Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Michael Appleton Up Next

15 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Reading through the posts since yesterday it seems that a lot of people are warming to Appleton.

I just don't get it. Are we that down trodden that we just accept things now? I think we will just get another meh appointment but being happy about is another thing entirely. Is City such a bad option to attract a decent manager or is it down to the Muppetry that choose the manager? If it is to be Appleton, then there is no spinning me any argument that he is the best we can get or that he is the right appointment. I didn't buy it last time with Holden and I'm not buying it this time. City have already wasted this season. In my opinion after LJ the time was right and was an opportunity to take advantage of COVID rather than use it to excuse everything. That opportunity is here again and the appointment of Appleton or similar will be blowing that opportunity all over again.

Chris Hughton wanted the job last summer. He even publicly came out and put his name into the hat. That for me shows we are actually an attractive proposition. We all know who is the problem at this football club.

Edited by bris red
  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting, he didn’t rule it out at all. That wasn’t a categorical no. Tried to deflect the question and approach it from a different angle.

Judging from that, I’d say we are interested and have perhaps had early discussions.

It's not a categorical "no", is it? He had the chance to say, "I'm going nowhere at the moment, my commitment is to Lincoln" - but he skirted round it. Although he did talk about "finishing the job". 

Certainly not one of those interviews where you think, yeah he's off soon, but not one where you think, ah no way is he leaving. 

• Like 1

I fear that some of the posts on here will only encourage toxic Ashton to appoint his mate. I don't trust Ashton to get the right man for the job. His mate would probably jump ship and leave us in the brown stuff again.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

It's not a categorical "no", is it? He had the chance to say, "I'm going nowhere at the moment, my commitment is to Lincoln" - but he skirted round it. Although he did talk about "finishing the job". 

Certainly not one of those interviews where you think, yeah he's off soon, but not one where you think, ah no way is he leaving. 

He would be a proper mug to rule it out. City are in a rut and have questionable leadership at best. Despite this if he would turn City down to stay at Lincoln then we are in deeper sh!t than I thought.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, BigTone said:

I for one would be totally underwhelmed if Appleton was appointed.

Then that settles it , Mr Ashton tell your mate it’s off . 

42 minutes ago, bris red said:

Chris Hughton wanted the job last summer. He even publicly came out and put his name into the hat. That for me shows we are actually an attractive proposition. We all know who is the problem at this football club.

Robbored ? 

43 minutes ago, bris red said:

Got a link?        :dunno:

Thats not something I saw or read. I assumed that CH was on the fans wish list - he’s not exactly doing a great job at Forest either.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Thats not something I saw or read. I assumed that CH was on the fans wish list - he’s not exactly doing a great job at Forest either.

I reckon he is starting to turn it around at Forest, it was a bloody mess when he arrived. He seems to have got them organised and they look more solid than they did. He also got Glenn Murray in and I'm guessing if CH had got the job at City the he would have brought him here. I feel that would have been enough to get us top 6. As we all know, that ship has long since sailed!

1 hour ago, Dottie said:

Anyone else think that he may not join us until the end of the season after finishing the job at Lincoln? That’s the horrible feeling I had after listening to his interview. 

That’s what I thought too

I may be looking into this too much but the fact he is Ashton’s mate is the reason why I’m not keen on the idea. He could be the best man for the job, but it’s a bit of a coincidence he happens to be pally with MA...

”Jobs for the boys” part 5?

• Like 3

Again, I have absolute, 100% confidence it won’t be Appleton. The posts from Harry and Fevs re recruitment showed he actually got success after Ashton was no longer working with him, which reinforces this for me.

Take this from each parties perspective:

SL - Knows appointment would be toxic as “Ashtons mate”

Appleton - Knows that he would be working with someone who hampered as opposed to aided his success

Ashton - May find he’s dealing with a different animal in Appleton than did before

In no way do I see this happening.

• Like 4
  • Robin 2
11 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I may be looking into this too much but the fact he is Ashton’s mate is the reason why I’m not keen on the idea. He could be the best man for the job, but it’s a bit of a coincidence he happens to be pally with MA...

”Jobs for the boys” part 5?

I was trying to consider whether he'd be a serious name if no Ashton connection. Given his recent record, I think he probably would. L1 manager, promotion on CV, on the ascendency, worked in a few different situations (Blackburn, Blackpool, Portsmouth), highly thought of coach.. better career to date than LJ when he arrived in 2016.

I don't think he'd be so high up in the betting though. Probably hovering at 10 or 12/1.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Similarly Grame Souness was asked if he would manage a club again. He said: "players aren't frightened of you now, theres no jeopardy anymore.." 

Younger ones will be. Up and coming types. 

11 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but he does look like a proper **** doesn't he? 😂

Judge him by his accent, then, or his whereabouts - he's a bloody Manc, same as Deano! (And please don't bother with "Salford isn't Manchester"). Another beany hat, flared trouser, Spike Island mad fer it buzzin' fer the weekend Mancunian. Are we going to give everyone from the bloody Hacienda 1988 - 1992 a go? 

The only bloke in football that danced the night away in that place we burnt our bridge with when he was here and is now bossing Burnley.

Name one top, top football coach or manager from Manchester with a Manc accent? 

To go for one Manc may be regarded as a misfortune, to go straight to another .... madness! 

Hacienda that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11726/12034745/chris-hughton-bristol-city-in-talks-with-former-brighton-manager

It was reported by a few media outlets that he expressed an interest..

Edited by bris red
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Younger ones will be. Up and coming types. 

Judge him by his accent, then, or his whereabouts - he's a bloody Manc, same as Deano! (And please don't bother with "Salford isn't Manchester"). Another beany hat, flared trouser, Spike Island mad fer it buzzin' fer the weekend Mancunian. Are we going to give everyone from the bloody Hacienda 1988 - 1992 a go? 

The only bloke in football that danced the night away in that place we burnt our bridge with when he was here and is now bossing Burnley.

Name one top, top football coach or manager from Manchester with a Manc accent? 

To go for one Manc may be regarded as a misfortune, to go straight to another .... madness! 

Hacienda that.

I heard that Shaun Ryder has been shortlisted with Bez as his assistant. It's twisting my Micky Mellon, man...

• Haha 5
  • Flames 1

Appleton is who I expect. And it will be a kick in the balls imo. Purely because it would show lansdown has learned NOTHING. Employing Ashton's mate. Or "acquaintance".  

That alone would make it a disaster imo, because we will all know who is pulling the strings in terms of the day to day. We will go nowhere whilst Ashton has that power imo. 

We need another Cotterill. Its that simple. We need a manager. Not a damn head coach, a yes man. We need a manager. 

Isn't there a basic criteria to assess potential managers:-

1. Experience as a manager and a captain during playing days.

2. Prior experience leading a team to promotion from Championship into Premier.

3. has experience bringing new blood and fresh young players into a team.

4. Can establish values in a team and expectations.

5. Willing to challenge senior management ( Not a proven "Yes" man)

6. Ability to develop younger players.

Anything else?

13 minutes ago, ontariored said:

Isn't there a basic criteria to assess potential managers:-

1. Experience as a manager and a captain during playing days.

2. Prior experience leading a team to promotion from Championship into Premier.

3. has experience bringing new blood and fresh young players into a team.

4. Can establish values in a team and expectations.

5. Willing to challenge senior management ( Not a proven "Yes" man)

6. Ability to develop younger players.

Anything else?

1. He can existentially link the process driven recruitment and development streams into a hybrid pathway

2. He understands the myriad of nuances within a structured organisational pyradimic organisation

3. He demonstrates an ability to self-lead whilst modelling the ethical and relational goals within the aspirational strategy of the football franchise, sorry I mean club

4. As per the above, he can stomach working with MAs bullshyte

5. He’s a wonderful human being.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Lincoln fan here, living about 200m from Ashton gate....

I don't get the negativity here. Appleton is a fantastic manager, and Lincoln are currently playing their best football in living memory. He did that at Oxford too, and he also did a great job at WBA as no. 2 to Darren Moore. Sure, his first three jobs weren't great, but they were a long time ago and they were all basket cases.

FWIW though, I don't think he'll come. He had his fingers burnt at those three places, and didn't take a job after Oxford until he found one at a club with a decent management who cimed with his philosophy. He seems happy at Lincoln; he gets on well with the board and is clearly enjoying himself. He comes across as a man with a 2 or 3 year plan, and I think that includes seeing things through at Lincoln, and doesn't include jumping mid-season. I think the only time you'll see him next year is in the away dugout, and I look forward to that.

32 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

1. He can existentially link the process driven recruitment and development streams into a hybrid pathway

2. He understands the myriad of nuances within a structured organisational pyradimic organisation

3. He demonstrates an ability to self-lead whilst modelling the ethical and relational goals within the aspirational strategy of the football franchise, sorry I mean club

4. As per the above, he can stomach working with MAs bullshyte

5. He’s a wonderful human being.

You must be a Management Consultant or Project Manager 😂👍

Done a bit of digging on Appleton. He's recently become a father for the first time and his family are apparently still based in Manchester.

Speculating, but given these personal circumstances, the wider circumstances (pandemic) and the brilliant position he has got Lincoln into, I'd be very surprised if he was willing to jump ship and come to Bristol in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Done a bit of digging on Appleton. He's recently become a father for the first time and his family are apparently still based in Manchester.

Speculating, but given these personal circumstances, the wider circumstances (pandemic) and the brilliant position he has got Lincoln into, I'd be very surprised if he was willing to jump ship and come to Bristol in the next couple of weeks.

Good digging and hope you are right!

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree mate. I don’t see the stars aligning on this one. 
Steve knows it’ll cause huge upset. 
Ashton knows it’ll expose him. 
Appleton has a 5 year deal and a likely L1 title. 
I just can’t see it happening. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Think he’s thrown me out the pub a few times

Generally the look on his face is the one you get when you're walking upto a bar and one of your pals is trashed with no chance of getting in 

• Flames 1