IGNORED

Next 4 games

harvey54

I said on another topic, I looked at the next 5 games & I think there’s a distinct chance we will come away with 0 points. If that happens, we will be in a relegation battle. At this moment in time, I don’t think we will get relegated, but if after 5 games we collect 0 points, I will be worried. I would be happy with 3 points from the next 5 games & that is a sad state of affairs. But this is the Championship, maybe we will win the next 5! COYR 

The only game I think we may get a point is Middlesbrough away I think Reading will comfortably beat us lucas joao will be to much for us Barnsley are the most improved team and full of energy, Swansea will walk all over us they won't hammer us but it will be a comfortable 2 or 3 nil win hope I'm wrong but worrying times ahead 

Depends if the 3 stooges are still in place tomorrow. If they are, and we get a beating at the hands of Reading, by 3 goals plus, then they won't be together for the Barnsley game. Especially being at home, I don't see how they could leave them in place.

I'm hoping for some sort of news today, possibly whilst the players are at the training ground, but not holding my breath. I'd even take Simpson and Downing as caretakers for the time being, least then we would see what, if any effect they are having on this squad, although I expect that very little would change.

Playing the way we have been, and on the back of that thumping, I don't see us getting anything more than 2 points from that run, and that's if we're lucky. Maybe Middlesbrough and Barnsley if they leave their strikers behind.....

Won’t make any difference who is in charge, we have too many injuries to key players, and what we are left with is not up to Championship standard as a unit. With a few exceptions, what we have left are squad players and youngsters, low in confidence, and a very weak midfield. With no left back, and Mawson out, we can’t even put together a reasonably solid back 5.

Any other club in the league would have pulled the trigger on Saturday night, but to be honest no other team in the league would have appointed Dean full stop so im not really sure what point I’m trying to make - we are uniquely clueless in that sense.

The next 5 games look horrific, after that drubbing on the weekend i really don’t see how Dean gets them back from that. 

Interesting few games coming up. If we play like we have been then zero points or maybe scrap a draw or two. But I would think SL and his dedicated team are seeking the next manager now so that there is no gap or caretaker situ when they decide DH has thrown his last marble. 

Do feel sorry for DH, bad time and luck in his first go at manager position what with covid and injurys. But results not there and we look a pretty disorganised bunch on the pitch at mo. 

I wrote out a whole thread along these lines yesterday, then thought ah bollox, I just can't be bothered. It's got to that place for me. You just wait for the club to trundle on until there is no option. We are seemingly Leaderless, with no real plan.

Part of the point I wrote out was, this month will be massive one way or another. Doesn't look to be many points around for us and the current form table speaks volumes.

843131503_Screenshot2021-02-14at21_30_42.png.95174a5c62e89cf3148d7029ceef1b9d.png

another thing. A great, if frightening post from Rob Fernades, highlights just how shot shy we are.

1787968318_Screenshot2021-02-14at21_28_53.png.72ff61e625d112f665d753e943b2bbd3.png

Rotherham are 10 points behind us, with 2 games in hand, they've won 3 of the last 5. I hope the board aren't fooling themselves, we are looking over our shoulder NOW ! 

947488571_Screenshot2021-02-15at08_48_20.png.d131fb32915092a7e9b8e7185d095a71.png

Forget injuries as an excuse, forget lack of quality players. We have, a good enough team as it is to easily be in the top half. From what I see the players are not playing for the manager, the dressing room must be like a morgue. You can see it written all over their faces. Several really don't want to be playing for us, as the goals went in on Saturday there was only a a sense of them being resigned to their fate. If the team spirit was healthy they would have given their all to support Tower. 

It's a breakdown between players and management and there can only be one outcome - the only crucial factor left is timing. 

19 minutes ago, bris red said:

Any other club in the league would have pulled the trigger on Saturday night, but to be honest no other team in the league would have appointed Dean full stop so im not really sure what point I’m trying to make - we are uniquely clueless in that sense.

The next 5 games look horrific, after that drubbing on the weekend i really don’t see how Dean gets them back from that. 

I didn’t like Johnson much, and as I’ve mentioned plenty of times his time here was up long before he finally got the sack. 

But often after a really poor performance he turned to players he could ‘trust’. It didn’t always work, in fact it rarely did towards the end but we must’ve heard him say that on about 10 occasions over the years! 

I think Holden needs to do similar for the next few. Players who are going to put a shift in.

I think Vyner would be our best bet as a left back at the moment. He’s not going to get done as easily on the turn as Mariappa was. 

For the first couple I’d probably go 

Hunt, Mariappa, Kalas, Vyner

Bakinson

Semenyo, Nagy, Massengo, Paterson

Then it’s either Wells or Diedhiou.

I think Wells would be a better option at the moment with Fams recent form. 

25 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Won’t make any difference who is in charge, we have too many injuries to key players, and what we are left with is not up to Championship standard as a unit. With a few exceptions, what we have left are squad players and youngsters, low in confidence, and a very weak midfield. With no left back, and Mawson out, we can’t even put together a reasonably solid back 5.

Bentley, Hunt, Kalas, Nagy, Mariappa, Wells,  Famara, Patterson, Lansbury, Palmer, Massengo all should be Championship standard IMO.  Even with the injuries there’s enough quality in there to be much more consistent than we are.  3 from Wells, Patterson, Palmer, Semenyo and Fam isn’t a bad attacking line up but for some reason they look toothless.  Blame stops with the manager, coaches and physio department for me.  And if Holden isn’t up to the task blame stops with Ashton and Landsdown junior and senior for their clueless recruitment 

1 hour ago, Robin Wood said:

The only game I think we may get a point is Middlesbrough away I think Reading will comfortably beat us lucas joao will be to much for us Barnsley are the most improved team and full of energy, Swansea will walk all over us they won't hammer us but it will be a comfortable 2 or 3 nil win hope I'm wrong but worrying times ahead 

Cant argue with this worrying times .

My guess is that SL, JL and MA have realised that they are probably going to have to act and fire Dean, but are prepared to let the next 3 matches/ 7 days play out. 3 poor results and the decision makes itself, with more political cover for the inevitable. 3 decent ish results removes some of the pressure and justifies, at least in the short to medium term, a continuation of the ‘fair crack of the whip’ policy. Classic business ‘ kick the can and see if circumstances make the decision for you’ approach. Problem is that this style of management is rarely associated with successful business.

Including the Sheffield Utd match we’re looking at at least 10 straight defeats imo.
Dread to think where we’ll be in a few weeks time looking at those fixtures because the possibility of being 3/4 points off the bottom 3 with 10 games to go doesn’t exactly fill me with joy.

9 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

My guess is that SL, JL and MA have realised that they are probably going to have to act and fire Dean, but are prepared to let the next 3 matches/ 7 days play out. 3 poor results and the decision makes itself, with more political cover for the inevitable.

I’m convinced that had he been in the job longer than 12 months LJ would’ve got the boot during his 9 game losing streak in 16/17. 
I think Holden will keep his job no matter what, because to fire him now will be like saying “after everything we said...we got it wrong”.

Easier to blame injury’s for poor results.

5 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’m convinced that had he been in the job longer than 12 months LJ would’ve got the boot during his 9 game losing streak in 16/17. 
I think Holden will keep his job no matter what, because to fire him now will be like saying “after everything we said...we got it wrong”.

Easier to blame injury’s for poor results.

That's why I believe he'll be going nowhere. I don't think the word "contrite" is in SL or MA's dictionary.

5 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I think Holden will keep his job no matter what, 

If he’s as good a bloke as everyone says, he will walk in this morning and say ‘Gave it my best shot, I’ve looked in the mirror, I love this club, I’m not the right man, I’m off back to the frozen North, See you.’

13 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

If he’s as good a bloke as everyone says, he will walk in this morning and say ‘Gave it my best shot, I’ve looked in the mirror, I love this club, I’m not the right man, I’m off back to the frozen North, See you.’

Not sure what the personal financial implications of that would be for Holden?

Good bloke or not I’m sure he loves his family more than Bristol City FC.

26 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Speaking of finances...

’Big Ron Manager’, a fly on the wall Sky TV Documentary/experiment from 15/16 years ago. Ron Atkinson was tasked with helping out rookie Peterborough manager Steve Bleasdale who, after being promoted from Coach to Manager despite no previous experience, started well then lost the plot.

Bleasdale resigned in rash fashion before a crucial game in front the Sky cameras in the dressing room. The same cameras were there on the Monday morning when he was back, cap in hand, begging Barry Fry for a job as he realised he made a massive mistake and needed the money.

Dean Holden was the captain of Peterborough Utd at the time and appeared in the programme.

Not sure I’d fall on my sword either...

4 hours ago, General Zod said:

Bentley, Hunt, Kalas, Nagy, Mariappa, Wells,  Famara, Patterson, Lansbury, Palmer, Massengo all should be Championship standard IMO.  Even with the injuries there’s enough quality in there to be much more consistent than we are.  3 from Wells, Patterson, Palmer, Semenyo and Fam isn’t a bad attacking line up but for some reason they look toothless.  Blame stops with the manager, coaches and physio department for me.  And if Holden isn’t up to the task blame stops with Ashton and Landsdown junior and senior for their clueless recruitment 

Bare minimum Championship standard at best in some cases. Massengo is a kid, still learning. Palmer and Nagy have been with us for 18 months, and not really shone, Pato doesn’t look fit and is a confidence player. Regardless of qualities, in midfield where is the bite when we don’t have the ball? Where is the leadership? Where is the physical presence? These issues were very evident last year, hence recruiting Brunt & Williams. 
Also, where are the goals coming from? Not exactly a free scoring midfield.

2 hours ago, Mr Chappers said:

Bare minimum Championship standard at best in some cases. Massengo is a kid, still learning. Palmer and Nagy have been with us for 18 months, and not really shone, Pato doesn’t look fit and is a confidence player. Regardless of qualities, in midfield where is the bite when we don’t have the ball? Where is the leadership? Where is the physical presence? These issues were very evident last year, hence recruiting Brunt & Williams. 
Also, where are the goals coming from? Not exactly a free scoring midfield.

Joe Williams and Henri Lansbury are supposed to be the midfield grit. Let’s see what we get from them two (my expectations are low).

Goals? Forget goals, let’s keep a couple of clean sheets for now and see what happens.

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

Joe Williams and Henri Lansbury are supposed to be the midfield grit. Let’s see what we get from them two (my expectations are low).

Goals? Forget goals, let’s keep a couple of clean sheets for now and see what happens.

Joe Williams is who we need, but looks like he will be out for a while longer. Not sure on Lansbury, hard to assess, especially as not really match fit. As for the clean sheets, that’s my plan, 8/9 behind the ball and hope for a few set pieces! Equalling your low expectations ?

Archived