IGNORED

Reading (H) - Tues 16th Feb 19:45 - Matchday thread

Match Polls  

325 members have voted

1. 1. What will the outcome be?

2. 2. How many will City score?

3. 3. How many will Reading Score?

4. 4. How many shots on target will we have?

5. 5. Do you WANT City to win tonight?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/16/21 at 19:46

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Agree, and hopefully that's what we'll see. It was a slightly tongue in cheek suggestion, but if we get another thumping (and I don't feel entirely confident that won't happen) then I think it would spell the end of his tenure - no 5 or 6 games more

I genuinely think he’s stuffed Dave

I think no wins in next two will suffice

I do feel sorry for the guy in many ways , but unless he leads a remarkable turn around in momentum and demonstrates we are back on track with any sort of plan , avoiding relegation will only save him until May

3 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

No inside information at all, but the likelihood of seeing sessegnon at LWB and Williams starting is high. If this is make it break for deano, let’s hope he doesn’t risk even more injuries by throwing players back in...

We were told after the u23's game that Sessegnon was still someway short of being ready, needing a game or two more with the 23's and almost certainly would have to be subbed off so can't see him being ready for 1st team duty. Shame for Sessegnon that the 23's game was called off today as that'll push his recovery back a week if we're determined to get the game minutes into him first.

If I were 'Deano' having had a think about what I've seen over the last few games and from whom, I would definitely be thinking 'pick a team with a future here'.  He simply can't trust the likes of Hunt, Paterson ,Fam, Mariappa and Lansbury.  Their hearts aren't in it.  He's made the age old mistake of assuming that he can trust the older pros but he can't - they have badly let him down.  For all the talk about injuries amd inexperience we had 9 players with 100+ league appearances starting on Saturday with really only Towler being truly inexperienced.  Any side should be able to carry one inexperienced player.

Bentley

Vyner  Moore Kalas  Towler

Semenyo Massengo  Bakinson Nagy    Palmer

Wells

In that line up I would instruct both full backs to sit in position much like Wright and Magnússon used to do for us.  Towler and Moore got caught up the pitch on Saturday and left space down our left.  Let's sit in.  I would also spend a lot of time making it clear to Nagy and Kalas what I expect in terms of leadership and protecting Towler at left back. Nagy would play inside left with Palmer given freedom to move off the left wing and link up play. Nagy's job would then be to offset this along with Bakinson.  That would give Towler 3 of our experienced players around him, 2 of which one would assume would help by making themselves available for passes forward.

12 minutes ago, The Bard said:

If I were 'Deano' having had a think about what I've seen over the last few games and from whom, I would definitely be thinking 'pick a team with a future here'.  He simply can't trust the likes of Hunt, Paterson ,Fam, Mariappa and Lansbury.  Their hearts aren't in it.  He's made the age old mistake of assuming that he can trust the older pros but he can't - they have badly let him down.  For all the talk about injuries amd inexperience we had 9 players with 100+ league appearances starting on Saturday with really only Towler being truly inexperienced.  Any side should be able to carry one inexperienced player.

Bentley

Vyner  Moore Kalas  Towler

Semenyo Massengo  Bakinson Nagy    Palmer

Wells

In that line up I would instruct both full backs to sit in position much like Wright and Magnússon used to do for us.  Towler and Moore got caught up the pitch on Saturday and left space down our left.  Let's sit in.  I would also spend a lot of time making it clear to Nagy and Kalas what I expect in terms of leadership and protecting Towler at left back. Nagy would play inside left with Palmer given freedom to move off the left wing and link up play. Nagy's job would then be to offset this along with Bakinson.  That would give Towler 3 of our experienced players around him, 2 of which one would assume would help by making themselves available for passes forward.

Personally wouldn’t have Towler near the team. That could damage him even more. Poor lads confidence will be shot. I’d go 451

Bentley

hunt.       Martiappa.   Kalas.      Vyner

Nagy  Bakinson  massengo 

Semenyo                                      Pato

Wells 

bloody hell that’s a depressing line up.

stay compact , stay in the game . Get a clean sheet , somehow 

58 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

No inside information at all, but the likelihood of seeing sessegnon at LWB and Williams starting is high. If this is make it break for deano, let’s hope he doesn’t risk even more injuries by throwing players back in...

If its make or break, and my career was on the line, I'd throw in whoever I thought could do the job tbh.

If Dasilva is fit enough for a full u23s game, I'd be selecting him tonight just for the balance he would give.

10 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Personally wouldn’t have Towler near the team. That could damage him even more. Poor lads confidence will be shot. I’d go 451

Bentley

hunt.       Martiappa.   Kalas.      Vyner

Nagy  Bakinson  massengo 

Semenyo                                      Pato

Wells 

bloody hell that’s a depressing line up.

stay compact , stay in the game . Get a clean sheet , somehow 

Managing a kid's team has taught me the value of ensuring your weak links have strong links close by. Playing Moore Massengo and Towler on the left was barking mad.  They are the 3 most insecure we have. Towler did well v Sheff U because He had Mawson and Williams close to him.

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

If its make or break, and my career was on the line, I'd throw in whoever I thought could do the job tbh.

If Dasilva is fit enough for a full u23s game, I'd be selecting him tonight just for the balance he would give.

With regards to any player and 23's vs 1st team its a different intensity to the play, with regards to FB we're talking about someone starting for us given our issues vs say Pato who could come off the bench for 20 minutes to build up, also long term injuries vs short term.

I was impressed with Reading last time we played them to be honest. Their front 3 were a real handful. 

If we concede early could be another embarrassing result.

Think tonights performance will show if Holden has lost the changing room or not. 

Still want us to win and always will. Won't be watching mind, gonna save myself a tenner and watch the champions league. 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

We were told after the u23's game that Sessegnon was still someway short of being ready, needing a game or two more with the 23's and almost certainly would have to be subbed off so can't see him being ready for 1st team duty. Shame for Sessegnon that the 23's game was called off today as that'll push his recovery back a week if we're determined to get the game minutes into him first.

we were told Sessegnon short of fitness / aerobic (something like that) levels, not that his hamstring wasn’t ready.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

we were told Sessegnon short of fitness / aerobic (something like that) levels, not that his hamstring wasn’t ready.

So at best its not pushed back a week, I'd still expect him to be with the 23's next week (Cardiff who incidentally have Tomlin playing for them atm today) before featuring for the 1st team

It all depends which team we put out tonight. Will it be the boys or the girls.  DH has had all season to instill some fight and determination into his team, so I can't see a lot changing since Saturday even if a few of the players have had their arses kicked (which of course a good human would never do).  I think we need to get rid af a few of the humans and replace them with tigers.

I would never wish us to lose, but if we see another 'can't be arsed' performance, then the boss is going to have to go, I'm afraid, though I do worry that anyone who has to pander to Mark Ashton might find themselves in a similar position.

On the other hand, if we do see a gutsy performance tonight, you might ask yourself where it has been for the test of the season. I'm not holding my breath though.

32 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I agree to a point, but if the the players breaks down after 10 minutes then you need to sub etc. So not of sure there is any real benefit, other than blind panic being eased.

We've looked less bad as a 4-4-2 over the last couple of months so I think we have to go with a variation on that tonight - making ourselves really hard to play through, and trying to ompensate for the weakness on the left side with an experienced player in there.  0-0 would be a good result given the hammering last outing and the massive black hole in confidence that must have left us with.  Back to basics time with a low block, denying any space in our half and hitting them on the break.  

Bentley

Vyner Kallas Mariappa Hunt

Bakinson, Landsbury, Nagy, Patterson 

Semenyo

Wells

The other option is to add Massengo in to a midfield 5.  

If we get a lucky goal on the break and somehow hang on to a clean sheet I'll be wearing that shocked 'what the **** is happening' expression that Holden perfected from the game on Saturday. 

5 hours ago, Roe said:

Well the players have shown time and time again this season that they can respond.  Like ummm that great 1-0 win away at Cardiff and the time we held on to somehow beat Huddersfield.  Really exciting positive times.  They're a good group of lads and will have had a good honest look at themselves in the mirror the last couple of years and can't wait to get back out there and show what they're about.  They haven't become bad players over the last 3 years and if you can't get up for a game against your local(ish) rivals then something is wrong..

Do you think DH gave himself a good look in the mirror wearing that ludicrous bobble hat he wore at the presser?

Most fans want to see good attacking football but if Dean Holden wants to keep his job he’s got to go dull. A 4 - 5 - 1 formation based on a defensive midfield and Wells as the lone forward. Keep it tight and hope to win 1-0. This tactic probably won’t work in the long term but it might delay the inevitable sacking for a week or two. (Personally if he’s going to be sacked I’d like it to be now to get a new head coach in ASAP)

Archived