IGNORED

SL on radio bristol

Curr Avon

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

He seems to be relying on his old guard from BHA Knockaert and  Murray. Hardly building for the future, more of shoring it up short term. Watch him get them into the play offs next season though if they back him this summer. 

Can they back him with FFP a factor? Have to say that's a grey area.

Players such as Christie, Freeman, Krovinovic, Knockaert on loan, Murray on a 6 month deal. He might be hamstrung in the market.

47 minutes ago, daored said:

I’m sure Lansdown wants a wage cap in this league like so many other clubs, but with clubs like Derby , Sheffield Wednesday and three relegated clubs every year it’s difficult to imagine it’ll ever be agreed (wrongly in my view). But aren’t we as bad as the others, our wages exceed our income?

One solution would be to build it into players contracts which would force it.  Player could offset with a relegation release sell on fee rather than release clause.

I am sure all players at our club have increased salary for promotion as well - maybe we could inflate those further to incentivise 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

That’s the least committed backing of a manager I’ve heard him give someone. Sounds like a fed up man

Yeah, not the greatest endorsement of your head coach 

Looking at the next two games I think we may have a vacancy available for the Swansea game

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Anybody see 4-5 games that they really think that we can win before the end of this season? I am struggling.

But not as much as DH as a Head Coach...

Honestly can’t see us winning any more games this season in fact based on our performances and stats we may not even score again this season. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

One thing that really pissed me off was the interviewers question on alternative experienced managers. He gave Lansdown such an easy out by suggesting that the club could have appointed Warnock or Pulis. Such a poor question and even Lansdown laughed at it. 

Lansdown did well to avoid Twentyman. 

Yes, the presenter has to show respect that hes talking to the owner of the club and wealthy prominent local business man, but he did mess that up, hughton was the obvious name to raise,,, perhaps he had a brain freeze at that moment.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He was, but I'd read (on here probably) that he wanted a major influx or something.

Point is I don't know how much financial leeway in the market we can offer a new manager. Be that Hughton or anyone.

That was an assumption, including on my part. SSN reported at the time that he was interested in the job "with the right backing".

Given what has happened at Forest since I now wonder if he was referring to having more control than was on offer.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And yet Hughton was happy to rock up at Forest with someone else’s players?

Perhaps by then he’d realised the financial climate in football had changed massively due to Covid and he couldn't expect the same funding as he would have previously.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

The overarching thing I got from SL there was the feeling of ‘I shouldn’t have to be ******* doing this again’. You can hear how fed up he is. Holden is absolutely a dead man walking imo

Thing is, easy way round it for SL, appointing an individual who has some track record in the position being recruited for...can’t see SL and Hargreaves signing off on a rookie having searched for Ian Gorham’s replacement at HL. Hmm, hey Pete, let’s give it to this chap because he’s a great human, we will overlook the absence of a track record at this level. Like appointing the manager of your local HSBC branch to run a FTSE 100 financial services company, probably not the wisest shout in hindsight, nor foresight, nor any other kind of sight...

7 minutes ago, Bubble said:

One solution would be to build it into players contracts which would force it.  Player could offset with a relegation release sell on fee rather than release clause.

I am sure all players at our club have increased salary for promotion as well - maybe we could inflate those further to incentivise 

A bigger split of bonuses and basic could be worth exploring.

Both in respect of promotion and in general?

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

When he said hindsight's a wonderful thing, what about some foresight.

Like signing Mawson after he suffered 2 lengthy knee injuries at Fulham in the past 2 seasons, only to experience the same fate this term. Didn't they learn anything from Afobe's record. Why the risk?

To be fair , in our financial situation we have to take cheaper risks.   Webster was always injured at Ipswich but that turned out ok for us

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

SL can't win with some, moan when he does not speak out, moan that MA is not there

think to come on after our run of results, fair play to him, he did not have to.

FFS, what did you expect him to say, think its been an honest interview

Good to see that this post has had the most ‘likes’ in the thread.  I’m reassured that there are still some loyal City fans around who don’t spend all their time posting ‘witty’ and desperately repetitive one-liners about anyone who works at Ashton Gate.

28 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah, two things clear a heavy defeat tomorrow or just a point from the next two and Holden is gone.

2nd Ashton is going no time in the distance future.

Possibly right with Ashton, but the seeds of doubt are sewn. Steve coming out tonight is not a good sign for Holden nor Ashton. Holden has to deliver now. 

As for Ashton, he may be a sacking away from a sacking.

R.E Hughton and transfer expectations @Mr Popodopolous - this has definitely been a common thought on OTIB since the summer. 

Looking back now though, they had the £15m sale of Matt Targett to help off-set their (pre Hughton) summer spend, which wasn't massive.

So Hughton came in and was happy to work with someone else's squad (as has been pointed out) and in the one window he has had, they made 3 signings IIRC all free's or loans.

So perhaps this idea of him demanding a transfer war chest was more incorrect speculation. 

4 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

He misssd 50 per cent of the games over 2 years 

3FF84CE2-819B-49D2-AB00-406CEA85E55B.png

Bloody hell it all makes sense now.

Webster was the cause of brining the Hamstring-19 pandemic to Ashton Gate - as well as just about every other type of injury!

Archived