two ways of looking at it!

Personally, I usually supply a link to an article if I cut and paste big chunks of it.

That isn't a criticism of the OP. Glad he drew the piece in question to my attention.

22 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Sl knows how to run a football club, the business side of it , the problem is he knows **** all about the actual playing side of it .

Don’t think the owner needs to know how to run a football club (bank’s shareholders don’t know how to run a bank), but should know how to appoint people who do. Rugby, sorted; City, his son. 

1 minute ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Don’t think the owner needs to know how to run a football club (bank’s shareholders don’t know how to run a bank), but should know how to appoint people who do. Rugby, sorted; City, his son. 

That’s my point, he knows **** all about football, so the obvious thing to do is appoint people that do .

5 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

That’s my point, he knows **** all about football, so the obvious thing to do is appoint people that do .

Yep, soz think we’re agreeing, my point is that the rot is in-between him and the players (albeit some of them seem reasonably rotten), but he’s the only one who can fix it and is he prepared to tell his own flesh and blood to exit stage left? He should. 

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You seem to be on your own here with your incongruous outrage.

Thanks for posting Gregor's excellent article @Sheltons Army

Many would have missed it and (on the whole :whistle2:) it's led to a very interesting thread.

Yes, a very interesting thread, apart from the stupid in fighting that seems to:punish: happen all to often on this site.

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yes I understood what he was getting at but as you have said this is a city site not a site for generating clicks for the BEP and the interest is in the content of the article and GMcG is (rightly) getting the acknowledgment he deserves here, including from many  who wouldn’t ordinarily read the BEP. 

40 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Precisely.Get the impression that City is his son’s  “play thing”. Shambles.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

But you aren’t right.  

How so? Wrong legally? Wrong morally? Wrong factually? Or wrong in the way people say ‘wrong’ on forums when they mean ‘I want you to be wrong and me to be right so I hope that’s the case but I’m too lazy to do the basic googling to check so I’ll just say ‘wrong’ and might even say ‘fact’ after it to really settle the argument’. ?

You’ve come in strong and wrong so how about this. Ask Gregor. Tell him his work has been copied in its entirety and put on the forum and ask him if he’s cool with that because ‘it opens up a whole new audience to him’ or ‘helps generate debate about his writing which will ultimately lead to more traffic for the Post even though this article itself didn’t lead to more’.

Explain to him that copying and pasting is much better than linking for some reason (you know you’re right so you’ll be able to explain why). 

Because I’m ‘wrong’ - like you say - Gregor should be totally cool with the wholesale copy and paste. As will the copyright holder, his employer. 

14 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

How so? Wrong legally? Wrong morally? Wrong factually? Or wrong in the way people say ‘wrong’ on forums when they mean ‘I want you to be wrong and me to be right so I hope that’s the case but I’m too lazy to do the basic googling to check so I’ll just say ‘wrong’ and might even say ‘fact’ after it to really settle the argument’. ?

You’ve come in strong and wrong so how about this. Ask Gregor. Tell him his work has been copied in its entirety and put on the forum and ask him if he’s cool with that because ‘it opens up a whole new audience to him’ or ‘helps generate debate about his writing which will ultimately lead to more traffic for the Post even though this article itself didn’t lead to more’.

Explain to him that copying and pasting is much better than linking for some reason (you know you’re right so you’ll be able to explain why). 

Because I’m ‘wrong’ - like you say - Gregor should be totally cool with the wholesale copy and paste. As will the copyright holder, his employer. 

I don't think you're 'right'.

The main point though as far as this football forum is concerned is you're continuing to derail an otherwise interesting thread with your tiresome fanaticism to tell off, and create arguments, with other posters about something that nobody else has strong feelings about.

It would be great to have a chairman that engages with fans. SL used to do it on the sub forum, and I know Peterborough and Accrington chairmen are both on Twitter and regularly interact with fans (with some interesting exchanges). 
You have to have a ridiculously thick skin to be able to do that but it would be nice. 

38 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't think you're 'right'.

The main point though as far as this football forum is concerned is you're continuing to derail an otherwise interesting thread with your tiresome fanaticism to tell off, and create arguments, with other posters about something that nobody else has strong feelings about.

Maybe stop replying?

Still, at least you don’t think I’m right. Cheers for the copyright lesson. Thoughts are important. 

Show a bit of kindness and respect to the author that sparked your ‘otherwise interesting thread’ by pointing people to the article as it’s supposed to be read. 

Its here. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-verdict-football-club-5002587

Archived