IGNORED

Brentford v Barnsley

ray savino

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Look who they have been playing left wing back most of the season. The right footed,short, mobile central midfielder Callum Styles.

Just shows some players can adapt well. Why can't someone like Nagy do that role for us in our current situation.

Wanted to watch this game but could not find it on Now TV. 

Barnsley have not had the injuries we have had but I still feel they are more clever than us with what they have to work with. Probably one thing they're more clever at is avoiding a crazy amount of injuries!

Britton on paper looked an obvious signing, going by little clips and how MK fans talked about him. He appears to be a very hard working, fairly tall and strong wing back. Very good crosser of the ball too.

Barnsley sign him for probably very cheap. We bring in an injury prone loan, who we'd only be developing for Fulham had he played more.

They are a very well run club and seem to be coached very well. They actually haven't been in great form in the league but only seem to lose by the odd goal.

I get the feeling that if they had a bigger budget then they'd be doing a lot better. Whenever I see them they look exciting, full of energy and well organised. 

Struber did an outstanding job last season and fair play replacing him with this guy now.

And there’s the proof of the “German market” (Austrian in Struber’s case).

Ive said for years (since 90s when I watched loads of it on my telewest box!) that the German brand of football couples technical and physical very well, that I thought there were many players who would fit in well in this country.  It now appears their managers are from the same mould.

Just now, Wade Wilson said:

I’m so annoyed with how well Barnsley are doing, Valerian Ismael was basically my number one pick to replace Lee but, no, no, how dare we be adventurous in our appointment. Well done, Barnsley. 

Fair play....I only knew he’d played for palace, that’s it.

54 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Brentford had a late collapse, after rising up the table, last season IIRC ?

Will history repeat itself ?

Hmm not sure. Think this will be their year, myself, whether it's the playoffs or automatic. Barnsley are a good team

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Barnsley are a really good side. Put us to shame with budget etc really. Cant see anything other than a Barnsley win next week. Worth noting we are bottom half now as it stands too

They’ve got a proper head coach, who’s managed Wolfsburg in Germany, and had a 62% win ratio at Linz in Austria before joining the mighty Barnsley. Meanwhile, we get Holden.

2 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

I’m so annoyed with how well Barnsley are doing, Valerien Ismael was basically my number one pick to replace Lee but, no, no, how dare we be adventurous in our appointment. Well done, Barnsley. 

Perhaps his English isn't good enough to say "Yes, Mark, whatever you say Mark".

24 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Barnsley look a good side don't they?

The stats are interesting, shows you CAN win with minimal possession and just look at the goal attempts!

image.png.e0c8990c2b3883c2036932f3141bb508.png 

Compare with...

image.png.94555ed17aa4a646622b21c90052a5fb.png

Same amount of the ball and very different stats. Depressing huh? 

Had them as my dark horse for 6th at the start of the season. Currently looking like they may miss that, but I think they will be top ten, and will finish above us.

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Had them as my dark horse for 6th at the start of the season. Currently looking like they may miss that, but I think they will be top ten, and will finish above us.

That's one hell of a shout Exiled, they didn't even come into my thoughts for top 6. ?

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fair play....I only knew he’d played for palace, that’s it.

Yeah, I follow the Austrian Bundesliga and he was in charge of LASK over there. They gave RB Salzburg a run for the title last season, in addition to doing well in Europe, surprised everyone. Had a bit of a stormy end (points deduction and sacking for training fully too early under COVID) but his teams, as we can see, play excellent football and he can work on a budget and then some. 

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's one hell of a shout Exiled, they didn't even come into my thoughts for top 6. ?

Always interesting re-visiting pre-season predictions. Some of my top six now look wildly off ?

Gunna pat myself on the back for this assessment of our own mob though "If we still had LJ in charge I’d probably have us finishing lower than 20th. Honestly we were abject for much of last season and by most measures and metrics we had more in common with Luton and Charlton than with the teams in the top 6. Under Holden (in a 5 game sample) we improved. Slightly. In pre-season we seem to be doing ok. Just. I’m still not expecting fireworks this term, and honestly suspect we will find ourselves flirting with the relegation positions at least once over the course of the 46 games. I expect a lower mid-table finish."

Archived