IGNORED

Holden Facing The Press This Afternoon

Silvio Dante

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

It's painful to read as I'm not sure what else he can say in the circumstances and I do feel a bit sorry for him, but it really is meaningless emotional stuff. It might be easier to identify with if there was any evidence his sort of rallying call was having any effect on the players, but they've clearly been ignoring it for weeks so it all rings a bit hollow.

One thing struck me as a bit overplayed - not to have a go, but he says "Nothing has ever come easy for me in my life and I've worked so hard to become head coach of this football club." It's well documented he's a journeyman with a tragedy in his family back story, but as it relates to becoming head coach, how hard did he have to work? 

He's obviously decided on the 'get everybody to feel sorry for me and we'll start wining', tactic.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Holden doesn’t tend to talk in metaphors. He is clearly talking about something that’s happened. Not sure why he’d find that surprising though, he’s been in plenty of dressing rooms over the years to know it’s normal.

Yeah, I think it was Clough that said something along the lines of having to accept as a manager that only 11 people at a time like you. There’s always factions, and those factions vary and depend who is in the team at the time.

Its when there are less than 11 that aren’t moaning that there’s real problems 

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

**** off Dean.

I could list more. One comment like this is to many. To compare personal abuse LJ suffered isn't a defence either. 

'failing football manager gets a bit of abuse on a football forum he doesn't read'

Surely anyone taking the job knows that it goes with the territory?

As others have said, he's been lucky there are no fans at matches...but I feel for the bloke. Out of his depth and sinking fast.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just skim reading the press conference.

The lack of players is a bit curious...so is Dave Barton's response. Arguably Holden's too? 

DH on why no players up for press today

That's a question for Dave [Barton]. I didn't know that.

Dave Barton interjects...

Ask me afterwards and I'll explain.

Yeh, I was expecting Kalas to be up. Head Coach and Captain together as a united front. Will wait to hear what Barton's explanation is.

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

"We're in a bad run of defeats at the moment and we need to come out of it. You certainly won't come out of it by moping around and moaning to your mate that you're not in the team and moaning about this and that."

Wonder who's been moping and moaning. If anyone, could just be a general point.

I remember something someone told me about a coach in a different sport, which has stuck with me since.  Someone I thought was a well-respected coach.

After a resounding tub-thumping timeout speech, it ended with one of the players asking - so what’s the play, coach?

Great to be passionate, but you need to instruct and convince too.

You could argue he’s trying not to give too much away, but I think we know that’s not the case here.

Worrying interview.  He didn’t have much to gain in the interview, but that type of answer is gonna be looked on dimly.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The lack of players is a bit curious...so is Dave Barton's response. Arguably Holden's too? 

That is awful joining-up from the club.  They’ve let Dean down there, and he’s naively failed to prep, be briefed.

I can’t see how this can carry on.

14 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

oooooooooooooo

That’s pretty revealing. 

We know he’s little more than a puppet of course, but to be so out of the loop that’s he’s not even aware that his own players won’t be speaking with the press at a time when any proper manager would want to be showing a united front and be all over the comms following such a defeat tells us everything we need to know. 

They’re hanging him out to dry. 

What a bunch of cowards we have running our club. 

2 minutes ago, Winston said:

I’ve got nothing again Holden, he’s seems a decent bloke but I don’t feel sorry for him.

He knew full well when he got the job that the fans didn’t want him in charge, and as soon as results started to go downhill he would be instantly under huge pressure.

Agreed. Im edging towards the not feeling sorry in the slightest for old Dean. He knew the crack and that the fans clearly didn’t want him when taking the job and how immensely difficult it would be when shit hit the fan. 

42 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Spot on. Self indulgent twaddle. 

We are all sick to death of the experiments with managers/coaches. Get someone in who commands respect and can do the fcking job.

On the other hand, Neil Thompson at Sheffield Wednesday- who I hear people ask- 5 wins in 7 League games, vs experienced Monk and Pulis with 4 in 21.

Not managed since 2004 and the highest he managed was League One in the late 1990s. One less win in 7 than an experienced and reasonably successful Karanka in 29/

No magic recipe...but unsure Holden is the man.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Holden doesn’t tend to talk in metaphors. He is clearly talking about something that’s happened. Not sure why he’d find that surprising though, he’s been in plenty of dressing rooms over the years to know it’s normal.

Interesting this.

Apart from Bentley and Kalas any of them could have a case especially if the grumbles are being played out of position!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I remember something someone told me about a coach in a different sport, which has stuck with me since.  Someone I thought was a well-respected coach.

After a resounding tub-thumping timeout speech, it ended with one of the players asking - so what’s the play, coach?

Great to be passionate, but you need to instruct and convince too.

You could argue he’s trying not to give too much away, but I think we know that’s not the case here.

Worrying interview.  He didn’t have much to gain in the interview, but that type of answer is gonna be looked on dimly.

Agree its just meaningless platitudes, he may as well just have just walked in and said "we go again" and then left. Johnson chatted a lot of bollocks but at least he tried in his way to tactically dissect the performances, box entries etc etc. 

I have never once heard anything other than variations of work hard. 

I can imagine his team talks are just do what you are doing but do it better, no direction just be a bit better. 

Just now, TomThumb84 said:

Interesting this.

Apart from Bentley and Kalas any of them could have a case especially if the grumbles are being played out of position!

My money? Wells. Nagy maybe but I just don't get the impression he's a moaner. Wells though - some of his expressions when being subbed, general persona, yeh. I reckon he'd have a good moan about not being in the team or being played out of position.

Gregor has just DMd me to say he has no idea why the 5pm embargo.  Dave Barton advised that.  Gregor said he can only assume that there was a lot of tv (Sky, ITV, etc) and maybe they didn’t want Gregor putting his stuff out hours before the rest.

SL now on 20Man (not Geoff though)

Just now, Davefevs said:

That is awful joining-up from the club.  They’ve let Dean down there, and he’s naively failed to prep, be briefed.

I can’t see how this can carry on.

Agreed...although I fear it will. Amateur night at the Gate yet again!

Holden's main line seems to be 'nothing in my life has come easy'...which on a moment's reflection is a poor line to take when he knows that the club supporters have been scratching their heads to work out how someone with so little demonstrable capability to do the job should have been handed it on a plate.

Pitiful. Reflects poorly on the club's media department. They must have been able to prep against likely questions.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

So hang on, does this mean he is also unaware when players do turn up and does not know who they are going to be?

Come off it - he knew there would be no players there and deflected like he does about injuries, contract and transfers.

Starting to become quite the opposite of “Honest Dean” really.

Archived