IGNORED

Steve Ego Lansdown

Dynamite Red

Will the big man stand up and make the call, sack Holden and Ashton and put us all out of our misery?

I expect nothing will happen and we slowly drop down the league putting on another shit fest, it's like a slow motion car crash. 

We can all see it. Lansdown will not be able to admit or accept he has made another awful decision, as his ego will not allow it. Buckle up because this going to get more painful every day and hour this wreck is allowed to carry on. 

Well the club is at a crossroads. SL needs to make some huge decisions and get them right. If we appoint another inexperienced coach/manager we will be just repeating the mistakes we are currently making and have made. I get the feeling that SL is running out of patience with supporters and that we should be eternally grateful to him and don’t dare judge his decisions. We need an experienced manager to come in do it his way sign the players he wants. With no interference from Ashton. Will he do it I very much doubt it because it’s what the fans want. 

19 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Will the big man stand up and make the call, sack Holden and Ashton and put us all out of our misery?

I expect nothing will happen and we slowly drop down the league putting on another shit fest, it's like a slow motion car crash. 

We can all see it. Lansdown will not be able to admit or accept he has made another awful decision, as his ego will not allow it. Buckle up because this going to get more painful every day and hour this wreck is allowed to carry on. 

Someone needs to stand up and say enough is enough, Steve cotterill layed the foundations for Johnson to push us on and he did to a certain extent he just didn’t have the quality/experience to quite get us there, the next appointment was probably the most important in our history and we reverted to type and royally ****** it up...who knows what we are going to do now but the odds say one of the other 2 muppets are currently preparing their speech to the press ?

SL has isolated himself.  Chairman gone awol, CEO part of the problem, non existent Board.  He now has to act decisively, bring in proper advisers to address appointment of CEO and Manager, and sack his son.

here’s hoping for first time in quarter of a century he does the right thing and pronto

4 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

We can all see it. Lansdown will not be able to admit or accept h made another awful decision as his ego will not allow it. Buckle up because this going to get more painful every day and hour this wreck is allowed to carry on. 

It's not possible that he could have made the wrong decision, he's never done it before.

I have always been a great supporter of Mr Lansdown but, he does make weak appointments. People say he's a successful businessman, well, I suppose his partnership was a success. He's an accountant, not a businessman in the likes of an entrepreneur. He's the one who follows the correct procedures, fills in the forms, finds the best investments, does the books. Hargreaves was the driving force in his partnership, he pushed the business on, Lansdown filed the reports on time, might have done some good investments but generally kept a tidy ship.

When he applied for PP at AV, he employed a form filler in Guy Price, he knew the system and what was required in the council application process. He knew nothing about fighting people that would bend the rules, call in favours, exploit situations and lie through their teeth. He didn't know or even try to find out the opposition against the plans and, when he did eventually find out, did nothing about them. He had JL assisting him and Pete Smith assisting the pair of them. They didn't do anything about the opposition when they were told and as such the opposition were one step ahead of them at every stage. There were meetings held by local people, groups formed that they were legally entitled to join, meetings held in surrounding areas and, they never went to or joined in any of them, to find out what the opposition had planned. Those three were nice people, who knew how to send in the applications and do it properly, they had no fight or gumption.

Move on to managers/coaches and the people to run the club and it's the same, university graduates without a bit of fight/gumption about them and no football knowledge whatsoever. We do everything above board and don't bend the rules not even a little, to gain an advantage. That even goes for the players, the most naive group of players that have been playing goody goody since we came up to the championship under SC. I did think that Holden was starting to bring a bit of skullduggery to the club, perhaps the players know he's not up to it technically and aren't doing their all for the cause. 

We haven't lost our weak under belly, it shifted for a while. We are now as weak as I've ever seen us, the club as a whole that is. Too nice, too settled, easy meat for anyone with a streak of nastiness professionalism in them.

That's our problem, pussies.

30 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I'm sure SL will make a decision soon if things don't improve, I don't think he's as attached to DH as he was to LJ. Giving DH a chance wasn't a bad call at the start what with COVID and everything but it hasn't worked out

I agree we’re absolutely at a crossroads. Holden and Ashton need to go, along with Simpson and Downing. I’d like to see that waster JL go as well but that won’t happen.

Going down the novice route again after Tinnion, Millen and now Holden won’t wash. It needs to be a relatively experienced manager/head coach. A DoF or sporting director also needs to come in and revamp the recruitment department.

21 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Makes no difference though does it. Steve’s inability to identify the qualities needed to be a top football manager has reached legendary status so what would be the point of replacing the manager. 

I think he knows exactly what's needed to be in place to get promotion.

Imo...his personality as a control freak stops him. It's his way...or nothing

1 minute ago, Red white and red said:

Lansdowns play thing.

”Its my ball and I say who plays”. 

if he sacks Holden, he only brings in another inexperienced gutless yes man who will conform. 

And that’s the problem - SL and wretched Bristol Sport  

I am not a happy bunny tonight

At 75 years of age and living on the Sussex coast think I may already have made my last expensive visit to Ashton Gate.

This is a very bad moment for me and many others I fear

40 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

The way he spoke about Ashton last night he won't be going anywhere after appointing holden smiler Ashton should bugger off he's ruining the club league 1 beckons next season if he remains 

8 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

And that’s the problem - SL and wretched Bristol Sport  

I am not a happy bunny tonight

At 75 years of age and living on the Sussex coast think I may already have made my last expensive visit to Ashton Gate.

This is a very bad moment for me and many others I fear

That's a very sad admission, I feel for you. Ironically, after 55 years of watching this club, I am feeling less inclined to bother turning up and giving all I've got in my support. This past year seems to have knocked the stuffing out of people. I'm angry as hell though at the moment, so I suppose there's still a bit of fire in my pit.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think he knows exactly what's needed to be in place to get promotion.

Imo...his personality as a control freak stops him. It's his way...or nothing

In the days when I made a bit a mischief by challenging Steve’s motives and moral authority to cancel the 25% share ownership rule and hive off the stadium. Steve invited me to his office in Clifton for a chat. In other words rein me in which at the time was never going to happen. In the event despite the apparent good things such as the revamped stadium I believe my fears were well founded and have been proven correct. 

But the point, with reference to your comment, is that during our chat I asked Steve,, what qualities he looked for in a football manager, because I was genuinely interested. I even made the point that in most careers a candidate can demonstrate technical knowledge or some other characteristic which shows their ability to do the job, whereas football by its nature doesn’t allow that. I was specifically referring to Steve’s decision to appoint Tinnion, a legendary player but not up to management. 

I was expecting a nugget of wisdom but the question was brushed over, and at that moment I realised, Steve has no more idea what it takes to be a top football manager, than the average football fan. 

57 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Well yes, he will.

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

In the days when I made a bit a mischief by challenging Steve’s motives and moral authority to cancel the 25% share ownership rule and hive off the stadium. Steve invited me to his office in Clifton for a chat. In other words rein me in which at the time was never going to happen. In the event despite the apparent good things such as the revamped stadium I believe my fears were well founded and have been proven correct. 

But the point, with reference to your comment, is that during our chat I asked Steve,, what qualities he looked for in a football manager, because I was genuinely interested. I even made the point that in most careers a candidate can demonstrate technical knowledge or some other characteristic which shows their ability to do the job, whereas football by its nature doesn’t allow that. I was specifically referring to Steve’s decision to appoint Tinnion, a legendary player but not up to management. 

I was expecting a nugget of wisdom but the question was brushed over, and at that moment I realised, Steve has no more idea what it takes to be a top football manager, than the average football fan. 

SL needs a coach who has gravitas, a presence, confidence but also experience . Someone who has been there and done it. He’s yet to appoint anyone yet with those qualities 

Steve, time to break the chains and go for Eddie Howe and his assistant Jason Tindall and give us some hope 

1 minute ago, NickJ said:

In hindsight...don't you wish you'd faced up. I'd jump at the chance...nothing to lose.

Let's face it... you're good at your career.. I'm good at mine...and SL is good at his...but decided to have a sideline hobby because he could afford it. Not because he had a wealth of knowledge in running a football club.

If we had his millions...we too could do the same if we chose.

SL is a wealthy businessman nothing more, nothing less. We shouldn't put him on a pedestal. 

You could literally be a nobody and win the lottery and take over a club with no knowledge. How many businesses run like that?

Not many.

Money talks...not knowledge.

I'd have been all over him like a rash...what's to lose?

The  problem is not many have had the balls to challenge what’s gone on.  

If you were to look back at this forum at the time you’d see I was all over it, not the short term relative insignificance of the manager, but the more fundamental issue of ownership of the club and the stadium. At the time I took a lot of flak by around 95% on here, taken in by the misleading information given out at the time, taken in as they were by the allure of a shiny new stadium on the false pretence propogated by Steve that Ashton Gate wasn’t financially viable. 

Archived