IGNORED

SL on radio bristol

Curr Avon

For anyone who missed SL's interview, it's online. I'm just catching up with it now.

He's pretty downbeat bordering on angry at times, IMO, aside from when he's talking about the Bears. 

"He [Ashton] will be looking at his performance, I will be looking at my performance". << That's part of the problem. There's no external scrutiny. 

"The only positive is that we're providing entertainment and keeping morale up". << Really? The performances were dire before the results nosedived. 

"The facts speak from themselves". << Yes they do, Steve. 

I think there needs to be a distinction made on JL and being in the Caribbean.

Ignoring the football, does it feel morally wrong that he’s there? Yep. He’s either flown out pre lockdown (so been there for six weeks) or flown out during lockdown. There’s very little that can’t be done remotely (all I’m thinking here is site visits) and it just smacks of one rule for one while the rank and file are locked down. Poor form, but doesn’t stop him “running” the football club. 

The point to separate is how he’s “running” the football club. Now, as above, it’s unlikely there is a “need” for him to be in the Caribbean on business since pre lockdown (again, most can be done remotely), so I’d have to assume he’s gone out more recently - particularly with a family at home. This is the bit I find a bit uncomfortable - we’ve been going down the toilet for a good few weeks, and the man in charge is deserting the vicinity. He’s allowed to be at the club for business, and I’d expect him to be to have informal conversations with players/coaches to gauge the mood.

So, I think in a “normal” circumstance with all running smoothly, of course he can run it from the Caribbean (the moral question of whether he should in Covid notwithstanding). This isn’t running smoothly so it’s disturbing that he’s bailed out. And that makes me conclude that a responsible chairman who - so say - has the decision should be onsite at any multi-million pound company during a time of crisis (which has been coming for weeks)

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wage cap won't be happening any time soon I suspect.

PFA got it blocked. Was reported within last couple of months a majority weren't for it.

Our wages were in line with income in 2018/19, about 100% of turnover. Exceeded it last season- wages alone.

Been coming. 

Needs to be a massive reshuffle end of season. 

Can't see us keeping any of the likes of Hunt, Weimann, Baker, Paterson etc. 

If I was Ashton:

Get Jokanovic in. Only manager good enough I'm aware of that has worked under a CEO/DOF effectively.

Give him the premise of avoiding relegation, to allow restructure in the Summer. 

Get rid of Roles and the medical team in situe and completely revamp the fitness team, ask Slav for reccomendations. Also allow him to bring two coaches of his choosing in addition to fitness reccomendations. 

Positions, in terms of recruitment need prioritising. Get the scouting team on it and and tell them not to league at league statistics from 2014 at this level and do some actual scouting. Look at League One/Two, Ligue 2, Europe. 

Promote Nurse to first team as left-back cover, same with regards to Owura Edwards, promising cup game times and appearances from the bench provided they train well, possibly breaking into the first team. 

If DaSilva is made of glass, sign competitive cover, which seems likely. 

Move Kalas to RB in place of Hunt - former played there at Fulham and solid defensively, gives us better balance should Hunt leave. 

Sign a CB on loan - ideally Benkovic imo. Promise game time. 

One or two signings where required, mostly up front. I.e. Jephcott. 

Look to sell Wells, trim a few development players who look less likely to make the grade, I.e. Janneh, Pring. Loan in a striker if needed to allow Bell and other further league exposure in L2. 

Reallocate wage budget overhead to transfer fees where applicable.

Set a target of mid-table in 21/22, with focus on player/team performances, with progression into top half / playoffs in 2023. Layout a fundamental project and identity with requirement of playing a high press and building the team for such a style, with emphasis on movement, giving the 2017-18 team as a template or idea of aim. 

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ignoring the football, does it feel morally wrong that he’s there? Yep. He’s either flown out pre lockdown (so been there for six weeks) or flown out during lockdown. There’s very little that can’t be done remotely (all I’m thinking here is site visits) and it just smacks of one rule for one while the rank and file are locked down. Poor form, but doesn’t stop him “running” the football club. 

The point to separate is how he’s “running” the football club. Now, as above, it’s unlikely there is a “need” for him to be in the Caribbean on business since pre lockdown (again, most can be done remotely), so I’d have to assume he’s gone out more recently - particularly with a family at home. This is the bit I find a bit uncomfortable - we’ve been going down the toilet for a good few weeks, and the man in charge is deserting the vicinity. He’s allowed to be at the club for business, and I’d expect him to be to have informal conversations with players/coaches to gauge the mood.

So, I think in a “normal” circumstance with all running smoothly, of course he can run it from the Caribbean (the moral question of whether he should in Covid notwithstanding). This isn’t running smoothly so it’s disturbing that he’s bailed out. And that makes me conclude that a responsible chairman who - so say - has the decision should be onsite at any multi-million pound company during a time of crisis (which has been coming for weeks)

This is exactly it. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

None of us know why JL is in the Caribbean - he could simply be on holiday, or given the poverty in many Caribbean islands working with local charities, including sporting charities........:dunno:

Many of us are aware that SL is a patron of other charities some in Botswana so its possible that JL is doing something similar  in the Caribbean and that’s not something that people like SL would mention in interviews.

Bit daft to do so in the middle of the football season when the board consists of one other director. 

I mean,who is actually taking any decisions here?

Can you think of any other large enterprise where at least 50% of the directors are absent during a time of crisis?

It reinforces the impression given, that in every way Mark Ashton actually runs the club from top to bottom. 

As long as Lansdown sr has faith in Ashton that'll always be the case.

SL always comes out when the fires are starting to rise. Predictable stuff. He did it for Cotterill (then he sacked him), Johnson (then he sacked him) and now Holden. There is no defence possible of Holden. A guy way out of his depth and so it is being proved. Not his fault but a failing of the recruitment process. There is simply no way he was the best candidate. 2 defeats this week and the trigger will be pulled. I dont think they will wait.  Ashton though is a different matter altogether. So many failed signings, almost glossed over by the large sales that have occurred. But, that money has not been wisely re-invested. There is nothing wrong with having a structure but fundamentally, the manager must choose the players and pick the team. I dont think either of those things are happening at City, which is why Holden is there. Lets hope this week will see positive results but I very much doubt it. 

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bit daft to do so in the middle of the football season when the board consists of one other director. 

I mean,who is actually taking any decisions here?

Can you think of any other large enterprise where at least 50% of the directors are absent during a time of crisis?

It reinforces the impression given, that in every way Mark Ashton actually runs the club from top to bottom. 

As long as Lansdown sr has faith in Ashton that'll always be the case.

Yes, and there is a chance that this coincided with the transfer window too,, which you would have thought the chairman might need to be around for?

2 hours ago, Red DNA said:

Strange how people laud Cotts (rightly so) for directing his team from a hospital bed whilst seriously ill yet can’t accept JL - might - be able to direct club business via this fandangled internetty thing from a distance?

Like a lot of people at the moment JL could be working from home, it just happens to be not Bristol or Guernsey and I doubt very much it matters where he is as most people on here think he does nothing at the club anyway!?

didn’t see @sh1t_ref_again post (too many pages to scroll through) but same sentiments. 

There is a fundamental difference. Cotts is not in hospital by choice but JL is in the Caribbean by choice “perusing personal  interests”. JL is supposed to be an employee of Bristol City earning, I assume, a decent salary. It’s extremely unlikely that in any other industry a full time senior executive could take time off, at a time like this, to pursue personal interests. It doesn’t matter whether he works from  Ashton Gate, home, or the Caribbean but he should be working for Bristol City. 

There may be a simple explanation - eg he only works part time for City but that would be just as bad 

The guy in charge of my company has been on hols to Dubai twice in the last 6 months, probably hanging out with all the other celebs,footballers(male and female, minor celebs, pop 'stars 'and everyone else who thinks they are more important than the rest of us. None of which seem to get the same level of abuse as JL.No one knows for sure why he's there.  There are people in this country and probably on this forum that have not followed the Covid rules properly. We had two apprentices who thought going to 'gatherings' was a giggle,after all Covid only affected the 'old gits'. We have people on this sight who will use any excuse to hammer our owners. They remind me of the type of people who run coins down the side of expensive cars to scratch the paintwork out of jealousy. 

20 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Been coming. 

Needs to be a massive reshuffle end of season. 

Can't see us keeping any of the likes of Hunt, Weimann, Baker, Paterson etc. 

If I was Ashton:

Get Jokanovic in. Only manager good enough I'm aware of that has worked under a CEO/DOF effectively.

Give him the premise of avoiding relegation, to allow restructure in the Summer. 

Get rid of Roles and the medical team in situe and completely revamp the fitness team, ask Slav for reccomendations. Also allow him to bring two coaches of his choosing in addition to fitness reccomendations. 

Positions, in terms of recruitment need prioritising. Get the scouting team on it and and tell them not to league at league statistics from 2014 at this level and do some actual scouting. Look at League One/Two, Ligue 2, Europe. 

Promote Nurse to first team as left-back cover, same with regards to Owura Edwards, promising cup game times and appearances from the bench provided they train well, possibly breaking into the first team. 

If DaSilva is made of glass, sign competitive cover, which seems likely. 

Move Kalas to RB in place of Hunt - former played there at Fulham and solid defensively, gives us better balance should Hunt leave. 

Sign a CB on loan - ideally Benkovic imo. Promise game time. 

One or two signings where required, mostly up front. I.e. Jephcott. 

Look to sell Wells, trim a few development players who look less likely to make the grade, I.e. Janneh, Pring. Loan in a striker if needed to allow Bell and other further league exposure in L2. 

Reallocate wage budget overhead to transfer fees where applicable.

Set a target of mid-table in 21/22, with focus on player/team performances, with progression into top half / playoffs in 2023. Layout a fundamental project and identity with requirement of playing a high press and building the team for such a style, with emphasis on movement, giving the 2017-18 team as a template or idea of aim. 

And herein lies the problem. Appoint Jokanovic and do his job for him.

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Pretty much what I said previously. "Business travel" is allowed I believe so unless JL's out there designing a new kit for the Reggae Boyz I have no idea what he can be doing, he's no "businessman" is he! 

7 minutes ago, fatchers said:

The guy in charge of my company has been on hols to Dubai twice in the last 6 months, probably hanging out with all the other celebs,footballers(male and female, minor celebs, pop 'stars 'and everyone else who thinks they are more important than the rest of us. None of which seem to get the same level of abuse as JL.No one knows for sure why he's there.  There are people in this country and probably on this forum that have not followed the Covid rules properly. We had two apprentices who thought going to 'gatherings' was a giggle,after all Covid only affected the 'old gits'. We have people on this sight who will use any excuse to hammer our owners. They remind me of the type of people who run coins down the side of expensive cars to scratch the paintwork out of jealousy. 

The reason your boss doesn’t get the same level of abuse on the forum as JL is obvious. Nobody has heard of him. Two wrongs don’t make a right 

10 minutes ago, Superjack said:

And herein lies the problem. Appoint Jokanovic and do his job for him.

I'm merely giving examples of what measures the club could take to reduce wages.

Rather than, recently signing overpaid wasters who are long past it. 

12 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Get Dr Gary O'Driscoll in from Arsenal; highly regarded in the game, make him an offer he can't refuse and get him to tear up the medical side of things & start again.

My biggest concern , looking at the wider situation of the Club as a whole and a lot of the perceived problems

Many would agree the medical / fitness / conditioning set up need resetting

Many would agree the recruitment team need resetting

Many would agree the Coaching Staff at First team level need resetting

Many agree the structure of the hierarchy needs ‘ addressing’ and 

The three crucial areas in a Football Club all need ‘resetting’ (And invariably major staff changes)

Firstly that’s not great and who realistically is going to do all that

Mark Ashton again ? (Many or most want him gone or have far less influence)

Jon Lansdown ?

Steve himself ?

Quite a frightening thought really , and concerns me more than anything, looking forward , when you consider how much may need an overhaul , -

that’s a s**t load of work, cost and key decisions , all at once too  , and who is capable of doing so ?

4 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I'm merely giving examples of what measures the club could take to reduce wages.

Rather than, recently signing overpaid wasters who are long past it. 

Promoting Nurse to LB and moving Kalas to RB doesn't reduce wages and is not (or shouldn't be) Ashton's concern.

4 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Promoting Nurse to LB and moving Kalas to RB doesn't reduce wages and is not (or shouldn't be) Ashton's concern.

Easier to recruit for a CB than a RB, and possibly therefore cheaper. 

The former (continued promotion of youth) is a definate concern that Ashton needs to monitor. He's CEO, he dictates the criteria by which any manager would need to operate within. Which is part of the problem at the moment. 

54 minutes ago, tin said:

For anyone who missed SL's interview, it's online. I'm just catching up with it now.

He's pretty downbeat bordering on angry at times, IMO, aside from when he's talking about the Bears. 

"He [Ashton] will be looking at his performance, I will be looking at my performance". << That's part of the problem. There's no external scrutiny. 

"The only positive is that we're providing entertainment and keeping morale up". << Really? The performances were dire before the results nosedived. 

"The facts speak from themselves". << Yes they do, Steve. 

No external scrutiny?? I think Steve, if you listened to the fans now and again you might find there’s been plenty of external scrutiny!

7 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

It would appear young Jon has bought a house and land in Bermuda (

(purchased in October)

https://www.gov.bm/theofficialgazette/notices/gn09032020

Great find

Not a bad holiday home ...

https://www.sinclairrealty.com/eng/sold/detail/345-l-132-1810200639551041/10-shell-point-road-st-georges-parish-hs02

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

It would appear young Jon has bought a house and land in Bermuda (

(purchased in October)

https://www.gov.bm/theofficialgazette/notices/gn09032020

I see. So the "personal interest" is a personal interest in avoiding tax.

None of this would matter so much if we had a sensible board, rather than a two-man-band who know bollox all about football.

Bring some folk who know about the game on as non-execs. 

Lansdown has mentioned the Barcelona structure.  Barca have a 7-man management committee which acts as a board of directors.  The chairman there is a former player.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Lansdown has mentioned the Barcelona structure.  Barca have a 7-man management committee which acts as a board of directors.  The chairman there is a former player.

Doesn't seem to have worked very well though - they are a basket case of a club at the minute. Finances shot to pieces, and an ageing team clinging to former glories. I went to the Nou camp a few years ago - was shocked at how run down it was, and i believe the rebuild has been put on hold.

I could do with a few days in Barcelona ?

Archived