IGNORED

‘The football club excelling at everything except football ‘

Sheltons Army

1 hour ago, the1stknowle said:

How so? Wrong legally? Wrong morally? Wrong factually? Or wrong in the way people say ‘wrong’ on forums when they mean ‘I want you to be wrong and me to be right so I hope that’s the case but I’m too lazy to do the basic googling to check so I’ll just say ‘wrong’ and might even say ‘fact’ after it to really settle the argument’. ?

You’ve come in strong and wrong so how about this. Ask Gregor. Tell him his work has been copied in its entirety and put on the forum and ask him if he’s cool with that because ‘it opens up a whole new audience to him’ or ‘helps generate debate about his writing which will ultimately lead to more traffic for the Post even though this article itself didn’t lead to more’.

Explain to him that copying and pasting is much better than linking for some reason (you know you’re right so you’ll be able to explain why). 

Because I’m ‘wrong’ - like you say - Gregor should be totally cool with the wholesale copy and paste. As will the copyright holder, his employer. 

You wrote that the OP stole GMCG’s work, the implication from you being that the OP had plagiarised the article for his own benefit (that’s why people steal things right - to benefit in some way from something that isn’t rightfully theirs?). And you are wrong, completely and utterly wrong, as the OP opened their post by crediting/referencing GMCG. That was my point In saying you are wrong.  If you choose to waste your day getting bent out of shape about that, writing diatribes to try and make a complete mountain out of a molehill then you go right ahead.  If you hadn’t noticed the internet is absolutely full of other people’s work being referenced. It’s kind of how things work. And I’m sure GMCG is very happy that his article is gaining recognition as a result. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not aimed at you per se BR, but I guess it’s a combination of things like in this post that frustrate me. Sorry, first of all, not aimed at you, you just triggered my thoughts.  General points made by other posters too.

Why do we have to be grateful to SL?

Why can’t we critique SL from our viewpoint?

Why do new owners have to be shady and from certain countries?

Why does acting quickly have to be rash?

Are the top clubs stable?  Is a bit of chaos bad?

I probably very pragmatic in my thinking, but you can’t knock Lansdown on the investment he’s put in thus far and I daresay that we should give him some gratitude for the money he has invested in the club when you appreciate that he’s never ever going to get that back, certainly whilst the clubs remains a lower championship team.

No one should escape critique, and I think that the senior echelons of the club really mismanaged the appointment of Holden, and this is quite rightfully being raised now, supporters bear the burden of support for life, whether the same applies to SL we’ll probably never know.

As to the source of new owners, you just have to look at the sums involved to buy and run a football club these days, and where does the money come from, just look at all the recent club purchases of late and follow the money, they might have a UK front end but the funds are largely overseas based, and as for shady, of course all Russian oligarchs are whiter than white in terms of their business dealings...

Nothing wrong with acting quickly, so long as it not knee jerk and at least following some sort of plan, I thought the whole academy and through to the first team idea is sensible in these days and whilst cliched it has and continues to work for clubs like Ajax and even at a smaller level like Crewe albeit less so these days for that example.

As for Chaos theory, I guess that has its place, but I think as a business enterprise which football is now, stability has its benefits. On the playing side you’ve got to look at recent team selections and substitutions for an example of how well chaos works...

it is an interesting debate, so no problems with you saying that stuff like this frustrates you, and clearly judging by the likes, your reasoning seems to have struck a chord with some.

We only have got to look at our local rivals to see the benefit of chaotic ownership.

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

It would be great to have a chairman that engages with fans. SL used to do it on the sub forum, and I know Peterborough and Accrington chairmen are both on Twitter and regularly interact with fans (with some interesting exchanges). 
You have to have a ridiculously thick skin to be able to do that but it would be nice. 

Communication with the fans over the last few years has really deteriorated.  What happened to the fan group that met with club officials on a regular basis?

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I do think Holden is doing poorly with what we have, and really hope he can get something going. Just picking up the odd win for now, enough to keep us mid table comfortably enough whilst players start returning. And then hopefully find some good form in the final part of the season to finish in a respectful enough position.

But when looking at the squad we had put together at the start of the season, if anyone had told me we'd be without Sessegnon, Mawson, Baker, Williams, Dasilva, Rowe, Walsh, Brunt, Weimann, O'Dowda, Paterson, Martin for large parts of the season. But left back might be okay in January with Pring and Nurse recalled who both looked good at their loan clubs, oh no actually they're both injured too! I'd probably think we'd be fair bit lower than we are.

No doubt injuries are by far the biggest problem at this club. That needs sorting more than anything else.

It really is absolutely ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it. So much quality not available. Players having to play all the time because there's nothing else there to pick from other than kids that are probably brilliant for their age, but are not ready for this level.

Given what you’ve just said there which I’ve highlighted, do you think SL would cut Holden a little slack and feel he hasn’t been given a fair chance with these injuries?

Lansdown appears to be a stubborn man and you get the feeling he wouldn’t want this appointment to be a failure so soon. Would he swallow his pride?

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I think so. 

I do think if Holden was to get sacked at some point this season and his successor has a lot of those players fully fit next season and does well, then people will probably wonder what could have been for Holden without such a crazy amount of injuries.

I do believe that Holden is making some bad decisions with what he has. But I imagine Lansdown will be looking at those injuries as being the big problem, rather than Holden.

????******* hell!!!??

Gregor's writing has been strong but his press conferences are so weak. Go read the press conference transcript. He has the opportunity to ask much better questions, never ever follows up on why things happen.

He can hide behind the fans again if he's afraid of Holden.

Just ask why that performance happened? 

Ask about the "turning point" and the season being "on",

Ask about him being excited about the solution at left back/wing back. and the future of that position.

Why we don't create chances.?

Why so low in possession and shots?

Where was Nahki Wells yesterday when the game was closer? Was he benched because he didn't pass to Pato?

Why bring on Kasey at that time?

Why wait until half time to make the change at the back?

Why 8 subs?

Why are Pearson and Bell on the bench?

Why doesn't Kalas play LCB?

Ask about Lansbury's performance?

How Pato been since he's been back?

If a fan was like Gregor, strong behind the keyboard, weak in person, you'd call them a keyboard warrior and that he brown trousers the face to face.

I understand that he doesn't want to have his access removed, but like he can ask polite questions about the details of the game and doesn't.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I do think Holden is doing poorly with what we have, and really hope he can get something going. Just picking up the odd win for now, enough to keep us mid table comfortably enough whilst players start returning. And then hopefully find some good form in the final part of the season to finish in a respectful enough position.

But when looking at the squad we had put together at the start of the season, if anyone had told me we'd be without Sessegnon, Mawson, Baker, Williams, Dasilva, Rowe, Walsh, Brunt, Weimann, O'Dowda, Paterson, Martin for large parts of the season. But left back might be okay in January with Pring and Nurse recalled who both looked good at their loan clubs, oh no actually they're both injured too! I'd probably think we'd be fair bit lower than we are.

No doubt injuries are by far the biggest problem at this club. That needs sorting more than anything else.

It really is absolutely ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it. So much quality not available. Players having to play all the time because there's nothing else there to pick from other than kids that are probably brilliant for their age, but are not ready for this level.

How about if we finish 15th - 20th? Would that be respectable enough?

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I think so. 

I do think if Holden was to get sacked at some point this season and his successor has a lot of those players fully fit next season and does well, then people will probably wonder what could have been for Holden without such a crazy amount of injuries.

I do believe that Holden is making some bad decisions with what he has. But I imagine Lansdown will be looking at those injuries as being the big problem, rather than Holden.

Isn’t Holden responsible for many of those injuries ? 

Overtraining, under training , programmes...

Some of it is bad luck but a lot of it is not. 

I can only look at how other clubs are performing and see that we are doing something wrong. 

Christ if these players were racehorses most of them would have been put down. 

On the playing side the buck stops with the head coach/ manager. 

16 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I can't work you guys out as looking from the outside you seem to have it all. A wealthy genuine owner, great stadium, big fan base p, decent academy but more often than not fail to deliver what the fans want and deserve. Yes you had a spell in the top flight in the late 70's and a couple of good cup runs but it's hard to know what needs to be done as mixed in that period you've had a few decent managers who still couldn't crack it Maybe some Gas wizard has put a jinx over Ashton Gate as it's hard to fathom out what needs to be done to get success.

Now you mention it, MA could well be Sirrius Snape in a suit

15 hours ago, glen humphries said:

That’s my point, he knows **** all about football, so the obvious thing to do is appoint people that do .

Trouble is. I think , he thinks he does know about football . That’s the problem . To try & answer @Shaun Taylor question . 
the rugby club have a CEO in Mark Tainton. A club legends & well respected rugby man. He’s allowed to get on with his job and they’re flourishing.

SL has a history of interfering on the football side. Even if he isn’t now. He’s employed a businessman as CEO that also thinks he knows the game &runs recruitment / scouting . He controls everything & it doesn’t work.

we need imo a DOF  a experienced man to recruit the best scouting network available . A proper playing philosophy that we can recruit to. A succession plan . Why are peteborough & Brentford constantly picking up young players that come in & seemlessly replace the last one. (Succession planning)

appoint a coach/manager with a succession plan in place as well , Barnsley / franks at Brentford . At first we’d need a experienced man with a promotion or two non his cv but without a doubt we need a DOF . 

On 14/02/2021 at 08:06, Sheltons Army said:

This is a piece by Gregor Mc

I thought it was a good , well written view / piece  , by somebody who is pretty close eyes to what goes on , but without the anger that many of us fans feel

Thought I’d post it for those that otherwise may miss it

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bristol City verdict: The football club excelling at everything except football 

Bristol City's ambition burns bright. But that red glow you see is not the sun on the horizon but the reverse lights after the current team crash from Championship defeat to defeat. The direction of travel is not so much south west. Just south.

Everywhere the team goes or whenever they play host they impress. Whether it's food donations from the Robins Foundation, the club's imminent plans for moving into state of the art training facilities, to their top-class stadium, hospitality and concert programmes and burgeoning sports quarter plans.

The work of the academy is regarded as top notch and there is talent constantly being pushed into the senior side (we'll come onto this more in a second) attracting attention elsewhere. Both the CEO and media teams have won industry best-in-class awards of late.

But the club is simply not impressing where it matters most: on the pitch.

Every year the mission is to go up or at the least be 'competitive' as Mark Ashton explained recently. The club is now failing on that account and it doesn't take a backroom team of analysts to work that out.

If this writer is being harsh given that Manchester United were beaten not so long ago, then put down the cider and wake up to 2021. We're four years on from that point. The club has wasted those talents that forged those heady nights and the current squad looks way off the pace.

Saturday's capitulation, the worst for a decade, will at least see BS3 gilded cages rattled and hard questions asked. Jon Lansdown gave up tweeting about Bristol City some time ago but after a fourth league defeat in a row, but a ninth in the last 12 games, there will at least be some discussion behind the scenes.

City's relegation form for the last three and a half months (only Birmingham and Wycombe have taken fewer points than City since 1 December) demands it. Alarm bells will ring around super hub Ashton Gate after this one and a vaccination for incompetence needs be sought, after the defending reduced a club legend to swearing 'f****** hell' on live broadcast.

By some twisted quirk, the Robins are still just one point off seventh position. But to acknowledge that is to dismiss the ineptitude of recent matches and a side that is in freefall. It was just one shot on target by the end of Saturday's one-sided contest, making it nine in total in the last five games, less than two per match. Savior them, Bristol City fans, as you're liable to have to wait around an hour of drab match action to see another.

Indeed, given that City recorded an Expected Goals total of 0.02 of a goal at Carrow Road against Norwich City, this was a comparative feast of attacking football as Han-Noah Massengo shot low at Daniel Bachmann in goal eight minutes from the end to finally warm the Austrian's hands on a chilly day.

It certainly was an attacking display of splendour going the other way up the pitch though, as City were once again outclassed. Ismaela Sarr was the star turn, but Ken Sema and Joao Pedro can have thoroughly enjoyed this one too.No-one comes out of Saturday's trip east well for the visitors, despite the Robins heading to parachute-payment enhanced opposition and a side who had a full week to prepare. City by contrast looked like they'd had a full hour.

Watford were backslapping to the tune of John Barnes and Nigel Callaghan on the wings following this game, as the home side recorded their biggest margin of victory in a league game since 1982, when Eye of the Tiger by Survivor was top of the charts and Graham Taylor in thrall at Vicarage Road.

But there was little fight on show from the Robins. Survival was gone after just half an hour of play, being three down. And to think that some critics have lambasted Mark Ashton for never solely helping the Hertfordshire club to achieve anything...

Questions will be asked of Holden, Ashton, the board and the strategy going forward, and so they should be.

This was men against boys stuff. Quite literally with 18-year-old Ryley Towler looking a good talent but why on earth would you put him on the left against arguably the best winger in the entire division, courted by Manchester United and Liverpool? For his second league game ever. Having not played that position ever before in a league game. And likely no team ever, bar last Wednesday.

Perhaps if Alfie Mawson had been behind the academy graduate it may have been worth the risk, but an untested young talent thrust into the senior side because of injuries and not on ability was a recipe for disaster.

Taylor Moore had a regrettable afternoon and the fact that he was on for a hat-trick of own goals and not mentioned by the head coach after the game tells its own story (Lee Johnson would have publicly rebuked; Holden takes the flak now).

As for the head coach, he looked shell-shocked in his post-match press conference. We don't suggest that there will be a replacement as the message from the club has been that this is an extraordinary season and Holden has not yet had a fair crack of the whip.

There are other reasons for the drop-off in form of late too: poor recruitment, a threadbare squad ravaged by injury and more, while the club seem happy to bumble along until pressed to actually do something.

For City, things could rapidly deteriorate in the next games ahead with some difficult fixtures to come at home against Reading and away to Middlesbrough and Swansea City, with confidence having taken an almighty Harry Wilson-like stamp to the mid-drift. Things change very quickly in football and further humiliating scorelines may force a quick rethink.

Mark Ashton explained ahead of the season that "challenging for promotion is definitely the aim". "It's definitely more than achievable," he added.

Jon Lansdown expected a promotion challenge too. "I believe we had a squad last year that should have been challenging for the top six and I think going into next year, there's no reason to think that we can't be in that bracket again. We want to be at the right end of the table challenging for promotion," he said.

What do you say now, chaps?

That's a very good piece, although not likely to win friends at AG. Real anger simmering there.

23 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Are we excelling off it?

Almost everything around the club stinks, even pre covid. We have a clueless, narcissistic owner who is a tax dodger, a CEO who is the slimiest man in football, a fanbase that is entitled and cowardly, and a team that is unrelatable and poor.

The club needs a re-think from bottom to top, because nothing good will come from the top.

Errrr...ground redeveloped, egg-chasers flying, new training ground, etc. As a whole, the Bristol Sport and AG organisations seem healthy.

23 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

It's not about the crediting. If I download Jurassic Park and show it to a bunch of people, it's still theft, even if I carefully explain to them that Steven Spielberg made the movie and not me. 

If yours is a good faith question, then let me know and I can link you to lots of stuff about how bad copy and pasting is for journalism and why work should be read on the platform that pays the journalist to write it. 

But if you just want to tell me 'it's not theft' because the Bristol Post is free or 'it's hardly like he burgled his house', then we can leave it there. 

You literally can download a film and show it to a bunch of people. Friends, family, etc. What you can't do is charge them for it, or broadcast it publicly.

The OP did the correct thing, citing the author, date of the article,etc. Entirely reasonable and no different to what Wikipedia does.

It IS unusual to show the whole article, and I would have included a link, but the offence you have taken is misplaced and an over-reaction.

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Isn’t Holden responsible for many of those injuries ? 

Overtraining, under training , programmes...

Some of it is bad luck but a lot of it is not. 

I can only look at how other clubs are performing and see that we are doing something wrong. 

Christ if these players were racehorses most of them would have been put down. 

On the playing side the buck stops with the head coach/ manager. 

Speculative!

I don’t disagree that something is probably wrong.  But the set up of every training decision is not just Dean’s idea.  He discusses each session with his assistants and the “medical” people, reviewing the data etc.

If he is ignoring advice, then he’s a fool.  

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Trouble is. I think , he thinks he does know about football . That’s the problem . To try & answer @Shaun Taylor question . 
the rugby club have a CEO in Mark Tainton. A club legends & well respected rugby man. He’s allowed to get on with his job and they’re flourishing.

SL has a history of interfering on the football side. Even if he isn’t now. He’s employed a businessman as CEO that also thinks he knows the game &runs recruitment / scouting . He controls everything & it doesn’t work.

we need imo a DOF  a experienced man to recruit the best scouting network available . A proper playing philosophy that we can recruit to. A succession plan . Why are peteborough & Brentford constantly picking up young players that come in & seemlessly replace the last one. (Succession planning)

appoint a coach/manager with a succession plan in place as well , Barnsley / franks at Brentford . At first we’d need a experienced man with a promotion or two non his cv but without a doubt we need a DOF . 

Without a doubt sl thinks he’s a football man, Massive problem for us ,double that up with Ashton and John ,it gives you a right mess.

On 14/02/2021 at 08:20, Sheltons Army said:

No Ron - Never played left wing back before his debut (At any age , not just as a pro)

And I’m pretty sure playing Left back is new to him

He was a central midfielder converted to a Centre Back

In fairness we do have a ridiculous of injuries in that position but the fact we basically throw Towler to the Lions with no protection is the issue in that particular issue IMHO 

Who do we play in that position? Whoever we put there is going to be a weakness with the current injuries. 

That's alarming though! CM to CB then into the first team at 18 in his third or 4th position!?

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Speculative!

I don’t disagree that something is probably wrong.  But the set up of every training decision is not just Dean’s idea.  He discusses each session with his assistants and the “medical” people, reviewing the data etc.

If he is ignoring advice, then he’s a fool.  

Do you disagree with my last sentence Dave ? 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Do you disagree with my last sentence Dave ? 

No, I don’t.  Well, yes, I do, the buck stops at those above too.

48 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Did I imagine it, but I'm sure when Deano was appointed he said that our aim in every game was to score 2 goals? Anyone? 

Taylor Moore got a brace on Saturday.

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Errrr...ground redeveloped, egg-chasers flying, new training ground, etc. As a whole, the Bristol Sport and AG organisations seem healthy.

Okay. I'll list the things I think are good compared to 10 years ago. Stadium is better from a financial stand point, kits are nicer, academy players in the first team and sell well, training ground is good. 

But that is simply not worth the complete lack of 'sense of belonging' that is integral to football...and money is still being haemorrhaged, even pre-covid so not that healthy either.  

12 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Okay. I'll list the things I think are good compared to 10 years ago. Stadium is better from a financial stand point, kits are nicer, academy players in the first team and sell well, training ground is good. 

But that is simply not worth the complete lack of 'sense of belonging' that is integral to football...and money is still being haemorrhaged, even pre-covid so not that healthy either.  

The thing is though is that it's not an either or scenario. You can look after your supporters (such as sensible pricing for Disabled supporters that I notice you have a particular issue with) AND have a nice Stadium, good kit selections, state of the art training facility and a successful youth system. However how can that scenario ever possibly happen when you have a clear attitude from the guy who owns the whole shooting match along the lines of "I put in all the money, it's my club, I do what I want". That's all great until people decide they don't like the outcome of "do what I want".

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

The thing is though is that it's not an either or scenario. You can look after your supporters (such as sensible pricing for Disabled supporters that I notice you have a particular issue with) AND have a nice Stadium, good kit selections, state of the art training facility and a successful youth system. However how can that scenario ever possibly happen when you have a clear attitude from the guy who owns the whole shooting match along the lines of "I put in all the money, it's my club, I do what I want". That's all great until people decide they don't like the outcome of "do what I want".

I completely agree. It's not an either/or scenario at all. The rot starts at the top with SL. For me he either has to have a serious re-think n how he runs this football club, or give it up. Sadly that'll never happen anytime soon without serious dissent from the fans, which there simply isn't appetite for. 

On 14/02/2021 at 08:41, RedRock said:

Simples.

The most important person at a football club is the MANAGER. The highest paid employee at the football club should be the manager.The Club stands or falls on the manager’s performance. 

It’s not the CEO. Nope. The CEO works for the football manager. The CEO does what the manager says. 

Not the centre-forward either. The centre-forward works for the manager and team. 

If Steve doesn’t realise the rise and fall of the value of the football assets (players) he trades fundamentally relies on the quality of the manager, and not the CEO, we will never get anywhere. Until we appoint a quality manager who is in charge of football matters  we are doomed to ‘also rans’ In the Championship, more likely being a big-City embarrassment in League 1. 

Agree with a lot of your post but you can't just leave it wholly to the manager.

You still have to have basic budgetary constraints- think £39m rolling losses and if the manager is chafing against that you'll have a problem.

I'd also be interested to see a manager/CEO split- manager may not always be the highest paid employee at a club these days. Not just talking about us tbh.

Birmingham left it to Redknapp in 2017- went well! Didn't QPR get into a mess with Hughes and Redknapp having strong autonomy.

Not sure either have recovered from it, I heard the other day that Birmingham have made some massive cutbacks in recent years- maybe it was in part imposed as part of EFL obligations etc.

Budgetary big picture CEO, choice of players- although entire autonomy also can have issues- Manager.

Manager can't be given license to just disregard FFP however. CEOs have a responsibility to set a budget within applicable regulations and Projections.

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I completely agree. It's not an either/or scenario at all. The rot starts at the top with SL. For me he either has to have a serious re-think n how he runs this football club, or give it up. Sadly that'll never happen anytime soon without serious dissent from the fans, which there simply isn't appetite for. 

I'll sound like an apologist but I'm curious as to the market for Championship football clubs in this Covid era with cash an issue moving forward.

There might be lots of interest- but how much of it would be credible, reliable? Reasonably sensible.

Plenty of asset strippers, fantasists, tyre kickers and so on would be interested in a club of course- they always are, always have been. Then even if modest intent, how many inept would be owners are out there? Truly inept I mean.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with a lot of your post but you can't just leave it wholly to the manager.

You still have to have basic budgetary constraints- think £39m rolling losses and if the manager is chafing against that you'll have a problem.

I'd also be interested to see a manager/CEO split- manager may not always be the highest paid employee at a club these days. Not just talking about us tbh.

Birmingham left it to Redknapp in 2017- went well! Didn't QPR get into a mess with Hughes and Redknapp having strong autonomy.

Not sure either have recovered from it, I heard the other day that Birmingham have made some massive cutbacks in recent years- maybe it was in part imposed as part of EFL obligations etc.

Budgetary big picture CEO, choice of players- although entire autonomy also can have issues- Manager.

Manager can't be given license to just disregard FFP however. CEOs have a responsibility to set a budget within applicable regulations and Projections.

Did they?  Or weak DoF / HoR / CEO?

Archived