Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Michael Appleton Up Next

I’d say given our current state in the league and fan base feelings, + the fact he’s Ashton’s pal,  appointing someone who hasn’t managed at this level for 7 years and last job at this level left Blackburn on the edge of relegation would be quite the risk

• Like 5
1 minute ago, petehinton said:

I’d say given our current state in the league and fan base feelings, + the fact he’s Ashton’s pal,  appointing someone who hasn’t managed at this level for 7 years and last job at this level left Blackburn on the edge of relegation would be quite the risk

It would be a ******* disgrace that’s what it would be!!

• Like 5

Regardless of whether you think Appleton would be any good, given the level of animosity currently directed at Ashton, if Lansdown sanctions this it will be the most ****ing stupid thing of all the ****ing stupid things he's ever done.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 3
1 hour ago, Devereux said:

Oh for the love of God! Stop looking downwards and appointing people you know MA....get out of your comfort zone and appoint a Head Coach that will challenge you and the whole club! That is the secret to Lam at the Bears, he has had an effect on the entire organisation with his approach and attitude. Thats what we need, a big personality that is going to leave a real mark. 

Couldn't agree more, let's be honest apart from the odd few , I'm pretty confident most have  never heard of him and even less could list his achievements.

A big name is required to shake the club up from top to bottom, ruffle a few feathers and awaken this club from it's current self inflicted stupor.

That person will have a record of achievement  and not some bloke who got Oxford promoted to League 1

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Devereux said:

Oh for the love of God! Stop looking downwards and appointing people you know MA....get out of your comfort zone and appoint a Head Coach that will challenge you and the whole club! That is the secret to Lam at the Bears, he has had an effect on the entire organisation with his approach and attitude. Thats what we need, a big personality that is going to leave a real mark. 

Great post. Exactly what needs to happen.  

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Welcome Appleton! 

Let me assure you ‘we conducted a worldwide search , a thoroughly rigorous process , I can assure you. 

One of the applications that landed on my desk was Michael Appleton , 

When I interviewed him he was highly impressive , I can assure you , and It was then realised that I’d known him for the best part of 20 years at West Brom , when I got them promoted , and at Oxford , when I also delivered promotion ......anyway back to Michael , we (Me and Luke , my brother in law) , realised this was an opportunity , as I did when appointing Aidy Boothroyd , before we fell out , and Brendan Rogers who I gave his break in Football , - that was at Watford where I got them promoted , ......anyway yes , back to the process , it was an opportunity to appoint a World Class Coach in the making for Bristol City Football Club and take us to another level’

’Any other news Mark ?’

’Yes , I understand Jon has chosen Metallic aqua green tiles for the swimming pool’

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8
1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Let me assure you ‘we conducted a worldwide search , a thoroughly rigorous process , I can assure you. 

When I interviewed him he was highly impressive , I can assure you , and It was then realised that I’d known him for the best part of 20 years at West Brom , when I got them promoted , and at Oxford , when I also delivered promotion ......anyway back to Michael , we (Me and Luke , my brother in law) , realised this was an opportunity , as I did when appointing Andy Boothroyd , before we fell out , and Brendan Rogers who I gave his break in Football , - that was at Watford where I got them promoted , ......anyway yes , back to the process , it was an opportunity to appoint a World Class Coach in the making for Bristol City Football Club and take us to another level’

You missed out vigorous search multiple times.

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

When I interviewed him he was highly impressive , I can assure you , and It was then realised that I’d known him for the best part of 20 years at West Brom , when I got them promoted , and at Oxford , when I also delivered promotion ......anyway back to Michael , we (Me and Luke , my brother in law) , realised this was an opportunity , as I did when appointing Andy Boothroyd , before we fell out , and Brendan Rogers who I gave his break in Football , - that was at Watford where I got them promoted , ......anyway yes , back to the process , it was an opportunity to appoint a World Class Coach in the making for Bristol City Football Club and take us to another level’

Another level? Division below you mean. 

Appreciate Appleton won’t be top of anyone’s list but I don’t see it as a really bad appointment. Plays good football and not scared to play youngsters.  He has chosen some bad jobs to take in the past but did well at Oxford and doing well at Lincoln. 

Out of the realistic choices (I don’t see Howe or Pearson as that) then it’s surely Cook, Appleton or Cowley.  I would want them in that order ie Appleton if we cannot get Cook

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Who was the last number 1 at City who we took from a higher level ? 

It seems clear that a good manager can get the best out of any player but we hire ‘ cheap’ options and then chuck money at players who are not used to their best abilities.

Of course McCarthy or Warnock would improve our team it is evident. 

Coppell had managed in the PL for a number of seasons over his career, had indeed won three Promotions to the PL/Division One.

Seems perfect to build on a top 10 Championship side, no?

In another sense, O'Driscoll to some extent- had decent Championship experience but never higher- decent record prior to joining us though, Pulis did better with Gillingham at League One level than he did with us in that same tier- it's a strange one.

Wilson had experience of the top two divisions.

Of all those though, I'd say definitively it'd be Coppell? Went well didn't it- I know he was at Reading in 2008/09 back in the Championship (unsuccessful playoff campaign then quit) but he was an ideal manager to take us to the next level...

We certainly left an impression on him- lest we forget he didn't just quit but retired!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Still early days, and I appreciate he’s not a popular choice because he’s mainly lower league and seemingly a favourite of Ashton, but assuming the bookies are right and we are interested.. what do we know about him?

There’s been a bit posted about his record - some mitigating circumstances at clubs earlier in his career and his respectable results (plus promotion) more recently at more stable clubs.

Anyone know about his style of play or signings? We’ve seen good posts about both re: Paul Cook and most people are fairly familiar with Eddie Howe. What about Appleton? 

Hi mate.  Since I produced the Paul Cook history last year that's been raised a few times here, I've looked into Appleton from a similar standpoint, i.e. recruitment history/philosophy, achievements etc.

So, lets start with his first managerial role, at Portsmouth.
He was there for 30 games.  Won 8, Drawn 7, Lost 15.  31 points in 30 games (1.03 ppg)
For context, the same season, Cotterill had 16 games.  Won 5, Drawn 4, Lost 7.  19 points in 16 games (1.2 ppg).
So overall, his record that season was worse than Cotts.

Players he brought in during his time there were :
George Thorn, Scott Allan & Joe Mattock - all youngsters from West Brom.
Kelvin Etuhu - who'd just come out of prison!  Chris Maguire - an average L1/L2 player.  Karim Rekik, who's played only 100 games in 6 years since, Luca Scapuzzi, who's since been plying his trade in Italian Div 3.
I'll give him a little kudos on Thorne & Mattock, who turned into mid table Champ players.

Moving on to Blackpool.
He was there for 11 games.  Won 2, Drawn 7, Lost 2.  13 points in 11 games (1.18 ppg).
For context, the other 2 managers that season had 1.4 ppg and 1.25 ppg.  So again, he had a worse record than the other 2 managers that year.

Next to Blackburn.
He was there for 11 games.  Won 2, Drawn 4, Lost 5.  10 points in 11 games (0.9 ppg).
Again, for context, 2 other managers that season achieved 1.38 ppg and 1.33 ppg.  So again, whilst he was at a club in turmoil, his record was worse than the other 2 managers that season.

Players he brought in a Blackburn were :
Anton Forrester (now at Radcliffe), Lee Williamson (31 year old lower league bumbler), DJ Campbell (32 years old and declining at that time), David Bentley (29 and hadn't played 5 years), Rekik again (see Portsmouth above), Cameron Stewart (1 goal in 61 games and only 63 apps in 8 years since) & David Jones at 29 years old.
Of those, I'll give him kudos on Jones, who was a decent signing at that time.  The rest were a bunch of no-hopers or has-beens.  So not a great record there.

Let's move to Oxford, where he achieved promotion.  This was when he first started working under Ashton.
Season 1 he attained 1.33 ppg, his best effort so far.

Recruitment was crazy.  10 permanent signings and 14 loans (bear in mind Ashton is now on the recruitment, so that may sound familiar!!)
Perms - Michael Collins, Junior Brown, Will Hoskins, Brian Howard, Patrick Hoban, John Campbell, Joe Skarz, Alex Macdonald, Jamie Ashdown, Jeremy Balny. Loans - George Long, Joe Riley, Carlton Morris, Alex Jakubiak, Tyrone Barnett, Tariq HolmesDennis, Chey Dunkley, Wes Burns, Richard Brindley, George Baldock, Kemar Roofe, Giorgio Rasulo, Armand Gnanduillet, Kyle Vassell.

The average player signed played 13 games for Oxford that season.  So despite all that recruitment (24 players in 1 season!!), only 4 were considered 'regulars'.  Good signings of players like Dunkley (who I always liked back then too), Baldock (another who was on my radar too) and of course Roofe, who was a success (which you could argue the WBA link was a huge help here).

So, a couple of good spots of players, but a total scattergun approach, and most of those 24 players have since gone on to nothing (some even playing for Jarrow Roofing and Newton Aycliffe!)

Season 2 at Oxford (and still under Ashton remember), they finished 2nd and won promotion with 1.86 ppg.  Note that Rovers finished 3rd - that's how weak the league was ha ha!

Recruitment - another 14 signings (that makes 38 in 2 seasons with Ashton in control!  Again, that may sound familiar!)
Roofe came in permanent, John Lundstrum picked up on a free.  Both very good signings.
The rest were Liam Sercombe, Sam Slocombe, Ryan Taylor, Benjamin Buchel, Cameron Gayle, Jordan Bowery, Chris Maguire, Jordan Graham, Jordan Evans, Jonjoe Kenny, Zeli Ismael, George Waring.
Another collection of pretty much nothingness, but fair play, with this team they got promoted.  So I suppose Appleton has to be congratulated on putting the team together to achieve that.

After Ashton left, the next season they only brought in 10 players, including Curtis Nelson, Joe Rothwell, Ryan Ledson & Marvin Johnson (see what you can achieve in recruitment without Ashton's scattergun!).  Finished 8th, 1.5 ppg.  A decent season for Appleton, noticeably without Ashton's recruitment helping him!

Next to Lincoln.  Season one he managed 1.11 ppg, compared with Cowley who'd managed 1.44.  So again not as successful as the previous manager.  Season 2 he's obviously doing very well now.

Season 1 signings were 7 perms, 4 loans.  Tayo Edun, Tom Hopper & Anthony Scully are the only regulars of those.
Season 2 signings were 12 perms, 6 loans.  Regulars this season are James Jones, Lewis Montsma, Conor McGrandles, Adam Jackson, Joe Walsh, Alex Palmer (WBA link), Brennan Johnson and Liam Bridcutt.

So in his 2 season to date, he's brought in 11 of the regulars and a few supplementary players, so it's definitely Appleton's squad, even in such a short time.  Only 2 players with more than 6 appearances this season were there under Cowley.  So you have to say hats off to him for putting this team together and getting them to where they are.

In summary, a very poor start to his career.  At Oxford he got a promotion, but certainly his better signings were post-Ashton's influence.  Then at Lincoln he's built the team himself and made it a success.  Actually makes me wonder if he's better off without Ashton picking the players for him!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hi mate.  Since I produced the Paul Cook history last year that's been raised a few times here, I've looked into Appleton from a similar standpoint, i.e. recruitment history/philosophy, achievements etc.

So, lets start with his first managerial role, at Portsmouth.
He was there for 30 games.  Won 8, Drawn 7, Lost 15.  31 points in 30 games (1.03 ppg)
For context, the same season, Cotterill had 16 games.  Won 5, Drawn 4, Lost 7.  19 points in 16 games (1.2 ppg).
So overall, his record that season was worse than Cotts.

Players he brought in during his time there were :
George Thorn, Scott Allan & Joe Mattock - all youngsters from West Brom.
Kelvin Etuhu - who'd just come out of prison!  Chris Maguire - an average L1/L2 player.  Karim Rekik, who's played only 100 games in 6 years since, Luca Scapuzzi, who's since been plying his trade in Italian Div 3.
I'll give him a little kudos on Thorne & Mattock, who turned into mid table Champ players.

Moving on to Blackpool.
He was there for 11 games.  Won 2, Drawn 7, Lost 2.  13 points in 11 games (1.18 ppg).
For context, the other 2 managers that season had 1.4 ppg and 1.25 ppg.  So again, he had a worse record than the other 2 managers that year.

Next to Blackburn.
He was there for 11 games.  Won 2, Drawn 4, Lost 5.  10 points in 11 games (0.9 ppg).
Again, for context, 2 other managers that season achieved 1.38 ppg and 1.33 ppg.  So again, whilst he was at a club in turmoil, his record was worse than the other 2 managers that season.

Players he brought in a Blackburn were :
Anton Forrester (now at Radcliffe), Lee Williamson (31 year old lower league bumbler), DJ Campbell (32 years old and declining at that time), David Bentley (29 and hadn't played 5 years), Rekik again (see Portsmouth above), Cameron Stewart (1 goal in 61 games and only 63 apps in 8 years since) & David Jones at 29 years old.
Of those, I'll give him kudos on Jones, who was a decent signing at that time.  The rest were a bunch of no-hopers or has-beens.  So not a great record there.

Let's move to Oxford, where he achieved promotion.  This was when he first started working under Ashton.

2014/15
Season 1 he attained 1.33 ppg, his best effort so far.

Recruitment was crazy.  10 permanent signings and 14 loans (bear in mind Ashton is now on the recruitment, so that may sound familiar!!)
Perms - Michael Collins, Junior Brown, Will Hoskins, Brian Howard, Patrick Hoban, John Campbell, Joe Skarz, Alex Macdonald, Jamie Ashdown, Jeremy Balny. Loans - George Long, Joe Riley, Carlton Morris, Alex Jakubiak, Tyrone Barnett, Tariq HolmesDennis, Chey Dunkley, Wes Burns, Richard Brindley, George Baldock, Kemar Roofe, Giorgio Rasulo, Armand Gnanduillet, Kyle Vassell.

The average player signed played 13 games for Oxford that season.  So despite all that recruitment (24 players in 1 season!!), only 4 were considered 'regulars'.  Good signings of players like Dunkley (who I always liked back then too), Baldock (another who was on my radar too) and of course Roofe, who was a success (which you could argue the WBA link was a huge help here).

So, a couple of good spots of players, but a total scattergun approach, and most of those 24 players have since gone on to nothing (some even playing for Jarrow Roofing and Newton Aycliffe!)

2015/16
Season 2 at Oxford (and still under Ashton remember), they finished 2nd and won promotion with 1.86 ppg.  Note that Rovers finished 3rd - that's how weak the league was ha ha!

Ashton left that December 2015 to come to City.  So he didn’t earn promotion with Oxford, yet he claims he did with each club he’s been at.

Recruitment - another 14 signings (that makes 38 in 2 seasons with Ashton in control!  Again, that may sound familiar!)

only two signings made after Ashton left...Bowery and Maguire in the Jan window.  Bowery very useful at that level
Roofe came in permanent, John Lundstrum picked up on a free.  Both very good signings.
The rest were Liam Sercombe, Sam Slocombe, Ryan Taylor, Benjamin Buchel, Cameron Gayle, Jordan Bowery, Chris Maguire, Jordan Graham, Jordan Evans, Jonjoe Kenny, Zeli Ismael, George Waring.
Another collection of pretty much nothingness, but fair play, with this team they got promoted.  So I suppose Appleton has to be congratulated on putting the team together to achieve that.

At Lg2 level some of these are half-tidy players in fairness imho.

After Ashton left, the next season they only brought in 10 players, including Curtis Nelson, Joe Rothwell, Ryan Ledson & Marvin Johnson (see what you can achieve in recruitment without Ashton's scattergun!).  Finished 8th, 1.5 ppg.  A decent season for Appleton, noticeably without Ashton's recruitment helping him!

Definite seed change agreed.

Next to Lincoln.  Season one he managed 1.11 ppg, compared with Cowley who'd managed 1.44.  So again not as successful as the previous manager.  Season 2 he's obviously doing very well now.

Season 1 signings were 7 perms, 4 loans.  Tayo Edun, Tom Hopper & Anthony Scully are the only regulars of those.
Season 2 signings were 12 perms, 6 loans.  Regulars this season are James Jones, Lewis Montsma, Conor McGrandles, Adam Jackson, Joe Walsh, Alex Palmer (WBA link), Brennan Johnson and Liam Bridcutt.

Johnson and Bridcutt should excel at Lg1.

So in his 2 season to date, he's brought in 11 of the regulars and a few supplementary players, so it's definitely Appleton's squad, even in such a short time.  Only 2 players with more than 6 appearances this season were there under Cowley.  So you have to say hats off to him for putting this team together and getting them to where they are.

In summary, a very poor start to his career.  At Oxford he got a promotion, but certainly his better signings were post-Ashton's influence.  Then at Lincoln he's built the team himself and made it a success.  Actually makes me wonder if he's better off without Ashton picking the players for him!!

Harry might be a couple of corrections and comments above. ⬆️⬆️⬆️

I was going to do the same tonight, so thanks for saving me the effort.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Superjack said:

Regardless of whether you think Appleton would be any good, given the level of animosity currently directed at Ashton, if Lansdown sanctions this it will be the most ****ing stupid thing of all the ****ing stupid things he's ever done.

Which is why it’d be so Steve Lansdown if he did exactly that. 

I have no faith whatsoever he will make the right appointment; this would be typical of him to be honest. 

So, so, so disappointing for this even to be a possibility.

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

How do I feel? Same as any potential appointment, there is no magic formula and we’ll just have to wait and see. Anyone arriving may have a rough start as they inherit a poor squad of fit players, not suited to two games per week.

Agreed and that's why I think it's vital to recruit someone who's an excellent motivator, who commands respect the minute he walks through the door. Time is against, whoever's appointed needs to get an immediate response.