IGNORED

Last chance saloon for SL

Ivorguy

6 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

I have been a football fan all my life, never interested in rugby other then 6 nations and World Cup. 

I now find myself looking at the Bristol bears fixtures and not even interested in city. The bears have got it so so right and the key factor in that is the man in charge pat lamb, the type of leader who galvanizes a community and not only knows what people want to see but knows how to deliver it!

We need to **** the current men in charge of the football side off and start again, the first thing to do is put a leader in charge who has a history of Success.

As it stands I can see my self getting a bears season ticket over a city one next year!

I couldn't have said it better myself! This is exactly how i feel & it hurts to say it 

27 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I think you misread my original post.  In a nutshell. If SL fails to respond in a positive way to this latest crisis there are implications for his whole project of Bristol Sport.

I am calling for a rethink on the way the club is managed.

if you wish for suggestions, all made in one way or another on Otib in the past, here are some:-

1 An external audit of the club from top to bottom and a commitment to implement recommendations.

2 A functioning Board with a larger base, including City (Bristol) and fan, representation..

3  Bring in new investors alongside SL

4 A new strategy and policy over recruitment including coaches, medical team, as well as players.  This to include appointment of outside consultants.

5 improved media communication with fans and wider city of Bristol.

I have said, again on numerous occasions, that SL’s management style is 19th century.  No one can today say ‘This is my club, I can do what I Like’ and expect to be taken seriously.  

So, action required,

1. Acknowledge past failures, now stretching over two decades, when measured against declared aim of playing in top flight

2. Take positive action to remedy this

Sorry if I did. When I read 'Last Chance Saloon for SL' and 'his position becoming untenable' i must have misunderstood you.

The only defence I have for Ashton is that I think it’s highly probable he was given a clear mandate by SL in the search for LJ’s successor. Ashton only carried that out, overseen by the inept JL and ultimately signed off by SL.

Don’t be fooled into thinking SL is taking a backseat with the decisions this club makes. Look back over the last 20 years and you will see the same patterns. The common denominator is SL. 

1 hour ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Interesting set of comments from the orig. Op statement. 

But at the end of the day SL owns Bristol Sport which Bristol City are just a part of. So he will run it his way. How much the supporters feelings are catered for or even listened to Is down to SL so he is going to follow his plan what ever. 

He can do whatever but if his customers are not happy with the product he's in big trouble,Do I like Bristol city FC being part of Bristol sport no I don't, Do I like what I'm seeing on the field no I don't,It's no good having a 33 million wage bill and losing its customer base because that is exactly what's going happen.To many bad decisions have been made on the football side and it needs a harsh clear out,whether that is from CEO to Kitman then so be it. It needs football people in on every level and it needs football people making the football decisions.. Am I sick of it yes i am !!

Its very rare for fans to vote with their feet in sufficient numbers that it forces an owners hand.  Blackburn is probably the closest I can remember - that was a mess, and you can hardly say the fans 'won'.

In any case, I just can't see City fans voting with their feet in sufficient numbers at Ashton Gate.  I think we have more apathetic fans than most.  

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Fans - 'We demand that Steve steps back from football affairs, he needs to leave it to other people'

Things don't go well

Fans 'Steve where the hell are you? We demand that you do something!'

But surely that is just the common sense, best practice scenario?

Appointing competent football people to run the football side within his remit, and only stepping in when something is wrong. It is his club after all, his money, his responsibility, his legacy.

Perhaps he feels things are tickety boo at the moment, hence nothing. He'll be in a better position than any of us to judge!

But surely fans seeking some sort of clarity/comment/action from him is wholly understandable? Unless I've misinterpreted?

26 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

I have been a football fan all my life, never interested in rugby other then 6 nations and World Cup. 

I now find myself looking at the Bristol bears fixtures and not even interested in city. The bears have got it so so right and the key factor in that is the man in charge pat lamb, the type of leader who galvanizes a community and not only knows what people want to see but knows how to deliver it!

We need to **** the current men in charge of the football side off and start again, the first thing to do is put a leader in charge who has a history of Success.

As it stands I can see my self getting a bears season ticket over a city one next year!

I couldn't agree more and it really has got to the point where people just don't care anymore. Yesterdays battering would have really hurt me a few years ago, but I seem dead to the feelings now, so enjoyed my evening not even thinking about it. If the players don't care, why should I.

With regards to getting someone in who knows what they are doing, it's not going to happen mate. If you look at our list of managers over the years, we've never splashed big (i.e Pat Lam equivalent) and never really had what I'd call a named manager, i.e. Houghton, McCarthy, Warnock to name a few. I'm not saying that it would equal promotion if we did, but it may be worth trying soon. Eddie Howe anyone??

I also wish the club would stop spouting the BS about top 6 every bloody season as well, it grinds my gears. I know they have to, but I wish they just keep quiet like they are at the moment :laugh:.

IMO SL isn't that interested anymore, and I very much doubt I'll ever see us in the Premiership. The way things are going more like back to L1.

11 minutes ago, Street red said:

He can do whatever but if his customers are not happy with the product he's in big trouble,Do I like Bristol city FC being part of Bristol sport no I don't, Do I like what I'm seeing on the field no I don't,It's no good having a 33 million wage bill and losing its customer base because that is exactly what's going happen.To many bad decisions have been made on the football side and it needs a harsh clear out,whether that is from CEO to Kitman then so be it. It needs football people in on every level and it needs football people making the football decisions.. Am I sick of it yes i am !!

Are you saying that our kitman is rubbish? ?

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Are you saying that our kitman is rubbish? ?

Not saying he's rubbish it just needs a entire clear out with fresh ideas and new faces. I would never say he's rubbish I've to many good memories of games and goals to say that ? but you can't stay around forever unfortunately.

21 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Sorry. For some fans to think his position is untenable because they aren't happy with results on the pitch is just plain arrogant and stupid.  Perhaps some should consider supporting another club if they feel that way.

That Wigan owner, that was untenable, that Blackpool owner, that was untenable.  Landsdown isn't even in the same vicinity as some owners that shouldn't even be allowed to own clubs.

Some on here have very short memories and need to be careful what they wish for.

Edit: just to clarify, when I say stupid, I mean in relation to the comment/view and not the poster.

Yeah I agree that untenable is the wrong way to frame it, but in terms of ‘customers’ as I put it voting with their wallet, that’s true

16 minutes ago, bris red said:

What a depressing thought Jon Lansdown calling the shots in a decade or so, dear god.

Yeah it’s like turning 30, 40 or 50. Mentally prepare for it now so it’s not so depressing when it comes. 

30 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

This is the reason why SL is not in "last chance saloon"  but sipping duty free cocktails in  the exclusive VIP lounge for tax avoiders only.    

In the long term he doesn't care if City bobble between Championship and League 1.  That's what they've done during his whole tenure and look at the amazing business and property portfolio he has been able to build build on the back of it.  

As long as some of the sporting punters are happy (the rugger-boogers in this case), he really doesn't need the stress of us in the Premiership - think of how much he'd have to shell out to get a whole new squad to survive 10 minutes at the highest level.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Did he this time though? With regards to the appointment of a head coach, seemingly he all but removed himself from the process bar signing off on the decision other people made, clearly he has stepped aside in this case. 

Certainly Ashton mentioned that the recruitment process followed what the Lansdown Family wanted

So no , probably no say in at all

He might not have been present at the interviews but I’d bet everything I have that he was integral to the process and decisions on a daily basis 

42 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

Not for me. Football is my sport (I've watched the Bears a few times and it's good as something different to do) and if it gets to the point that I can no longer stomach the way things are being managed on the football side at Ashton Gate there are loads of football grounds in the area I would visit including POTD at the Gate for the odd bigger game. People would say you don't want to watch crap football but you'll happily go to BMF or WSM.............at least you see goals and shots and you can sit back and relax with no real affiliation and just ENJOY the football................at a fraction of the cost too. You can also go into the bar at these clubs and the Manager/Players will have a chat with you. Don't get me wrong I've been supporting the club for 44 years now (with much reduced attendance when I played football) and I want to carry on watching City week in, week out for years to come but there is a tipping point given that my EXPECTATION is to see SOME entertaining and enjoyable football for my circa £1K input to Steve's club each season and if that tipping point is reached the last thing I would be thinking is "let's get a Bears season ticket instead".

We’ve had much discussion on here over the years, regarding SL’s success in his managerial appointments and nothing appears to have changed by moving on to appointing CEO’s as well.

So to keep it brief, I’ll summarise it with the following, which I think is his record in a nutshell!

image.gif.06e69bb6bcd19419bb620d89a227159d.gif

1 hour ago, Street red said:

Funk Likes GIF by Kölsche Funke rut-wiess vun 1823 e.V.

When some say customers are not happy and it will affect his business I wonder. Yes certainly stop buying season tickets etc and it will affect the business and we will probably as a result have to restrict our investment in players. That is what is already happening because of Covid. 

Those customers referred to are his football customers of course. I imagine the same cannot be said of the rugby or basketball customers of his. As Gregor has said today, most aspects of Bristol Sport are developing nicely and even the football club have done so in most respects except where it really matters to us as supporters , on the pitch. I don’t buy into the notion that Rugby or Bristol Sport have had a negative impact on us, quite the reverse looking at the Stadium development. Many clubs will be facing much more desperate times than us in the coming seasons and that is because we have a committed owner. That in itself will increase our ability to compete in the short term.

A person like SL does not walk away from a business plan that is overall developing well  but he does need to tweak the parts that are not working. Pat Lam has been a big part of the Bears success and has not been hindered by a Mark Ashton type figure. I don’t think he would still be here if MA was his boss. A stronger ‘Football man’ is needed whether as coach or as Director of Football or both. It’s hard to see that happening whilst MA is still in post.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wonder what percentage of fans do pay on the day.

Didn't we have around 14,000 season ticket holders? that coupled with an average away following of say around 2,000 means with an average attendance of around 21,500 the last season before the pandemic, means that by my calculations  on average 5,500 paid on the day, a not inconsequential number.

2 hours ago, Street red said:

If the customers are not happy with the product then one of two things can happen

The owner acknowledges the product is not of the quality expected and changes the product and also those in a senior position responsible to deliver the product

Or, they stick with the product and hope those in the senior positions improve the product over time and change the customers perception & experience 

No idea what SL will go for but I think we have been here before???

5 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

If SL fails to deal decisively and successfully with the present crisis, then I believe his own position may become untenable in the medium to long term.

Why? Because fans will vote with their feet.  This is already an unacknowledged problem occasioned by Covid, as the attendance cycle has been broken.  It has been rendered more serious for City as results, and wide criticism, have led to even diehard fans threatening not to renew their season tickets.  Many, of course, will renew whatever they say.  But my guess is a serious drop in season ticket sales if the crisis continues or worsens. But that isn’t the real threat to SL.  He is unlikely to worry overmuch if there was a 25% fall in ticket sales. What he should worry about is the wider fan base who buy on the day.  This group is far more likely to have been affected by the Covid break.  This means that the City’s profile in the city will suffer decline, maybe a lasting one.  In short it will be apathy rather than anger that will make SL think again about his sporting project focussed on the city as a whole.  Only the City can give him that city, regional, and national (forget international for that horse has long bolted) recognition he seeks.

Act now in your own self interest if not ours as City supporters.   Bristol, the city, is losing interest in your project, Steve.

I’m not sure your position can ever be become untenable when you own almost all the shares.

24 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

I’m not sure your position can ever be become untenable when you own almost all the shares.

Because in the end the problems caused to you, your profile, and reputation can be so damaged, the only way is to cut one’s losses.

if you read my second post above it indicates ways in which SL can prevent such a scenario from happening.

But such scenarios have played out in other clubs with single owners. 

What is difficult to imagine, however, is either he does nothing, surely he has more nous than that, or he sells up (I agree unlikely).  On balance, therefore, I think he will intervene, then the only question remaining is will it be more successful than the countless times he’s been here before over the last 20 years.

Time alone will tell.

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

If the customers are not happy with the product then one of two things can happen

The owner acknowledges the product is not of the quality expected and changes the product and also those in a senior position responsible to deliver the product

Or, they stick with the product and hope those in the senior positions improve the product over time and change the customers perception & experience 

No idea what SL will go for but I think we have been here before???

We certainly have but the club can be self efficient all it wants but it's a football club if it's not producing the goods on the field and the club makes ridiculous decisions all what lansdown wants it to be will go out the window.. The product isn't working and that product doesn't interest the customer no more. Or it could be that the product works but its the people that runs/controls the product that they are simply not good enough or is it both? . I personally believe it's all over complicated from the coaching side all the way down through.. It's football its a simple game.

4 hours ago, Daniro said:

This is the reason why SL is not in "last chance saloon"  but sipping duty free cocktails in  the exclusive VIP lounge for tax avoiders only.    

In the long term he doesn't care if City bobble between Championship and League 1.  That's what they've done during his whole tenure and look at the amazing business and property portfolio he has been able to build build on the back of it.  

As long as some of the sporting punters are happy (the rugger-boogers in this case), he really doesn't need the stress of us in the Premiership - think of how much he'd have to shell out to get a whole new squad to survive 10 minutes at the highest level.

But to guarantee that he is able to cover his losses over the last 25 years, the club has to spend at least one season in the Premier League with a couple of years of parachute money.

My opinion is that Premier League is irrelevant to him in football terms but very important financially.

8 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

If SL fails to deal decisively and successfully with the present crisis, then I believe his own position may become untenable in the medium to long term.

Why? Because fans will vote with their feet.  This is already an unacknowledged problem occasioned by Covid, as the attendance cycle has been broken.  It has been rendered more serious for City as results, and wide criticism, have led to even diehard fans threatening not to renew their season tickets.  Many, of course, will renew whatever they say.  But my guess is a serious drop in season ticket sales if the crisis continues or worsens. But that isn’t the real threat to SL.  He is unlikely to worry overmuch if there was a 25% fall in ticket sales. What he should worry about is the wider fan base who buy on the day.  This group is far more likely to have been affected by the Covid break.  This means that the City’s profile in the city will suffer decline, maybe a lasting one.  In short it will be apathy rather than anger that will make SL think again about his sporting project focussed on the city as a whole.  Only the City can give him that city, regional, and national (forget international for that horse has long bolted) recognition he seeks.

Act now in your own self interest if not ours as City supporters.   Bristol, the city, is losing interest in your project, Steve.

? ?

6 hours ago, Daniro said:

Typical SL bollocks

On 14/02/2021 at 12:51, tin said:

The only defence I have for Ashton is that I think it’s highly probable he was given a clear mandate by SL in the search for LJ’s successor. Ashton only carried that out, overseen by the inept JL and ultimately signed off by SL.

Don’t be fooled into thinking SL is taking a backseat with the decisions this club makes. Look back over the last 20 years and you will see the same patterns. The common denominator is SL. 

You have sussed it out. 

Archived