IGNORED

Mark Ashton

shelts

Just now, shelts said:

I get he earns a few quid and is the owners lap dog . A football man with his credentials ?

You earn a few quid, you perform or get bombed out. That’s the world of the CEO. Can’t have one without the other. His recent appointments suggest that he is unable to run the football side of a football club to the standard that matches the stated ambitions of the Owner.

Whilst I think the ambitions of the Owner are pie in the sky currently he’s not performing and you don’t pay people £0.5m a year, above the going rate imo, to fail.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

You earn a few quid, you perform or get bombed out. That’s the world of the CEO. Can’t have one without the other. His recent appointments suggest that he is unable to run the football side of a football club to the standard that matches the stated ambitions of the Owner.

Whilst I think the ambitions of the Owner are pie in the sky currently he’s not performing and you don’t pay people £0.5m a year, above the going rate imo, to fail.

The owner has the final say , as he did with Cotts . You can’t get it right every time . I do feel Holden was a terrible appointment 

15 minutes ago, shelts said:

The owner has the final say , as he did with Cotts . You can’t get it right every time . I do feel Holden was a terrible appointment 

Yes, Steve has the final say BUT you don’t pay someone over £500,000 (think about that) per year to have to go over his head and make all the decisions yourself. This guy is supposed to be able to run a football club and @Davefevshas demonstrated that equivalent CEO’s are on either less money or pro rata less than this guy based on club turnover and many of us know that outside football he would be earning about £150k a year less to run a similar sized business. What is he bringing to the party to justify his wedge?

What’s your justification  for the appointment of Andy Rolls who has a proven and undeniable track record of leaving clubs absolutely decimated by injuries? He comes here and guess what? Is that Steve’s call too?

Its a fact of life that when you take the big cash you have to be held to a much higher standard of accountability than someone on an average wage. It’s obvious why that is the case.

Whilst the football club is Steve’s club, that has been made clear, there are tens of thousands of people who make a small cash investment annually together with a massive emotional investment and those people are entitled to question if people literally setting themselves up for life on the back of the club are doing the job expected of them. Take the money, deal with the flak. That’s life.

Sold our best players (some for good money granted) but not replaced them with same quality.

Signings all round have been poor and the squad is unbalanced in certain areas,

Not getting a LB in the last transfer window was a crime it was obvious Rowe was injured and possibly out for a while. 

Appointed Holden because he is a yes man. Turned down more experienced managers who obviously know more about managing a club than he or DH does

Appointed a Medical team and coaches that clearly do not work

Everything seems to be his way or no way

He goes into hiding when things turn nasty When season tickets are up for renewal he's all over us

If he cannot see the problems at the club at the moment he shouldn't be in the job but I'm afraid he will throw DH under the bus and will remain here  

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Yes, Steve has the final say BUT you don’t pay someone over £500,000 (think about that) per year to have to go over his head and make all the decisions yourself. This guy is supposed to be able to run a football club and @Davefevshas demonstrated that equivalent CEO’s are on either less money or pro rata less than this guy based on club turnover and many of us know that outside football he would be earning about £150k a year less to run a similar sized business. What is he bringing to the party to justify his wedge?

What’s your excuse for the appointment of Andy Rolls who has a proven and undeniable track record of leaving clubs absolutely decimated by injuries? He comes here and guess what?

Its a fact of life that when you take the big cash you have to be held to a much higher standard of accountability than someone on an average wage. It’s obvious why that is the case.

Whilst the football club is Steve’s club, that has been made clear, there are tens of thousands of people who make a small cash investment annually together with a massive emotional investment and those people are entitled to question if people literally setting themselves up for life on the back of the club are doing the job expected of them. Take the money, deal with the flak. That’s life.

Ok I get it . Financially to sack him would cost the club a few quid . He’s on over the average money for his position . Bad appointment so he goes as well as the manager ?

1 minute ago, westonred said:

Sold our best players (some for good money granted) but not replaced them with same quality.

Signings all round have been poor and the squad is unbalanced in certain areas,

Not getting a LB in the last transfer window was a crime it was obvious Rowe was injured and possibly out for a while. 

Appointed Holden because he is a yes man. Turned down more experienced managers who obviously know more about managing a club than he or DH does

Appointed a Medical team and coaches that clearly do not work

Everything seems to be his way or no way

He goes into hiding when things turn nasty When season tickets are up for renewal he's all over us

If he cannot see the problems at the club at the moment he shouldn't be in the job but I'm afraid he will throw DH under the bus and will remain here  

Selling our best players is club policy . Getting cheaper options and making them better is our only option as the club won’t pay top dollar . The manager not in charge of signings ?

Ee have something very wrong medically at the club 

I dont understand the hate myself either. He facilitates the running of the club, we aren't going bust anytime soon, he has negotiated good deals on players in and out of the club. I don't think he is a fault for the current situation. It always been clear that the manager has had the final say on recruitment on and off the pitch. 

I would take him over any of the names I have seen suggested on this forum.  

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

Ok I get it . Financially to sack him would cost the club a few quid . He’s on over the average money for his position . Bad appointment so he goes as well as the manager ?

Any CEO can get a managerial appointment wrong but when you ignore experience and appoint inexperience you are taking a massive gamble, whether it’s a Covid affected season or not. If everything else at the club was running smoothly it could be passed off as a gamble that didn’t work.

However, when you look at a shocking injury record overseen by someone appointed by the CEO with previous for shocking injury records and when you look at a recruitment policy that gets more bizarre and off kilter with previously stated club policy by the window then questions will be asked.

Sacked Cotts and broke up his double-winning team.

Assembled a failing recruitment team partially using his own business, with a family member heading it up and the best they can come up with is ageing journeymen.

Appointed his mates to head up the medical department, who’ve overseen our worst run of injuries — not just this year, last year too. 

Most importantly, IMO, he’s been proven to be completely full of shit. Keen to take credit when it’s going well, throws everyone under the bus when the wheels come falling off. 

I don’t care what he earns if he’s doing his job well, but he isn’t and is mugging SL blind IMO.

3 minutes ago, shelts said:

Selling our best players is club policy . Getting cheaper options and making them better is our only option as the club won’t pay top dollar . The manager not in charge of signings ?

Ee have something very wrong medically at the club 

Yes it is the clubs policy so when are we going to get Brownhills replacement ? And can you please tell me which cheaper options that we have made better ?

2 minutes ago, Furious Custard said:

I dont understand the hate myself either. He facilitates the running of the club, we aren't going bust anytime soon, he has negotiated good deals on players in and out of the club. I don't think he is a fault for the current situation. It always been clear that the manager has had the final say on recruitment on and off the pitch. 

I would take him over any of the names I have seen suggested on this forum.  

He’s a great negotiator, nobody is questioning that. What do you think about his football appointments, Dean Holden, Keith Downing, Paul Simpson and Andy Rolls?

Do you enjoy watching us play? Are we meeting the stated albeit pie in the sky aims of Top 6? Do you enjoy reading about player after player being out for literally months on end? Do you think it was good for the club that we have a player moaning to the press about poor rehabilitation protocols?

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Any CEO can get a managerial appointment wrong but when you ignore experience and appoint inexperience you are taking a massive gamble, whether it’s a Covid affected season or not. If everything else at the club was running smoothly it could be passed off as a gamble that didn’t work.

However, when you look at a shocking injury record overseen by someone appointed by the CEO with previous for shocking injury records and when you look at a recruitment policy that gets more bizarre and off kilter with previously stated club policy by the window then questions will be asked.

I suppose the owner thinks he’s doing a decent job . Fans disagree 

3 minutes ago, tin said:

Sacked Cotts and broke up his double-winning team.

Assembled a failing recruitment team partially using his own business, with a family member heading it up and the best they can come up with is ageing journeymen.

Appointed his mates to head up the medical department, who’ve overseen our worst run of injuries — not just this year, last year too. 

Most importantly, IMO, he’s been proven to be completely full of shit. Keen to take credit when it’s going well, throws everyone under the bus when the wheels come falling off. 

I don’t care what he earns if he’s doing his job well, but he isn’t and is mugging SL blind IMO.

The last sentence sums it up. If he was doing the business and earning £3m a year very few would bat an eyelid.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Regards the Holden appointment, and indeed LJ before him, Ashton's role is simply to be Steve Lansdown's henchman carrying out his dirty work. 

So what is SL worried about surely appointing someone with football knowledge who can take this club forward is the aim

Archived