IGNORED

SL on radio bristol

Curr Avon

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

While I fully get where these posts are coming from, the fact also remains that we will have our preferred Rules, our preferred directions for the EFL, the League- all clubs do.

To enact or set up a Divisional rule change in the EFL is either 18/24 or 16/24- the Clubs in effect make the Rules and Regulations- can't recall which but one of those two is the minimum threshold. Think it used to be the first, now reduced to the second.

Therefore it is important to have a strong voice there. Not only your voice as a club but to lobby- to take others with you. I imagine for example we have been quite vocal on wanting stronger enforcement on e.g. FFP.  Especially two years ago after the debacle when varied clubs sold and leased back Stadiums, other fixed assets- and one even went up before a proper EFL Investigation!?

Now we can stand up and say that- but we need to convince before 17 and now it might be 15, but anyway a lot of other clubs on rule changes and probably rule enforcement. We were probably also quite vocal about the Salary Cap issue but that seems to have stalled- back to the drawing board to some extent.

Point is though, you don't get really get your way as a club unless you take the right number with you- assume Ashton like all other CEOs will be lobbying hard on certain matters. Unsure how much credit we can give him for it, if any at all but the EFL seem to be looking at clubs much more strictly on FFP for example.

Oh yeah and his position on the EFL Board. An idea coming from a Board member at a club is likely to carry more weight, potentially. Why? Because the other clubs voted to put that Member there, for whatever reason. See also Howe at Reading, Pearce at Derby for Championship EFL Club Board Members and can't recall who else.

Fair and good points Mr Pop 

8 hours ago, Gilli74 said:

So while we are going through all this mess, apparently the chairman, Lansdown Jnr is in the Caribbean ‘Persuing Personal Interests’ 

What on earth is JL doing there? What could he possibly be doing there that’s so important whilst there’s a global pandemic which requires everyone’s buy-in to tackle. 

It really is a different rule book for the mega rich.

17 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think Appleton is a racing certainty - and I am not joking.

There’s a lot to be said for Appleton.  He fits the development model, has experience and is presently very successful.  I think people are put off by his rather baleful appearance, but you’ve got to respect his record at Oxford and Lincoln.

Nothing in that interview suggests to me that we have an Owner who will ever bring us Premiership football. That isn’t a massive issue for me right now. I just laugh at the fact that people continue to hang on the words of a Billionaire who, when it comes to football as opposed to investing money, is full of shit. Hindsight my arse????

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

There’s a lot to be said for Appleton.  He fits the development model, has experience and is presently very successful.  I think people are put off by his rather baleful appearance, but you’ve got to respect his record at Ocford and Lincoln.

What’s he done at Championship level?

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Very poor ethically. To tackle the pandemic requires everyone’s buy in. Just because you can afford to break the rules financially shouldn't mean you’re beyond them. 

It’s very possible JL set off prior to the lockdown - we don’t actually know when he went.

10 hours ago, pongo88 said:

We’ve missed the boat on a lot of managers in the last few years. 

Ivor, I hope you’ve discovered the secret of long life, because Bristol Sport is here to stay. The days when football clubs had a proper board of directors with a chairman have gone except, perhaps, at lower league level. Now clubs are bought by one man (it always seems to be men) who has a few million / billion to throw around. It’s their money so, not surprisingly, they want total control.  SL appears to have given control to Ashton, but he still has the power to sack him at a moment’s notice  WE HOPE

Pongers, corrected that for you !!!

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

Me neither as he’s probably on the phone to Appleton as we speak ??

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

After listening to that, I’d say that as a maximum, he has the two games this week to turn things around - SL sounded royally fed-up!

Wouldn’t be surprised if City were already sounding one or two potential replacements out now.....just hope that one ain’t Mr Appleton.

One things for sure, if Holden goes, we can’t leave it 6 weeks to find his replacement!!!!

25 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think Appleton is a racing certainty - and I am not joking.

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

There’s a lot to be said for Appleton.  He fits the development model, has experience and is presently very successful.  I think people are put off by his rather baleful appearance, but you’ve got to respect his record at Oxford and Lincoln.

Why all the Appleton suggestions all of a sudden? 

Since Ashton has been on board, we have had to hire 2 new coaches - Johnson and Holden. If he wanted Appleton in that much, he'd have done it before now. 

I don't like Ashton as much as most on here, but suggesting Appleton is just another reason to throw stick towards Ashton. We don't need another stick to throw, there's enough as it is!! Covid would have been the perfect excuse to get him in. It wouldn't wash, nor happen now.

As for JL being in the Caribbean - perhaps he's got himself a job lined up and ended up being stuck over there!

16 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

All smells wrong to me, somebodys getting the bullet i reckon.

Gone to escape the flak.

I would imagine that both MA, and JL to some extent, hung their hats on the appointment of Holden. Their necks are on the chopping block. And given the relative defence of MA by SL, perhaps JL is being prepped for a quiet move out under the guise of other interests. As you say, someone has to take the wrap. And love or hate MA, he undoubtedly contributes more than JL. 

Got to love some on here desperate to beat the lansdowns with anything

One minute JL does nothing but design the shirts next minute outrage he is not at AG sorting out the mess.

We don't know if the comment is accurate, does personnel interest mean holiday or personnel non club related business interest which wold be legal, did he go before lockdown.

Would have thought most would have heard of zoom and other video confetencing systems which means he is not chained to AG

Sorry all a bit pathetic

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Got to love some on here desperate to beat the lansdowns with anything

One minute JL does nothing but design the shirts next minute outrage he is not at AG sorting out the mess.

We don't know if the comment is accurate, does personnel interest mean holiday or personnel non club related business interest which wold be legal, did he go before lockdown.

Would have thought most would have heard of zoom and other video confetencing systems which means he is not chained to AG

Sorry all a bit pathetic

The point is surely that a hash is being made of things - and since the Lansdowns run the whole show and make all the decisions the buck stops with them. No one obliged SL to buy the controlling stake in Bristol City - or put his son in the Chair. 

SL is happy to parade around the pitch when things are going well and gets roundly applauded for it. No one is desperate to beat them - we'd like them to be doing well, we'd all benefit from a bit of competence. The club is currently a bit of a shambles.

In the Caribbean 'pursuing personal interests' - I mean right now his worst enemy couldn't come up with a more poisonous line than that!

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

The point is surely that a hash is being made of things - and since the Lansdowns run the whole show and make all the decisions the buck stops with them. No one obliged SL to buy the controlling stake in Bristol City - or put his son in the Chair. 

SL is happy to parade around the pitch when things are going well and gets roundly applauded for it. No one is desperate to beat them - we'd like them to be doing well, we'd all benefit from a bit of competence. The club is currently a bit of a shambles.

In the Caribbean 'pursuing personal interests' - I mean right now his worst enemy couldn't come up with a more poisonous line than that!

You are correct its a very poisonous line (which we do not know the accuracy or detail), and who ever give both those comments to Gregor was very malicious and in the inner circle within the club. If from DH after the press conference then may know he is out anyway only a case of when.

SL came on the radio and is obviously very involved with what's going on and JL can easily be a party to it.

14 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Mark (Ashton) gets a lot of stick from fans and its unjustified.

Works behind the scenes, with the Football League to protect our position

I thought a clubs position was decided by the number of points you score throughout a season?

I foolishly believed these 'points' were awarded to each club if they won or drew a football match?  Maybe I have it wrong.

I assume that MA and other CEOs meet up in some kind of gladitorlal battle to decide each clubs position each year?

14 hours ago, lenred said:

Some notes for anyone not heard it - verbatim where possible:  .....

...........  Can’t wait to enjoy our sport again have a beer with mates. 

Turnaround needs to start tomorrow at home - get out there and show what we can do. Pride in the shirt and the club and compete again. 

Bloody good and accurate piece Len , a lot of typing , done for others , with no benefit to yourself

Top Man

Archived