IGNORED

Team For Reading or Barnsley

Hampshire Red

When LJ was here and went on one of his losing streaks, you’d often hear the phrase “trusted players” and he would turn to the more experienced, battle hardened players who would work their socks off and try grind out a result. 

Holden on the other hand is stuck with a bunch of players who look like they can barely wait for the season to be over, and we still have 10-15 games to go! 

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

When LJ was here and went on one of his losing streaks, you’d often hear the phrase “trusted players” and he would turn to the more experienced, battle hardened players who would work their socks off and try grind out a result.

or in reality they actually didn’t, we lost again, and he’d have to go for another, different group of trusted players....until he stumbled on the right mix of trusted players, some of whom weren’t in either of the two trusted groups he initially turned to! ???

Holden on the other hand is stuck with a bunch of players who look like they can barely wait for the season to be over, and we still have 10-15 games to go! 

Its impossible to play without a leftback. Watford game: Moore and the Young player.To not get a lb in transferwindow says it all. Dont understand DH playing a kid, we got Nagy. Every team knows our weak point, attack on our left side. At the moment it doesnt care If we play Wells, Fam, Semenyo or whatever, we got No defence. Really worrying times. The board have made Holdens situation more than bad. No matter the name of our manager, If we dont have a defence on the left side, we are not a team.  Top six was the aim, just talking rubbish. The way of leading the Club shows something else.

On 14/02/2021 at 21:48, Swede said:

I'd go with

Bentley 

Hunt, Vyner, Kalas, Nagy

HNM, Williams, Bakinson, Lansbury

Palmer

Semenyo 

So,,,,

You want a 'non left back at left back...

Williams whom is injured..

And a lone striker whom has never,,after many attempts hit the net at this level and seemingly couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...

You should swap notes with @JonDolman

1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

Its impossible to play without a leftback. Watford game: Moore and the Young player.To not get a lb in transferwindow says it all. Dont understand DH playing a kid, we got Nagy. Every team knows our weak point, attack on our left side. At the moment it doesnt care If we play Wells, Fam, Semenyo or whatever, we got No defence. Really worrying times. The board have made Holdens situation more than bad. No matter the name of our manager, If we dont have a defence on the left side, we are not a team.  Top six was the aim, just talking rubbish. The way of leading the Club shows something else.

I'd go three at the back with Kalas on the left...

Vince Harper at LWB with Nagy inside of him as insurance...

Vince has the pace to stretch play.......

Patterson "in the hole".

Wells as the lone striker,,,actually playing central.

On 14/02/2021 at 22:20, cidercity1987 said:

They were in the relegation zone over halfway through the season. Johnson came in and moved us up the table into perennial midtable.

'That team pisses all over anything LJ mustered' might be a popular soundbite but is also totally incorrect.

I'd disagree. Had we bought in the right man to replace SC, I think we could have gone on to better things had we managed to keep the spine of that team and build on the team spirit SC managed to establish.

LJ came in with his own ego and point to prove and has built us a team of lightweight "flair" players with no team spirit and fight in them.In doing so, we lost that team chemistry. We have had all our leaders replaced, lost any of that team spirit and togetherness and replaced it with a squad of individuals.

A complete overhaul with a fresh manager is what we need. We need a man manager and motivator who can sell the players and build team chemistry, not a waffle spouter who buys a load of flair and expects this to cover for their tactical ineptitude! Someone who commands respect and can give the players some confidence that they are being managed by a leader and a winner who knows what they're talking about

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Bentley.

Vyner. Moore. Kalas.

Hunt. HNM. Lansbury. Nag.  Harper.

Patterson.

Wells.

I’d like to see Harper as that’s his position. What pathway does he have? We have 5 LBs out and then play a lad 2 years younger in his position despite never playing there before.

I hope you’re right but if I was Harper I’d be looking for an exit as if he can’t get a game in these circumstances then he never will. Hope I’m wrong.

14 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I hope you’re right but if I was Harper I’d be looking for an exit as if he can’t get a game in these circumstances then he never will. Hope I’m wrong

Hope your wrong too Shuffle...

Vince I believe is a very exciting prospect & would be shameful for him to have to move on for the chance to shine.

3 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

So,,,,

You want a 'non left back at left back...

Williams whom is injured..

And a lone striker whom has never,,after many attempts hit the net at this level and seemingly couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...

You should swap notes with @JonDolman

Thanks for the constructive reply.

I was thinking of getting some energy and experience in at left back rather than using a less mobile centre back on his wrong foot or leaving a youngster hung out to dry. I think Dave Fevs alluded to it a little while ago. We did it on occasions with Korey Smith at right back. 

Semenyo is the more mobile of the forwards available and I think offers more without the ball than his more expensive and experienced team mates.

I hope that helps you understand.

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Bentley 

Hunt

Taylor Moore 

Kalas

Towler 

Vyner 

Bakinson

Nagy 

Massengo 

Palmer

Semenyo

Or a derivative of how we finished vs Sheffield United. 

That back line is horrific. Reading do have Joao, Ejaria, Olise Who would tear us a new one. A loss today and holdens probably a goner. Seems bad but I actually want a change and I’m prepared take a couple losses for it to happen

I posted this on another BCFC chatroom. Here is my suggested formation:

I wouldn’t start Diedhiou at all. I’d give Palmer a chance to redeem himself and play him behind Wells as a ‘feeder’ a bit like he was with Afobe which worked really well.
So:

Bentley
             Hunt Vyner Kalas Mariappa
Paterson Nagy Bakinson
(or Massengo) Semenyo
                           Palmer
                            Wells

We know we are lightweight in centre midfield so we need to keep the ball out of there. No point in trying to go toe-to-toe with a stronger, more physical opposition in central Midfield. Paterson and Semenyo can do a job out wide, trying to cut in from the wings with Palmer feeding Wells from behind.
Wells hasn’t had the chance to do what he was good at at QPR because he’s been played too wide, where he has been largely ineffective. He needs to be central but Diedhiou isn’t a great partner for him because FD has no first touch.
If it’s not working and we need to go ‘direct’ then I’d bring Fammy on for Wells or Palmer with 15 or 20 mins to go and lump high balls forward for him to head, as a ‘plan B’. No point in playing the ball to his feet.

I might even start Massengo over Bakinson. Massengo isn’t my favourite player, but it looks like he’s been eating a few pies recently and is starting to be less of a lightweight - and he does run at the opposition sometimes.

Whatever formation and selection we choose we will be up against it.

55 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I posted this on another BCFC chatroom. Here is my suggested formation:

I wouldn’t start Diedhiou at all. I’d give Palmer a chance to redeem himself and play him behind Wells as a ‘feeder’ a bit like he was with Afobe which worked really well.
So:

Bentley
             Hunt Vyner Kalas Mariappa
Paterson Nagy Bakinson
(or Massengo) Semenyo
                           Palmer
                            Wells

We know we are lightweight in centre midfield so we need to keep the ball out of there. No point in trying to go toe-to-toe with a stronger, more physical opposition in central Midfield. Paterson and Semenyo can do a job out wide, trying to cut in from the wings with Palmer feeding Wells from behind.
Wells hasn’t had the chance to do what he was good at at QPR because he’s been played too wide, where he has been largely ineffective. He needs to be central but Diedhiou isn’t a great partner for him because FD has no first touch.
If it’s not working and we need to go ‘direct’ then I’d bring Fammy on for Wells or Palmer with 15 or 20 mins to go and lump high balls forward for him to head, as a ‘plan B’. No point in playing the ball to his feet.

I might even start Massengo over Bakinson. Massengo isn’t my favourite player, but it looks like he’s been eating a few pies recently and is starting to be less of a lightweight - and he does run at the opposition sometimes.

Whatever formation and selection we choose we will be up against it.

Had HNM over Bakinson but that would be my starting 11 too.

This thread once again demonstrates the problems facing Dean Holden. Nobody agrees on the best starting eleven, in fact there are loads of different starting elevens being suggested, there is no agreement on the best formation 5-4-1, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2 etc and there are a number of different 'solutions' to the Left back/left wing back problem.

Will be interesting to see what he does tonight.

43 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Wondered whether Kalas could do a makeshift job at LB until someone is fit, played RB at Fulham or Boro can't remember which, play Mariappa and Vyner at CB in a 4141

Vyner and Mariappa in the middle leave us without a natural first ball centre half. Reading have some big boys and we'd pay for it. Would be better playing Mariappa and Kalas in the middle and play Vyner who is quick and comfortable on the ball at left back.

Thinking about our lack of options on the left, It still absolutely baffles me, that in this day and age, and with the amount of analysis that goes into how youngsters should be coached etc, that more players aren't 2 footed. Or at least cable of using their weaker foot fairly well. It's such an advantage, and such an easy thing to improve on.

The amount of professional players that you see run around the ball just to try and get it on their "good foot", or try something awkward with the outside of their good foot is unbelievable.

On 14/02/2021 at 18:32, MelksRed said:

Holden : let's try Bents up front and Fam in goal......the fans won't notice.....they haven't done all the coaching quals we have...

Former England Coaches: you may be onto something their Deano

Ashton: is football the one where you pick it up and run with it??

Have you considered a career as a comedy writer?

43 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

This thread once again demonstrates the problems facing Dean Holden. Nobody agrees on the best starting eleven, in fact there are loads of different starting elevens being suggested, there is no agreement on the best formation 5-4-1, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2 etc and there are a number of different 'solutions' to the Left back/left wing back problem.

Will be interesting to see what he does tonight.

There should be no correlation between problems facing Dean Holden in team selection and OTIB posters suggesting their line-up.  In some cases posters are suggesting what they would do, who their favourite players are, second guessing injuries / fatigue, etc.

To think that because OTIB put up different teams, means Dean has a tough job is crazy.  We are all bound to have different opinions from different angles.

Our head-coach should have a plan, total insight into form, fitness etc.  He should have one team in mind.

For me, I think the "3-5-2" system forces us to play too much of the game in our half, and is a major factor of us being on the back foot.

I've said it time and time again but the wing-backs are integral to the system. They need to be part of the attack and when the ball is on the other side of the pitch, they need to tuck in, narrow the pitch and be that extra body/option. They also need to have bucket loads of energy and pace to get back and defend.

If they don't have the attributes AND the mentality, we end up forming a back 5, which IMO, has happened most of the time we've played it. We don't get bodies forward when we attack and then, when it is turned over, we have little chance of winning it back quickly. The back 5 drop and we invite them on. If we had JD/Pring and Sessegnon as our Wing Backs, I'd be all for it. 

With what we currently have, I'd like to see us play the 4-2-3-1. Gives us some stability, gives us numbers in midfield to try and control the game a bit more and hopefully gets the players playing closer to each other. 

38 minutes ago, Kibs said:

For me, I think the "3-5-2" system forces us to play too much of the game in our half, and is a major factor of us being on the back foot.

I've said it time and time again but the wing-backs are integral to the system. They need to be part of the attack and when the ball is on the other side of the pitch, they need to tuck in, narrow the pitch and be that extra body/option. They also need to have bucket loads of energy and pace to get back and defend.

If they don't have the attributes AND the mentality, we end up forming a back 5, which IMO, has happened most of the time we've played it. We don't get bodies forward when we attack and then, when it is turned over, we have little chance of winning it back quickly. The back 5 drop and we invite them on. If we had JD/Pring and Sessegnon as our Wing Backs, I'd be all for it. 

With what we currently have, I'd like to see us play the 4-2-3-1. Gives us some stability, gives us numbers in midfield to try and control the game a bit more and hopefully gets the players playing closer to each other. 

I’ve gone on record saying I like 352, but I’ve also said it’s a bastard to recruit to, and a bigger bastard to move away from.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve gone on record saying I like 352, but I’ve also said it’s a bastard to recruit to, and a bigger bastard to move away from.

It is, in my opinion, the root cause of all our issues. Holden in the summer, and to an extent LJ in the two windows prior, bought and sold with a clear 352 in mind. When that works its great, but as you say if a few pieces fall off then it leaves you with a squad that is ill-suited to many other formations. Dasilva has been a huge loss, he was clearly the forward-facing LWB that Holden hoped would cause problems for every opponent. Williams likewise in midfield. Then Weimann goes, again a huge loss, and Baker at CB. But if we'd recruited for a more flexible system, then those losses become more bearable.

It is difficult, because if you recruit more broadly then you can end up with too many options - see Eliasson last season. Many (not me personally) wanted him in the starting XI every week...but he didn't suit 352. However, for those games where we played 433 or 442 he generally slotted in well. Trouble is that won't keep an ambitious young man happy, and so he's sold.

That is the tough job that Holden has: building a squad that is balanced, flexible, yet at the same time tuned to one particular plan and effective in executing it. That is what he has failed to do, and from that all other problems stem.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

That is the tough job that Holden has: building a squad that is balanced, flexible, yet at the same time tuned to one particular plan and effective in executing it. That is what he has failed to do, and from that all other problems stem.

Blimey I'd be happy if we could pass forward and shoot every now and then.

Archived