IGNORED

Mark Ashton

shelts

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He’d not met Downing before.  Simpson was his manager when he played at Shrewsbury. Simpson did say in one interview that he got a call from Dean about coming onboard.

What we don’t know and will ever know whether the initial approach was with Ashton, e.g. Are you interested?  Ok, I’ll get Dean to have a hat with you.

The more you go back over it and what was said and the timings - Holden must have known the job was his well before the weekend where he ‘thought it over’ for the coaches to be approached and discussions etc

Almost as if the three came as a package and once it was assembled - Announcement

So was this

a) Dean offered job a lot earlier and then asked who he wanted as backroom

or

b) Offered the job but told that we were had provisionally lined up  ‘Two England Coaches’ to work with him - - the job offer conditional to agreement to that 

If so whose master plan ?

Would Love to know 

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

The more you go back over it and what was said and the timings - Holden must have known the job was his well before the weekend where he ‘thought it over’ for the coaches to be approached and discussions etc

Almost as if the three came as a package and once it was assembled - Announcement

So was this

or

b) Offered the job but told that we were had provisionally lined up  ‘Two England Coaches’ to work with him - - the job offer conditional to agreement to that 

Would Love to know 

Me too.

Ill always correct people who say Dean didn’t know them, when he worked for one....but deep down I’ll never be sure who initiated the call to “Simmo” (???).

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Me too.

Ill always correct people who say Dean didn’t know them, when he worked for one....but deep down I’ll never be sure who initiated the call to “Simmo” (???).

See I’m not sold on his ex Manager as a big connection - seems an obvious one but Holden will know and have worked with under lots of coaches 

No obvious direct link to Downing

The more obvious connection would be through FA Courses (They May also have taken sessions in their FA roles whilst he was doing his badges)

Maybe he asked Simmo who said

‘Can I bring a mate’ !

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

So was this

or

Would Love to know 

I'd have thought a prospective manager when in final interviews would have had to suggest to the interviewers who they'd want to bring in as back room staff, so Holden would have had to suggest his preferred assistant(s), could be he sounded out Simpson when being interviewed originally, Simpson tells Holden that Downing will be leaving the FA soon as well and decides to suggest bringing him in as well. The weekend Holden 'had to think about it' Ashton spends talking to Simpson and Downing about them coming in, Dean says yes and trigger gets pulled on everything.

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I'd have thought a prospective manager when in final interviews would have had to suggest to the interviewers who they'd want to bring in as back room staff, so Holden would have had to suggest his preferred assistant(s), could be he sounded out Simpson when being interviewed originally, Simpson tells Holden that Downing will be leaving the FA soon as well and decides to suggest bringing him in as well. The weekend Holden 'had to think about it' Ashton spends talking to Simpson and Downing about them coming in, Dean says yes and trigger gets pulled on everything.

Possibly Lrrrr - We will never know

I think If Holden goes all three will go , don’t you ?

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Possibly not immediately as we will need coaching staff , but I  think they will be gone not long after

You think one of them would get the job ?

I hope and wonder listening to SL tonight whether even he’s p*****d off with giving people ‘chances’

Depends if they have someone lined up....or take 6 weeks! ??‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Possibly not immediately as we will need coaching staff , but I  think they will be gone not long after

You think one of them would get the job ?

I hope and wonder listening to SL tonight whether even he’s p*****d off with giving people ‘chances’

Would you honestly back against it?

We all know who should have had his last chance. Yet he publicly fawned over him tonight.

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Who appointed Ashton ?

Exactly.

Ashton is indeed a problem here. But who was it that appointed him, and staunchly defended him just a few hours ago? There is a bigger problem then Ashton. The man completely blind to the problem the club has. 

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Exactly.

Ashton is indeed a problem here. But who was it that appointed him, and staunchly defended him just a few hours ago? There is a bigger problem then Ashton. The man completely blind to the problem the club has. 

Because he looks after the business interests well.

That is all a billionaire will care about ultimately, and Ashton knows it.

6 hours ago, Superjack said:

Because he looks after the business interests well.

That is all a billionaire will care about ultimately, and Ashton knows it.

To be fair (in a way) to SL, that was not the message I took from his interview. He actually said something quite revealing that I've never heard him make so obvious before.

I've always felt SL is in MA's spell and have said as much on here recently, I expect that the salesman in MA is very forward to SLs quietly spoken, introverted accountant.

But last night in his impassioned defence of MA, within only a few words of an explanation, he was alluding to his role on the EFL board and protecting us in the hierarchy.

Now this is both revealing and really believable (and not only because SL had resorted to it as almost his first example of anything MA has done for us besides work hard).

I've worked with salesman who have been absolute ***** but wear their "network" (rolodex for the old school) as a defence mechanism - "I know everyone, you need me."

I'm sure MA is spinning his role at the EFL for all its worth (for all we know the board members role is just to get there early and put out the chairs, and print the agenda).

The message was clear to me that SL believes MA representing us at the EFL is protecting us or positioning us. SL has always been quite outspoken about football's rules.

I can't think of a more obvious explanation for the increasing salary and unquestioning loyalty. SL craves influence, in a weird way I think it's why he signed David James too.

It's up for debate if gossip MA relays from EFL meetings about what he's doing is real, but salesmen always massively oversell their boss on the value of their conference trips.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

To be fair (in a way) to SL, that was not the message I took from his interview. He actually said something quite revealing that I've never heard him make so obvious before.

I've always felt SL is in MA's spell and have said as much on here recently, I expect that the salesman in MA is very forward to SLs quietly spoken, introverted accountant.

But last night in his impassioned defence of MA, within only a few words of an explanation, he was alluding to his role on the EFL board and protecting us in the hierarchy.

Now this is both revealing and really believable (and not only because SL had resorted to it as almost his first example of anything MA has done for us besides work hard).

I've worked with salesman who have been absolute ***** but wear their "network" (rolodex for the old school) as a defence mechanism - "I know everyone, you need me."

I'm sure MA is spinning his role at the EFL for all its worth (for all we know the board members role is just to get there early and put out the chairs, and print the agenda).

The message was clear to me that SL believes MA representing us at the EFL is protecting us or positioning us. SL has always been quite outspoken about football's rules.

I can't think of a more obvious explanation for the increasing salary and unquestioning loyalty. SL craves influence, in a weird way I think it's why he signed David James too.

It's up for debate if gossip MA relays from EFL meetings about what he's doing is real, but salesmen always massively oversell their boss on the value of their conference trips.

SL's defence of MA was revealing in that it wasn't very convincing. "Works hard" and "defends us at EFL meetings" is not exactly a ringing endorsement, given the first point should be a bare minimum when earning £500k and the second point is pretty ambiguous and actually has little to do with his day to day role at Ashton Gate. 

Importantly there was no impassioned defence of recruitment policy, in fact it was barely mentioned. But there was mention of both MA and SL himself needing to look at themselves and their decisions over the past 12 months. 

That may well be lip service, but here's hoping not and SL is asking serious questions of MA's recruitment. As an accountant SL will be looking at the current squad "value" and must surely be more than a little concerned. 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Agreed this was one of the key takeaways from last night.

If SL wants Ashton to stay and do more of that side of things, that’s fine by me, but he HAS to realise he needs to step MA away from recruitment.

There was a sense, perhaps only a little, that he knew recruitment hasn’t been good enough.

Does SL have the balls to change his role though?

EDIT - Kid just beat me to it

A couple of points I picked up in the latest Post article.

1. Mark Ashton suggested three LB solutions across the January transfer window but that the Bristol City board decided to not pursue another signing.

2. Jon Lansdown is currently overseas in the Caribbean currently, pursuing personal interests.

Based on this, I’m not sure that getting rid of MA is going to cure all our ills...

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-lansdown-speaks-out-pressure-5007850

@Davefevs @Mr Popodopolous - can I ask you a favour from your research please?

1) Do you have to hand fairly easily our wage bill increases over the last 4/5 seasons?

2) Do the accounts list how much we've paid to agents over the last 4/5 seasons?

Don't worry if you don't have it that info - I can look it up but thought that i'd try and shortcut it by asking you, as the founts of knowledge. Thank you!

2 hours ago, HitchinRed said:

A couple of points I picked up in the latest Post article.

1. Mark Ashton suggested three LB solutions across the January transfer window but that the Bristol City board decided to not pursue another signing.

2. Jon Lansdown is currently overseas in the Caribbean currently, pursuing personal interests.

Based on this, I’m not sure that getting rid of MA is going to cure all our ills...

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-lansdown-speaks-out-pressure-5007850

Exactly the two points that struck me. At times like this, it’s all politics, self- serving briefing v counter- briefing, but I think MA deserves a hearing on this. Personally I find it extraordinary that JL should be in the Caribbean at all at a time like this, but for our supremo to be pursuing ‘private projects’ is really not a good look. 

5 hours ago, Olé said:

Really interesting take. Thanks

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

SL's defence of MA was revealing in that it wasn't very convincing. "Works hard" and "defends us at EFL meetings" is not exactly a ringing endorsement, given the first point should be a bare minimum when earning £500k and the second point is pretty ambiguous and actually has little to do with his day to day role at Ashton Gate. 

Importantly there was no impassioned defence of recruitment policy, in fact it was barely mentioned. But there was mention of both MA and SL himself needing to look at themselves and their decisions over the past 12 months. 

That may well be lip service, but here's hoping not and SL is asking serious questions of MA's recruitment. As an accountant SL will be looking at the current squad "value" and must surely be more than a little concerned. 

Agree, not a great defence of him was it?

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Agreed this was one of the key takeaways from last night.

If SL wants Ashton to stay and do more of that side of things, that’s fine by me, but he HAS to realise he needs to step MA away from recruitment.

There was a sense, perhaps only a little, that he knew recruitment hasn’t been good enough.

Does SL have the balls to change his role though?

EDIT - Kid just beat me to it

Yes, recruitment glossed over

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

@Davefevs @Mr Popodopolous - can I ask you a favour from your research please?

1) Do you have to hand fairly easily our wage bill increases over the last 4/5 seasons?

2) Do the accounts list how much we've paid to agents over the last 4/5 seasons?

Don't worry if you don't have it that info - I can look it up but thought that i'd try and shortcut it by asking you, as the founts of knowledge. Thank you!

Here’s Bristol City Holdings (BCFC and AG) and BCFC separately.

F9892564-BC02-4BFE-B74C-881FF435D169.thumb.jpeg.8aad2ba8152314769c9969976b4f9e8a.jpeg

I have no data on Agent fees.

Quite noticeable through disproportionate increases of costs to revenue.

Archived