IGNORED

Holden Facing The Press This Afternoon

Silvio Dante

48 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Where the captain in all of this ? 

I doubt they want to put Kalas in front of the cameras because, reading between the lines, he and other senior players are just as perplexed and peeved by the coaching/tactics/selections being thrust on them by the ‘coaching’ team.

10 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

I doubt they want to put Kalas in front of the cameras because, reading between the lines, he and other senior players are just as perplexed and peeved by the coaching/tactics/selections being thrust on them by the ‘coaching’ team.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kalas left us of his own accord at the end of season. 

Just now, cidered abroad said:

I am very sad to agree that he will probably want out. Such a shame as he likes the city and wants to settle somewhere so up until a few months ago I could have seen him become a modern day City legend in terms of number of appearances.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Would be ironic given the number of years that it took him to get out of Chelsea. With him, Bentley, JD & Alfie Mawson (sadly now crocked) and a decent right back, that's stable and consistent enough.  But who knows whether we're going to play 3,4 or 5 at the back on a regular basis.  That's down to the coach/manager.  And how knows if DH stays.....all a mess quite frankly.

Correct only Holden should be there, but pointless anyway a player being there as they will just quote the party line with cliche's. The only response they can give us, is to improve on the pitch, action not words!
City Face Masks at www.otibclothing.co.uk

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Totally agree, time for the captain to step up 

Yes, they have just put in an abysmal performance, and now, for whatever reason, are shying away from the camera's. I suspect the club are probably worried Kalas or whoever maybe too honest when speaking....

1 hour ago, marmite said:

Anyone think the board are looking for a replacement before they pull the trigger?  No, nor me. They will wait till it's too late.

I still believe that ANY half decent business would have a succession plan in place.  At my employer, if I go for promotion, I cannot accept new role until I have backfilled my role.

So sureyly MA would have a current up to date list/pool of managers who SL should be looking at if they needed a new head coach tomorrow.

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

a & b

Kalas should man up and speak for all the players and say the level of performance on Saturday was below the standards they set themselves as professionals. But he won't as I think he is a bit of a wuse at times like this. Should have offered to play left side of Taylor Moore on Saturday rather than leave him to shield Towler.

How do you know he didn’t?

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

FFS if ever there was a case of 'fiddling whilst Rome burns' this is it. We are in real danger of being relegated if we carry on with the current regime and it seems SL just does not want to accept that the appointments made were a big mistake

Whilst I dearly want us to win, perhaps if Reading put 6 past us too it will finally force SL to act!

Is there any point sacking him until a replacement is lined up?

Who takes over? The same coaches that appear to have added zero to our play style or ability?

May as well keep him in place and line up someone in background, as many clubs tend to do.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Good post RR.

Re your final para, I know myself there’s been a lot of focus on Diedhiou and whether he’s on the beach.  But is it a possibility that the likes of Hunt and Pato are also starting to think “what if I get injured now, there’s no contract offer on the table”?

Could MA’s gaff with Sky and subsequent interview with 20Man where he admitted he can offer Fam a fantastic deal, but not anyone else, whilst bringing in Lansbury, started to show the discontent on the pitch.  Don’t get me wrong performances have been bad, but commitment and desire has dropped off alarmingly in the last few?

Nail. On. Head.

Ashton in trying to be clever has just made a rod for his own back, with every other player out of contract in the summer. 

That's probably why we're in the slump we find ourselves in.

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

Ah, the good old ‘reading between the lines’.  That, is ‘guessing’.

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Realistically, other than "I'm not up to it, I resign", he isn't going to be able to say anything that won't have people slating him.

And I couldn't care less about what the players say either, and am even less arsed about them posting platitudes for the morons on twitter. Do your talking on the pitch lads.

He'll probably say that it's definitely not the fault of the useless incompetents above that appointed me, definitely not, and they definitely don't have a track record of repeating incompetence, ...err..definitely not.. and ...err....we go again..err..

19 minutes ago, soultrader said:

I still believe that ANY half decent business would have a succession plan in place.  At my employer, if I go for promotion, I cannot accept new role until I have backfilled my role.

So sureyly MA would have a current up to date list/pool of managers who SL should be looking at if they needed a new head coach tomorrow.

Unfortunately that’s part of the problem. Ashton / SL have previously said that they have succession plans in place for everything under the sun. That’s the benefit of the wonderful system in place as, when someone leaves, someone else can be recruited without any disruption to the master plan. Unfortunately when it came to the crunch after LJ was sacked, this was proved to be just a lot of hot air, and we ended up with Dean Holden. If he’s sacked the super succession plan will probably identify the chap who sells Clark’s Pies outside the ground as the ideal replacement 

12 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Unfortunately that’s part of the problem. Ashton / SL have previously said that they have succession plans in place for everything under the sun. That’s the benefit of the wonderful system in place as, when someone leaves, someone else can be recruited without any disruption to the master plan. Unfortunately when it came to the crunch after LJ was sacked, this was proved to be just a lot of hot air, and we ended up with Dean Holden. If he’s sacked the super succession plan will probably identify the chap who sells Clark’s Pies outside the ground as the ideal replacement 

Thats just about the only thing that i miss about not being able to attend the games i do like a clarks pie well if iam honest a shortcrust pastie

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tbh the “Deano” thing doesn’t irk me. He’s been here a while, and as an assistant it was always Deano and Macca.

What boils my piss however is the official Twitter/Facebook etc and their references to “Simmo”. He’s just in the door and hasn’t earnt a semi affectionate nickname yet.

Annoys me far more than it should! He’s a man in his 50’s. Just call him Paul Simpson FFS

Or their falling over themselves to label Mariappa as ‘Mapps’ 5 minutes after signing. The social media guy is a Watford fan, so it figures I suppose - just yet another faux pas.

43 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Is there any point sacking him until a replacement is lined up?

Who takes over? The same coaches that appear to have added zero to our play style or ability?

May as well keep him in place and line up someone in background, as many clubs tend to do.

Yeah the exact same has we did with deano

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Good post RR.

Re your final para, I know myself there’s been a lot of focus on Diedhiou and whether he’s on the beach.  But is it a possibility that the likes of Hunt and Pato are also starting to think “what if I get injured now, there’s no contract offer on the table”?

Could MA’s gaff with Sky and subsequent interview with 20Man where he admitted he can offer Fam a fantastic deal, but not anyone else, whilst bringing in Lansbury, started to show the discontent on the pitch.  Don’t get me wrong performances have been bad, but commitment and desire has dropped off alarmingly in the last few?

I cringed when all that Fam stuff became public.

You can see some logic to his ploy, but surely ONLY show your hand or call their bluff if you are damn sure you have a better one.

In this case, the only thing we had in our favour was the fact we were financially happy to cut off our noses to spite our face, or the hope we'd pull an ace in January and some desperate club would bid millions (well, that never happened as we know)

So we called his bluff with a pair, lost and are left with a player most likely walking away in the summer for free to a much better pay day, who is now seemingly going through the motions and adding little to nothing in terms of value on the pitch.

Add to that, as you say, the knock to the other OOC players....badly handled.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

performances have been bad, but commitment and desire has dropped off alarmingly in the last few?

As with the stat I shared yesterday, I still think it was 11 or 12 games ago, around the time of the Rotherham game, when competitive metrics mostly dropped off. I notice you are trying to rationalise a recent drop off by wondering about player mentality - any idea from your stats what it would have been if the change was 12 games ago?

I looked at injuries and only Chris Brunt coincides (plus Jay DaSilva a game or two earlier). I don't know if anyone would claim that either was influential enough for City to so alarmingly deteriorate, although it has made me wonder how vocal Brunt is, he was brought in to be so, and from injury to quitting the club, coincides with meltdown.

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

I cringed when all that Fam stuff became public.

You can see some logic to his ploy, but surely ONLY show your hand or call their bluff if you are damn sure you have a better one.

In this case, the only thing we had in our favour was the fact we were financially happy to cut off our noses to spite our face, or the hope we'd pull an ace in January and some desperate club would bid millions (well, that never happened as we know)

So we called his bluff with a pair, lost and are left with a player most likely walking away in the summer for free to a much better pay day, who is now seemingly going through the motions and adding little to nothing in terms of value on the pitch.

Add to that, as you say, the knock to the other OOC players....badly handled.

The Fam stuff in isolation might’ve been a masterful piece of brinksmanship....although I doubted.

But double / triple / quadruple / (dunno what the 5th one is called) it up with:

• It’s one of the best offers ever
  • It’s an uncertain time so we can’t offer any contracts 
  • we’ve never put a contract offer in front of Liam Walsh 
  • welcome Henri

And I think it’s clear to say Ashton is looking more and more like Velma in Scooby Doo.  You know - the one where Fred and Daphne go off together, leaving her with Scooby and Shaggy, where she ultimately ends up scrambling on the floor looking for her glasses whilst a ghost (or Left Back) gets away.

3 hours ago, CodeRed said:

For anyone unable to listen to Dean's press conference later - here's his script:

Saturday was unacceptable, the players know that, we've had a discussion they've held their hands up. They're an honest group and they're desperate to put it right for the supporters. We haven't singled anyone out - we win as a team and lose as a team and that includes me. I'm learning, every day I look at myself and ask myself if I could have done better.

That result has gone now, we can't erase it from the history books all we can do is stick together as a group, work as hard as we possibly can and move on.  Tuesday can't come soon enough for me and the players. We owe the supporters a performance and we'll do everything to achieve that. We'll come out fighting, we've had a punch on the nose and been knocked down but it's how we get back up and respond that matters now. I've been a fighter all my life and I expect the same from my players. We'll give everything on Tuesday, come out fighting, look to get on the front foot and play attacking football. It's what the fans want - it's what I want.

Need a few “as I say”s in there and that’s probably verbatim. 

Archived