Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Michael Appleton Up Next

3 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

As we will have millionaires in our squad these days, wouldn’t it be great to have someone who actually has experience of managing millionaires as manager...

About 25 years ago, Alan Ball was quoted as saying, “ the hardest thing nowadays for a manager, is to motivate 11 millionaires”. A lot of truth in that. Mind you, nowadays they are multi millionaires! 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Whilst it's good on paper he was backed rather well. Look where Chesterfield are now? Paying the price for what was a very good team in league one ?

Pompy had arguably the best finances in league 2. Wigan arguably the best in league 1 and overspent and are paying the price. 

He still achieved what he did but he's not a magician as some make out.

Just to add that I think he would be a decent appointment but I'm not as excited as some are.

Who did he sign at Chesterfield and what was his total spend? Genuinely interested. I see after he left, they appointed the likes of Dean Saunders so no wonder they slipped down the leagues after he left. 

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

About 25 years ago, Alan Ball was quoted as saying, “ the hardest thing nowadays for a manager, is to motivate 11 millionaires”. A lot of truth in that. Mind you, nowadays they are multi millionaires! 

Similarly Grame Souness was asked if he would manage a club again. He said: "players aren't frightened of you now, theres no jeopardy anymore.." 

8 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Both Clubs despite being mid table Championship were ‘unstable’ 

Appletons explanation

Yet, adversity has also left Appleton uniquely prepared for what’s to come. Once at the vanguard of England’s next generation of coaches, he went from Portsmouth to Blackpool and then Blackburn in the space of just 15 months; two clubs where toxic ownerships made an allergy of success and the former Manchester United trainee admits his lack of due diligence left much of the pain self-inflicted. After 67 days at Ewood Park, he walked into his office and found a letter of dismissal on his desk signed by a sporting director he’s still never met to this day. “I was in such a rush to succeed,” he says. “I just wanted to get to the top as fast as I could”

I won’t post the full article / interview with Appleton (April 2020) as someone on here will have a hissy fit

It’s  here  (Guardian) if anyone wants to read it

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/michael-appleton-interview-coronavirus-lincoln-city-manchester-united-efl-a9440166.html

unless I am being whooshed this is far far far worse than plagiarism this is forumism and misquoting, imagine my shock and horror when I didn't click on the link and end up on the wrong paper. 

2 minutes ago, reddoh said:

unless I am being whooshed this is far far far worse than plagiarism this is forumism and misquoting, imagine my shock and horror when I didn't click on the link and end up on the wrong paper. 

Ha ha

No - just an error on my part 

Don’t know where I got Guardian from !

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Pep seems to manage.........and they are probably some of the highest paid players in the league.  Pride and ambition has to come into it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

Who did he sign at Chesterfield and what was his total spend? Genuinely interested. I see after he left, they appointed the likes of Dean Saunders so no wonder they slipped down the leagues after he left. 

Bought, loaned and / or developed;

• Eoin Doyle
  • Sam Clucas - the only one he paid a fee for (£113k) in his time there
  • Liam Cooper
  • Jay O’Shea
  • Armand Granduillet
  • Mason Bennett 
  • Daniel Johnson
  • Sam Morsy
  • Mark Duffy
  • Connor Townsend
  • Tendayi Darikwa
Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

@Harry - any I missed.  I tried to stick to the ones most people will know, who in the main were good at that level or played higher, some much higher than league one.  I’m sure there’s another dozen, twenty, that were more than adequate recruits for that level too.

Cook is the standout, Appleton would be one to definitely look at, people being put off by the Ashton connection. 

If anyone is interested, not sure if mentioned recently, really interesting thing with Appleton on Coaches Voice this week. Well worth a listen whether he is a potential candidate or not! 

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Interesting, he didn’t rule it out at all. That wasn’t a categorical no. Tried to deflect the question and approach it from a different angle.

Judging from that, I’d say we are interested and have perhaps had early discussions.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting, he didn’t rule it out at all. That wasn’t a categorical no. Tried to deflect the question and approach it from a different angle.

Judging from that, I’d say we are interested and have perhaps had early discussions.

A local journalist expects his odds to tumble. It is really difficult to say what is going on . IMO he is doing a great job at Lincoln. Am I excited by him no . Was I excited by Steve Cotterills appointment no. So I am quite open minded. Who I want and who we get could be miles apart 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

A local journalist expects his odds to tumble. It is really difficult to say what is going on . IMO he is doing a great job at Lincoln. Am I excited by him no . Was I excited by Steve Cotterills appointment no. So I am quite open minded. Who I want and who we get could be miles apart 

Yeah, he wouldn’t be my first pick and would be a brazen choice by the club given the inevitable suspicion he’d receive. Gives him a lot of unnecessary pressure that other managers wouldn’t have from the Ashton connection.

If it wasn’t for the Ashton connection and we were linked with him, I think many would be happier about it as his recent record is decent.

I’d rather Paul Cook by a long stretch, but have a feeling he won’t be the board’s type of ‘human’.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The more I read and hear about him, the less against his appointment I would be.

Don't get me wrong, he'd never be in the top 3 or 4 choices for me, but he has worked higher up (something that will be highlighted a lot if he were to come here), has realised he wasn't quite cut out for it, and has then gone for jobs lower down the food chain to get his experience.

The one thing that would bother me is that if he were to come now, it would just further back up what has been said before about him - he jumps ship at the first opportunity. If this were to happen, and he does make a success of the job here, then we would always be going - when is he going to jump ship again?

I think for him personally, and professionally, he should see out the job in hand before doing anything else. If he does that, chances are that he'll be in the Championship next season anyway....

Reading through the posts since yesterday it seems that a lot of people are warming to Appleton.

I just don't get it. Are we that down trodden that we just accept things now? I think we will just get another meh appointment but being happy about is another thing entirely. Is City such a bad option to attract a decent manager or is it down to the Muppetry that choose the manager? If it is to be Appleton, then there is no spinning me any argument that he is the best we can get or that he is the right appointment. I didn't buy it last time with Holden and I'm not buying it this time. City have already wasted this season. In my opinion after LJ the time was right and was an opportunity to take advantage of COVID rather than use it to excuse everything. That opportunity is here again and the appointment of Appleton or similar will be blowing that opportunity all over again.

6 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Anyone else think that he may not join us until the end of the season after finishing the job at Lincoln? That’s the horrible feeling I had after listening to his interview. 

Top of League 1. I can’t see Lincoln agreeing to let him go and jeopardising their chances of promotion, or the attraction of leaving a team on the up for a risk of relegation.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Anyone else think that he may not join us until the end of the season after finishing the job at Lincoln? That’s the horrible feeling I had after listening to his interview. 

If they go up I can't see it. 

We dont want a NICE manager. We want a manager who knows how to motivate and organise a team. A manager that sees a center forward coasting in the first half, takes him to one side and tells the f----r to start earning his wage or he's off in 10 minutes and playing reserve team football. Also a manager that can relate to the fans and say how it is. Be honest. He needs experience of football at our level or above not below. We don't have time for him to learn the ropes. Go get him Mr Lansdown.

• Like 1