IGNORED

SL on radio bristol

Curr Avon

44 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Ive just read gregors write up on this.... firstly, jon lansdown is in the carribean pursuing personal interests at the moment,, and mark ashton presented 3 left backs for consideration in the transfer window, and this was rejected, but we obviously signed lansbury!!!

MA offered DH 3 Left Backs, but board decided not to progress.  MA is on the board.  How does that add up?

I can only hope that SL is starting to see through MA’s recruitment?

Could purely be that board thought club safe and keep money for summer?

Both are contradicted by Lansbury!

Cunningham and Manning, same Agents (Red6).

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

John Pelling.

Bellingham was later, after Ashton had arrived ?

Billingham came from Stoke iirc.

30 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Just what I was thinking. How would it all work? Would a new owner also acquire the ground (potentially kicking out the Rugby)?

I’m no expert but that’s what I was thinking. If you buy Bristol City It’s surely got little value without buying Ashton Gate. 

Then the rugby either disappear off or become tenants of City. 

Who knows. It feels a right mess... can’t we just have Bristol City back please. The experiment hasn’t worked!!! 

1 hour ago, Will b11 said:

How come he didn’t appoint the best manger at our level back in august then if they were available go get ? (e.g hughton) or do you think he appointed Holden on purpose for COVID reasons ? 

This is my point. SL recognises the fantastic job Pat Lam has done with Bristol Rugby but admits the quality that he brings is too expensive for a footballing equivalent. However, instead of trying to get someone who has achieved success at our level he appointed a manager with no track record except for a poor spell as a caretaker at Oldham. 

I have absolutely no idea why they made that decision but if SL understands that a great coach, with a superb record can do great things for the Rugby club why didn't he at least try to get someone in who isn't at the very outset of his managerial career? At least LJ had two spells in charge prior to joining us. 

We've gone from Cotts proven track record to LJs couple of years experience, then Holden's 15 games in charge of Oldham. What's next? Will Sam Bell get the nod as manager? 

We were told that Holden got the job because he impressed with his pitch for it, knew the players and was more willing to work within the player development versus acquisition model we want to stick to. 

I imagine that finance would play a part in that but who knows. 

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He did an interview a while ago for the rugby - it was on the bristol sport website but I can't find it now - in which he Lansdown was wearing a Bears official merchandise top.

The thought immediately occurred, when has he ever  done an interview wearing a City top??? Never, of course.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories ("he's more interested in the rugby these days...") but it did strike me as very odd.

Wish I could find the video now because it was very odd for a number of reasons

Jonboy probably designed the shirt..

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Ive just read gregors write up on this.... firstly, jon lansdown is in the carribean pursuing personal interests at the moment,, and mark ashton presented 3 left backs for consideration in the transfer window, and this was rejected, but we obviously signed lansbury!!!

'Presenting 3 left backs for consideration' is a very deliberately chosen phrase that could be used to describe anything from a personal introduction including tour of the ground and training facilities on the one hand down to mentioning 3 names in passing in a zoom call to the other directors.

Some peope would even say the phrase is disingenous.  Wonder who gave Gregor that line?

6 hours ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Thing is, easy way round it for SL, appointing an individual who has some track record in the position being recruited for...can’t see SL and Hargreaves signing off on a rookie having searched for Ian Gorham’s replacement at HL. Hmm, hey Pete, let’s give it to this chap because he’s a great human, we will overlook the absence of a track record at this level. Like appointing the manager of your local HSBC branch to run a FTSE 100 financial services company, probably not the wisest shout in hindsight, nor foresight, nor any other kind of sight...

Nail on head GR

Who was the driving force behind HL and as a clue, it wasn't our owner!

Hargreaves not the nicest of people, as some might opine, but got the job done

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

MA offered DH 3 Left Backs, but board decided not to progress.  MA is on the board.  How does that add up?

I can only hope that SL is starting to see through MA’s recruitment?

Could purely be that board thought club safe and keep money for summer?

Both are contradicted by Lansbury!

Cunningham and Manning, same Agents (Red6).

Billingham came from Stoke iirc.

When you say same agents Dave, do you mean same as MA, same as Billingham or as each other?

Cunningham surely a useful 6 month option- was this a a loan or a permanent do we know?

Manning is young and with room to develop, but has only played 6 Championship games for Swansea.  I know things went sour with him but Cunningham on loan seems a solid enough short term LB.

Better than an aging,out of position Mariappa or a young Towler making his way- Cunningham I mean. Manning I know less about, except that he was at QPR and not much gametime at Swansea this year. How picky can we be if we have 4 LBs injured? Holden says 5 though I'm struggling to work out who the 5th is?

Pedersen as well isn't too young, isn't too old and is actually an LB- half-season loan to cover position, why not. Lacks the baggage of Cunningham too. Cunningham I guess also has a relatively recent injury history- he scored for Preston Friday however. Pedersen does not have such an injury history, in his time at Birmingham.

5 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

And ‘does a lot with the EFL’

Oh , great , well that’s alright then...,,

5 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Ha ha ?

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"Mark Ashton's work at the EFL where he protects our position within the hierarchy"

No, that's what you appoint a manager for, Steve. 

While I fully get where these posts are coming from, the fact also remains that we will have our preferred Rules, our preferred directions for the EFL, the League- all clubs do.

To enact or set up a Divisional rule change in the EFL is either 18/24 or 16/24- the Clubs in effect make the Rules and Regulations- can't recall which but one of those two is the minimum threshold. Think it used to be the first, now reduced to the second.

Therefore it is important to have a strong voice there. Not only your voice as a club but to lobby- to take others with you. I imagine for example we have been quite vocal on wanting stronger enforcement on e.g. FFP.  Especially two years ago after the debacle when varied clubs sold and leased back Stadiums, other fixed assets- and one even went up before a proper EFL Investigation!?

Now we can stand up and say that- but we need to convince before 17 and now it might be 15, but anyway a lot of other clubs on rule changes and probably rule enforcement. We were probably also quite vocal about the Salary Cap issue but that seems to have stalled- back to the drawing board to some extent.

Point is though, you don't get really get your way as a club unless you take the right number with you- assume Ashton like all other CEOs will be lobbying hard on certain matters. Unsure how much credit we can give him for it, if any at all but the EFL seem to be looking at clubs much more strictly on FFP for example.

Oh yeah and his position on the EFL Board. An idea coming from a Board member at a club is likely to carry more weight, potentially. Why? Because the other clubs voted to put that Member there, for whatever reason. See also Howe at Reading, Pearce at Derby for Championship EFL Club Board Members and can't recall who else.

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What he means is my position.

As in, "I admit I don't have a clue about football so I've employed someone who assures me he does".

As in, "I used to have a Chief Exec* who let Cotterill and Burt set up deals for Gray, Maguire, Gayle until I heard how much it would cost, refused to fund the deals, got shot of the Chief Exec, ruined my relationship with our most successful manager in years and employed a puppet CEO to make sure no-one but me decided how to spend my money - me, the bloke who has already confessed to knowing jack shit about football"     

* Wish I could remember the name of the CEO before Ashton - left un expectedly without any real explanation, obviously connected to the fact that, on his watch, Cotterill and Burt had pressed ahead with setting up deals for players Lansdown didn' want to pay for 

Pelling

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What he means is my position.

As in, "I admit I don't have a clue about football so I've employed someone who assures me he does".

As in, "I used to have a Chief Exec* who let Cotterill and Burt set up deals for Gray, Maguire, Gayle until I heard how much it would cost, refused to fund the deals, got shot of the Chief Exec, ruined my relationship with our most successful manager in years and employed a puppet CEO to make sure no-one but me decided how to spend my money - me, the bloke who has already confessed to knowing jack shit about football"     

* Wish I could remember the name of the CEO before Ashton - left un expectedly without any real explanation, obviously connected to the fact that, on his watch, Cotterill and Burt had pressed ahead with setting up deals for players Lansdown didn' want to pay for 

Not quite accurate... Cotts & Burt set-up deals for Gray & Maguire (Gayle was a later desperation move). The fees for Gray & Maguire, as I recall were £3.5 and £2.5 million, what fantastic business that would have been as both players eventually moved on from the clubs that did buy them for many times those amounts.  Not to mention what it could have done for us on the pitch. John Pelling either was, or became, the fall guy for trying to renegotiate down the deals verbally agreed - and us losing out on both of them. A monumental cock-up.

Two questions:

1. Jon is in the Caribbean pursuing personal interests. What does that mean a) in a pandemic and b) in the middle of the season when he is a key employee?

2. Mark does a great job furthering our interests with the EFL and maintaining our position in the hierarchy. What? Why? 

After listening to that, I’d say that as a maximum, he has the two games this week to turn things around - SL sounded royally fed-up!

Wouldn’t be surprised if City were already sounding one or two potential replacements out now.....just hope that one ain’t Mr Appleton.

One things for sure, if Holden goes, we can’t leave it 6 weeks to find his replacement!!!!

34 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Two questions:

1. Jon is in the Caribbean pursuing personal interests. What does that mean a) in a pandemic and b) in the middle of the season when he is a key employee?

2. Mark does a great job furthering our interests with the EFL and maintaining our position in the hierarchy. What? Why? 

...whoever gave Gregor that line did JL no favours!

Or indeed the line on the Board turning down 3 left sided defenders suggested to them by Mark Ashton:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-lansdown-speaks-out-pressure-5007850

35 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Two questions:

If we go down do we fall into lowerarchy 

13 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

We've built  a fantastic stadium, a fantastic training ground

We're going through a sticky patch

We've all got to stick together

Always comes back to the "fantastic stadium" statement.

Doesn't wash. I'd sooner have the old one with the League One era than the bullshit we get fed now.

At least it was Bristol City FOOTBALL Club

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Laughable. The Lansdowns have been caught asleep at the wheel again. 

The more I think about it the more of a joke it is. Pursuing personal interests, is that a euphemism for liaising with some Jamaican sort? Totally illegal to travel for personal reasons since the start of January.

Chairman, Managing Director on a jolly does anything sum up our current state more than that?

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

After listening to that, I’d say that as a maximum, he has the two games this week to turn things around - SL sounded royally fed-up!

Wouldn’t be surprised if City were already sounding one or two potential replacements out now.....just hope that one ain’t Mr Appleton.

One things for sure, if Holden goes, we can’t leave it 6 weeks to find his replacement!!!!

I think Appleton is a racing certainty - and I am not joking.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If you’re the son of a billionaire then private jet isn’t beyond reach as it is for the rest of us.

Private jet or no private jet it would still have been illegal to leave unless he left before this lockdown started I think is the point people are making.

Archived