IGNORED

Holden Facing The Press This Afternoon

Silvio Dante

As just confirmed by GMcG, Holden is fronting the normal pre-match press call this afternoon. However, no players are joining him (unusually) as the club have chosen not to put any up.

So, he’s clearly here for tomorrow nights game. But is the lack of a player..

a) Disrespectful to the fans

b) Holden positioning it as him taking the flak 

c) Due to a fear that the player may not toe the party line

d) All of the above

Mainly B with a touch for C me. It would be unfair to have a player face the press today and have him answer difficult questions about Saturday / recent results. A lot of the problems are beyond the remit of an individual player so, apart from giving bland answers, what could he say?

a & b

Kalas should man up and speak for all the players and say the level of performance on Saturday was below the standards they set themselves as professionals. But he won't as I think he is a bit of a wuse at times like this. Should have offered to play left side of Taylor Moore on Saturday rather than leave him to shield Towler.

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As just confirmed by GMcG, Holden is fronting the normal pre-match press call this afternoon. However, no players are joining him (unusually) as the club have chosen not to put any up.

d) All of the above

Or possibly none of the above.  Simply the head coach carrying the can, and quite right too.

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

d) All of the above

e) all the players are getting their cars washed and detailed....

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

So, he’s clearly here for tomorrow nights game

FFS if ever there was a case of 'fiddling whilst Rome burns' this is it. We are in real danger of being relegated if we carry on with the current regime and it seems SL just does not want to accept that the appointments made were a big mistake

Whilst I dearly want us to win, perhaps if Reading put 6 past us too it will finally force SL to act!

For anyone unable to listen to Dean's press conference later - here's his script:

Saturday was unacceptable, the players know that, we've had a discussion they've held their hands up. They're an honest group and they're desperate to put it right for the supporters. We haven't singled anyone out - we win as a team and lose as a team and that includes me. I'm learning, every day I look at myself and ask myself if I could have done better.

That result has gone now, we can't erase it from the history books all we can do is stick together as a group, work as hard as we possibly can and move on.  Tuesday can't come soon enough for me and the players. We owe the supporters a performance and we'll do everything to achieve that. We'll come out fighting, we've had a punch on the nose and been knocked down but it's how we get back up and respond that matters now. I've been a fighter all my life and I expect the same from my players. We'll give everything on Tuesday, come out fighting, look to get on the front foot and play attacking football. It's what the fans want - it's what I want.

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

For anyone unable to listen to Dean's press conference later - here's his script:

Saturday was unacceptable, the players know that, we've had a discussion they've held their hands up. They're an honest group and they're desperate to put it right for the supporters. We haven't singled anyone out - we win as a team and lose as a team and that includes me. I'm learning, every day I look at myself and ask myself if I could have done better.

That result has gone now, we can't erase it from the history books all we can do is stick together as a group, work as hard as we possibly can and move on.  Tuesday can't come soon enough for me and the players. We owe the supporters a performance and we'll do everything to achieve that. We'll come out fighting, we've had a punch on the nose and been knocked down but it's how we get back up and respond that matters now. I've been a fighter all my life and I expect the same from my players. We'll give everything on Tuesday, come out fighting, look to get on the front foot and play attacking football. It's what the fans want - it's what I want.

That could be word perfect. But as the Bee Gees sang "it's only words."

It has a feeling of separating the Coach from the collective. I agree with @headhunter, the Captain should stand up and say it wasn't good enough and they stand behind Holden. Whether they actually mean it or not, surely time for standing together not cutting him off at the knees.

Footage of Holden and Ashton's latest meeting ...

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

It’s the same every week, nothing changes, he’s a nice guy tho so gets away with it. Should’ve went Saturday 

27 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

d) All of the above

Ahhhh!  They are all too tired..........poor little things, after they all worked so so hard on Saturday ??

8 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Sorry, you forgot...."we will take it on the chin, and move on"   Boy, do i feel sorry for that poor pheckin chin?

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Strange. When I think of Deans reign a different Bee Gees song springs to mind...

Well if we're onto songs......was this Dean's phone call to Guernsey at the week end?

Steve, you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that you are mine
I'll be here 'till the end of time
So you got to let me know

One day it's fine and next it's black
So if you want me off your back
Well, come on and let me know

If I go, there will be trouble
And if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

This indecision's bugging me 
If you don't want me, set me free 
Exactly whom I'm supposed to be

Come on and let me know 
Should I cool it or should I blow? 

34 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

d) All of the above

Not sure how anyone can see it as disrespecting the fans.  I don’t care if a player is there or not. I care what they do on the pitch. 

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I would think that Deano wants to face up alone in a manly fashion to the horrific display at Vicarage Rd.

if GmG is going a proper job he’ll ask the relevant questions.

Agree.

Out of interest what kind of questions do you think Gregor can ask that he’ll get a proper response to?  It’s one of those situations where if you go all-in on Saturday, you’ll get a standard response - we’ve reviewed the video analysis, I spoke to the players about the standards dropping, etc.

In some respects we don’t need a press-conference, we just need the game.

1 minute ago, bris red said:

‘’Deano’’ ffs ?‍♂️

Tbh the “Deano” thing doesn’t irk me. He’s been here a while, and as an assistant it was always Deano and Macca.

What boils my piss however is the official Twitter/Facebook etc and their references to “Simmo”. He’s just in the door and hasn’t earnt a semi affectionate nickname yet.

Annoys me far more than it should! He’s a man in his 50’s. Just call him Paul Simpson FFS

Keeping Holden in the job is another sign of the ridiculous timing of the Lansdown regime.

The ludicrous delay in appointing him was bad enough. A decent manager could've been brought in during matches that really were dead rubbers and we'd have gone into the brief summer break with a genuine fresh perspective of what the problems at the club were and where we needed to strengthen. Instead we got "I'll keep doing what Lee did, only worse"...:grr:

Now, I suspect the club's decision-makers know Holden isn't the right man for the job, but they again are delaying taking the decision and - in my view - gravely endangering the club. The longer he's here, the less attractive we look to our better players and prospective recruits. Not to mention the possible threat of a relegation battle.

If decisive action was taken now, the incoming manager would know he only needs 3 wins to keep us safe and he has a third of a season to assess what needs to be done at the club, which players can be improved, which can be released and where we need to strengthen.

Archived