IGNORED

Mr lansdown

redsocks

To steve.

Please can you take your head out of pat lams a-- and start having a look at your football club.its seems your more interested in the bears than the city.because if you do ,you might realise how bad your football team has become.soon you will want us to start buying season tickets for next season.??

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s interesting comparing the rugby and football. In some ways they're incomparable given the finances and level of competitors. However the principle of appointing Lam (proven, established, serious pedigree) and allowing him full autonomy pays dividends.

True Phil - given the amounts of money invested in infrastructure, players' fees/contracts etc, you'd think it would sensible to put some serious money into recruiting a proven and experienced football manager.  

1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

It's interesting how petty jealously and envy crop up over and over again on here. 

Football and Rugby are two different games and one year that may, possibly, may sink in. 

Success in either sport doesnt guarantee the other. Look at Clive Woodward at Southampton.. 

Your right, it is two completely different sports. The finances to succeed in either are world's apart 

But....for me, when I look at the amount of money SL has invested in players over the last few years, surely it would have made sense to invest in a top coaching team. We didn't do it with LJ, and we certainly haven't done it with Holden 

It's like buying all the best equipment and materials to build a house then employing a cowboy who has never built to a house, to build it 

We have a good squad of players here. Every single one of them is being mis-managed and poorly handled though 

Surely the penny has dropped with those at the top that, considering they have bought in god knows how many new players over the last 4 years, we haven't moved forward one bit 

33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s interesting comparing the rugby and football. In some ways they're incomparable given the finances and level of competitors. However the principle of appointing Lam (proven, established, serious pedigree) and allowing him full autonomy pays dividends.

6 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

True Phil - given the amounts of money invested in infrastructure, players' fees/contracts etc, you'd think it would sensible to put some serious money into recruiting a proven and experienced football manager.  

Im not a Rugby aficionado, but the impression I have is that it is relatively easier to “buy” the best in RU than it is in the championship, with the Bears operating in Rugby’s top flight while City is second tier and with financial  limitations imposed by ffp. Im guessing that Pat Lam is Rugby’s equivalent of a Pep/Klopp/Mourinho ( Rugby guys please correct me if I’m wrong with that assumption) and if that is the case, then such an appointment by the football club would be in the realms of fantasy.

As far as putting serious money into recruiting a proven and experienced manager is concerned,  I think most immediately think of the manager/coach’s salary as the issue and conclude that Holden was the “cheap” option. Given that we were in the pandemic lockdown at the time of the appointment, with no crowds in attendance and no idea how long the situation would prevail, it would be understandable that the club were mindful of the financial implications, but I wonder whether the concerns might have been more to do with the plans someone like Hughton would have outlined. 

If his ( and perhaps other candidates) plans involved a major overhaul of the squad, requiring substantial funding, then I could see why the club would be reticent about such an appointment and might well have “ended up” with DH as the only financially viable option. The losses announced for last year would seem to justify such financial concerns.

For what it’s worth, given the current situation and the financial implications it has for the club, I think we should look for an experienced manager  - one who would command a good salary. Part of his brief should be to justify, and earn,  his salary  by addressing the wage bill - moving out those that don't want to be here or have no future here - even if it means we take a hit on transfer fee in the short term.. He should have a good track record of working with, and bringing through young players so that we maximise the benefit of our academy. DH has bloodied a few players this season, but I get the feeling that this was almost by default due to our injury crisis. We have a midfielder who is a key man in the Hungarian national team yet struggles to get a game in a team of “choppers” - I would hope that a new manager would know how to get the best out of Nagy.

All of this implies the new man having major involvement in the recruitment process and decision making, which obviously then calls into question MA’s involvement. MA has shown that he is an adept negotiator as evidenced by the deals he has done, such as Webster and Kelly. However, I think we now need a better balance between the financial necessity of selling players to help balance the books for ffp and developing the team to be competitive.

To this end, as many others have said, perhaps MA has had too much control with player recruitment, so that we are getting players in on the basis of the profit potential MA sees in them rather than how the coach/manager sees them fitting with his team plans. Would MA be prepared to “delegate” recruitment to a new manager/coach and would the “ideal” manager/coach be prepared to work with a CEO having so much involvement in recruitment?

Until 18 months ago I would say that SL saw MA as being just as/more important to the club as/than the head coach, given the financial successes he was achieving and the teams relative success on the pitch. In the last 12-18 months I wonder whether that balance has changed in SL’s mind and whether our current free fall on the pitch and in the table might lead him to conclude that MA won't keep us in the championship, as things stand, but the right managerial appointment would. If so, then MA might have to like it or lump it!

I'm not calling for Holden's head, as I simply don't trust this shower of shit to appoint anyone better.

I honestly didn't think the football couldn't get any worse, but it has.

A solid base had been laid under LJ, but the football was suffering, it needed an experienced manager to take it to the next level and after 6 weeks I really thought they were taking their time to get it right. Turns out they didn't have a Scooby bloody Doo.

Their approach to appointing managers is the same as Holden's approach to managing. We'll do the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

11 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Your right, it is two completely different sports. The finances to succeed in either are world's apart 

But....for me, when I look at the amount of money SL has invested in players over the last few years, surely it would have made sense to invest in a top coaching team. We didn't do it with LJ, and we certainly haven't done it with Holden 

It's like buying all the best equipment and materials to build a house then employing a cowboy who has never built to a house, to build it 

We have a good squad of players here. Every single one of them is being mis-managed and poorly handled though 

Surely the penny has dropped with those at the top that, considering they have bought in god knows how many new players over the last 4 years, we haven't moved forward one bit 

Not quite (3) Lions led by donkeys but it comes pretty close. Professionals led by amateurs perhaps. Invest in good leaders and they will usually achieve.

The football managers with the longest careers are those who know how to succeed, and they usually have success at multiple clubs. Appointing someone who has been successful previously at a lower level is always going to be a far better bet than trying to find that successful person from within your own ranks.

So in an interview process for a football manager/head coach, saying “the right things” should be far less important than your actual record. But not at Bristol City, where MA knows better and on field success seems less important than almost all other clubs at any level!

Archived