Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Holden officially confirmed as being sacked


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

The team needed strong action when things were slipping under LJ. Holden was a terrible appointment, anyone with an ounce of intelligence would never have made that call. But, and this is the issue, it is not only about LJ and Holden, the malaise is heavily connected to our terrible recruitment over the last few years. We are left with an unbalanced, injured.., out of contract, ageing squad and a club with no ethos or strategy, so it is completely rudderless and has been for 4 years. Who really wants to come into the club as it is set up today ? This should have been actioned 2 seasons ago, now we are reacting, and that is a position of weakness. Whilst you cannot change everything in one go, the recrutment team and those responsible for it, if that is Ashton so be it, but they all need to go. The situation is that serious. It will need someone with great vision , a clarity of vision, to turn this around. Trying to find, attract, and install all of these changes in one go is almost impossible., but the next appointment needs to be inspired. These last years have been painful to watch, the greatest opportunity in decades slipping through our fingers. But, that has now gone, it is the quality of the next decisions that will shape all. We have not been so good at these tough ones, but I hope Steve L has a Pat Lam moment for the football club now. 

The equivalent of a Pat Lam appointment or anything even close won’t happen because that would immediately undermine Ashton. And he’s the one in charge of appointing Holden’s successor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So the man to “take us to the next level” was in fact not the right man for the job.

Who knew? 🤦🏼🙄
 

Ashton has to fall on his sword now. The man is totally full of crap. 

 

Good luck to Holden for his future career. But totally the wrong appointment by Ashton and the Lansdown duo.
 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Taz said:

The thing is, you know we're going to get a repeat of the Gerrard situation from the summer, just change his name to Lampard. 

The fact that he did a half decent job at Chelsea, and will be out of our league will be ignored by the board as they'll persist in trying to get their "name".

Still being paid £75K a week for the remainder of his contract.

Erm, no chance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robbored said:

An age to appoint Deano, due diligence and all that and it still hasn’t worked - again.

MA and JL - please don’t be involved in appointing the next head coach..........:facepalm:

Well, if this Club had any footballing nouse they would have appointed a Director of Football months ago. He could have been sussing out our strengths and weaknesses and the best managerial fit for a seemless appointment.

Instead we’ll have the gang of three, led by recommendations from self-preservation Ashton, involved again... and what’s the likelihood of another disaster...high. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Thanks for the efforts Dean. Had my full backing and sad to see it go this way, but you gave your all and City are grateful. All the best for the future.

Bollocks.  He's a charlatan who managed to bluff his way to a job way above his capabilities.   Wish I had his severance package.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 3
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

The team needed strong action when things were slipping under LJ. Holden was a terrible appointment, anyone with an ounce of intelligence would never have made that call. But, and this is the issue, it is not only about LJ and Holden, the malaise is heavily connected to our terrible recruitment over the last few years. We are left with an unbalanced, injured.., out of contract, ageing squad and a club with no ethos or strategy, so it is completely rudderless and has been for 4 years. Who really wants to come into the club as it is set up today ? This should have been actioned 2 seasons ago, now we are reacting, and that is a position of weakness. Whilst you cannot change everything in one go, the recrutment team and those responsible for it, if that is Ashton so be it, but they all need to go. The situation is that serious. It will need someone with great vision , a clarity of vision, to turn this around. Trying to find, attract, and install all of these changes in one go is almost impossible., but the next appointment needs to be inspired. These last years have been painful to watch, the greatest opportunity in decades slipping through our fingers. But, that has now gone, it is the quality of the next decisions that will shape all. We have not been so good at these tough ones, but I hope Steve L has a Pat Lam moment for the football club now. 

Not just now. This is what Lansdown has always done. 

Employ Coppell. Get burnt. So internal "yes man" appointment followed by uninspiring appointments until he loses his way and lets his Chairman make an appointment. 

Turns out to be the most successful appointment in years, but also to be a nutter. So he puts his pet project in. 

Then, still mindful of the nutter, when that goes tits up, we are back to the nice guy "yes man".

Always reactive. Never proactive.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but I feel for him.

Started well but injuries,  and with covid19, he didn't get a fair chance .

If we didn't get rid , we would have been in a relegation battle.  

Lets hope the new manager will do better. 

Hate to think of the players not playing for him 😒 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have Tinman and Gilmartin running it until someone is appointed. Tins is a very different proposition to when he was manager here and both of them have been able to see the problems.

Who to take charge? You'll need experience. Out of work managers with championship experience off the top of my head.... Bilic, Cook, Lampard, Pearson, Moore, Holden (😉)... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The equivalent of a Pat Lam appointment or anything even close won’t happen because that would immediately undermine Ashton. And he’s the one in charge of appointing Holden’s successor.

That is why I said he has to have a Pat Lam moment. Steve L has it in him . We will see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fordy62 said:

Interesting to hear Mark Ashton walking round the pitch on his phone...

To SL? Or to a replacement? Wishful thinking to imagine it was SL firing him. 

I heard a wisper that it was Cooke he was speaking to. 

Any intrerest Fordy ?

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Bollocks.  He's a charlatan who managed to bluff his way to a job way above his capabilities.   Wish I had his severance package.

I agree 1000%. Took the job under false pretences. Can now do one, big time. 

He was just Yosser Hughes of Boys from the Black Stuff - "I can do tha', giss the job, go on, giss the job, I can do tha', I can do tha'".

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

In hindsight and on reflection it makes the last couple of days a bit of a soap-opera.

The press conference being embargoed

No players at the Press Conference and Dave Barton being all mysterious

Lansdown inviting himself on Radio Bristol and a lot of talk about “reactions” from Dean and Steve.

Turns out it looks like unless there was a massive change of direction he was given 90 minutes to save his job

If Dean did not know this then it is actually brutal from the board

If he did know it then the side he picked with basically 5 at the back and lack of spark means he went out with a whimper.

Can’t get my head around the chain of events.

Only in BS3.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...