IGNORED

Go for it, fail to go up and fail FFP or the Status Quo?

Mr Popodopolous

What would you rather have?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I sometimes wonder what some would prefer. The complaints about lack of investment or similar.

Yet heavy investment is no guarantee as we've seen at many clubs.

Clearly the preferred option is to keep competitive, good football, and eventually promotion while avoiding financial risks.

What some of those who complain about a lack of investment fail to acknowledge is a significant downside risk.

At least with Option 2 however, nobody can say a club hasn't gone for it.

Clearly a better hit rate on transfers, remaining competitive, continuing to progress as opposed to stagnation/regression, working towards promotion, with better football is the preferred option. It's certainly mine!

Tbh @Colemanballs

From what I've read periodically elsewhere on social media or listening to callers to Radio Bristol on Saturday, or indeed Chris Honor and his points, they seem not to factor in this side of the equation.

I'm just wondering if people think an all-in albeit failed roll of the dice would be better or plodding along as a reasonable 2nd Tier side.

Try and fail or don't roll dice but stay at this level.

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

Needs at least one more option 

Which would be?

13 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

I haven't seen many (if any) complaining about lack of investment. It's lack of competence that's the issue.

Indeed. You can’t knock the current sums of money we are currently throwing around. Players like Kalas and Wells on £25 k a week plus, a CEO on £500 k a year plus etc etc.. we certainly seem to pay the going rates and as far as i can see we are maxing our expenditure as best as we can without breaching FFP. When you look at the clubs that haven’t got the parachute payments we are probably right up there in terms of wages and transfer fees paid.

The problem i and many others have as you have said is the complete incompetence of how the money is actually being spent, this is the huge issue that needs to be addressed.

2 minutes ago, tin said:
  1. Do nothing for the next 18 months and probably slide back into L1
  2. Restructure the back-room now before the transfer window reopens
  3. Go for broke in an attempt to get to the PL

I don't think we have a bottom 3 squad but we have to improve. Recruitment feels hit and miss, needs to have a stronger success rate for sure. 

By back-room, would that be medical, recruitment, coaching staff? Mix of all 3?

Well yep, go for broke is the go for it but fail FFP. That kinda implies go for broke but do we know if they can dock points in-season? It feels possible, if that's the case them we might have an issue.

7 minutes ago, bris red said:

Indeed. You can’t knock the current sums of money we are currently throwing around. Players like Kalas and Wells on £25 k a week plus, a CEO on £500 k a year plus etc etc.. we certainly seem to pay the going rates and as far as i can see we are maxing our expenditure as best as we can without breaching FFP. When you look at the clubs that haven’t got the parachute payments we are probably right up there in terms of wages and transfer fees paid.

The problem i and many others have as you have said is the complete incompetence of how the money is actually being spent, this is the huge issue that needs to be addressed.

Is it that bad a squad though or have tactics, how we're setup, in some cases development and of course the injury list hindered us?

Of course recruitment could also be better but I think we're less than the sum of our parts tbh. Less- yet for success in most cases to exceed it is needed.

Bentley 

Hunt Kalas Mawson DaSilva

Nagy Williams Lansbury 

Palmer

Weimann Wells

4-3-1-2. More solid base for Palmer to have a bit more freedom. Wells more central. Most of that back 4 and GK good, Hunt serviceable.

Martin if rotated well, Diedhiou at times, Paterson, Walsh, Bakinson, Massengo, Baker, Rowe to name some are depth.

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I sometimes wonder what some would prefer. The complaints about lack of investment or similar.

Yet heavy investment is no guarantee as we've seen at many clubs.

Clearly the preferred option is to keep competitive, good football, and eventually promotion while avoiding financial risks.

What some of those who complain about a lack of investment fail to acknowledge is a significant downside risk.

At least with Option 2 however, nobody can say a club hasn't gone for it.

I would prefer a little honesty from the owner .

He sacks LJ stating publicly that he , LJ, had failed to get us into the top six and that the Prem was our goal, then to everyone’s amazement, Holden included I suspect, names the ‘ failed ‘ head coaches sidekick in his place ! 

He is responsible for our disappointment. 

If Uncle Steve came out and said something like ‘ we want to grow a team for the Prem but it will take a bit of time ‘ then fair enough. We may not like it but we can accept that it is the objective.

Once again our club is a shambles and SL is at the helm. The buck stops with him. 

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't think we have a bottom 3 squad but we have to improve. Recruitment feels hit and miss, needs to have a stronger success rate for sure. 

Neither do I, Pops. I don't even think it's up for debate that a more experienced manager would have been able to get more out of this squad.

By back-room, would that be medical, recruitment, coaching staff? Mix of all 3?

A mix of all three. A complete audit should be undertaken, IMO. I'd to like to see Ashton, JL, the entire recruitment team, the entire medical team replaced, although I accept JL is going nowhere soon. 

Well yep, go for broke is the go for it but fail FFP. That kinda implies go for broke but do we know if they can dock points in-season? It feels possible, if that's the case them we might have an issue.

Those three points I made would've been the three options I'd have listed in your poll. I didn't vote in your poll because I don't want us to go for broke and fail FFP, neither do I think it's a given we will remain in the Championship if we keep plodding along doing nothing. 

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

10 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

How about just get through this season, see where we are in the summer and focus on the academy, signing up and coming players, plus experience in areas where it’s needed. Whilst working within a sensible budget. 

The problem being that waiting until the summer will see us in League 1 if results continue as they are.

We should be active not passively hoping that the shambles sorts itself out by some miracle.

41 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The problem being that waiting until the summer will see us in League 1 if results continue as they are.

We should be active not passively hoping that the shambles sorts itself out by some miracle.

Doing what? Transfer window shut and too many injuries to key players. The problem is player availability and 2 games a week, not the manager. Last season Hull showed what can happen by removing a few key players. They sold them, ours are injured. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I would prefer a little honesty from the owner .

He sacks LJ stating publicly that he , LJ, had failed to get us into the top six and that the Prem was our goal, then to everyone’s amazement, Holden included I suspect, names the ‘ failed ‘ head coaches sidekick in his place ! 

He is responsible for our disappointment. 

If Uncle Steve came out and said something like ‘ we want to grow a team for the Prem but it will take a bit of time ‘ then fair enough. We may not like it but we can accept that it is the objective.

Once again our club is a shambles and SL is at the helm. The buck stops with him. 

The problem is, in the summer who could have been appointed with respect to relative budget constraints due to a mix of FFP and Covid?

Who Major would you have appointed, but more importantly what kind of Transfer budget for the here and now would they have wanted?

I think Cook might have fitted the bill but as of last summer he still had some contractual complexities.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I think relegation fears are a bit drastic don't you? We know we've got better players than 6-0 losses to Championship sides, we know we can do better than 1 Shot on Target.

57 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Doing what? Transfer window shut and too many injuries to key players. The problem is player availability and 2 games a week, not the manager. Last season Hull showed what can happen by removing a few key players. They sold them, ours are injured. 

We were linked with a loan for Pedersen on deadline day. 

By my most recent calcs we have 12 players out injured, then add to that returning loanees who were injured on return, ie Nurse and Watkins. 14 and counting. Williams was just rested Saturday so assuming he's okay it's 14.

The problem as well as numbers is specified positions. 

LB- DaSilva, Rowe, Pring, Nurse. Whoever you put in will weaken us- could O'Dowda play or have played LB, LWB or was he right sided? Ah but he's injured...

LCB. We have two, not saying either could play LB but they at least bring a balance, Baker and Mawson. Injured!

Already half your left side is unbalanced, in a defensive sense. I doubt it's great attacking wise either.

Higher up the pitch. Paterson and the aforementioned O'Dowda. First definitely can play left, second can't quite recall. One was, one is injured. At least Paterson is back now.

Left side goes again, but playing Wells out there weakened us both offensively and defensively.

Other positions have injuries too but the issue seems less acute.

We seem to be decimated on our left.

Go for it, fail to go up and fail FFP or the Status Quo?

Is the answer Whatever you Want?

5 hours ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Where's the get promoted whilst adhering to FFP option :dunno:

That’s only used on Brentford’s forum.

Can't believe anyone would wish for us to break FFP. 

'82 etc should have taught us a lesson.

Equally - There's no point going for it until we, at the very least, have the infrastructure needed to sustain any level of performance push. 

We're a long way off having the base squad and setup to "go for it". 

We dont need to break FFP. The players are good enough it's the coaches that aren't.  Any one of our squad , lf they were playing against us, would be a player we would want in our team. It's when they get here it goes wrong. It's been like that for years here. We can ruin anyone and it's one of the reasons we find it hard to recruit. Why cant SL see it?

Archived