IGNORED

SL on radio bristol

Curr Avon

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

It sounded very much like he was saying we can all be wise after the event, and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

No, Steve, Holden was a ridiculous appointment THEN, now and he always will be.

They should of appointed Chris Hughton when they had the chance!

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

When he said hindsight's a wonderful thing, what about some foresight.

Like signing Mawson after he suffered 2 lengthy knee injuries at Fulham in the past 2 seasons, only to suffer the same fate this term. Didn't they learn anything from Afobe's record. Why the risk?

Yup then signing has beens like Brunt. Doesn't help the financial situation at all.

28 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Who knows if Dean is going to come through and be successful, we're going to do everything we can to help him

Hindsight's a wonderful thing

Mentioning 'hindsight is a wonderful thing'  is his way of indirectly admitting they may have made mistake back then. 

You never really use this word unless you are talking about something you could have done better.

He fronted up which was good and it was the traditional vote of confidence from the owner that is required before a sacking. Listening to that I would agree that the change will come soon. He has now gone through the motions and will make the change because having to say that avoiding relegation is now the priority must hurt like hell.  

Just now, Top Robin said:

Mentioning 'hindsight is a wonderful thing'  is his way of indirectly admitting they may have made mistake back then. 

You never really use this word unless you are taking about something you could have done better.

Spot on.

And it reminds me of this...

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

14 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

We are going to lose a lot of money this year

We lost 10 million last year

The reality is we're losing an awful lot of money, its  a painful experience Ed

Best not sign old journeymen on top wages with no resale value or profit, Steve. 

Glad to provide some helpful advice. 

22 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Mark (Ashton) gets a lot of stick from fans and its unjustified.

Works behind the scenes, with the Football League to protect our position

I’ve not heard the interview , but what does Ashton do to protect our position? Not sure why we’d need our position protecting, only think I can think of is Brentford postponement?

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that Steve Lansdown's heart is no longer in Bristol City FC.

I personally didn't get that.

I got someone tired and frustrated. For me it was an honest interview and he was at least realistic about our predicament. 

Yes it contained some of the same soundbites and much of what we've heard before.

I just hope this time the penny will drop, covid/revenue will force hands, we need to be better at what we do, he admitted that. The money won't be there next season and perhaps this 'brush' with relegation form will be enough to force some action this summer, if not before.

We'll see. 

Some notes for anyone not heard it - verbatim where possible:  

Saturday a humiliation 

DH appointed for all the reasons we already stated. Works hard. Was a blue eyed boy at the start now needs to turn it around starting tomorrow 

DH knows the pressure he is under 

Situation can’t be overlooked. Injuries and COVID has caused issues. We were on target to move to the training ground in January but now we have to make do.

Hard programme we are experiencing.  Top players not available and we need them.  But no excuse for Saturdays performance as a fan but more importantly as an owner - we know where the money comes from (!)

Playing under too much pressure - injuries not managed as well as they could be - questions have been asked

DH going through a difficult period.  Tins had a good first season.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  DH put a good case forward for why he should be manager (ooops Head coach).  Rugby is different and has a different cost base.  Pat Lam is exceptional but before him Robinson didn’t work as well.  Football is different and Lam is the equivalent of Pep Guardiola.  

City take the lions share of the Bristol Sport money.  Lots of managers out there but Bears are different.  Promise supporters will be working hard to get to their position. We are all hurting. 

Williams would a good addition but hasn’t played.  Same with Walsh. People were happy with what we bought in the summer but hasn’t worked out atm. But recruitment is good but can always improve.  

COVID has allowed young  players to improve. Semenyo and Bakinson doing well. Under 23s showing how good we are at developing players.  

Chris Martin injury was a big blow. Wells hasn’t hit the form we expected.  No one can criticise for the investment made in the squad.  

MA gets unjustified stick from fans. Works very hard not just with us but also with the FL. MA deserves praise for what he has done. But will look at what we are doing - me and him. Will go for it again and get back on track. 

Started his tenure in league 1 and nearly league 2. Spent most of my time in the top half of the championship. Got an amazing infrastructure in place.  Changed from Lee to get us to the Prem. It’s a difficult patch at the moment but we will get stronger.  Hopes that we stay in the top half.  Need to sort ourselves out and win 4/5 games. Mathematically can still get to the Play offs but actually need to play better football and get safe and improve upon 12th. 

Future will take care of itself.  Need to get some pride in the performance and get as close to 6th as possible. 

No turnover apart from central funds.  Going to lose a lot of money this year. See what happens next year but it’s in the millions.  But I’m proud we are turning up and giving people live entertainment / sport to keep morale up. But the players and management and board and fans have to work hard to get our price back. Cardiff was bad enough and Watford was terrible. Need to get pride back. 

Misses the football, misses the action on the pitch and the fans banter (good and bad) and that social contact.  It’s tedious.  Can’t wait to enjoy our sport again have a beer with mates. 

Turnaround needs to start tomorrow at home - get out there and show what we can do. Pride in the shirt and the club and compete again. 

One thing that really pissed me off was the interviewers question on alternative experienced managers. He gave Lansdown such an easy out by suggesting that the club could have appointed Warnock or Pulis. Such a poor question and even Lansdown laughed at it. 

Lansdown did well to avoid Twentyman. 

5 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

You never really use this word unless you are taking about something you could have done better.

Of course they made a mistake. They appointed someone from the previous failed regime, who had no managerial experience and who has never won anything. It’s not hindsight it was b****y obvious.

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The overarching thing I got from SL there was the feeling of ‘I shouldn’t have to be ******* doing this again’. You can hear how fed up he is. Holden is absolutely a dead man walking imo

As the boss of all things he should be complaining to himself.

He can't blame Holden. Our manager was offered a job he was never destined for in the real world. 

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Feel much more confident that SL will not be letting this go on too long, hope MA is already sounding out replacements

2 minutes ago, M.D said:

That doesn't fill me with too much hope..

Whilst I see what you are saying, but the disaster that has been DH, there is no way MA is going to be able to not appoint a proven manager even if that means he has to change his own role or consider his position

Archived