Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Michael Appleton Up Next


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Who was the last number 1 at City who we took from a higher level ? 
 

It seems clear that a good manager can get the best out of any player but we hire ‘ cheap’ options and then chuck money at players who are not used to their best abilities.

Of course McCarthy or Warnock would improve our team it is evident. 
 

 

I would guess that was Danny Wilson who had been at Premier League Sheffield Wednesday in his previous job.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, red panda said:

I don't care whether or not he knew Ashton before.  What matters is whether he's a good manager.

You say "3 previous fails", but these were in his very first couple of years as a manager.  Since then he's had six pretty good years at Oxford and Lincoln.  "One success" is pretty ungenerous considering where Lincoln are at present.

My biggest fear about Appleton is that he'd turn down the job and prefer to stay at Lincoln.

Well Ashton has ‘his men’ as and in

Head Of Operations, 

Recruitment 🧐

Fitness and Conditioning 🧐

 

Another as the Head Coach m and we have the full Ashton show and Ashton very much in full power

If you’re happy with  that fair enough


And if you’d read my post you will have seen I said he appears to be doing a ‘very decent’ job at Lincoln

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alessandro said:

I just can’t see it. 

Jumping ship now from Lincoln top of the league....

With the criticism of Ashton and his links to Appleton....

The club know that relations with the fans are tense (to say the least) - Appleton will be as good as a middle finger from the board because he’ll simply be seen as an Ashton man.

Much like with Holden, he’d start on the back-foot as it were and simply the club know they have to get this appointment right.

If Appleton comes in and things are dodgy on the pitch, as I’ve said already, toxic won’t describe it.

This. 
 

I think on Monday SL wanted to gauge the feeling of the fanbase, hence the embargo. He got that in spades. He can be tin eared at times but knows Appleton would start with virtually zero credit due to Ashtons perceived influence, and he knows that the first sign of a bad run, he’s toast with the fanbase.

In the oft quoted words, if he’s appointed “I’ll give you the money myself”

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/02/2021 at 08:11, havanatopia said:

Such matters never bothered Ashton as we know too well.

I would be astonished if SL allows permanently damaged Ashton, in everyone's eyes, allowed to bring his buddy in.

Fans don't matter, its his club ultimately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Now the favorite on Sky Bet, albeit marginal.

Doesnt matter, sky bet closed the betting on chris houghton because he had the job last time while holden wasn't about 10th fav

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still early days, and I appreciate he’s not a popular choice because he’s mainly lower league and seemingly a favourite of Ashton, but assuming the bookies are right and we are interested.. what do we know about him?

There’s been a bit posted about his record - some mitigating circumstances at clubs earlier in his career and his respectable results (plus promotion) more recently at more stable clubs.

Anyone know about his style of play or signings? We’ve seen good posts about both re: Paul Cook and most people are fairly familiar with Eddie Howe. What about Appleton? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing the board will be very aware of is that this sort of appointment - as it was with Dean Holden - is made much easier by the absence of fans. A few supporters jumping up and down on social media or raging on an internet forum is much more manageable than things getting toxic inside the ground.

I think anyone ruling out Appleton on the basis that they'll know better than to upset fans even further would probably be wise to remember that to avoid getting another nasty shock!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Appleton is going to get the job because he’s Ashtons mate why wasn’t he appointed when Cotterill or Johnson was sacked? This rumour was doing the rounds then and nothing happened.

Also people seem to be overlooking the fact that he’s currently managing the team top of league one, why would he risk swapping places? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

If Appleton is going to get the job because he’s Ashtons mate why wasn’t he appointed when Cotterill or Johnson was sacked? This rumour was doing the rounds then and nothing happened.

Also people seem to be overlooking the fact that he’s currently managing the team top of league one, why would he risk swapping places? 

And do we want to employ the type of person who would walk out on a team top of their league with the finishing line in sight?

Imagine if that person had us top of the Championship, then got an offer from a Prem club, and walked out on us with a couple of months of the season left. We'd be livid.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Holden debacle has lowered my expectations so drastically that suddenly Ryan Lowe, Michael Appleton or Mark Robins (who we don’t seem to be mentioning this time round) seem like reasonable appointments.

All I want now is someone that knows what management is. Sad really.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And do we want to employ the type of person who would walk out on a team top of their league with the finishing line in sight?

Imagine if that person had us top of the Championship, then got an offer from a Prem club, and walked out on us with a couple of months of the season left. We'd be livid.   

I mean more it wouldn’t make sense for him to want to, Ashton would need to have been best man at his wedding and guarantor for his mortgage for him to consider it 

And besides if it was to happen it would’ve happened already when minimal compensation would’ve been due 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And do we want to employ the type of person who would walk out on a team top of their league with the finishing line in sight?

Imagine if that person had us top of the Championship, then got an offer from a Prem club, and walked out on us with a couple of months of the season left. We'd be livid.   

Well he walked out of Blackpool after 65 days to jump to their rivals Blackburn ........ where he lasted 67 days , 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Well he walked out of Blackpool after 65 days to jump to their rivals Blackburn ........ where he lasted 67 days , 

Remember who was running Blackpool at the time, the olystons must’ve been bad for the venkys to be an attractive proposition 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Well he walked out of Blackpool after 65 days to jump to their rivals Blackburn ........ where he lasted 67 days , 

What was the full context of that? Wasn’t that during the time of Oysten and Venky upheaval respectively? I haven’t looked but I’m sure it was around that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To offer a different idea/approach, I would be quite happy to have a youngish Head Coach in from the Continent who has had some success, so long as he speaks good English. A new fresh approach with a determined way of playing good football would be well received by us lot I think.

I would sack that SNAKE Ashton with immediate effect and instead employ a DOF to oversee the new Head Coach role. A DOF with proven experience and knows what he is talking about and most importantly commands respect from the players.

But FFS, get rid of Ashton - done Deano like a kipper.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What was the full context of that? Wasn’t that during the time of Oysten and Venky upheaval respectively? I haven’t looked but I’m sure it was around that time.

Correct. Two basket cases.

Two bad moves by Appleton.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

One thing the board will be very aware of is that this sort of appointment - as it was with Dean Holden - is made much easier by the absence of fans. A few supporters jumping up and down on social media or raging on an internet forum is much more manageable than things getting toxic inside the ground.

I think anyone ruling out Appleton on the basis that they'll know better than to upset fans even further would probably be wise to remember that to avoid getting another nasty shock!

Time will tell of course, but I think you underestimate the influence of the fans - after all, SL had to come out on radio Bristol this week because of all the "raging" on the internet.

The board will know full well what appointing Appleton will mean and the links that come with him - if they think they can keep it under the radar until fans are back...well they could be back in the not too distant future and if any ill-feeling has brewed on the internet and results aren't going well under Appleton before then....well it's the club who could be in for a nasty shock!

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

Time will tell of course, but I think you underestimate the influence of the fans - after all, SL had to come out on radio Bristol this week because of all the "raging" on the internet.

The board will know full well what appointing Appleton will mean and the links that come with him - if they think they can keep it under the radar until fans are back...well they could be back in the not too distant future and if any ill-feeling has brewed on the internet and results aren't going well under Appleton before then....well it's the club who could be in for a nasty shock!

Needless to say... I do hope you're right!

  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What was the full context of that? Wasn’t that during the time of Oysten and Venky upheaval respectively? I haven’t looked but I’m sure it was around that time.

Both Clubs despite being mid table Championship were ‘unstable’ 

 

Appletons explanation

 

Yet, adversity has also left Appleton uniquely prepared for what’s to come. Once at the vanguard of England’s next generation of coaches, he went from Portsmouth to Blackpool and then Blackburn in the space of just 15 months; two clubs where toxic ownerships made an allergy of success and the former Manchester United trainee admits his lack of due diligence left much of the pain self-inflicted. After 67 days at Ewood Park, he walked into his office and found a letter of dismissal on his desk signed by a sporting director he’s still never met to this day. “I was in such a rush to succeed,” he says. “I just wanted to get to the top as fast as I could”

 

 

I won’t post the full article / interview with Appleton (April 2020) as someone on here will have a hissy fit

It’s  here  (Guardian) if anyone wants to read it

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/michael-appleton-interview-coronavirus-lincoln-city-manchester-united-efl-a9440166.html

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Main reasons i would be concerned are, of course his past failures (these things happen, he has done well lately), but more so the fact it’s another one of Ashton’s mates & that him jumping ship now, when he could go down as legendary for Lincoln, would show he has learnt absolutely nothing from his early disloyal career choices. Would not be keen at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Journalist said:

Needless to say... I do hope you're right!

I think Appleton is a funny one, because on paper, results wise etc, you'd have to at least consider him.

I just strongly feel though, with the links and the current situation/recent past, if they go for him, the stakes will be much higher than normal.

It will be another manager starting on the back foot, like Holden but this time the fans could be in there soon. It's got to be right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2021 at 22:00, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fans aren’t currently in the stadium and have zero influence over such decisions ... sadly 

Lansdown says that he hears and sees the criticism of Mark Ashton. 

I suspect he will know fans views on a potential appointment of Michael Appleton as his name has come up repeatedly and every time fans have said 'no ta' (or less polite words to the same effect). 

Lansdown does not want a toxic atmosphere between the club and the fans. That much is clear. He wants fans on the clubs side not the club and fans working against each other. It's a simple point of business that you need your biggest stakeholders on your side believing in you. 

It's why I think the summers appointment of DH was not an ideal choice for the club but who they realistically could get given the way the club wanted to do things. I wonder if that will change slightly and there may be a more collegiate approach with the next appointment being an absolutely key person with the experience and the clout to be a central trusted figure in a on field matters mini board (including Mark Ashton, Brian Tinnion and the new manager/Head Coach). 

Someone like Alex Neil, Paul Cooke even Eddie Howe fts this perfectly in my view. I even think Nigel Pearson and Chris Hughton could of fitted into this way of working rather than the 'we coke to you with our suggestions and you rubber stamp them' approach we currently seem to have. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think Appleton is a funny one, because on paper, results wise etc, you'd have to at least consider him.

I just strongly feel though, with the links and the current situation/recent past, if they go for him, the stakes will be much higher than normal.

It will be another manager starting on the back foot, like Holden but this time the fans could be in there soon. It's got to be right.

Agreed. That’s exactly why I don’t think we will go for him or anyone deemed obviously Ashton connected.

They won’t get away with it and have ST renewals coming up.

I wonder if there’s legs in the theory about Holden, that he was only ever here for a season (unless he wildly overachieved). They probably thought they could win favour playing young players and attacking football - mid table safety with the excuse of covid. Go for it in 2021/22 with a bigger name (someone like Howe) perhaps with Holden part of coaching team.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, walnutroof said:

If Appleton is going to get the job because he’s Ashtons mate why wasn’t he appointed when Cotterill or Johnson was sacked? This rumour was doing the rounds then and nothing happened.

Also people seem to be overlooking the fact that he’s currently managing the team top of league one, why would he risk swapping places? 

Because SL overruled the recommendations of the rest of the board because he wanted Lee Johnson.

Of course all “alleged” but Appleton was the man recommended.

 

 

In terms of conspiracy theory, if anyone is good at Venn Diagrams or Family Trees, here’s something to play around with:

  • Michael Appleton
  • Mark Ashton
  • Darryl Eales
  • Michael O’Leary (not Max)
  • Frank Watehouse
  • Oxford United
  • West Bromwich Albion
  • Alicydon Ltd
  • 4th July 2014

An amazing set of coincidences 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. That’s exactly why I don’t think we will go for him or anyone deemed obviously Ashton connected.

They won’t get away with it and have ST renewals coming up.

I wonder if there’s legs in the theory about Holden, that he was only ever here for a season (unless he wildly overachieved). They probably thought they could win favour playing young players and attacking football - mid table safety with the excuse of covid. Go for it in 2021/22 with a bigger name (someone like Howe) perhaps with Holden part of coaching team.

I think we'll get a clue if it that theory has any truth if the assistant coaches stay with the new appointment. It's one thing having one guy as a stopgap, but three? I can't buy it. But the system is set up with the idea of making the head coach interchangeable/replaceable. You ideally want as little disruption as possible if a coach leaves for good or bad reasons. If everyone stays and the new guy is allowed to bring in one assistant as his trusted person I think that represents a systematic approach rather than a stop gap approach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mozo said:

The Holden debacle has lowered my expectations so drastically that suddenly Ryan Lowe, Michael Appleton or Mark Robins (who we don’t seem to be mentioning this time round) seem like reasonable appointments.

All I want now is someone that knows what management is. Sad really.

I feel the same way. Honestly I'm expecting someone like Russell Martin, anything more and i'll be pleased 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Prinny said:

I think we'll get a clue if it that theory has any truth if the assistant coaches stay with the new appointment. It's one thing having one guy as a stopgap, but three? I can't buy it. But the system is set up with the idea of making the head coach interchangeable/replaceable. You ideally want as little disruption as possible if a coach leaves for good or bad reasons. If everyone stays and the new guy is allowed to bring in one assistant as his trusted person I think that represents a systematic approach rather than a stop gap approach.

That’s all well and good in theory - but this is Bristol City. So many U-turns over the years and a strong tendency to do an about face when panicked.

I’m confident it’ll happen again and we’ll appoint someone different to Holden/Johnson stylistically who’s an outsider. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...