IGNORED

Holden officially confirmed as being sacked

Yoyo2345

At least MA got one thing right, Dean Holden is a good human being. He is not however a proven, experienced Championship manager. Accordingly, his tenure didn’t last long and things went downhill quickly.

As many have noted our structure and the power and influence vested in the CEO totally conflicts with securing a fit for purpose manager. SL likes MA so he ain’t going anywhere.

So, hold on cos round and round we go again and again.

So two Bristol clubs now without a manager. Both guilty of going for bargain basement appointments and both paying the price.

But whilst Mark Ashton remains, I don't think things will improve and when season tickets go on sale, the chickens are finally going to come home to roost unless some bigger decisions are made other than just sacking the fall guy.

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The baffling thing is that surely, surely... DH hasn't told the players not to try and score goals.... 

What is the excuse for half decent, championship level players, to be such a lack of a goal scoring threat, week after week...? 

I mean, not even a 20 yard effort in anger, from anyone.... 

Surely that isn't instructed, so what's going on...? 

Wrong tactics, there's only so long you can keep backing the guys idea when you know they're wrong

I think looking back Holden was under pressure all season. Every win we got seemed like backs against the wall and avoid defeat at all costs in every Match.

When we'd win the punch in the air looked more like a thing of relief for him than joy at Winning. Didn't seem to be relishing his chance as a Manager, maybe down to knowing he was out of his depth and lack of experience.

I wish him well, a good guy, but should never have ever got the job.

59 minutes ago, mozo said:

Good post!

I think I'm on my own here, but I actually thought the lads put in plenty of effort tonight but it was just headless chicken stuff. lots of running, chasing, falling over, sticking legs out, jumping for headers, sending the ball long...but no direction or common sense. Mindless.

You beat me to it. I was gonna change my avatar to the despondent corner flag. ?

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

I do feel sorry for him on the basis he never had his first choice XI to work with and half the season was spent with a big chunk of the bench being academy kids out of necessity rather than choice limiting options, but was the right time.

This.

I wasn't happy when he was appointed with PS and KD, partly because of expectations created by the club (Houghton, etc.) but mainly because I feared that their appointment was related to a project based on youngsters (two formers England Youth coaches, financial problems due to Covid, etc.) and that it could have been a danger to have a mix of inexperienced players (maybe taken on loan from PL clubs too, but still inexperienced) and quite inexperienced manager(s) at Championship level. What I didn't predict was a massive injury crisis, more dangerous than a Youth Project and surely less easy to cope with....so even if Dean showed some limits, I think that it would be highly unfair to not consider the obstacles he and his staff encountered in the last months.

That being said...there were no sign of immediate reaction from the team nor signs of better results to come soon, so it was probably the right decision to make. Good luck Dean.

Finally, if Simpson will be confirmed as caretaker, I excpect it to be a temporary move...because exchanging Holden with Simpson would make little sense. I know that finances are a worry, but I hope that we'll be able to bring in an experienced manager (even with a short-term deal), someone able to take our dented ship to the port.  Like I wrote some days ago, I don't think it will be an easy task at all, because injuries won't magically disappear, maybe we won't find a LB, and so on...but any small improvement could be useful in our situation.    COYR!

2 hours ago, Mr Chappers said:

Feel a lot of sympathy for him, he put out his best side tonight, and we had a weak defence, little in midfield, so no service to the front and a kindergarten of a bench. Very hard to manage of you have a set of players that are not Championship standard as a unit, and struggle with so many games.

One of our great apologists

Seven Internationals (Five Full Internationals ) started that game tonight

You should contact Mark Ashton - he could do with some help in the excuses front

2 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Just all feels a bit disjointed.

Not as slick and self-consciously polished as the club likes to project.

Could be a restructure bigger than we think on the horizon.

Got a funny feeling we may go all out with the next guy. Otherwise why do it?

They have basically admitted they got it badly wrong and the next guy will require a change of structure for an external appointment.

Interesting days ahead. 

Apologies- I’m chiming on your great post as it goes to the lack of a plan or lack of commitment to seeing the plan through.

I’m really annoyed at the sacking. It’s so old school. Manager as sticking plaster for structural problems.

I was fine with the idea that we had over stacked the club with youth players with potential and so put the coach who knows them best in charge. With parachute payments/the impossible league plus a new coach it was always going to be a transition year. Add Covid and injuries.

Having cut costs and sold off the established players where are we without the coach who could bring the younger ones through?

Clearly we are now going forward with the next internal coach. We have one of those old cultures where you have sack your deputy because he is a threat to you position. 

I've gotta say that I wasn't too impressed with the appointment of Holden, but he seems a decent bloke and started off well. I think the big issue is the injury problem at the club right now. If we didn't have it, I think the club would be in a better position and Holden would still be in charge.

That said, I hope that they appoint someone the fans can get behind. My personal choice would be Cook - I think he did a good job at Wigan with limited resources, and I think he could bring in players to improve, which is what the club is aiming for. 

6 hours ago, bris red said:

Well we hate to say we told you so but how many of us knew full well this was a rotten decision back in the summer?

All the season ticket holders, all pay on the day supporters and everyone around the world who supports City. That's how many.

6 hours ago, Superjack said:

5 hours ago, Superjack said:

Employ Coppell. Get burnt. So internal "yes man" appointment followed by uninspiring appointments until he loses his way and lets his Chairman make an appointment. 

Turns out to be the most successful appointment in years, but also to be a nutter

Give me a nutter every day then.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

The baffling thing is that surely, surely... DH hasn't told the players not to try and score goals.... 

What is the excuse for half decent, championship level players, to be such a lack of a goal scoring threat, week after week...? 

I mean, not even a 20 yard effort in anger, from anyone.... 

Surely that isn't instructed, so what's going on...? 

people unhappy in their job will never give 100% to the cause regardless, the players must of been unhappy with the coaching and how they were being told to play, you can tell kalas wasn't happy with it months ago, once that sets in theres no turning back, you watch these same players spank the next couple of teams

20 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Out of interest who does Pearson usually bring as his assistant(s)?

Would be my first choice at the moment, certainly til the end of the season. Not sure long term unless he has become a bit of a calmer person following his Covid illness last year.

Craig Shakespeare

Archived