IGNORED

SL on radio bristol

Curr Avon

12 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

SL appointed Ashton to basically run the club for him. I find it worrying that SL still feels the need to go on radio Bristol to address the situation. Why isn't Mark Ashton doing that? Does SL not trust Ashton to say the right things?

In terms of the football, I think any less than 2pts from our next two games and he's gone. E.g. 2 draws or 1 win would be enough to buy him more time but nothing less.

Just delaying the inevitable really. Aside some amazing run of form, Holden is finished. That much was clear I think from SL last night.  

12 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

All true of course but regardless of motive there’s still that societal benefit in terms of job creation (plus employees paying tax / not claiming benefits). So hero, no. But positive, yes.

But avoiding tax through residency, well personally I wouldn’t do it. But then I doubt I’ll ever be in that position to choose!

I think living on the Channel Islands would get a bit dull.

Going back to your first point, there's a societal benefit in having thriving businesses based in your hometown. The businesses aren't founded for that reason though. They are motivated by the same selfish reasons we all try and earn as much as we can in whatever job we do. I started mine because I found my way up the corporate ladder blocked by men I physically wanted to strangle. :cool2:  Working for myself will be stressful, I reasoned, but less stressful than sharing space with people I despise.

I'm not knocking Steve L for being a capitalist at all. Them's the rules we live under. We all, to some degree or other, play the same game.

15 minutes ago, mozo said:

From how you come across on the forum I'd like to think you wouldn't move to Guernsey to squirrel a vast fortune away. You don't seem like the type, but I could be wrong!

I might be corrupted by vast wealth.

I'd like to try it out.

Just for an experiment of course... ;) 

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Doesn't seem to have worked very well though - they are a basket case of a club at the minute. Finances shot to pieces, and an ageing team clinging to former glories. I went to the Nou camp a few years ago - was shocked at how run down it was, and i believe the rebuild has been put on hold.

I could do with a few days in Barcelona ?

Funnily enough all you have said is true, except the ageing team bit, because they had an ageing team they have been forced to play a lot of young lads this season, the pick of the bunch a lad called  Pedre, an 18 year old central midfielder, who is  pure class. They have a bit of an injury crisis atm, which has hastened the need to bring these young lads through. 

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think he’s getting the benefit of doubt due to injuries and previous “good” spells, but if we lose tonight I have no doubt SL will sack him, just from reading between the lines

Is that a tactical appraisal of how tonight’s opponents will beat us?

3 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

He may be smart in Financial Services, but nobody is smart at everything.

It may be the case that he's no better in "football" than Sam Allardyce would be in Financial Services, for example. 

When it comes to football, I see no particular evidence for fans to feel subservient to Lansdown. 

To be successful in football, you have to live and breathe it 365.
Not convinced SL is in that category? JL (the chairman) certainly ain’t IMO.

Infact, I get the impression from that interview that SL has taken his eye of the ball for a while, and now realises (BIG) mistakes have been made.

Strange that the rights and wrongs of Jon Lansdown being in the Caribbean have turned into an argument about wealth and pandemic morality. Isn't the real issue how poorly the club articulate the roles of those who run it?

Forget titles for a second, just tell us what everyone's actually supposed to be doing. I must admit I thought JL had some sort of full time capacity but perhaps he doesn't. A chairman doesn't usually, that's what the CEO is for.

But between MA recommending 3 LBs only to be turned down by a board of which he is only full time member and DH not knowing if his players attend press conferences, in 24 hours we've seen how unclear responsibilities are. 

So rather than arguing over wherever JL is, isn't the real issue that from his dad down to the head coach, it is hard to know who does what or who is accountable to who. If anything JL is just victim of their own spin and deflection!

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

When my children got to an age when they inexplicably stopped laughing at my previously incredibly funny jokes I consoled myself that sometimes it is sufficient just to amuse myself.

So I kept the jokes coming.

I guess this applies to you and this clip - no one's laughing but you're happy just to amuse yourself anyway even if it gets a negative reaction from others.

In my case it took years of being met by scowls and bemused faces before they started laughing again.

You seem to have have similar patience and hopes with your clip - the big drawback perhaps being that, while there's little doubt in my mind that my jokes continued to be hilarious, your clip really isn't funny in the first place!

I didn't realise people would get so upset about it. I won't post it again.

13 minutes ago, Olé said:

Strange that the rights and wrongs of Jon Lansdown being in the Caribbean have turned into an argument about wealth and pandemic morality. Isn't the real issue how poorly the club articulate the roles of those who run it?

Forget titles for a second, just tell us what everyone's actually supposed to be doing. I must admit I thought JL had some sort of full time capacity but perhaps he doesn't. A chairman doesn't usually, that's what the CEO is for.

But between MA recommending 3 LBs only to be turned down by a board of which he is only full time member and DH not knowing if his players attend press conferences, in 24 hours we've seen how unclear responsibilities are. 

So rather than arguing over wherever JL is, isn't the real issue that from his dad down to the head coach, it is hard to know who does what or who is accountable to who. If anything JL is just victim of their own spin and deflection!

To add to this, maybe I am naive but until the last few months I never really believed the leadership at AG actively told lies to the fan base. I always thought there was spin, which is fine to a point, but now it feels deceptive.

simple things, Williams is or isn’t injured? Have we offered Walsh a contract? It feels we are being misled, maybe the above confusion creates this situation?

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wait til @Harryfinds out this, he’s-gonna lose his shit!

To he honest Dave, the only thing I’ve been angry about in this whole pandemic is the fact that schools were (and still remain) closed. And that anger has now diminished to reflective sadness. 
I honestly couldn’t give a hoot where in the world the feckless elite decide to spend their time. 

My thoughts on JL being in the Caribbean....we hear a lot about our injured players being “on the grass”, and yet there seems to be a stalling at that point. Perhaps he’s searching the West Indies for better quality grass? 

I listened to the interview at last. Rugby aside, he sounded pretty hacked off with how things going...everyone now on notice to up their game I hope.

Happy to see it.

JL being abroad is odd on two levels. Covid restrictions and Chairman mid season, but tbh I have more faith in a half-focused SL even from Guernsey than a fully focused JL.

People criticise SL's stewardship but JL just hasn't got it- and unsure he ever will. Every chance things would regress further if JL became full time out and out owner I fear. We saw signs of that when SL first moved to Guernsey and JL stepped up a bit.

The recruitment. Was it poor or was it the injuries that made it turn out that way?

Good players now injured:

Mawson- Clearly a classy CB. Crocked for over half a season and crucially an LCB giving that bit of extra balance. 27? Good age.

Williams- 24 year old CM, good at Wigan last year, still with room for growth. Yet what good is he if out injured until the 1st week of February and then seemingly out again.

Martin- Bit older yes. Early 30s- 12 goals, 7 assists for Derby last season. We played him into the ground and we saw his effectiveness gradually diminish. Look at how Cocu utilised him last season, did he have any spells out injured?

Unknown quantities:

Sessegnon- Not many games. Injured of course but would he have been much use to supersede or compete with Hunt?

Lansbury- Seems a good player but only just arrived, let's see what he does.

Signed as Cover?

Mariappa- 34, aging. Done okay, but not one to help with a higher line- assumed he wouldn't be here past January so slightly surprised he is.

Out and out Fail

Brunt- Too old in the first place and got injured anyway.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh the big picture for SL and his move to Guernsey IMO, isn't-wasn't- the income tax. It helps of course, only 20% there.

Nope, it was the Capital Gains. Capital Gains in Guernsey is 0.

Let's be honest, if you had the means not to pay tax by moving some place they let you not pay it, then you most probably would.

49 minutes ago, Harry said:

To he honest Dave, the only thing I’ve been angry about in this whole pandemic is the fact that schools were (and still remain) closed. And that anger has now diminished to reflective sadness. 
I honestly couldn’t give a hoot where in the world the feckless elite decide to spend their time. 

My thoughts on JL being in the Caribbean....we hear a lot about our injured players being “on the grass”, and yet there seems to be a stalling at that point. Perhaps he’s searching the West Indies for better quality grass? 

I thought it was donkeys you put out on the grass not people

Oh, come to think of it ........

1 hour ago, Olé said:

The 3 left backs wording was the board were 'presented' with the 3 left backs.  That could mean anything.

3 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Let's be honest, if you had the means not to pay tax by moving some place they let you not pay it, then you most probably would.

Absolutely not what can an extra £100mill in savings gey you that £1.5billion cant. Ita shockingly greedy, shame on our weak government cor ever allowing it 

Archived