IGNORED

Who?

Greedo

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think re: Lampard you’re confusing who the board would want with who fans want.

I don’t think he’d be the fans first choice, but our board clearly favour a certain type. He fits the mould and we went after Gerrard last summer.

Arguably some of Howe’s greatest success at Bournemouth was when they didn’t have money. 

Yeah, possibly. 

I'll back whoever is next, until they prove themselves to be the wrong one for us. 

I just can't see Lampard being anywhere near in our ball park of realistic targets, having just left Chelsea. He's "A list" now. We are probably having a fumble with a geriatric Demi Moore, at best...! 

Of course Howe can point to an impressive CV, he might be amazing here. I'm just not convinced that lower league promotions (years ago) and then being part of a regime that cheated their way to the Premier league (however well they did there for a few years, once they had that income) it's a big risk and he'll be a costly one, if it ends up being another Burnley, for him. 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yeah, possibly. 

I'll back whoever is next, until they prove themselves to be the wrong one for us. 

I just can't see Lampard being anywhere near in our ball park of realistic targets, having just left Chelsea. He's "A list" now. We are probably having a fumble with a geriatric Demi Moore, at best...! 

Of course Howe can point to an impressive CV, he might be amazing here. I'm just not convinced that lower league promotions (years ago) and then being part of a regime that cheated their way to the Premier league (however well they did there for a few years, once they had that income) it's a big risk and he'll be a costly one, if it ends up being another Burnley, for him. 

With Lampard it would depend how much we’d pay him and whether we could sell the club.

He won’t get another Prem job anytime soon I don’t think. Championship is where he’ll need to prove himself. 

I wouldn’t particularly want him, but SL clearly likes England players from that era when he and JL followed England at Germany 2006 (Gerrard, James).

3 hours ago, Greedo said:

So if Deano were to get (please, god) the boot after tonight’s game, who would you want in to replace him?

Unlike the summer when LJ left and there seemed to be a variety of possible candidates, it feels like there’s rather more slim pickings now in terms of both available managers and managers who are in post at other clubs that we might be reasonably equipped to poach. 

For me I like what Ismael is doing at Barnsley, and we’ve shopped for managers at Oakwell before. 

(Apologies if this has come up in one of the larger threads already & I've missed it, please mothball in if so.)

Nice. Almost like people have forgotten there are real people involved. I think a defeat tonight will signal the end for Deano, but I will as disappointed for him as I am for any Manager that does their best for this club.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Nice. Almost like people have forgotten there are real people involved. I think a defeat tonight will signal the end for Deano, but I will as disappointed for him as I am for any Manager that does their best for this club.

Real people who are of course well compensated for their time, and who are well aware of the rather cut and thrust, results business they are entering into when they sign the dotted line. 

Dean has my sympathy, he’s given it a good go at a difficult time, and I’m sure, all jokes aside, that he is indeed a “good human”. But Dean losing his job isn’t quite the same as, say, a barman or a retail worker losing theirs. 

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

With Lampard it would depend how much we’d pay him and whether we could sell the club.

He won’t get another Prem job anytime soon I don’t think. Championship is where he’ll need to prove himself. 

I wouldn’t particularly want him, but SL clearly likes England players from that era when he and JL followed England at Germany 2006 (Gerrard, James).

I honestly think that has nothing to do with it. Surely they were just there as fans..? 

I think Lampard's stock is a little higher than that and he'd be looking at a kind of Southampton, Palace, Newcastle, West Ham type job as suitable, unless no offers come his way, then I guess he'd have to look at the Championship again. 

4 hours ago, Greedo said:

So if Deano were to get (please, god) the boot after tonight’s game, who would you want in to replace him?

Unlike the summer when LJ left and there seemed to be a variety of possible candidates, it feels like there’s rather more slim pickings now in terms of both available managers and managers who are in post at other clubs that we might be reasonably equipped to poach. 

For me I like what Ismael is doing at Barnsley, and we’ve shopped for managers at Oakwell before. 

(Apologies if this has come up in one of the larger threads already & I've missed it, please mothball in if so.)

Mick McCarthy.....oh!!! Watch Cardiff go next year

10 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Two words...Michael Appleton

Would that be the Michael Appleton who currently has his Lincoln (LINCOLN) side top of league 1, but people wouldn't want because despite his current success, he knows MA, so is to be ridiculed for no other reason..? 

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I honestly think that has nothing to do with it. Surely they were just there as fans..? 

I think Lampard's stock is a little higher than that and he'd be looking at a kind of Southampton, Palace, Newcastle, West Ham type job as suitable, unless no offers come his way, then I guess he'd have to look at the Championship again. 

That’s fine if you think that, obviously they were primarily there as fans. It’s putting 2+2 together after David James and the courting of Gerrard. I don’t think it’s a coincidence they all happen to be from that England team era.

I suppose those are possible, depends how quickly he wants to get back into management.

I don’t necessarily think we’d get him even if we tried - my point is I think the board would fancy him. They’d love a media friendly marquee appointment like him.

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Would that be the Michael Appleton who currently has his Lincoln (LINCOLN) side top of league 1, but people wouldn't want because despite his current success, he knows MA, so is to be ridiculed for no other reason..? 

It's worth looking at Appleton's record, there might be other reasons people are negative about him.

This group of players need a kick up the proverbials, on which basis Nigel Pearson to the end of the season would seem to be the best shout. Wouldn’t be SL’s favourite and could eat MA alive, which all in all makes him the perfect candidate for us for the next 3 months!

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Lowe would make a lot of sense. Same system that our squad was built to play this season. Plays young players. Results have been very good, promotion and now a good league position.

I think (without knowing the guy at all) that he might also be more likely to be willing to work with the Ashton recruitment system. He may not, but seeing as it seems like Ashton is going nowhere I think we have to account for that. 

Others have pointed out that Lowe signed a new contract with Plymouth last week, so for now he is probably not realistic. But if in a year or two the stars align and we have a vacancy when he is available, I think he'd need to be seriously considered.

I think people will be in for a real shock when Holden gets the boot. I don’t think the job is as attractive as it was last summer.

Cook/Hughton/Neil - already turned down the job apparently.

Gerrard - about to win the league the league with Rangers for the 1st time in years. He will have one eye on the Liverpool job.

Lampard - been managing in the Champions league, will get a Prem job.

Pearson - just not a Lansdown appointment. Will get a job in the Prem firefighting or a big ex Prem team in the Championship.

I think realistic we will be going for a Lowe/Ainsworth type who’s had a bit of success but won’t demand total control.

Total pipe dream but, for me, Mark van Bommel. 

- Worked extensively with youth teams
- Used to the whole Director of Football/Whatever-it-is-Ashton-actually-does role, so won't complain too much if he stays out of his way
- Nice attacking 433 which, even if the aim is just to stay up will be better than watching this dross
- Extensive contacts in the game
- Carries the gravitas to give these boys a kick up the harris and start playing for their shirt
- Gives the fans a big (-ish) name to get behind

37 minutes ago, Creg said:

Total pipe dream but, for me, Mark van Bommel. 

- Worked extensively with youth teams
- Used to the whole Director of Football/Whatever-it-is-Ashton-actually-does role, so won't complain too much if he stays out of his way
- Nice attacking 433 which, even if the aim is just to stay up will be better than watching this dross
- Extensive contacts in the game
- Carries the gravitas to give these boys a kick up the harris and start playing for their shirt
- Gives the fans a big (-ish) name to get behind

Was the leftfield choice last time around. Wonder whether he was interviewed.

Absolute scandal that we passed up McCarthy and Hughton when available.

1 hour ago, Henry said:

I think people will be in for a real shock when Holden gets the boot. I don’t think the job is as attractive as it was last summer.

Cook/Hughton/Neil - already turned down the job apparently.

Gerrard - about to win the league the league with Rangers for the 1st time in years. He will have one eye on the Liverpool job.

Lampard - been managing in the Champions league, will get a Prem job.

Pearson - just not a Lansdown appointment. Will get a job in the Prem firefighting or a big ex Prem team in the Championship.

I think realistic we will be going for a Lowe/Ainsworth type who’s had a bit of success but won’t demand total control.

Thank you for bringing some realism to this thread. 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Simmo!

5 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

With the age old football nicknames seemingly ending in O, Y and S, shouldn't Simpson be Simps? I dunno, I'm just bored!

Maybe he meant this Simmo. By all accounts a feared and brutal tough tackler in those notorious five-a-side games during the London Calling sessions.

Oh, I would pay good money to watch that shithouse psycho crazy gang football team ?

simonon_4.jpg

Archived