Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Michael Appleton Up Next


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Blackpool and Blackburn; 12 and 15 games respectively so a tiny sample. Portsmouth already on a massive downward spiral and probably couldn’t be saved. Blackpool and Blackburn were both in a bad state too at the time for various reasons IIRC.

I wouldn’t want him and don’t think we will go for him - but we should look at full context of his stats. 

His most recent long stays - Oxford and now Lincoln - he’s got a very solid record, albeit at a lower level.

 

That’s the important part for me - there are a few managers at lower level that have / had good records but in my opinion we need to be moving away from this thought process and appoint someone with proven managerial experience / success at this level. 

There is no guarantee that appointing a Cook/Hughton/Warnock/Howe/Pearson would bring success but the risk of failure would be less than with an Appleton type appointment. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Globe Trotter said:

That’s the important part for me - there are a few managers at lower level that have / had good records but in my opinion we need to be moving away from this thought process and appoint someone with proven managerial experience / success at this level. 

There is no guarantee that appointing a Cook/Hughton/Warnock/Howe/Pearson would bring success but the risk of failure would be less than with an Appleton type appointment. 
 

Agreed. I think Ryan Lowe is a very interesting option, but it might not be the right time to take a gamble. If we wanted a lower league manager we should’ve done that last summer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Who would you see as a ‘nailed on messiah’ then? 

We’re a middling Championship club with Prem aspirations. We can’t attract managers with near enough a guarantee of success. Cook seems a sensible choice.

No manager in the world would guarantee success, but someone like McCarthy or even Warnock (not that I want him) would be more likely to improve us,points wise at least.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Globe Trotter said:

That’s the important part for me - there are a few managers at lower level that have / had good records but in my opinion we need to be moving away from this thought process and appoint someone with proven managerial experience / success at this level. 

There is no guarantee that appointing a Cook/Hughton/Warnock/Howe/Pearson would bring success but the risk of failure would be less than with an Appleton type appointment. 
 

SO'D was a proven manager at this level when we signed him (was OTIB's choice at the time), as were Denys Smith, Coppell, Pulis in the past but none could be called a success. It's all a lottery at the end of the day, Alan Dicks was our most successful and he'd previously been an assistant in Div 1 so not so different from Holden's situation. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Appearances as a player mean virtually nothing as a manager-Wenger,Mourinho,Warnock!

52 and59 points,wow!

Bought a few decent cheap players,fair enough,but ones who will get you promotion from this division?

He might do a good job here and might not but I still don't see him as a nailed on 'messiah'

So you don’t understand that having a better budget he would achieve more than he did at Wigan. 
Wigan’s 2 seasons after promotion were good. Above expectations. 
No one is saying he’s a “messiah”. I think you are the only person who has used that term. 
But he’s a proven manager with a very good CV, a very good recruitment philosophy and knows how to set a team up. 

It’s all futile anyway, as he won’t be employed by Ashton. So no point continuing this 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

No serving manager is going to walk away from their club to join us at this stage of the season.  Apart from Howe, the out of work list offers very little hope so, unless we’ve already tapped someone up, I can see a temporary appointment until the end of the season.  The timing could hardly be more difficult - we need to make the right appointment, but time is against us as we are in free fall.  We can only hope that the club has someone already lined up, because starting a search now would leave the club in limbo while we need points...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

SO'D was a proven manager at this level when we signed him (was OTIB's choice at the time), as were Denys Smith, Coppell, Pulis in the past but none could be called a success. It's all a lottery at the end of the day, Alan Dicks was our most successful and he'd previously been an assistant in Div 1 so not so different from Holden's situation. 

As I said it’s no guarantee of success.

Alan Dicks was before my time but for Johnson to be sacked because we wanted to get in to the playoffs / promotion which he failed to achieve to then replace him with his own assistant with even less management experience than him is bizarre logic on the board’s part. 

  • Like 3
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry said:

So you don’t understand that having a better budget he would achieve more than he did at Wigan. 
Wigan’s 2 seasons after promotion were good. Above expectations. 
No one is saying he’s a “messiah”. I think you are the only person who has used that term. 
But he’s a proven manager with a very good CV, a very good recruitment philosophy and knows how to set a team up. 

It’s all futile anyway, as he won’t be employed by Ashton. So no point continuing this 

Well I don't 'understand' how you can be so absolutely certain but hey ho that's your opinion. What you are right about is we won't get him!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Genuinely can’t understand why people are so against him as an option. I get the Ashton thing, but he is arguably the best young coach outside the championship. He was won promotion from League 2, more than likely going to gain promotion from League 1 this season, both with mediocre budgets/clubs. 2 Wembley finals could soon be 3. Cooke who everyone seems to be so keen on has only ever done the same, but both with Pompey (massive club in League2) and Wigan who had just been relegated (parachute payments and championship squad).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t get our collective knickers in a twist with the betting odds mind - we saw with the Holden appointment that the bookies actually know F all in reality.

Edited by bris red
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Was he at Oxford with Ashton ??

They go back a long way

Appleton was a player and then began some coaching ( After career finishing injury ) the whole time Ashton Was at WBA as a Community Bod

Ashton appointed Appleton at Oxford

 

I wouldn’t want Appleton because of this before even considering whether he’s a good coach or not

Fwiw 3 previous fails at Clubs

One success (Oxford promoted from L2)

And currently doing a very decent job at Lincoln tbf

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

No manager in the world would guarantee success, but someone like McCarthy or even Warnock (not that I want him) would be more likely to improve us,points wise at least.

Who was the last number 1 at City who we took from a higher level ? 
 

It seems clear that a good manager can get the best out of any player but we hire ‘ cheap’ options and then chuck money at players who are not used to their best abilities.

Of course McCarthy or Warnock would improve our team it is evident. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

They go back a long way

Appleton was a player and then began some coaching ( After career finishing injury ) the whole time Ashton Was at WBA as a Community Bod

Ashton appointed Appleton at Oxford

 

I wouldn’t want Appleton because of this before even considering whether he’s a good coach or not

Fwiw 3 previous fails at Clubs

One success (Oxford promoted from L2)

And currently doing a very decent job at Lincoln tbf

I don't care whether or not he knew Ashton before.  What matters is whether he's a good manager.

You say "3 previous fails", but these were in his very first couple of years as a manager.  Since then he's had six pretty good years at Oxford and Lincoln.  "One success" is pretty ungenerous considering where Lincoln are at present.

My biggest fear about Appleton is that he'd turn down the job and prefer to stay at Lincoln.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can’t see it. 

Jumping ship now from Lincoln top of the league....

With the criticism of Ashton and his links to Appleton....

The club know that relations with the fans are tense (to say the least) - Appleton will be as good as a middle finger from the board because he’ll simply be seen as an Ashton man.

Much like with Holden, he’d start on the back-foot as it were and simply the club know they have to get this appointment right.

If Appleton comes in and things are dodgy on the pitch, as I’ve said already, toxic won’t describe it.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...