IGNORED

Ashton Vs Holden ...are they linked ?

The Humble Realist

I have been critical of Ashton and cant stand him to be honest. 

It may be his fault we have Holden as manager but is it actually his fault that we have lost 9 in 12?

Should Holden have got more out of the depleted squad he has had?

On a separate note, why has so much focus now turned to Ashton? I dont think the injuries have helped given his wider role.of 'overseeing all football activity ' and inetivablty the controversial appointment of Holden which he is now having to take flak for. Can ashton recover or is his card marked forever more? Can he survive if holden doesnt ?

It would be interesting to see how things might be different if fans were in the ground . If performances were the same I think it would be awful, however I also somehow think the performances wouldn't have been the same ! 

Something needs to change for sure. 

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

It may be his fault we have Holden as manager but is it actually his fault that we have lost 9 in 12?

On a separate note, why has so much focus now turned to Ashton? I dont think the injuries have helped given his wider role.of 'overseeing all football activity ' and inetivablty the controversial appointment of Holden which he is now having to take flak for. Can ashton recover or is his card marked forever more? Can he survive if holden doesnt ?

It would be interesting to see how things might be different if fans were in the ground . If performances were the same I think it would be awful, however I also somehow think the performances wouldn't have been the same ! 

For me, and I think many city fans, you can’t come out making statements (paraphrased) stating that DH is ‘the man to take us to the next level’ or ‘the best man for the job’ and then serve up the utter detritus they’re calling football currently. Especially when we had the likes of Hughton, Cook etc shortlisted for the vacant managerial post. 

That’s the crux of the issue - DH is clearly the wrong man for the job, but MA would have you believe we’ve just appointed the next Guardiola. 

Utter tosh.

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

I don't think Ashton is necessarily to blame for the results but he is to blame for what he does about it. It's been clear for a while that we have too many injuries to attribute to bad luck, our transfer policy over recent seasons shows no sign of turning up Brownhill or Webster-type gems, we are floundering on the pitch and our inexperienced manager cannot turn it around and we are being badly exposed by not signing a left back in the transfer window.

There is some debate as to the extent to which Ashton has been directly responsible for those things but ultimately he is the one with oversight. And either he makes the decisions to address those problems or else he is part of the problem. 

Both are equally culpable for me . Holden’s  alleged training regime could well be the root cause of the massive injury list that we have coupled with Ashton’s recruitment of the medical team . Add to this , Ashton seemingly panicking and bringing in last minute signings like Mawson (& previously Afobe) that have a history of injury plus the Dad’s Army of Brunt, Martin Etc , you have a pretty horrendous combination ! 

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

Both are equally culpable for me . Holden’s  alleged training regime could well be the root cause of the massive injury list that we have coupled with Ashton’s recruitment of the medical team . Add to this , Ashton seemingly panicking and bringing in last minute signings like Mawson (& previously Afobe) that have a history of injury plus the Dad’s Army of Brunt, Martin Etc , you have a pretty horrendous combination ! 

Do you know, I was thinking this today.

There is little doubt that injuries stalk Andy Rolls like a spurned mistress, but even he’s never been quite as affected by injuries at prior clubs. What’s been hugely noticeable is when players are “back on the grass” and have setbacks, and the number of training injuries.

We know Holden wanted the side to be the fittest in the league. We can also see that he’s a bit of a meat and potatoes coach as opposed to a tactical one, and those tend to be from the working people hard school.

We also have the recent evidence of Joe Williams - that pick being totally with Holden.

So, I’m beginning to think that Deans unluckiness with injuries is of his own making in part. He’s the guy that has the final say on how we train and who plays, and it strikes me that he just overworks people, or tries to push them too hard too soon. The fact is that most of our injuries aren’t impact ones, and we have history of playing people recently even once injured (Brunt, Rowe, Weimann)...

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ashton and our invisible Chairman took an age to appoint Holden and it looks as if poor Deano isn’t up to the job and that reflects badly on the pair of them - both have egg on their faces.

Because they’ve got it so wrong Ashton won’t ask SL to sack him.

Steve Lansdown has had enough of Jon's cock ups, he's going to sack him and appoint Lee Johnson as his son instead.

56 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ashton and our invisible Chairman took an age to appoint Holden and it looks as if poor Deano isn’t up to the job and that reflects badly on the pair of them - both have egg on their faces.

Because they’ve got it so wrong Ashton won’t ask SL to sack him.

I think you are right.

I said back in the summer this appointment was a big risk / big reward for Ashton.  It’s turned into a big risk, inside 6/7 months.

What happens next will be interesting to watch (unlike on the pitch).

Generally when you fail as a GM with two coaching appointments in a row you get fired.

I actually think Ashton does well with transfer negotiations (numbers) and league/business stuff. What he isn't good at is actual football related work.

If we hired an GM in charge of transfers and hiring the head coach and left Ashton to the CEO stuff we'd be much better off IMO.

3 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Generally when you fail as a GM with two coaching appointments in a row you get fired.

I actually think Ashton does well with transfer negotiations (numbers) and league/business stuff. What he isn't good at is actual football related work.

If we hired an GM in charge of transfers and hiring the head coach and left Ashton to the CEO stuff we'd be much better off IMO.

Don’t you go introducing new acronyms like GM!! ???

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

For me, and I think many city fans, you can’t come out making statements (paraphrased) stating that DH is ‘the man to take us to the next level’ or ‘the best man for the job’ and then serve up the utter detritus they’re calling football currently. Especially when we had the likes of Hughton, Cook etc shortlisted for the vacant managerial post. 

That’s the crux of the issue - DH is clearly the wrong man for the job, but MA would have you believe we’ve just appointed the next Guardiola. 

Utter tosh.

BUT...........He's an excellent human ?

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Do you know, I was thinking this today.

There is little doubt that injuries stalk Andy Rolls like a spurned mistress, but even he’s never been quite as affected by injuries at prior clubs. What’s been hugely noticeable is when players are “back on the grass” and have setbacks, and the number of training injuries.

We know Holden wanted the side to be the fittest in the league. We can also see that he’s a bit of a meat and potatoes coach as opposed to a tactical one, and those tend to be from the working people hard school.

We also have the recent evidence of Joe Williams - that pick being totally with Holden.

So, I’m beginning to think that Deans unluckiness with injuries is of his own making in part. He’s the guy that has the final say on how we train and who plays, and it strikes me that he just overworks people, or tries to push them too hard too soon. The fact is that most of our injuries aren’t impact ones, and we have history of playing people recently even once injured (Brunt, Rowe, Weimann)...

But the job of the fitness department is to go through the training plans (they don't just turn up and do what they feel like on a Monday) and say "hang on Dean, this is mental what you are asking players to do here given the match schedule" if they feel that is necessary. Ignorance or silence is no defence. Holden is not in a position where he can ignore that advice and if he was ignoring it everybody in Bristol would know about it by know, that's an absolute cast iron guarantee.

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't think Ashton is necessarily to blame for the results but he is to blame for what he does about it. It's been clear for a while that we have too many injuries to attribute to bad luck, our transfer policy over recent seasons shows no sign of turning up Brownhill or Webster-type gems, we are floundering on the pitch and our inexperienced manager cannot turn it around and we are being badly exposed by not signing a left back in the transfer window.

There is some debate as to the extent to which Ashton has been directly responsible for those things but ultimately he is the one with oversight. And either he makes the decisions to address those problems or else he is part of the problem. 

Aside from those who pre-dated Ashton’s arrival at the club, the only really “big money sale” players that we have had we’re not identified by him and his “team” anyway. LJ had Brownhill on loan at Barnsley before he started with us, while Webster was a recommendation from Coke Skuse to LJ (confirmed by Cole’s uncle at the beginning of Webster’s season with us).

And of the players that we have with us now, there aren’t many where we are going to see the money back on our transfer fee outlay, with the possible exception of Bentley.

So has recruitment under MA been a success? No - neither players nor managers. On that basis his post and role needs to be reviewed, while at the very least he needs to be removed from all footballing matters.

9 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

I've not posted much this season due to my blood still boiling from the symbolic dealings during the summer with CH. We will never know the truth but I'd put money on MA moving the goal posts or why get him back for 2nd interview and string it out for another 4 weeks absolute joke. CH would of been fully aware of are process and how we work as a club so if he didn't think he'd have control over signings he wouldn't have bothered it stinks of MA not having full control and he didn't like it hence DH and the two amigo's. MA track record is all about his profile and flooding teams with aging names with horrendous injury issues and that's fact naming just a few,

Marley Watkins, JD, TK, NB, BA, JW, the list goes on, not to mention the medical staff which are his. 

I also question the sales of our star players JB, BR, AF, LK, JB, NE, none of which have been close to replaced. So say sold for sustainability? why when we have a billionaire owner who clears dept year on year or was it players questioning the club's ambition like I have the last few year's and rightly so. We are absolutely miles off a top 6 team let alone getting close to the premier league. It hurts to say it but I have had enough of being fed MA bull and will not spend another penny at AG till the club shows ambition with a proven manager and the funding on the pitch to prove it. I will always be BCFC but won't be lead up the garden path anymore of false hope. 

ASHTON OUT ONCE YOU CHUCK DEAN UNDER THE BUS YOU CROOK!!

Archived