IGNORED

Reading (H) - Tues 16th Feb 19:45 - Matchday thread

Match Polls  

325 members have voted

1. 1. What will the outcome be?

2. 2. How many will City score?

3. 3. How many will Reading Score?

4. 4. How many shots on target will we have?

5. 5. Do you WANT City to win tonight?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/16/21 at 19:46

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It will..............at season ticket renewal time. We know there are 9-10K that will renew come what may but that still leaves a lot of money up for grabs.

Not so sure, weren't we down to 'about 12k' from 14-15k the previous season?

It could be it's a large percentage of the 9-10k 'renew come what may' loyalists who are now saying they've had a belly full, and won't renew this time as a last resort to show how fed up and let down they feel. 

Personally don't think there will be anything like 10k renewals whatever happens. Even if Holden goes it will very much depend if the next choice is inspirational, and even then fans will wait to see some proof that the quality of football on offer is vastly improved.

We're not in much of a position to offer support - unless you believe in telepathy. In normal times there'd be a fine old atmosphere if we turned up and put in a battling performance. As it is I'll wait for the result. All you can do really.

We've been here before. Poor managerial appointment, bit of a slide, maybe a relegation, the Lansdowns get their act together, we bounce back...slowly...rinse and repeat.

The key to preserving interest - for me at least - seems to be to switch off for the decline bit and pay more attention when things are sorted out behind the scenes!

23 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Right. But that's doesn't mean he's never offered anything though?

If you're not going to pick players who have bad games you're not going to have a single player on the pitch - it's up to the coaches to get them performing, that's their job.

In my opinion Paterson just doesn't have it in him and is the last man you need in the trenches, it seems to me that him Fam have far more impact in a game when coming off the bench

33 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

But shouldn’t we all be desperately wanting 3 points to ease some concerns about our free fall , whilst confident that the hierarchy will still realise that all the underlying signs from DH is that he isn’t the right man and be looking to the next appointment , regardless of tonight’s and the results until May 

Exactly this.

The decision on Holden should have already been made whatever happens in the immediate future.

City desperately need the points tonight, and I hope (perhaps against hope) that we somehow get them.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Same answer as always for me - I want us to win, I always want us to win and I’d be delighted if Holden won tonight and then went on a rampage of front foot attacking football.

I’d also like to win the lottery, and have a five foot penis. That’s also not happening.

Cant foresee anything other than another defeat - maybe scoring one goal to give us something to build on. If we do lose, hopefully it’s the end.

The best result may be an abject performance scraping a draw, and Holden still getting the bullet.

Still, at least I’ve got a beautiful wife at home who got me a lovely valentines present.

(Went for 3-1 loss with 1 shot on target and wanting us to win)

Lee Johnson is at Sunderland now. ???

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

QG is next on my list after I've watched all 8 series of Spiral, also like you City need to lose tonight for the greater good

Snap! Also currently working through all eight Spiral series! I’ll almost certainly save myself £10 tonight, but whether I watch Spiral or OTIB still undecided! 

I never want City to lose. But I’ve observed that the length of the match day thread works in inverse proportion to City’s performance. On the basis that it’s up to two pages already I think we may be in for another hiding tonight. 

I personally don't think the result will determine Dean's tenure. Anyone can lose any game in this division. 

Tonight (and upcoming games) are all about seeing if the players are up for the fight and that Dean can get that reaction out of them. 

Injuries DO impact results. They should effect effort and application - even if depleted recourses mean we simply aren't good enough to pick up points. 

A failure to look like we are at least trying to turn things around tonight, or in any of the upcoming, very tough, next 5/6 games, and he'll be gone imo. 

That may well end with 1 more capitulation. 

It's sad, but whereas I was never one to want LJ gone, because despite "streaks" I had belief that recovery was around the corner - I can't see that coming at the moment and I think SL has made it pretty clear that it's last chance saloon for Dean to stamp his authority on the players - who I'm actually also feeling disappointed in (most, not all) 

They have let Dean down too many times, although his guidance clearly isn't working either. 

Sadly I picked 3-0 win for Reading and “don’t care”. The latter is not quite true but as far as I can see it’s lose-lose at the moment.

Win tonight and nothing happens to change the fundamental problems at the club except that we are slightly further away from the relegation zone. Lose tonight by anything other than a cricket score and SL still won’t pull the trigger so we have another game wasted against Barnsley before we see a change and probably another confidence-draining defeat before the club makes the necessary changes.

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Exactly this.

The decision on Holden should have already been made whatever happens in the immediate future.

City desperately need the points tonight, and I hope (perhaps against hope) that we somehow get them.

I think he has had long enough to see what sort of manager he is, even with unprecedented injuries and with having to keep to bubbles etc. For me Holden has made plenty of mistakes and not indicated he could actually take us on from LJ. Lansdown did not sound too pleased in the interview and even though he is a very loyal Boss, he has to have doubts. Even Johnson managed progress during his spell , all be it with the same sort of entertainmentless football.

Given we had a month of vigorous ? searching, before we stumbled across Dean, the Board must have had discussions. Also with what has transpired I would hope they see the benefit in experience for a manager. Not sure who would be interested now, but the usual rules apply. If a manager is out of work, he'll take it.
I would hope we have learned from the recent past and set our sights accordingly .

*cough !

Paul Cook

46 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Blimey, if they didn't down tools on Saturday then I would love to see them properly down tools...........that would be something worth seeing at least once just to say you saw it.

Taylor Moore has had a gazillion chances and all he has demonstrated is he simply does not have the concentration levels to play Championship football to the consistently required level. You could sense that Tinnion is sick and tired of the guy being told what he should be doing and straight up failing to do it. He is a liability and should be nowhere near a starting XI or bench imo. I got shouted down about 12 months ago for suggesting he was making no improvement and, if anything, he's going backwards at an alarming rate. Fam, on the other hand, does have the ability but any manager who picks a player in the squad WHO HAS GIVEN ABSOLUTELY **** ALL FOR FOUR CONSECUTIVE MATCHES literally has no bollocks and will be humiliated by the players in any event because don't think for a second they don't realise that Dave is taking the piss. They will know better than anyone. There's people out there like Zav Vyner, HNM and Tyreeq Bakinson  trying to forge careers for themselves and they will know full well what is happening in front of them. There will also be players like Nakhi Wells justifiably moaning like a bastard on the sidelines because, rate him or not, he would give more than Fam has lately.

Thing is Moore keeps getting played on the left of 3 and isn’t comfortable there. Any mistakes he make are down to the manager playing a player in an unnatural position.

Zak Vyner switches off every game and whilst he was in midfield him letting runners go past him and stupid passes to the opposition were not being punished as much due to the defence getting him out of trouble. Back in defence his usual stupid pass/switching off is punished by Watford second goal.

Vyner and Moore both switch off during games it just seems as Moore plays out of position he’s picked on more than Vyner. Play Vyner on the left and Moore on the right and see how they perform. Moore played well at Sheffield Utd but was on the right of the defence.

Management need to look at the line up and decide is it worth constantly playing a player out of position and destroying his confidence by playing 5 at the back. 

43 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Snap! Also currently working through all eight Spiral series! I’ll almost certainly save myself £10 tonight, but whether I watch Spiral or OTIB still undecided! 

I never want City to lose. But I’ve observed that the length of the match day thread works in inverse proportion to City’s performance. On the basis that it’s up to two pages already I think we may be in for another hiding tonight. 

The old bill in spiral are like a throwback to our finest in the '70's, they put Reagan and Carter to shame,

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

There's been a huge amount of talk now but I don't even think a "performance" without a result will be good enough tonight. A draw will buy him another game.

My prediction is a similar pattern to Watford - they will look for the confidence destroying early first goal: either by hitting us hard early on, or letting us come and have a go (which we need to do) so they can nick one on the break. 

Either way, if Reading score first, it's curtains. I just don't see a scenario where the players will have the game plan or confidence to get our first win against a top 6 team this season - so unfortunately I see another 2, or 3 -0 defeat tonight.

For me, I can usually come up with a game plan in my head that I think has merit, if only to at least see any semblance in it from what Holden has prep’d / implemented.

But at the mo, I cannot come up with anything.  The absence of a LB is damaging, albeit the issues are wider / bigger than that.

Earlier this season, although I thought Reading were good on paper, I saw us at competitive against anyone.  Now when I look at tonight’s match, I see a gulf between the two sides.

Id like to sit here and say, “we won’t see another 6-0 tonight, there will be a reaction”, but that’s football fan logic / hope only.

I don’t think it matters who Holden puts out tonight (I’m not talking stupid selections), much will depend on their motivation, both from Holden and personally.  It’s a lottery really.

Pretty sad state of affairs.

13 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I wonder if DH is in any mental state to make any rational decisions at all for tonight

Given he played a left side of , an out of position Academy product in his first League game, and an out of position CB still not a regular at this level, against possibly the best wide player in the division, I'd question what it was like before. 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me, I can usually come up with a game plan in my head that I think has merit, if only to at least see any semblance in it from what Holden has prep’d / implemented.

But at the mo, I cannot come up with anything.  The absence of a LB is damaging, albeit the issues are wider / bigger than that.

Earlier this season, although I thought Reading were good on paper, I saw us at competitive against anyone.  Now when I look at tonight’s match, I see a gulf between the two sides.

Id like to sit here and say, “we won’t see another 6-0 tonight, there will be a reaction”, but that’s football fan logic / hope only.

I don’t think it matters who Holden puts out tonight (I’m not talking stupid selections), much will depend on their motivation, both from Holden and personally.  It’s a lottery really.

Pretty sad state of affairs.

That left side is a killer, for and against.

The only thing I can come up with is;
Hunt moves to LWB, Mariappa to LCB. Play Kalas and Vyner as the rest of a 3 and TM in RWB or reverse Vyner & Moore .
I wouldn't worry too much about the WB's getting too far forward . Play a MF of Williams/Nagy/Lansbury and Semenyo off of Wells. Thinking there could be movement up front and that looks a decent midfield . Keep solid for a while and grow into the game.

They are another team like Watford that can be quick incisive and dynamic on the ball, but I think they can be got at. We have to keep the ball for that to happen, we just haven't done that.

After listening to Dean and Steve interviews yesterday. The fact Dean said he is going with the same group of players, i am going for;

A great reaction  from the players.

A perfect hat trick from Antoine.

3-0 up at half time.

I don't want to talk about the second half its to upsetting.

Dean is sack at midnight.

Tomorrow Steve says we cant waste time appointing on a Manager. So i have acted swiftly and appointed a manager who i am sure the fans will want to get behind and push us up the table where we belong and that man is Mark Ashton.

You wait and see that i am not wrong, you were told here first.

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

7-0?

Well that would clearly suggest no marked improvement. 

What I mean is, battling well, doing all we can and putting 100% into the game is required. If that leads to a defeat, but signs of a reaction are there, then simply not being good enough, or being unfortunate, are very different to lack of effort or application - which is untenable. 

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

God I feel bad picking the “no” option on the last question, but it’s for the greater good (“greater good!”). 

I should never want us to lose, but then as a supporter I should never have to be in this position. I wonder how much time and progress we lose owing to SL’s procrastination?

While the game is on I shall be watching the Queens Gambit. Wholly recommended to anyone who’s not yet watched it. 

I’ll be watching the game personally but I have to say...

Queen’s gambit is incredible. Never thought I’d be that invested in a show about chess!

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Well that would clearly suggest no marked improvement. 

What I mean is, battling well, doing all we can and putting 100% into the game is required. If that leads to a defeat, but signs of a reaction are there, then simply not being good enough, or being unfortunate, are very different to lack of effort or application - which is untenable. 

Agree, and hopefully that's what we'll see. It was a slightly tongue in cheek suggestion, but if we get another thumping (and I don't feel entirely confident that won't happen) then I think it would spell the end of his tenure - no 5 or 6 games more

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Agree, and hopefully that's what we'll see. It was a slightly tongue in cheek suggestion, but if we get another thumping (and I don't feel entirely confident that won't happen) then I think it would spell the end of his tenure - no 5 or 6 games more

Of course, I fully agree with that. 

I just don't think a narrow, harsh, defeat will necessarily cause the axe to fall, as long as there's a marked reaction and signs of significant improvement. 

However, with the upcoming fixtures, including Barnsley, who are flying now, I can't see us getting anything like the improvement needed for Dean to still be in situ in a week or twos time. 

Archived