IGNORED

Jon Lansdown

Henry

7 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

If it's any consolation, I lived and worked in Bermuda for a year.

Total shithole.

Only 1 public beach, all the rest are private and a beer was about $25.

Worlds biggest open-air prison - nothing to do, nothing to see.

The citizens are all as miserable as Nahki Wells. 

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

We were there for fortnight for our 20th anniversary and went to three different public beaches, so I don't tuink you were trying hard enough. :) .

We loved it, even if eating out meant taking out a 2nd mortgage. :)

I spent a couple of months working there in the late 1980s following Hurricane Emily, and I certainly wouldn't describe it as a 'shithole'.

I had great fun driving around the island on my hired moped, dressed in the customary Bermuda shorts and waving every morning to the 'policeman' in the Bird Cage (he wasn't a real policeman, just an eccentric local) and visiting each parish.

I can't really comment on the 'public' beaches, as our hired house had its own beach, but I must say I found the locals, both black and white, warm and very friendly - the mainly whites at the yacht club were very full of themselves, but friendly and welcoming nonetheless.

Of course, the island is expensive as most things, especially foodstuffs, are imported, but I had one of my most enjoyable meals ever in a restaurant just off Front Street - soft shell crabs and, Yes, I ate the whole crab; shell and all.   

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I spent a couple of months working there in the late 1980s following Hurricane Emily, and I certainly wouldn't describe it as a 'shithole'.

I had great fun driving around the island on my hired moped, dressed in the customary Bermuda shorts and waving every morning to the 'policeman' in the Bird Cage (he wasn't a real policeman, just an eccentric local) and visiting each parish.

I can't really comment on the 'public' beaches, as our hired house had its own beach, but I must say I found the locals, both black and white, warm and very friendly - the mainly whites at the yacht club were very full of themselves, but friendly and welcoming nonetheless.

Of course, the island is expensive as most things, especially foodstuffs, are imported, but I had one of my most enjoyable meals ever in a restaurant just off Front Street - soft shell crabs and, Yes, I ate the whole crab; shell and all.   

Yup, you sound like a locals wet-dream Phil.

On 17/02/2021 at 00:17, RedNachos said:

It's people like jl who I detest most on this planet

No talent ability or hard work. Leaches of his father and will inherit has wealth. Don't give two ***** about this club. Crook. 

Get him out

There’s far, far worse people than JL on this planet, even those who appear to have been given everything.

Your assumption seems rather harsh.

16 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m fairly sure the hugely unpopular juvenile style of official club social media is his idea too. 

He was involved with the silly centenary kit design too.

These are all small things, but the sort of things that irritate the fan base.

By all accounts he’s a decent guy - but he’s clearly no marketing or PR expert when it comes to this club. 

I was as big a critic as anyone of some of the kit missteps (cartoonish font, or quality of the rendering of the new crest in its first year via our own supply chain) which both betrayed an amateur, lack of quality control of someone learning on the job, albeit perhaps saving the club a bit of money by being hands on.

I've also never fully warmed to the new crest. But it doesn't mean I look at this thread and feel anything other than incredibly uncomfortable at the one-sided hatchet job on this lad. In a parallel universe I think we'd all be creaming ourselves to have an actual fan running projects at the club, not some faceless suit. 

I'm sure somewhere he's been a driving force for modernisation in areas that needed it. The two things in bold above, surely the success or otherwise is entirely subjective. The social stuff irritates me too but popular clubs do it and our engagement has gone through the roof, there does seem to be some strategy.

And I'm sure there are plenty of other successes he could mention - visible or invisible to us - but don't get a mention this week (not a pop at your post @Phileas Fogg, but the thread as a whole is very one sided). I'm sure he's embraced fan ideas more than most would, the AG8 shirt was executed really well. 

Anyway, not my job to run defence for him, but the thread is badly in need of some balance. I know mistakes made in hiring have stirred this up, but if anyone honestly thinks JL was significant to that decision when you have someone as manipulative as MA in the room with you, seriously?! Cut him some slack.

Don't know if it's been covered elsewhere as busy at work, but in a week where "someone" leaked to Gregor that a) MA had some LBs lined up and b) JL is in Bermuda, is our issue really JL being In Bermuda and not the fact things are getting so hot for "someone" to be briefing against JL & those around them?

As it relates to our club, I know which I'm more concerned about and it's not whatever JL spends his money on.

5 hours ago, Olé said:

I was as big a critic as anyone of some of the kit missteps (cartoonish font, or quality of the rendering of the new crest in its first year via our own supply chain) which both betrayed an amateur, lack of quality control of someone learning on the job, albeit perhaps saving the club a bit of money by being hands on.

I've also never fully warmed to the new crest. But it doesn't mean I look at this thread and feel anything other than incredibly uncomfortable at the one-sided hatchet job on this lad. In a parallel universe I think we'd all be creaming ourselves to have an actual fan running projects at the club, not some faceless suit. 

I'm sure somewhere he's been a driving force for modernisation in areas that needed it. The two things in bold above, surely the success or otherwise is entirely subjective. The social stuff irritates me too but popular clubs do it and our engagement has gone through the roof, there does seem to be some strategy.

And I'm sure there are plenty of other successes he could mention - visible or invisible to us - but don't get a mention this week (not a pop at your post @Phileas Fogg, but the thread as a whole is very one sided). I'm sure he's embraced fan ideas more than most would, the AG8 shirt was executed really well. 

Anyway, not my job to run defence for him, but the thread is badly in need of some balance. I know mistakes made in hiring have stirred this up, but if anyone honestly thinks JL was significant to that decision when you have someone as manipulative as MA in the room with you, seriously?! Cut him some slack.

Don't know if it's been covered elsewhere as busy at work, but in a week where "someone" leaked to Gregor that a) MA had some LBs lined up and b) JL is in Bermuda, is our issue really JL being In Bermuda and not the fact things are getting so hot for "someone" to be briefing against JL & those around them?

As it relates to our club, I know which I'm more concerned about and it's not whatever JL spends his money on.

Agreed Rob, so much thinly disguised green envy on this thread you would be forgiven you had accidentally stumbled across the Plymouth Argyle forum.

On 17/02/2021 at 09:02, Harry R said:

I used to work with Jon at HL when we were both in our early 20s and, for what it's worth, the caricature of him on here is completely unfair.

He was a humble and shy bloke who was smart and capable. As a City fan, he had all the same memories as me - someone who started watching the club in the early 90s - and he went home and away, often preferring to sit in the away end than the directors' box.

I think the club got it very wrong with Holden, and Jon clearly shares responsibility for that, but the personal stuff and the complete guesswork about who he is and what he's like should be called out for the nonsense that it is.

And, let's be honest, is largely born out of jealousy.

My experience of Jon is the same as yours, Harry, in that he's a good guy and a genuine Bristol City fan. He may well be out of his depth doing a job he's fortunate to have inherited - and should absolutely be criticised and held accountable for poor decisions made - but that doesn't make him a bad person or any less a supporter of the club.

Mark Ashton, on the hand... Not for me, Clive.

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

And, let's be honest, is largely born out of jealousy.

My experience of Jon is the same as yours, Harry, in that he's a good guy and a genuine Bristol City fan. He may well be out of his depth doing a job he's fortunate to have inherited - and should absolutely be criticised and held accountable for poor decisions made - but that doesn't make him a bad person or any less a supporter of the club.

Mark Ashton, on the hand... Not for me, Clive.

...really? 'Jealousy' - always a get out of jail card for the wealthy and powerful don't you think? If you criticise the billionaire purchaser of our football club, or the son he passes it on to, it must be not because they're proving incompetent, but because you are 'jealous'? 

Just now, Red Exile said:

...really? 'Jealousy' - always a get out of jail card for the wealthy and powerful don't you think? If you criticise the billionaire purchaser of our football club, or the son he passes it on to, it must be not because they're proving incompetent, but because you are 'jealous'? 

What I clearly said was the personal abuse - of which there's been plenty - will be down to jealousy. I absolutely do believe that, yeah. Happy to agree to disagree.

Fans are absolutely right to hold him to account and criticise the decisions, though, with the appointment of Dean Holden clearly a horrendous one. And, as I also said, he's fortunate to be in the position he's in.

Not sure why you appear to have taken offence at any of the above.

1 minute ago, The Journalist said:

What I clearly said was the personal abuse - of which there's been plenty - will be down to jealousy. I absolutely do believe that, yeah. Happy to agree to disagree.

Fans are absolutely right to hold him to account and criticise the decisions, though, with the appointment of Dean Holden clearly a horrendous one. And, as I also said, he's fortunate to be in the position he's in.

Not sure why you appear to have taken offence at any of the above.

No offence taken, I just feel that 'jealousy - 'the politics of envy' - has been the get out of jail card for the wealthy down the ages.  JL's best defence against criticism, whether fair or unfair, is to do his job well...he's got the perfect opportunity right now!

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

No offence taken, I just feel that 'jealousy - 'the politics of envy' - has been the get out of jail card for the wealthy down the ages.  JL's best defence against criticism, whether fair or unfair, is to do his job well...he's got the perfect opportunity right now!

I don’t disagree with that. He needs to be held to account along with every other decision maker at the club. As I say, the personal stuff is just pretty misguided in my opinion.

Let’s hope the next decision they make requires no criticism!

1 minute ago, The Journalist said:

I don’t disagree with that. He needs to be held to account along with every other decision maker at the club. As I say, the personal stuff is just pretty misguided in my opinion.

Let’s hope the next decision they make requires no criticism!

Not a great look though is it 

Chairman of the football club spending his time in Bermuda , buying property and choosing which tiles for his new infinity swimming pool

Whilst closer to home the Pandemic is in full grip , the Club has a rookie coach and under pressure , and the January transfer window was here

Of course he can remain in communication but with the owner in Guernsey it’s not a great look

Personally think he’s getting off very lightly in the current environment. 

This place is all about opinions, but must admit I’m really surprised that a few posters, whose opinion I typically have the uppermost respect for, don’t feel he’s ethically at odds with what figures in the public eye should be doing right now. 

Secondly, clarity on his role is much needed. It’s not good enough for the son of the owner to be handed the paid role of full time Chairman and for him not to fulfilling this role and living as a tax exile in Bermuda whilst the club is in utter disarray. This is surely unforgivable in anyone’s books?

There wouldn’t be any criticism of his actions or character if he were not in this role. Time for him to make the decision of what’s more important and show the fans the respect they deserve.

32 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The silence is deafening btw. Not a peep/interview/statement around Holden across a full day and a half? One incoming or will there be lots of training video filler as if nothing has happened? 

No different to last time. Looking at the OS we had the statement of LJ's sacking on 4th July, then it took until 7th July to get a news story about Holden being honoured to take temp charge. 

There was a nebulous pre-match thing from COD, and a couple of signings for the women's team, but nothing of substance.

31 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The silence is deafening btw. Not a peep/interview/statement around Holden across a full day and a half? One incoming or will there be lots of training video filler as if nothing has happened? 

Absolutely.  I don’t get this club.  Why not just issue a holding position, e.g.

”we know fans will be keen for an update, but we are working hard behind the scenes to appoint a new head-coach / manager.  We will not respond to rumours and please bear with us whilst we do this, whilst understanding this can’t always happen quickly”.

Something like that, not promising an appointment immediately, as things can fall through, etc.  Remember Bournemouth also in the hunt too.

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Hopefully his mole will be as forthcoming. 

But Steve L really needs to find who has been leaking information and fire them. 

Why should they be fired? 
One can only assume that whomever is feeding the stories to Gregor actually has the best interest of the club at heart. 
Ashton is only serving his own interests. 
Whoever is leaking these stories is trying to put right what is wrong. They should be promoted, not fired!! 

38 minutes ago, petehinton said:

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely.  I don’t get this club.  Why not just issue a holding position, e.g.

”we know fans will be keen for an update, but we are working hard behind the scenes to appoint a new head-coach / manager.  We will not respond to rumours and please bear with us whilst we do this, whilst understanding this can’t always happen quickly”.

Something like that, not promising an appointment immediately, as things can fall through, etc.  Remember Bournemouth also in the hunt too.

Agreed. 
Maybe they’ve realised that going to the press and radio, assuring us all they have excellent candidates from around the world and we’re looking for someone to take us forward, isn’t actually a very good move. So instead, they say nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Why should they be fired? 
One can only assume that whomever is feeding the stories to Gregor actually has the best interest of the club at heart. 
Ashton is only serving his own interests. 
Whoever is leaking these stories is trying to put right what is wrong. They should be promoted, not fired!! 

Totally agree 

I have my suspicions but not going to speculate on here

11 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

This place is all about opinions, but must admit I’m really surprised that a few posters, whose opinion I typically have the uppermost respect for, don’t feel he’s ethically at odds with what figures in the public eye should be doing right now. 

Secondly, clarity on his role is much needed. It’s not good enough for the son of the owner to be handed the paid role of full time Chairman and for him not to fulfilling this role and living as a tax exile in Bermuda whilst the club is in utter disarray. This is surely unforgivable in anyone’s books?

There wouldn’t be any criticism of his actions or character if he were not in this role. Time for him to make the decision of what’s more important and show the fans the respect they deserve.

I agree. We should also remember he is not only Chairman of Bristol City, but also Chairman of Bristol Sport AND on the board of directors at Bristol Bears. 

These roles clearly don't demand the kind of time that one would assume they do in order to be carried out competently.

Personally I'd like a little more clarity from the club on what JL's role as "Chairman" entails. The OS page for him is next to useless and it's not even 100% clear whether he is an executive or non-executive director.

What I'd start by saying is that for a UK private company to have a chairman is a little strange. Generally they are more common in public companies, and most of the UK Corporate Governance Code that sets out the expectations of the role is geared towards that idea.

A traditional Chairman is basically there to monitor the board, to provide a casting vote (sometimes) and to provide counsel and guidance, but not direction, to the executive directors. He may also step in if one of the executive directors is under a conflict of interest. Essentially, for a PLC, he is there to keep the executive directors in check, thereby reassuring shareholders that the exec directors aren't dicking around. He should, ideally, be independent of all executive directors and all shareholders. He (or she but I'll use 'he') is generally a non-executive director rather than an executive director. For contrast the CEO would always be an executive director. A non-exec director will normally be appointed by simple letter rather than a full employment contract, and his role will be limited. Often he might only be expected to work one day a month, and might only be paid £10-20,000 a year, compared to an exec director who will be expected to work as much as necessary and would be paid well into 6 figures. Many non-executive directors and chairman hold multiple such roles across numerous companies.

Generally if he was a full time Chairman he would be an "Executive Chairman", in order to distinguish the roles. In that role he would be more like a deputy-CEO whereby he not only chairs and runs board meetings, but also actively assists in making business decisions on a day to day basis. This would be unusual.

But JL's role is clearly not exactly analogous to a PLC Chairman. Firstly he's related to the sole major shareholder of the group - his dad. Secondly he does seem to have a more hands on, although not necessarily full-time, role than you'd normally see from a Chairman.

It's odd, it muddies the waters, and I think it means sometimes fans expect him to be doing more than maybe he should be. 

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Personally I'd like a little more clarity from the club on what JL's role as "Chairman" entails. The OS page for him is next to useless and it's not even 100% clear whether he is an executive or non-executive director.

What I'd start by saying is that for a UK private company to have a chairman is a little strange. Generally they are more common in public companies, and most of the UK Corporate Governance Code that sets out the expectations of the role is geared towards that idea.

A traditional Chairman is basically there to monitor the board, to provide a casting vote (sometimes) and to provide counsel and guidance, but not direction, to the executive directors. He may also step in if one of the executive directors is under a conflict of interest. Essentially, for a PLC, he is there to keep the executive directors in check, thereby reassuring shareholders that the exec directors aren't dicking around. He should, ideally, be independent of all executive directors and all shareholders. He (or she but I'll use 'he') is generally a non-executive director rather than an executive director. For contrast the CEO would always be an executive director. A non-exec director will normally be appointed by simple letter rather than a full employment contract, and his role will be limited. Often he might only be expected to work one day a month, and might only be paid £10-20,000 a year, compared to an exec director who will be expected to work as much as necessary and would be paid well into 6 figures. Many non-executive directors and chairman hold multiple such roles across numerous companies.

Generally if he was a full time Chairman he would be an "Executive Chairman", in order to distinguish the roles. In that role he would be more like a deputy-CEO whereby he not only chairs and runs board meetings, but also actively assists in making business decisions on a day to day basis. This would be unusual.

But JL's role is clearly not exactly analogous to a PLC Chairman. Firstly he's related to the sole major shareholder of the group - his dad. Secondly he does seem to have a more hands on, although not necessarily full-time, role than you'd normally see from a Chairman.

It's odd, it muddies the waters, and I think it means sometimes fans expect him to be doing more than maybe he should be. 

broadly speaking the Chairman's job is to manage & oversee the board, whatever that entails day to day, who knows? A lot of overseeing/broader planning, but judging by MA's character I would guess he has free reign to do whatever

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Have they specified who will be searching for a replacement? It was very clear last time it was MA and JL

1 hour ago, redordead1 said:

What a lot of guff

Ethically at odds, so has he done anything wrong, how long has he been in Bermuda, did he break lock down rules? you have no more idea than I do but quite happy to presume much, just to slag him off.

Full time paid role, so you know he is full time?, If SL want's JL within the club to oversee then do not see a problem as SL under-rights the losses and therefore any payment to JL. With the wonders of modern technology it does not mean he is not in touch or a party to what is going on as does not need to be physically sat at AG.  As for tax exile, wow there is a leap, from buying what looks like a very nice house and may have business interests, does not make him a tax exile.

We know that JL is full filling a roll for SL, maybe its one that is not even needed as you have a CEO running the business that reports to SL, but fail to understand the indignation of some on here about JL. 

Of course if he was here and involved the same people would be slagging off the fact he knows nothing about football, not fit to be chairman and should not be involved, so cant win.

FWIW I am pleased we have the son of our billionaire owner is also a supporter of the club involved and interested in the future of the club and does not matter if he is full or part time, but no doubt you would be happier with some faceless Asian syndicate with a lot of money on paper or a fake sheikh

Archived