IGNORED

Holden Facing The Press This Afternoon

Silvio Dante

Just now, Northern Red said:

Yes, but you know full well that that was never going to happen.

I know it’s not going to happen but something has to. That result Saturday has been coming for weeks and I can’t see it getting any better.

17 minutes ago, westonred said:

About Reading

We've got to make sure we limit their attacking threat as much as we can and carry a threat going forward. That's the plan.

Wow we've got a plan

So the plan is to stop the opposition attacking as that might result in the scoring, and we need to be a threat when going forward ourselves?

Bloody master stroke that, if no other team comes up with that then it might be our season!

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

What did you want him to say, realistically?

He's in a difficult position...he should never have been given the job. Should have been told 'thanks for your efforts' on Sunday, along with Ashton. The Chairman should be talking through the process for appointing qualified replacements.

However, given that Holden is still in post I'd be advising him to stop playing the personal life card. It's completely irrelevant to his capability to manage a Championship football club. Comes across as appealing for sympathy...which makes him look even more pitiful.

Hmm, some interesting bits in there. Mostly pulled out already but it does come across as him feeling a bit sorry for himself.

I know a write up doesn’t usually show full context. A little bit worrying based on the that report. He seems to focus on his own self preservation techniques (family, ‘developed strategies’ for HIM to get through it.) Indicates the pressure is getting to him.

I can’t imagine Cotterill, Warnock or even Lee Johnson focusing on those sort of things so much.

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

He's in a difficult position...he should never have been given the job. Should have been told 'thanks for your efforts' on Sunday, along with Ashton. The Chairman should be talking through the process for appointing qualified replacements.

However, given that Holden is still in post I'd be advising him to stop playing the personal life card. It's completely irrelevant to his capability to manage a Championship football club. Comes across as appealing for sympathy...which makes him look even more pitiful.

cat bed GIF

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I'm definitely in the holden out camp but some of the personal comments about DH etc aren't pleasent. 

Was always going to happen unfortunately. In actual fact Dean is quite a lucky man that fans haven’t been allowed in as the vitriol he would be receiving would not be pleasant. I don’t condone personal abuse towards Dean but the fans deserve better, we all put a lot of time effort and money into the football club so in many ways you cannot blame people for their feelings.

11 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I'm definitely in the holden out camp but some of the personal comments about DH etc aren't pleasent. 

I don’t think it’s been too bad towards Holden. People understand he wasn’t going to turn down the opportunity and is clearly trying.

Lee Johnson got it far far worse on here, and still does!

34 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He talks to the players as a group & one on one, as well as after a game and through the week. 

Isn’t that a Craig David song?

Took um for a run on Monday

talk some tactics on tuesday, on wednesday and on Thursday , friday, got hammered on Saturday!!

Repeat again on Sunday!!

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

It's not really galvanising the team, fighting talk is it? It doesn't inspire confidence. When he mentioned his daughter last week it got me concerned. He really shouldn't have been put in this position.

It's painful to read as I'm not sure what else he can say in the circumstances and I do feel a bit sorry for him, but it really is meaningless emotional stuff. It might be easier to identify with if there was any evidence his sort of rallying call was having any effect on the players, but they've clearly been ignoring it for weeks so it all rings a bit hollow.

One thing struck me as a bit overplayed - not to have a go, but he says "Nothing has ever come easy for me in my life and I've worked so hard to become head coach of this football club." It's well documented he's a journeyman with a tragedy in his family back story, but as it relates to becoming head coach, how hard did he have to work? 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t think it’s been too bad towards Holden. People understand he wasn’t going to turn down the opportunity and is clearly trying.

**** off Dean.

I could list more. One comment like this is to many. To compare personal abuse LJ suffered isn't a defence either. 

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

What did you want him to say, realistically?

Non-cliched truth.

It’s blatantly obvious that we have not reacted to adversity.

I have never before heard a Head Coach of any side declare that conceding a goal at any stage of the game “is a positive” whatever context you put it in.

Something other than “hard work is the answer”.

Talking about “Taking Towler off to protect him” when be put him out there against Sarr in the first place.

Honestly there is so many more.

It is a bit of a jumbled mess of cliche and nonsensical statements.

What I would like him to say, is “this run of results and the way we are playing is not good enough and has not been for a sustained period of time, and I was appointed on the basis that I could achieve a Top 6 finish. I am responsible for the ongoing failure to do this, and for the good of the football club, I have to start analysing if I took this job too soon in my managerial career. I would like to remain at the club in a coaching/advisory position and maybe one day this opportunity may come around again, but for my credibility and that of the football club I am offering my resignation.”

Possibly something like that.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

"We're in a bad run of defeats at the moment and we need to come out of it. You certainly won't come out of it by moping around and moaning to your mate that you're not in the team and moaning about this and that."

Wonder who's been moping and moaning. If anyone, could just be a general point.

Holden doesn’t tend to talk in metaphors. He is clearly talking about something that’s happened. Not sure why he’d find that surprising though, he’s been in plenty of dressing rooms over the years to know it’s normal.

19 minutes ago, dave36 said:

The club don’t give a flying ***k for the football fans!

Corporate entity does absolutely nothing for us! Huge squad of well paid players, most of which are underperforming, organised by the failed favourites puppet!

If city were to fold tomorrow bristol sport would be left with a top class Rugby stadium to go with the soon to be built arena, hotel and car park! 
The team has lost its identity along with the demise of the club/fan relationship!

That's just a hazard of modern football isn't it.

Reading finished bottom third with a wage bill of £40m in 2018/19, Birmingham almost went down with a wage bill of £37m, how much was Sunderland's in 2017/18- Stoke badly underperformed for salary in Championship times etc.

What can be done about it?

13 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Wow more guff than from Holden. Loves to state the obvious doesn't he? 

Can see a 3 goal defeat tomorrow.

There's no place for such optimism on this forum! 

I really want him to succeed, but I haven’t heard one tactical or analytical reason for any loss this season so far. Just really excited for the next game, don’t want to dwell on the last etc. If anything LJ went on about that stuff too much. But now we don’t hear any reason as to why we’ve lost games it feels like

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well if he keeps giving press conferences like that, sympathy is going to fast run out.

Archived